PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Alltel/Verizon TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=72512)

KillAByteZ 06-22-2009 10:07 PM

Alltel/Verizon TP2

Got word from a ALLTEL rep. here in Texas. She said a guy went in (Im guessing a HTC rep. IDK :scratch:) and he had a TP2 with him. HE showed them all the features it had and that he was going to leave one in the store in a few weeks so a rep. can use it and see what they think about it. I was so surprised when I heard this. Too bad she is not to tech savy or else she could have asked for any specs. :angry7:

*IF this has bein posted some where here already please feel free to remove this thread*

Please don't flame me as Im only tellin you guys what she told me. I will try to get a bit more info for you guys.

slopokdave 06-22-2009 10:33 PM

Re: Alltel/Verizon TP2

Interesting.... keep hearing more and more about tp2's in the wild. I CAN'T WAIT MUCH LONGER FOR THAT 3.6" GOODNESS!!!

codybear 06-22-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slopokdave (Post 990805)
Interesting.... keep hearing more and more about tp2's in the wild. I CAN'T WAIT MUCH LONGER FOR THAT 3.6" GOODNESS!!!

I've heard it's not going to happen for about another 6-8 months.
For verizon that is...

slopokdave 06-22-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codybear (Post 990821)
For verizon that is...

Thats okay, I'm sprint. :headbang:

codybear 06-22-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slopokdave (Post 990830)
Thats okay, I'm sprint. :headbang:

Boo at sprint! :D
I was going to wait for alltel,
but they wouldn't get it before it officially 100% becomes verizon
(october-november).
And I really don't feel like getting a handicapped phone.
No point in it.
So I'd have to pay retail, and that is just wayyyyy too much for a starving college student. haha.

Noir 06-23-2009 06:07 AM

Quote:

For verizon that is...

I doubt it will take 6-8 months considering the touch pro release was 2 months after sprint...but then again they may try to milk the touch pro for all its worth =/

codybear 06-23-2009 12:51 PM

verizon always milks stuff out. the call center here didnt even hear about it 4months ago. my friends a manager and would tell me, but ya, he couldnt even find anything about it for the rest of the year, and as far as his release dates go(like 7 months).
plus, it will be gimped, alltel will be verizon by then, and youll just be paying for a special ed edition of the smartphone.

wesscoggin 06-23-2009 01:00 PM

My wife's husbands father's brother's sister's cousin said he heard from his mother's sister's daughter's brother's cousin that his great aunt's brother's daughter's husband's son said it's just going to be another gimped VZW phone when it comes (after all the other major carriers have it.)

entwined82 06-23-2009 01:03 PM

Im so tired of threads like these.

Unless you have a picture of someone holding the TP2 or video of it in use I don't think anybody really cares.

yearn 06-23-2009 01:23 PM

Geeeeez!
The guy was just passing on some info he tjought people might wanna hear about.
you might even say "contributing"
Give him a break.

psycho_maniac 06-23-2009 03:14 PM

dude dont say stuff like that. if alltel does manage to get the freaking tp2 i will go 100mph to the store to buy one without contract or maybe even with one since my upgrade is just around the cornerr.

jmorton10 06-23-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

For verizon that is...

I imagine we will be converting Sprint phones to VZ anyway as you know VZ will cripple it.

~John

codybear 06-23-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesscoggin (Post 991759)
My wife's husbands father's brother's sister's cousin said he heard from his mother's sister's daughter's brother's cousin that his great aunt's brother's daughter's husband's son said it's just going to be another gimped VZW phone when it comes (after all the other major carriers have it.)

don't be a ****.
This guy is reliable.
I can't say names,
and I was just saying where I got my info from.

And I said it would probably be gimped, not the other person smart one.
If you're going to insult someone, get your info straight.
Especially when it's sitting right there in front of you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho_maniac (Post 992055)
dude dont say stuff like that. if alltel does manage to get the freaking tp2 i will go 100mph to the store to buy one without contract or maybe even with one since my upgrade is just around the cornerr.

They won't get it.
Sorry.
But they won't.
If they do, i wouldn't be surprised if it was Verizon's version.
But considering Verizon won't be getting it for a while,
then Alltel won't get it.
Plain and simple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 992205)
I imagine we will be converting Sprint phones to VZ anyway as you know VZ will cripple it.

~John

Exactly my point.
VZ ALWAYS cripples their phones.
So what's going to make the TP2 any different?
They own 60% of the market now (atleast in US, not sure if that's a world wide number, I don't think it's world wide)
And with that kind of market controll, they can do whatever, whenever.

