PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   WARNING Battery Danger (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=68554)

kidmet 05-14-2009 12:10 PM

WARNING Battery Danger

I walked into my house early this week to the smell of burning. I couldn't find where it was coming from. Last night as I was gathering my laundry I noticed a burn through the back of my jeans. A HUGE hole. I had a spare Touch Pro battery in my back pocket. It had expanded and obviously started a fire in my jeans. They were in a clothes pile and buried, so I assume that there wasn't enough oxygen to start a fire. I will post pictures later, but be very careful where you store extra batteries. I was very worried about my home.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...htcBATTER1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...htcBATTERY.jpg

Unknown Zone 05-14-2009 12:13 PM

Re: WARNING Battery Danger

Did you have anything in the pocket besides your battery that would of shorted out the contacts to the battery.

It happen to me once, had some spare coins put a 9v in my front pocket and within min. my leg felt like their was a torch pointing at it.

qper 05-14-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidmet (Post 914630)
I walked into my house early this week to the smell of burning. I couldn't find where it was coming from. Last night as I was gathering my laundry I noticed a burn through the back of my jeans. A HUGE hole. I had a spare Touch Pro battery in my back pocket. It had expanded and obviously started a fire in my jeans. They were in a clothes pile and buried, so I assume that there wasn't enough oxygen to start a fire. I will post pictures later, but be very careful where you store extra batteries. I was very worried about my home.

That would odd for it to do by itself. Sounds like the leads got shorted. Was there any metal or foil in the pocket?

ou2mame 05-14-2009 12:16 PM

yeah thats really odd...what condition is the battery in now?

kidmet 05-14-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ou2mame (Post 914646)
yeah thats really odd...what condition is the battery in now?

I will post pics tonight if I remember. The battery looks all bloated and the metal casing is exposed. (And burnt of course) To answer earlier questions there was absolutely nothing else in the pocket. I make sure to keep all metal away from a spare.

psycho_maniac 05-14-2009 12:38 PM

wow this sucks. i never had this happen with my lg batteries. i usually keep my batteries in my wallet in a seperate pocket. maybe it got hot in the laundry? put hot clothes on your jeans and somehow? :S

shark1987 05-14-2009 12:49 PM

wow, I have my spare in my backpack, but I think I'm gonna take it out after hearing this. Maybe just put it in a baggy or something, that way nothing will get to it..

Laos101 05-14-2009 01:41 PM

either the contacts shot or you exposed it to heat. there are warnings on the back for such

was it an OEM battery or Some random?

jmorton10 05-14-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknown Zone (Post 914637)
had some spare coins put a 9v in my front pocket and within min. my leg felt like their was a torch pointing at it.

I had the exact same thing happen, that's not a whole lotta fun......

~John

retrodeviant 05-14-2009 02:16 PM

A lithium ion battery can burn at some ridiculously hot temperatures when ignited. Overcharging, heat and shorting it out via the contacts are pretty much the only ways to cause one to ignite, though. I don't see how just being in an otherwise empty pocket could cause one to spontaneously combust, though stranger things have happened.

K4el 05-14-2009 02:25 PM

Mythbusters contacted, we'll have our answer soon. =P

I'm with everyone else though, i doubt the battery spontaneously combusted. Maybe a manufacturing defect resulted in a short? It could also have made contact with metal snaps... rivets... what ever the hell they are called. I know my jeans have them.

orlandojumpoff 05-14-2009 05:07 PM

Glad you and your house are alright! Never thought a battery by itself in a pair of jeans could start a fire...

But i found this part funny... lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidmet (Post 914630)
It had expanded and obviously started a fire in my jeans.

\/\/\/\/\/ if it was oem, you could have those pictures all over engadget! They love doing stories on exploding phones/batteries

nxtech3 05-14-2009 05:09 PM

id like to see pictures, it probably leaked battery acid, which would cause the "burn" and the smell of a chemical reaction. All comes down no matter what to a defective battery. If it was OEM i would be raising he** with HTC.

ESsprint 05-14-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nxtech3 (Post 915341)
id like to see pictures, it probably leaked battery acid, which would cause the "burn" and the smell of a chemical reaction. All comes down no matter what to a defective battery. If it was OEM i would be raising he** with HTC.

These batteries, dont leak.
These type of things are what happens during an overcharge, course thats not what caused this event. They do sell bags that will contain one of these batteries exploding and burning, those of you who carry extras in your bags may want to look into them if you are worried.

Yankees368 05-14-2009 05:46 PM

I always keep a spare battery in my pocket as well. However, I put a piece of tape over the contacts, to prevent any possible short with anything else that may be in that pocket. Very scary, however, if true.

kidmet 05-14-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laos101 (Post 914829)
either the contacts shot or you exposed it to heat. there are warnings on the back for such

was it an OEM battery or Some random?

I only got to page one of replies, but it was dry, cool (inside), and stored alone. Pics on page one as promised. And not being charged and probably hadn't been charged for a couple weeks.

CheezWiz 05-14-2009 07:39 PM

These are lithium polymer batteries. There is NOTHING UNUSUAL about this. Just do youtube search and see the videos of how easy it is for these things to flame up when damaged. People in the Radio Control helicopter / Airplane world are well aware of this. These batteries are very sensitive to heat, shock, bending, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ithium+polymer

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...batteries.html

Granted, this is more common in RC stuff because of vibration, but drop a phone lipo, bend it, SIT ON IT, etc. and it can be a ticking bomb....

Talon Pro 05-14-2009 11:23 PM

Sounds like an ebay battery to me. You dont need much to set them off like that. PSP batts do it all the time, just dont buy cheap ones for that reason.

