PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   I think I'm done. Getting a Blackberry (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60221)

BrokenLimits 03-06-2009 06:12 PM

I think I'm done. Getting a Blackberry

I had an HTC PPC-6700 and it was alright. I finally decided to get the HTC Touch Pro and it has been a nightmare. First it was just SLOW. So I changed out to a clean rom off here and then everything was better. Then one day it just rebooted itself and HUNG. I took it in to Sprint and they replaced it with a Refurb I guess.

The keyboard works when it decides it wants to (the entire purpose for having this phone) and the internet stopped working. Took it in to the Sprint store yesterday and of course the keyboard was working and now its not. They got the internet working again. Now today it is SO SLOW I cant even get it to SYNC before I hard reset it. So I lose a bunch of stuff I added to it.

I am just fed up. I wanted to believe in HTC but I just cant. I think its time for a Blackberry.

shaun0207 03-06-2009 06:17 PM

Re: I think I'm done. Getting a Blackberry

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenLimits (Post 757324)
I had an HTC PPC-6700 and it was alright. I finally decided to get the HTC Touch Pro and it has been a nightmare. First it was just SLOW. So I changed out to a clean rom off here and then everything was better. Then one day it just rebooted itself and HUNG. I took it in to Sprint and they replaced it with a Refurb I guess.

The keyboard works when it decides it wants to (the entire purpose for having this phone) and the internet stopped working. Took it in to the Sprint store yesterday and of course the keyboard was working and now its not. They got the internet working again. Now today it is SO SLOW I cant even get it to SYNC before I hard reset it. So I lose a bunch of stuff I added to it.

I am just fed up. I wanted to believe in HTC but I just cant. I think its time for a Blackberry.

Blackberries have just as many issues, bro. I was reading a article earlier where Congress is complaining about how bad the BB Storm is.

Personally I have never used a BB, but I haven't heard a whole lot of great things about them

Mylt1 03-06-2009 06:17 PM

well to save your items, there are several backup programs that will even save your programs you installed along with your contacts as well as text/pic messages. maybe you should look into one of them before you do a hard reset.

shaun0207 03-06-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mylt1 (Post 757335)
well to save your items, there are several backup programs that will even save your programs you installed along with your contacts as well as text/pic messages. maybe you should look into one of them before you do a hard reset.

+1.

Try SPB Backup 2.0. I just introduced a friend to the trial and he loves it. He is just learning how to tweak his Pro.

BrokenLimits 03-06-2009 06:33 PM

Sort of missing the point. I shouldn't HAVE to be using safe guards to allow the phone to mess up. I wouldn't be looking at the Storm, I am looking at the Nextel Pearl or whatever it is called.

shaun0207 03-06-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenLimits (Post 757361)
Sort of missing the point. I shouldn't HAVE to be using safe guards to allow the phone to mess up. I wouldn't be looking at the Storm, I am looking at the Nextel Pearl or whatever it is called.

ahhhh. Well good luck with the TP.

BrokenLimits 03-06-2009 06:38 PM

I just did a hard reset and the keyboard is not working again. Unbelievable.

Mylt1 03-06-2009 06:41 PM

safe guards as just that. its not meant to solve your problems but when you have a problem you dont lose everything you had on the phone. why havent you tried a custom rom? usually the stock roms are the most stable but some do have issues. unlock and try a custom rom for a bit and see if you have any more issues. if you do all you have to do is flash back to a stock rom and relock and again, that backup program works on custom roms so even when you flash you still have all that stuff saved and ready to go.

AboveTheBULL 03-06-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenLimits (Post 757324)

Damn, I really feel bad for you, man. I can really feel your pain. Some of these phones do have awful build quality, but I promise, when you finally get a good one, you'll never turn back. You might try contacting Advanced Tech Support at 877-345-7895 (at least that was the number three months ago), and just politely explaining what you've been going through. Also, make certain NOT to tell them anything about you flashing a custom ROM, as that will void your warranty... and you DON'T want them saving that info in your account notes. Anyway, the folks in advanced tech support might be able to assist you with getting a non-refurb replacement. I'd definitely try this before giving up completely on HTC...

