PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Touch Pro problem receiving calls (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=56773)

lowridin88 02-08-2009 06:41 PM

Re: Touch Pro problem receiving calls

I here ya man... I live in a rural area, but the tower is damn near in my back yard....

curneyusa 02-08-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymatt (Post 699286)
I think the TP just has worse reception than most phones. Maybe a radio ROM update can fix it...maybe not, I don't know. I also don't have the best comparison, since I came from Verizon, but even if I switch to roaming only, in places I previously would have great Verizon service, now I still have low to no signal.

I've noticed especially that in the spots where I show as having signal (with Sprint), when I miss calls, if I go to the ##DEBUG# screen, my Rx Power will be in the mid -90s, but sometimes my Rx Io/Ec (or whatever it is called...don't have phone on me this second) will be 30 db or higher.

Whatever it is, it is VERY frustrating to completely miss calls in places I supposedly have "good" or even "great" service (according to Sprint).

Do you have bars when this happens? I was actually looking at my phone (scrolling through photos) when it happened once and the phone showed service. How can it show bars of service but not ring? Where is the problem? Also, have you tried a new radio? I would like to know if anyone thinks that could help. thx

lowridin88 02-08-2009 06:59 PM

Yup, i have full signal, and we also have EVDO. Data/text/outgoing all works, its just the incomming that is a problem. Never have tried changing radio, never known much about it, or how to do it, but ill try anything if someone would know if it would work or not. I am on Alltel network in South Dakota, its a brand new tower thats been up for about a year now, supposed to be the latest technology there too, so who knows.. I talked to alltel tech support a while back and they said "get a different phone" standard answer when they dont know what they are doing....

nonstop 02-08-2009 08:19 PM

I had this same problem. The phone was missing about 10-20% of the calls and the worst part was occasionally the voicemail notification wasn't even reliable (one time it came 2 1/2 hours late).

I called tech support and they reprogrammed my account, I tried a hard reset, I took it into the Sprint store which did nothing and told me it tested fine. Finally I had them send me a new phone. So far, as far as I can tell, the new phone isn't missing calls. It's only been a week though and I don't receive a ton of calls so I'm not certain yet. I've tried testing it and haven't gotten it to fail, while I could almost always get my last Touch Pro to fail within 5-10 tries.

So my advice is to get a new phone, and don't listen to the store if they test the radio and say it's okay.

jmorton10 02-08-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymatt (Post 699286)
in places I previously would have great Verizon service, now I still have low to no signal.

I've noticed especially that in the spots where I show as having signal (with Sprint), when I miss calls, if I go to the ##DEBUG# screen, my Rx Power will be in the mid -90s, but sometimes my Rx Io/Ec (or whatever it is called...don't have phone on me this second) will be 30 db or higher.

Whatever it is, it is VERY frustrating to completely miss calls in places I supposedly have "good" or even "great" service (according to Sprint).

That was probably the main reason I switched from Sprint to Verizon service. I now use Sprint phones, but activate them on Verizon & never miss any calls.

~John

jringo718 02-08-2009 08:35 PM

I wanted to add that I too get voicemail notifications sometimes upto 3-4 hours late.

Also I am getting this problem on the stock radio, the new diamond radio and my current telus radio, so those didn't help if anybody wanted to know. This is all on Sprint btw.

mikenerd 02-08-2009 11:43 PM

So from reading the last 4 posts, its seems like it could be the phone, the service, or the phone and the service. Sweet! That narrows it down..... :)

thanks jringo718 for the info re: the radio. exactly what I wanted to know.

jmorton10 - I keep going back and forth on the sprint phone on verizon thing. I didnt really switch for the phone. I switched because vzn is $50 more per month for everything with I get with Sprint. Right now I cant decide if its ok to miss a call once a week (it is my important work line) for $50 more per month. I need to be sure its Sprint and not the phone, hence my questions. That would suck to switch and have it happen then!

lowridin88 02-09-2009 04:25 AM

I kinda figured this wouldnt be an easy fix... I was hoping for some quick fix

Anonymatt 02-09-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curneyusa (Post 699327)
Do you have bars when this happens? I was actually looking at my phone (scrolling through photos) when it happened once and the phone showed service. How can it show bars of service but not ring? Where is the problem? Also, have you tried a new radio? I would like to know if anyone thinks that could help. thx

Yes, I'll show 1, sometimes even 2 bars, and phone calls won't come in. I have this problem mainly at work, so I spent a while using my work phone to call my cell while my cell was in different "trouble" spots. I would monitor the signal by dialing ##DEBUG# (using the bars alone is kinda unreliable).

I posted my findings in another thread, but I'll summarize.