Thanks yearn.

wesscoggin 06-23-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codybear (Post 992408)
don't be a ****.
This guy is reliable.
I can't say names,
and I was just saying where I got my info from.

And I said it would probably be gimped, not the other person smart one.
If you're going to insult someone, get your info straight.
Especially when it's sitting right there in front of you.

I wasn't flaming or insulting. I was merely making a humorous commentary about rumors of the TP2. We've all heard them and the fact stands Verizon always lags and always gimps. I wasn't argueing just making a small joke.

boredandtattooed 06-23-2009 07:31 PM

first, HTC rep in TX? HTC is in Taiwan.. MY buddys been a GM ata sprint store for a few yrs now, so i called and asked him, no rep from HTC has ever been in any of his sprint stores, he said he doesnt even think they have a US office or HQ... you did say Altell, but Sprints a bigger carrier(take away VZW from Altell, so id think theyd go to sprint atleast once over the years if they did in fact release demo phones like that..

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 992205)

~John

wasnt there threads the last few days how vzw doesnt allow non vzw devices anymore? or you just gonna hack it over, like most people do for Sprint to MetroPCS?

Quote:

Originally Posted by codybear (Post 992408)
They own 60% of the market now (atleast in US, not sure if that's a world wide number, I don't think it's world wide)
And with that kind of market controll, they can do whatever, whenever.

Thanks yearn.

vodaphone the parent company to VZW? i think 60% would be a good numberfor the world wide market as well if Vodaphone does own em...

jmorton10 06-23-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 992552)

or you just gonna hack it over, like most people do for Sprint to MetroPCS?

Yup, I'm already planning on it.

~John

codybear 06-23-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesscoggin (Post 992520)
I wasn't flaming or insulting. I was merely making a humorous commentary about rumors of the TP2. We've all heard them and the fact stands Verizon always lags and always gimps. I wasn't argueing just making a small joke.

okay, my bad.
It just seemed like you were tryin to be an ***.
That's why I hate forums,
can't see the personality in the comment.

I'm like on edge one minute,
and fine the next lately too.
My back is being a *****.
The pain meds aren't working anymore....
I hope they figure out something tomorrow at the follow up.
I can't believe I went in there with a work related back injury,
and they were just like here's some vicodin, here's some ibuprofen,
here's an inflamatory steroid,
come back in a wek and we'll see how it is.
We'll take an x-ray if it still hurts.
Like wtf, If I screwed up my back,
I won't know for a week....
Glad to know they're on top of it! :angry7::angry7:

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 992552)
first, HTC rep in TX? HTC is in Taiwan.. MY buddys been a GM ata sprint store for a few yrs now, so i called and asked him, no rep from HTC has ever been in any of his sprint stores, he said he doesnt even think they have a US office or HQ... you did say Altell, but Sprints a bigger carrier(take away VZW from Altell, so id think theyd go to sprint atleast once over the years if they did in fact release demo phones like that..

wasnt there threads the last few days how vzw doesnt allow non vzw devices anymore? or you just gonna hack it over, like most people do for Sprint to MetroPCS?

vodaphone the parent company to VZW? i think 60% would be a good numberfor the world wide market as well if Vodaphone does own em...

Yes and no,
depends on the representative you get.
One might let you, one might not.
That's what I've been reading more-so with those threads and at other places. Plus alot of people will say that it's a different carrier's phone and they want to activate it with them or give it away that it's a diff carrier's phone during the conversation.
So you never really know if they do track it 100% or not unless you're on the inside.....

Oh btw, you can't take alltel from verizon,
alltel has always been running off of verizon cell towers.
True fact.

190rev 06-23-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 991236)
I doubt it will take 6-8 months considering the touch pro release was 2 months after sprint...but then again they may try to milk the touch pro for all its worth =/

Even with the 2 month after sprint release it never made it to the stores because it was "online only" for another month. Even after it launched everyone was confused on exactly what it had and what verizon crippled. Stores in Cali and Arizona never got it actually in the store!

The launch was extremely poor - but maybe that had more to do with the storm laumch (which was epic fail).

Without the storm this time around maybe verizon will release it unhindered in terms of timing (it's software and hardware will still be molested I am sure).

jeffH70 06-24-2009 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually there are two CDMA versions of TP2 registered with FCC. It looks like the difference between Verizon and Sprint versions might be pretty big this time....

kensig 06-24-2009 12:15 AM

i was at the alltel store today. friend works there and is a beta tester for alltel he just got a new htc phone that looks like a blackberry said he loves it so far. didnt ask info on it i like my touch screen and it does not have one.

digitard 06-24-2009 12:56 AM

Kensig,
That's the HTC SNAP.