BTW, during high volume periods, their overflow calls roll over to regular customer service. So it might just be best to ask if you've reached "Advanced Tech Support" before giving your entire spill. That way they can transfer you directly to the queue. Hey, I know I hate repeating a story over and over again to wrong agents...

Also, I'd like to piggyback on what Mylt1 stated about backup programs. Man, you absolutely can use PIMBackup (available FREE here --> http://www.dotfred.net/default.htm) to backup everything on your phone to your storage card. The only problem I've had was with SMS messages, and I figured out to simply disable threaded messages (and soft-reset) before backing up or restoring, then enabling it again (and soft-resetting) once finished. Beyond that, it's a GREAT option... highly recommended.

xgm541 03-06-2009 06:44 PM

well look, sometimes things dont work as theyre supposed to, and you are having an issue that i have never even heard of (non working keyboard, then working, then not). from experience, if you install a crapload of junk on ur phone it will slow down tremendously. the touch pro is more of a personal computer than a phone and if you want a phone that works the way its supposed to straight out the box... go for a simple phone.

as for BB, u will never be able to custimize ur phone as much as with the TP.

but good luck with ur finding a new phone.

chappy 03-06-2009 06:44 PM

The grass is always greener my man.

I look at it this way. The Touch Pro is a Harley. It doesn't have the best ride, get the best gas mileage, crap falls off of it on a ride, but man is it cool.

The Blackberry is like one of those Honda touring bikes. It gets you around, and is reliable, but it's pretty boring.

kitts 03-06-2009 06:45 PM

The Touch pro is one of the best PDA phones available in the market. You can keep it up-to-date by using the latest ROMs and UCs.

You got a lemon, get it exchanged with a new Touch Pro. Demand it from Sprint. If you are a valuable customer to Sprint you will get it replaced with a new phone.

xgm541 03-06-2009 06:47 PM

oh and as for backup.. try spb. what i do is backup once a week when i know my phone is working fine, and if anything goes bad, i restore everything including programs and registry as well as texts and call logs.

poopsie 03-06-2009 06:48 PM

It amazes me how some people say that their phone sucks. I would be willing to bet that 90% of the people who have problems are running 42 processes in the background, on a home brew ROM they built with no knowledge, while swimming under water and having dropped it from a 40' cliff. Yet, they are just beyond themselves why their phone is crap. I don't know if this is your case, I am not saying that, but I have seen it more then once on my friends phones. My wifes Blackberry has just as many problems as my Pro, she is on her third one in a month. I can tell you this, enjoy deleting emails twice, or pay $20 extra so you don't have to do that. Just my two cents-

BrokenLimits 03-06-2009 06:59 PM

I run NO Processes, I have run custom roms and I have played with them all. I havent even installed a single program on it man. I am a former tech support person. I know what I am doing. This is my 2nd Touch Pro. The keyboard is still not working at all now. I bet if I drive to the store it will start working in the parking lot.

Just so frustrated. I loved my 6700 It had its issues but I put up with it. This phone is just not even been worth the frustration.

BrokenLimits 03-06-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chappy (Post 757382)

I look at it this way. The Touch Pro is a Harley. It doesn't have the best ride, get the best gas mileage, crap falls off of it on a ride, but man is it cool.

The Blackberry is like one of those Honda touring bikes. It gets you around, and is reliable, but it's pretty boring.

I think im tired of calling the tow truck and just want the reliability lol

havox22 03-06-2009 07:18 PM

my brothers fiancee has the pearl and hates it she says she cant do anything that she need to on that phone...she got it for business purposes cuz she heard that blackberries were good for that, so maybe u want to look into a different blackberry then the pearl

ehanhan 03-06-2009 07:40 PM

User error is hilarious.