My phone setup: pretty much stock, but I did flash to the Telus radio. Didn't really see any improvement in anything, but didn't see anything negative, either, so didn't bother flashing back. I also did the "Roam Only" tweak so that I could test my results when roaming on Verizon.

First I wanted to see what Rx Power levels corresponded to what bar # is displayed. (I'm not sure the EXACT value it would change at, so I include the limits in both the high and low range)
It looks like anything worse than -105 dbm is 0 bars
-100 to -105 is 1 bar
-95 to -100 is 2 bars
-90 to -95 is 3 bars
-85 to -90 is 4 bars
-80 to -85 is 5 bars

Unfortunately there is another value that seems important to cell reception, and that is the Rx Ec/Io value (which someone said corresponds to signal noise, while the Power corresponds to strength), but this value doesn't seem to influence the "bars". It seems that 0-15 is good, 15-30 is ok, 30-45 is poor, and anything over 45 is really bad, and 60 or worse is unusable, but it might even be unusable at lower values. These aren't "accurate", since it was hard to control it (while the Power was easier to control, I would just place it farther from the window, or with more things "blocking" it). Also, these Ec/Io values seem to correlate with the Power values, but not 100% (ie usually poor Power means poor Ec/Io, but I've had poor Ec/Io even with good Power, and sometimes even vice versa)

So anyway, I've found that I do get slightly better signal (5-10 dbm better) with Verizon, but I'll still miss calls, even with forced roaming, especially if I have the phone in my pocket (where it is most of the time, unless I remember to put it on my desk, and where I have the most problems). The reason I point this out, though, is that with my previous setup, a Treo 700w on Verizon, I never missed calls ANYWHERE. Maybe since it is roaming, they aren't as generous with the service or something, but I would think that I'd at least get the same signal strength roaming on Verizon as I did when I was actually ON Verizon. This is what leads me to conclude that the Touch Pro (at least the one I own) has inferior signal reception, at least in comparison to the phones I've previously owned and operated on Verizon (Treo 700w, and prior to that an LG flip phone).

I've also noticed something that seems to complicate the problem, and that is that if I am on "Automatic" or "Sprint Only", and my Rx Power drops to worse than -105 (and usually the Ec/Io are bad also), then even when my Power and Ec/Io values drop to ~ -90 dbm and under 30 db, I still won't be able to receive a call, and sometimes my "bars" will go into "searching for signal" mode. I haven't been able to replicate this when set on "roaming only", so it makes me wonder if something about re-establishing a connection with Sprint takes longer than it should.

This could potentially cause more problems for me, since I seem to be in a "fringe" area (especially with my phone in my pocket...on my desk less than a foot away I'll have 3-4 bars), and dropping out of signal for just a couple of seconds will cause my phone to miss calls for the next minute or so.

Edit: also, I switched to Sprint from Verizon for a couple reasons. One "bonus" reason was to get the "better" (and cheaper!) Touch Pro, but the main reason was that having 900 minutes, and unlimited everything else (plus the "extra" stuff) on Sprint costs me less than half of what I paid for 450 minutes, unlimited data, locked (at the time) GPS, and none of the "extra" stuff, while on Verizon. I (perhaps erroneously) thought that being on Sprint I could at least roam on Verizon whenever I needed to, and Sprint supposedly has great signal in this area (just apparently not in the spot I spend most of the day in). Unfortunately, during my 30 day trial period I didn't notice that I was missing calls, and every time I looked at my bar level I was in the 1-3 bar range which seemed to be good enough. Of course about 2 days after my 30 days ended, I started having people ***** at me for never picking up my phone, and I realized that I was never even getting the calls (no missed call notifications, and they often didn't leave voicemails, but sometimes they would, and I'd usually get those notifications pretty instantly...which also annoys me. How is my phone so good at getting voicemail instantly, but 2 seconds earlier, in the same exat spot, the signal was't good enough to get a call).

nonstop 02-09-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikenerd (Post 699901)
So from reading the last 4 posts, its seems like it could be the phone, the service, or the phone and the service. Sweet! That narrows it down..... :)

Regarding missed calls and late voicemail:

Well theoretically it could be any of those things, as every situation is different. I think, however, in the majority of cases it's simply a common flaw in the Touch Pro.

I read about one guy on sprintusers.com who both him and his girlfriend had the Touch Pro, hers always worked and his missed calls (they lived together). The majority of people with a Touch Pro are previous Sprint users who didn't have an issue with their previous phone which also suggests it's a phone issue.

There is of course always the possibility of networks issues in each situation but I'm almost 100% certain this is a phone issue. What I'm not 100% certain about is if it's a problem every Touch Pro has that's only triggered in some instances, or if it's just a common flaw in a percentage of Touch Pros.

Regarding late text messages:

I think there are definitely some network issues here with Sprint, whether or not the phone contributes to this or not I'm not sure.