I'm an ex-Alltel employee (5yrs w/ the company) so I hollared at a friend (who is also a tester, go me for getting him into that program before I left) and he confirmed the HTC SNAP is pretty nice so far. He's going to give me a rundown in a few days after playing with it more. He did say, though, that the SNAP is a world phone so it is the first non-BB for Alltel that can use a SIM card outside the US.

Anyhow... he also said that he hasn't heard anything yet for the TP2, and he wouldnt' be suprised if Alltel doesn't get it (as non-divested will be Verizon before they have a chance, and Divested will go to the respective groups) before all the mergers happen. He'll keep me in the loop.

codybear 06-24-2009 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitard (Post 993124)
Kensig,
That's the HTC SNAP.

I'm an ex-Alltel employee (5yrs w/ the company) so I hollared at a friend (who is also a tester, go me for getting him into that program before I left) and he confirmed the HTC SNAP is pretty nice so far. He's going to give me a rundown in a few days after playing with it more. He did say, though, that the SNAP is a world phone so it is the first non-BB for Alltel that can use a SIM card outside the US.

Anyhow... he also said that he hasn't heard anything yet for the TP2, and he wouldnt' be suprised if Alltel doesn't get it (as non-divested will be Verizon before they have a chance, and Divested will go to the respective groups) before all the mergers happen. He'll keep me in the loop.

And no one believed the short guy(me) about alltel not getting it.....
Have a little faith in your fellow comrades. :mrgreen::scratch::disgust::mrgreen:

thedudelasse 06-24-2009 04:09 AM

You can always order the device from Europe... HTC's original devices are always the best

digitard 06-24-2009 04:36 AM

Alltel/Verizon are CDMA carrier's

The European version is GSM.

./nogo.

shellguy 06-26-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwined82 (Post 991763)
Im so tired of threads like these.

Unless you have a picture of someone holding the TP2 or video of it in use I don't think anybody really cares.

92 posts and you want to slam him for sharing info? Ouch.

Will

yearn 06-26-2009 03:08 PM

Any of you Alltel guys havin data issues today?
I havent been able to connect to the internet for the last few hours?

psycho_maniac 06-26-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yearn (Post 998841)
Any of you Alltel guys havin data issues today?
I havent been able to connect to the internet for the last few hours?

works fine for me. just updated my weather with no problems. did you flash recently or what? notice anything else weird happeing to your phone?

codybear 06-26-2009 04:27 PM

working good for me too.

Noir 06-26-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffH70 (Post 993059)
Actually there are two CDMA versions of TP2 registered with FCC. It looks like the difference between Verizon and Sprint versions might be pretty big this time....

from that image how can you even tell it was just a declaration that gsm function is disabled on the world version of the phone =/
there's still no indication that vzw will be gimped...

yearn 06-26-2009 04:59 PM

Whew!
Its bact to working now, and yes I had flashed today so I guess it was just a coincidence but I was beginning to think something was seriously wrong!

codybear 06-26-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 999079)
from that image how can you even tell it was just a declaration that gsm function is disabled on the world version of the phone =/

Actually yeah there is.
Look at the history of verizon smartphones...
There's your indication.
You have to take in account the history of a company
when it comes to something like that.

No, there's nothing different about THIS phone.
The real statement here should be there's no indication that verizon will not
be gimping the phone.

Noir 06-26-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codybear (Post 999596)
Actually yeah there is.
Look at the history of verizon smartphones...
There's your indication.
You have to take in account the history of a company
when it comes to something like that.

No, there's nothing different about THIS phone.
The real statement here should be there's no indication that verizon will not
be gimping the phone.

vzw does it to one generation of phones (technically the touch pro, and many like the changes they made to the diamond)
how is that history!? its one generation of phones and if vzw knew touch pro 2 was going to be released and gimped the phone, we may not like it but it was pretty smart considering people are going to bank on the fact that touch pro 2 is an upgrade to touch pro 1.
secondly as far as my statement was concerned it was apt considering it was a mere declaration by htc that these devices will not be able to use sim card on American network. How is that any clear indication that vzw may or may not gimp the phone?

NinjaDuck 06-26-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

For verizon that is...

