PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   What ROM are you running and why? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=66965)

thacounty 04-30-2009 12:23 PM

Re: What ROM are you running and why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by haus (Post 886633)
MightyROM5 for a few days now, seeing if it "works for me". I use Titanium rather than TF3D. It's growing on me, but I really wish I could make the font smaller so more things would show on the home screen.

What I really like about 6.5 is "dismiss all" notifications. That alone makes it worth the switch for me, as having to dismiss a missed call, voicemail, text, and email notification at the same time on 6.1 takes half an hour and makes me want to crawl in a dark hole in despair.

Pretty much everything else seems to work really well. The new start menu is growing on me, since it's a quick way to the apps list. Presumably as this stuff matures we'll be able to actually position apps where we want rather just than "move to top". I like the single-screen flick scrolling; no more overscroll.

Oh, and it's fast.

Thacounty's review is helpful, you should read it, though I disagree with the battery edit he posted recently. Mine is not a battery hog, so I suspect some rogue process (which has happened to me on EVERY WM device I have ever used at some point or another). Last week on the stock ROM my phone got really hot in my pocket, and when I finally noticed the battery had drained to 20% in about an hour. Same with memory leaks - I have never had a WM phone that didn't need basically a daily soft-reset to stay reliable. And I've used quite a handful of WM phones over the years.

I may remove the post about the battery. Sometimes my batteries just don't like to stay charged. If they go dead in 3 hours again though I will keep it! And yea, I understand a daily soft reset, usually I do about 6, but it shouldn't be running at 48% should it? I never had a mogul but wasn't that their problem? MR5 is great and I like it, I hope the battery lasts longer today. Of course I won't be texting near as much because I won't be in class hahaha. I also forgot to mention that I was out of service for about an hour and a half and from what I can tell that is bigger battery drainer than having wifi and bluetooth on together. Glad my review was helpful.

RonDutt 04-30-2009 12:23 PM

Silencerom9 Final here...best I've used for battery life, stability, and features. Make a few mods here and there and it's pretty much perfect. Run's like a well greased swine at 256MHz via nueDynamic (clocking down to 81MHz in suspend). Don't even get me started on stock clock...WOW!

haus 04-30-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thacounty (Post 886668)
I may remove the post about the battery. Sometimes my batteries just don't like to stay charged. If they go dead in 3 hours again though I will keep it! And yea, I understand a daily soft reset, usually I do about 6, but it shouldn't be running at 48% should it? I never had a mogul but wasn't that their problem? MR5 is great and I like it, I hope the battery lasts longer today. Of course I won't be texting near as much because I won't be in class hahaha. I also forgot to mention that I was out of service for about an hour and a half and from what I can tell that is bigger battery drainer than having wifi and bluetooth on together. Glad my review was helpful.

I know the battery thing is maddening. My Apache used to do it *constantly*. The phone would get hot and the battery would drain as if someone put a fork() inside a while (1) loop or something. Being in poor coverage will kill you, no question about it. I wouldn't attribute it to the ROM just yet though. Especially because of:

6 daily soft-resets...you have a software issue I think. I use MightyROM5, PocketShield, and not a whole lot else running all the time (I'm a strict business user, no fluff). For RAM, I'm not sure; according to my quick menu I have calendar, file explorer, and outlook open and I'm at 39%. That's perfectly normal. If the WM 6.5 slide to unlock feature worked properly I'd skip PocketShield in favor of it, but when I use devicelock it makes the 6.5 unlock slider come up twice which is really annoying.

Hope I didn't take this thread off topic; given the time thacounty put into writing that review I figured it would be worth responding. It's nice to see people who care and take the time to put their thoughts down. To the OP, mightyROM5 is worth trying. I think you need to identify your *immediate* deal-breakers carefully (I was one of the few who had constant 5-second freezes on juicy7 - even after two flashes and hard-resets), then find the ROMs that meet your needs and stay with them for a few days while you get used to the new interfaces. I hated 6.5 at first but I'm getting used to Titanium and now I'm actually pretty happy with the start menu functionality. There are quirks (like having to go back to square one every time you make a control panel change and get back to settings) but once you get your phone set up they don't really interfere with daily operation.

ebuzz 04-30-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TL (Post 886658)
Mightrom 4.16 is hands down the best rom out there for the TP in regards to stability and speed

I am sort of leaning towards the 4.16 ROM. It would be great to cook my own, just not sure I'm that good yet. And when you cook your own, where does the Office Mobile programs come from?

freeza 04-30-2009 02:32 PM

Juggalo's ROM has been by far the most stable bug free ROM i've used.

AB33 04-30-2009 02:40 PM

Might ROM 5 (WM 6.5 with TF3D) just switched from Mighty ROM 4.16 (based off WM 6.1)
-speed, stability, and battery life like all the Mighty ROMs

dougw03 04-30-2009 02:58 PM

I was on Mighty 4.16 for about a month and liked it then one day my battery just started dying. I switched to MR5 and it only got worse. I'm flashing back to 4.16 this weekend. IMO nothing is better about WM6.5 than 6.1, I was really hoping the keyboard lag would go away. Okay I lied, the pinwheel in 6.5 is much nicer.

jmorton10 04-30-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TL (Post 886658)
Mightrom 4.16 is hands down the best rom out there for the TP in regards to stability and speed

I agree 100%

~John

1999TL 04-30-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougw03 (Post 887147)
I was on Mighty 4.16 for about a month and liked it then one day my battery just started dying. I switched to MR5 and it only got worse. I'm flashing back to 4.16 this weekend. IMO nothing is better about WM6.5 than 6.1, I was really hoping the keyboard lag would go away. Okay I lied, the pinwheel in 6.5 is much nicer.

There is a definite keyboard lag in MR5. That's why Might 4.16 will be hard to beat.

MightyMike 04-30-2009 04:00 PM

until 4.17 hits the interwebz ;)