CheezWiz 05-14-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talon Pro (Post 916108)
Sounds like an ebay battery to me. You dont need much to set them off like that. PSP batts do it all the time, just dont buy cheap ones for that reason.

I agree 100%, buy good batteries!! They are built to better standards.

ou2mame 05-15-2009 12:30 AM

i used to race rc cars when i was younger, and i mean nitro thousands of dollars rc cars, and i saw this happen all the time. i never really thought about it happening with a cellphone battery though. i always carry a battery in my back pocket, i'm gonna start not doing that i guess lol... i'll just leave it in my car, surrounded by tissue paper (i have an audi, and its starting to break little expensive things lol).

Fat Tony 05-15-2009 12:36 AM

Sure it wasn't some bad Mexican food?

1999TL 05-15-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Tony (Post 916216)

LOFL. Nice one.

bishaudio 05-15-2009 01:57 AM

HAHAHAHAHHA sry this is just hilarious!

Ktk 05-15-2009 02:00 AM

Whoa, danger indeed.

Maybe your back pocket was rough and caused lots of friction on the battery, enough perhaps to make it asplode.

frazell 05-15-2009 02:00 AM

Yea I need to know the answer to that million dollar question too... Was this an OEM HTC battery or one from fleebay(eBay)?

GrandMasterB 05-15-2009 02:45 AM

WOW thats some picture!! Lol

kidmet 05-15-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talon Pro (Post 916108)

They actually are HTC batteries. I was able to keep batteries when I got new replacement phones.

kidmet 05-15-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazell (Post 916364)
Yea I need to know the answer to that million dollar question too... Was this an OEM HTC battery or one from fleebay(eBay)?

OEM... From HTC.

CheezWiz 05-15-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Tony (Post 916216)

LMAO 8)

wesscoggin 05-15-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ktk (Post 916362)
Whoa, danger indeed.

Maybe your back pocket was rough and caused lots of friction on the battery, enough perhaps to make it asplode.

Don't you mean "assplode"

MogulMan112 05-15-2009 02:55 PM

I would figure out how to get alot of free stuff from sprint.. or sue them or HTC... I mean if the chick that spilt coffee on herself at mcdonalds made millions i think u can get somethin too ;)

neudof 05-15-2009 03:08 PM

Is it possible that there was one of those pink metal foil security stickers in the back pocket of your jeans? i cant tell you how many times I have found those stupid things months after I have owned a pair of pants!

frazell 05-15-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidmet (Post 917006)
OEM... From HTC.

Thanks for that info. Scary... Very scary... Since I always carry 1 or 2 of those on me. This is going to make me question that habit. :|

devildog9999 05-16-2009 09:41 AM

Surprised no one thought of this - laundry basket full of clothes = static electricity. Or perhaps something damp / wet? Lithium and water do not mix well! Glad to see all you lost was a pair of jeans though.

akastixx 05-16-2009 10:27 AM

back pocket? maybe previously sitting on it was the culprit.

Exil3d 05-16-2009 10:45 AM

GTFO!!!!!!!!! This is too funny! This should be in my hilarious pic thread! Anywho, ever seens I waS A weeee little boy I learned never to carry batteries in my pocket. I once carried 3 double A batteriews in my front pocket (duracell) and suddenly I felt a burning sensation near my nom noms. I reached in my pocket to see what da helll was burning. Well.. turned out the 3 batteries where getting reallly got and fat. Something about carrying loose batterie sin your pocket makes them overheat.

guitardoc64 05-16-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nxtech3 (Post 915341)

For the record, in the interest of public knowledge;
Lithium ion batteries do not use acid. My guess is the battery case was either bent by your a$s sitting on it and cracked. The electrolyte leaked out into the cotton and reacted with moisture in the fabric in what is known as an exothermic reaction.
From wikipedia:

Liquid electrolytes in Li-ion batteries consist of lithium salts, such as LiPF6, LiBF4, or LiClO4, in an organic solvent, such as ether. A liquid electrolyte conducts Li ions, acting as a carrier between the cathode and the anode when a battery passes an electric current through an external circuit. Typical conductivities of liquid electrolyte at room temperature (20 oC) are in the range of 10 mS/cm, increasing by approximately 30-40% at 40 oC and decreasing by a slightly smaller amount at 0 oC.[20]
Unfortunately, organic solvents are easily decomposed on anodes during charging. However, when appropriate organic solvents are used as the electrolyte, the solvent is decomposed and forms a solid layer called the solid electrolyte interphase (SEI)[21] at first charge that is electrically insulating yet sufficiently conductive to lithium ions. The interphase prevents decomposition of the electrolyte after the second charge. For example, ethylene carbonate is decomposed at a relatively high voltage, 0.7 V vs. Li, and forms a dense and stable interface.

Exil3d 05-16-2009 10:53 AM

I had a mogul battery expand like it was about to go on labor. It was OEM and brand new never used. Let it sit in the box for over 7 months and suddenly when I wanted to use it, it was double its size. I took it to Sprint and they gave me a nother one.

-HAZE- 05-21-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orlandojumpoff (Post 915335)
Glad you and your house are alright! Never thought a battery by itself in a pair of jeans could start a fire...

But i found this part funny... lol

\/\/\/\/\/ if it was oem, you could have those pictures all over engadget! They love doing stories on exploding phones/batteries

You're right!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/21/h...rwise-fine-pa/

I got some cheap batteries along with a USB charger/cradle from Eforcity on ebay and the batteries came with a nice reusable plastic case. I can fit all 3 of my spare batteries in there and I keep it in my laptop case. I try not to carry batteries in my pocket for this very reason, and if I do, I put them in a plastic sandwich bag.

kevm14 05-21-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheezWiz (Post 915676)
These are lithium polymer batteries.

No, they are Lithium Ion, not polymer.