GhettoBSD 03-06-2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenLimits (Post 757361)

hahahahaha

"i shouldn't have to worry about using safe guards to allow windows/apple/unix/linux/calculators/ipods/microwaves... mess up."

that's life, dude.

The Twizted Guy 03-06-2009 08:18 PM

Sorry to hear you are having issues man. BB have their issues too. I have a blackberry as well, so take it from me and others. Any phone is not going to be drama free. You will ahve to live and learn with the issues and know how to navigate around them...

I plan on keeping my BB. This phone so outdoes any BB, but I am a crackhead for life. They only reason I will keep my BB service is the BB Messenger.

JE

Elite Precision 03-06-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chappy (Post 757382)

Man, you hit it right on head.....

elephant007 03-06-2009 08:25 PM

A few things I've learned about phones over the years
1. Comparing one phone that you really like to a new one that you just got always results in not liking the current phone.
2. Not liking the current phone because you compare it to the previous phone always leads to the thought of getting a different phone would be a better choice that the current phone you have.
3. You get the new phone and repeat the thought process taking you back to number 1 and thus the cycle repeats.

1. Compared to old phone
2. Don't like new phone because you compare to old phone
3. Think new phone is solutions: GOTO 1

mpeters13 03-06-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun0207 (Post 757333)
Blackberries have just as many issues, bro. I was reading a article earlier where Congress is complaining about how bad the BB Storm is.

Personally I have never used a BB, but I haven't heard a whole lot of great things about them

AMEN on the Storm comment. I work for a helpdesk and we all recently ran back to our AT&T Blackberry 8120s and 8820s after 2-3 months of Blackberry Storm hell. Never have I picked up an older phone and fell in love with it all over again. The Blackberry Storm has a laundry list of issues that literally SLOW productivity in any work environment.

As for the HTC Touch Pro, believe me buddy... I was there too. I decided to tough it out, though. I had the piece of crap swapped four times in a 3 month period before I finally got one that works the way it should. The device is slow as molasses, gaining at most, a usability grade when dumping a custom ROM on like Juggalo or Mighty. Right now I'm running a stock sprint rom with a modified page pool and the standard hacks. I've disabled touchflo and I'm using PointUI instead. Things have been good so far.

Blackberry is probably the way to go, as long as you realize they aren't perfect either. I have lots of friends who are pleased with their Curves. I'd probably switch too if I wasn't in love with the overall functionality I've gained with Windows Mobile. I love being able to browse files on my device and do whatever I want with them. The only other platforms offering that freedom are Android (like we'll ever seen one of those on Sprint) and Symbian (I know we'll NEVER see one of those devices.)

DaPeeps 03-06-2009 08:32 PM

I feel bad for you, because I have heard similar stories from a lot of people. It sucks....I feel so friggin lucky that I got a good one. I LOVE my Pro. I absolutley am in love with it. I wouldnt trade it for anything (thats currently out). Its an awesome phone with so many features that I dont even feel the need to use my laptop anymore. This phone is my link to life...I use it in every aspect of my day...and I wouldnt trust that to any old phone.

I understand what you're saying...we all make decisions based on personal experience. But trust me...the Pro is an excellent device...there are not hundreds of crazy people on this site raving about a phone that sucks.

My advice is to give it one more shot, and make it clear that you want a NEW device. I guarantee...if you get a pro that is not defective...you wont see the issues you described.

It really is like the bike comparison made earlier in the thread. The Pro is freakin hot. Its just sexy :D Blackberries remind me of old executives, wall street stiffs, or people that have no idea what they actually want from a phone and think Blackberrys are the best thing out there.

Ahhhh Windows Mobile....the Red Headed stepchild of the mobile world....I still love you!

BrokenLimits 03-06-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehanhan (Post 757474)
User error is hilarious.

Yes I made the keyboard stop functioning and made the phone hang on the HTC logo and not boot.

Ignorance is hilarious.