I think AT&T is going to be first. I am supposed to get a pre-release GSM version in the next week or two for testing. The CDMA model was not going to be ready for some time. Sorry...

codybear 06-26-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 999680)
vzw does it to one generation of phones (technically the touch pro, and many like the changes they made to the diamond)
how is that history!? its one generation of phones and if vzw knew touch pro 2 was going to be released and gimped the phone, we may not like it but it was pretty smart considering people are going to bank on the fact that touch pro 2 is an upgrade to touch pro 1.
secondly as far as my statement was concerned it was apt considering it was a mere declaration by htc that these devices will not be able to use sim card on American network. How is that any clear indication that vzw may or may not gimp the phone?

look at what theyve done. it's to more phones than just the TP.
Diamond, only thing they did that was good was the sdcard slot.
but other than that, it's a htc vogue. so they gimped that one aswell.
and there's more.
read up, you'll find them.

did you, or did you not say this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 999079)

Therefore you were the one assuming verizon won't gimp the phone.
I was replying to your post that you said they wouldn't.
it's verizon, its what they do.

psycho_maniac 06-27-2009 12:07 AM

id bet money thet the phone will be gimped no doubt about it

Rourke Swift 06-27-2009 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitard (Post 993124)

Whoa... that just made me realize something. I'm in a divested Alltel market, and am getting converted to ATT... does this mean sometime next year I get a FUZE and have to start trolling xda full time?!

Noir 06-27-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codybear (Post 999796)
look at what theyve done. it's to more phones than just the TP.
Diamond, only thing they did that was good was the sdcard slot.
but other than that, it's a htc vogue. so they gimped that one aswell.
and there's more.
read up, you'll find them.

did you, or did you not say this:

Therefore you were the one assuming verizon won't gimp the phone.
I was replying to your post that you said they wouldn't.
it's verizon, its what they do.

I never said they didn't do it just to the touch pro but I'm pretty sure I did say
Quote:

that one generation of phones is touch pro and diamond series. It's two phones. One generation, one iteration of HTC devices on verizon network has been altered due to both legal implications of the qualcomm lawsuit as well as (in the case of the diamond) having expandable memory instead of 4gb flash memory. And yes many people like that change in the diamond and it was one of the plethora of complaints about other diamonds.

Now I don't want to be a linguistic douchebag, but your comment echoes that verizon does this to all of their phones and fact of the matter is, that's not true. They've done it to 1 generation. Every other htc phone released by verizon has not been gimped (and if you count the vogue, the vogue didn't have wifi on any cdma carrier here and that was cut on sprint as well). Based on that, are you going to say the vogue was gimped too???

Are you also going to say it for the mogul, the xv6700, the xv6600 too??? because frankly those phones weren't gimped either. I think its you that needs to do a bit of reading
http://www.phonedog.com/cell-phone-r...r-verizon.aspx
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=625747
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=808

those are the htc phones released by both companies...and to my surprise vzw didn't gimp the phones compared to sprint...that's 3 generations of htc devices on each respective network and surprise they're not gimped...

What I call the touch diamond/pro? another generation of devices. There's no disputing the fact that vzw gimped this generation of devices. but to argue that based one ONE generation of devices (without adequate proof) that vzw will do the same is completely ridiculous.

Further, the only thing I said was there is no proof that vzw will gimp it. No reports, no device specs, nothing that indicates vzw will gimp it besides the simple syllogy
omg they gimp this generation of devices
vzw gimps all their phones
vzw will gimp the htc phones again

which clause two is completely and totally false. Based under that assumption you can't really make that conclusion. So if we're done with this linguistic fest, can we actually get to some real proof behind the discussion? Because frankly based on that declaration, that means absolutely nothing. Its a declaration by htc to say that the phone sim won't be able to be unlocked on American networks. How is that any indication to a gimp I will ask again?

psycho_maniac 06-28-2009 07:27 AM

im not getting my hopes up or holding my breath. why dont you guys call a vzw rep and say, "hey are you going to gimp what might be one of the best phones you are going to have this year?" they probalby wont know what you are talking about but i think it would be funny.

Noir 06-28-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho_maniac (Post 1001960)
im not getting my hopes up or holding my breath. why dont you guys call a vzw rep and say, "hey are you going to gimp what might be one of the best phones you are going to have this year?" they probalby wont know what you are talking about but i think it would be funny.

honestly
they haven't even heard of touch pro 2 to even know if the device was cut or not =)
I called and asked btw LMAO and in fact I always call and ask
anytime I have an issue with my phone I ask hey is touch pro 2 going to be gimped

psycho_maniac 06-28-2009 01:09 PM

HAHA NICEE!!!!!! what do they usually say? "whats a touch pro2?" LOL!!!!