BrokenLimits 03-06-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPeeps (Post 757562)
I feel bad for you, because I have heard similar stories from a lot of people. It sucks....I feel so friggin lucky that I got a good one. I LOVE my Pro. I absolutley am in love with it. I wouldnt trade it for anything (thats currently out). Its an awesome phone with so many features that I dont even feel the need to use my laptop anymore. This phone is my link to life...I use it in every aspect of my day...and I wouldnt trust that to any old phone.

I understand what you're saying...we all make decisions based on personal experience. But trust me...the Pro is an excellent device...there are not hundreds of crazy people on this site raving about a phone that sucks.

My advice is to give it one more shot, and make it clear that you want a NEW device. I guarantee...if you get a pro that is not defective...you wont see the issues you described.

It really is like the bike comparison made earlier in the thread. The Pro is freakin hot. Its just sexy :D Blackberries remind me of old executives, wall street stiffs, or people that have no idea what they actually want from a phone and think Blackberrys are the best thing out there.

Ahhhh Windows Mobile....the Red Headed stepchild of the mobile world....I still love you!

Decided to do what you said. Swung by Sprint and the manager chick remembered me being in there. She got me a brand new and gave me the box and all the accessories and everything. So now I have 3 sets of everything and a brand new phone. She was really nice (I think she was flirting) and she told me "hopefully 3rd time is the charm" haha.

I really like the phone when it works, I just cant keep having to stop and get a new one and crap like that. Maybe I just got two lemons and the third time will be the charm. If not its Blackberry time lol.

elephant007 03-06-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenLimits (Post 757606)
So now I have 3 sets of everything

I hope that the phone does work out for you, WTG!!!! Good thing they gave you a brand new phone, man now that's Karma...
Funny thing Karma, I see now you have 3 sets of everything and you've run into good fortune... I'd say, give all of your 'extras' away!:mrgreen:

BrokenLimits 03-06-2009 09:40 PM

I was planning to do that once I get it all together and figure out which I want to hang on to. I know I dont need it all.

elephant007 03-06-2009 09:43 PM

Man I can't get over a couple thing from you
1. that no matter how frustrated you are/were with the TP you still hung on to hope
2. that you got a brand spanking new phone when you stayed calm and talked to the manager...

that's great, you don't a BB anyway because if you were to use it from Corporate email it would go through their servers first... unless that's changed...

either way, good score man!

gearjunkeez 03-06-2009 09:59 PM

Take it from someone who currently has a Touch Pro and a Blackberry Curve side by side. One for personal one for business... The BB just blows if you're used to WinMo. And since you came from a 6700 - you obviously used WinMo... Sure - the BB is easy, but it just feels like a regular dubmphone with a qwerty keyboard. My old Sanyo Katana was better. BUt anyways... glad you got a new TP. I love mine and it has worked perfectly since day one.

akareem27 03-06-2009 11:43 PM

I had a diamond then switch to a curve hten to a t-pro.The diamond was good but without a keyboard it sucked *** typing on the screen with the 1-2 sec lag (on everything with winmo) typing became a problem,so a curve became very attractive.I got the curve and while its a good steady dependable phone,it was boring.I mean,i got all my texts,emails,phone calls and the battery can go two to three days easy while regular use,im logged on all day and consistenly on myspace,it was too boring for me.With no other phones on the market like windows(1000's of apps) I wont be going anywhere soon

GrandMasterB 03-07-2009 02:30 AM

I just want to add to what everybody else is saying. Being a former BlackBerry user (Pearl and Curve) converted to the Omnia to the Touch Pro back to the Curve for a week and then back to the Touch Pro :)

BlackBerry is SO nice for the email and the battery life and thats it. You'll be bored out of your mind within the first couple of weeks. Theres just not much to them , thats why theres not much to go wrong , cause theres not much to them in the first place ;)

agentjonnyb 03-07-2009 02:37 AM

Iphones, blackberries, palms, you name it, they all have these issues, there is no escape, least not until the tegra based devices are out, but even then there's no guarantee, but certainly huge chances of escape from lag, crashing (except once in a while), etc I'm sure.

stifiling 03-07-2009 03:25 AM

i see u've been around since oct 2007, but only have 13 post. which really still kinda makes you a noob.

with that being said....have you really given windows mobile a fair chance?? having been here for a year and a half...idda definitely expected to see more then that few of posts. i don't know the ins and outs to the reasoning, but from the outside looking in...it appears as though u're jus primarily using your ppc as a phone. pop in and out of the forum once or twice a month to see what new, EXTREME, latest breakthrough has come out for it.

most geeks here are using the ppc as a phone 2nd. it's a computer first. and i absolutely believe the priority is vice versa for you...based on your user history on this website, it's pretty obvious. Am i correct?

You want a solid PHONE...that can do email, play a few mp3s here and there, couple youtube videos every now and then etc. is that right??

jucytec 03-07-2009 12:33 PM

Hmm, Touch Pro obviously ain't for Everyone, esp if you have Verizon's like me...

It's obvious BrokenLimit has a faulty unit/bad ROM, as I don't really recall too many people with non working keyboards. Instead of figuring it out... and making it work... You've decided to go BB... I'll respect that..

There's nothing wrong with wanting the phone to work correctly out of the box. Learning how to SDConfig, Flash, Build ROMs and this whole jargon about Kitchens and Cooks and SYS's and XIPs... You just may not want to deal with it...

But...

I got my TP, I cooked my ROM it works flawlessly, and I had the phone for a Month? It did take a lot of researching, but it was worth it!

I had the Pearl, and the World Edition BB, the most I got to do was change the visual theme... 0ooOooh.. You may have better luck now that BlackBerry AppWorld is out.

AboveTheBULL 03-07-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stifiling (Post 758021)
i see u've been around since oct 2007, but only have 13 post. which really still kinda makes you a noob.

with that being said....have you really given windows mobile a fair chance?? having been here for a year and a half...idda definitely expected to see more then that few of posts. i don't know the ins and outs to the reasoning, but from the outside looking in...it appears as though u're jus primarily using your ppc as a phone. pop in and out of the forum once or twice a month to see what new, EXTREME, latest breakthrough has come out for it.

most geeks here are using the ppc as a phone 2nd. it's a computer first. and i absolutely believe the priority is vice versa for you...based on your user history on this website, it's pretty obvious. Am i correct?

You want a solid PHONE...that can do email, play a few mp3s here and there, couple youtube videos every now and then etc. is that right??

I wasn't aware the post count expressed how much you read, utilized, and followed a particular forum.

Noir 03-07-2009 12:51 PM

agrees with above post
their post count has absolutely nothing to do with their knowledge of their phones. It is a ludicrous assumption that many have and comments like those sicken me..

That said
I am very lucky to have gotten my TP from here, one of the first batches too with a chrome problem as well...but I am very blessed to have a good one

Take it from me. Once you have a good one you will never EVER EEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR RRRRRRR go back. Its that good of a phone - at least till tp 2

elephant007 03-07-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AboveTheBULL (Post 758301)
I wasn't aware the post count expressed how much you read, utilized, and followed a particular forum.

you didn't know that the more you post the more knowledgeable you are? I mean look at all the tons of information I just provided by responding to what you said!! HA HA

mpeters13 03-07-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stifiling (Post 758021)

...Perhaps this person has a full time job, larger priorities than forum trolling... etc. Your comment struck me as odd, is all.

DaPeeps 03-07-2009 01:03 PM

I understand what you guys are saying about post count not meaning anything...and for the most part I agree. But I will also say its the first thing I looked at also when I saw the OP. Its logical to think its a possibilty that hes not as familiar with PPCs as alot of us...because the way a lot of us learned about these phones is reading everything and asking questions.

Again...it means nothing...but I can see how someone can come to that conclusion. I wouldnt go accusing the guy of anything though...

Having said that...the OP has stated that hes worked for a helpdesk (so do I) and knows what hes talking about. I am inclined to believe that...and truly believe he just got two bad Pros.