PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   2 months+ later are you satisfied? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=53776)

Kalnel 01-18-2009 09:34 PM

2 months+ later are you satisfied?

I'm coming up on having owned my Verizon Touch Pro for two months, and I was thinking today that I've never been 100% satisfied with the device (although it's not as bad as you'd think from some descriptions). I've tried several different ROMs -- and my hat's off to the wizards who are making that, GPS, etc. happen -- but no matter what I do, this device has never been as solid and speedy as I would have expected.

Frankly, I'm still not finding any major improvements over my 6700. Sure, it has GPS, a thinner form factor, and more storage, but in retrospect, I haven't found the Touch Pro to have been worth the cost of upgrading.

Obviously we all have different needs, uses, and expectations for these devices -- my disappointing device may be the best thing ever for you -- but I'm curious to know how many other people are feeling that the Touch Pro just hasn't met expectations.

Right now, I'd give it a C at best: Not a failure, but just average at most. Of the 10 PDAs I've owned, I'd rate this 7th or 8th.

What about everyone else? Are you satisfied with it?

kal

kyle4269 01-18-2009 09:40 PM

Re: 2 months+ later are you satisfied?

Now that GPS is working and Scott has made a good ROM i like the phone a lot more now. Im still not happy about the lack of memory. But overall im happy.

hibby50 01-18-2009 09:42 PM

Switch to sprint. I rate mine A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And more +s

jason25 01-18-2009 09:43 PM

coming from a 700wx to a Mogul then the Touch Pro, I feel it is a definite improvement. worth the $ for sure

TreyBeno 01-18-2009 09:45 PM

Dude the key word is verizon.

FrozenIpaq 01-18-2009 09:46 PM

Well worth it, and I paid the full retail price for my phone and am broke as a result. The only thing I'm displeased with is the graphics performance but that is a problem with all TP's. Running a custom ROM is a definite must though, greatly improves things

Dr.8820 01-18-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalnel (Post 649930)
I'm coming up on having owned my Verizon Touch Pro for two months, and I was thinking today that I've never been 100% satisfied with the device (although it's not as bad as you'd think from some descriptions). I've tried several different ROMs -- and my hat's off to the wizards who are making that, GPS, etc. happen -- but no matter what I do, this device has never been as solid and speedy as I would have expected.

Frankly, I'm still not finding any major improvements over my 6700. Sure, it has GPS, a thinner form factor, and more storage, but in retrospect, I haven't found the Touch Pro to have been worth the cost of upgrading.

Obviously we all have different needs, uses, and expectations for these devices -- my disappointing device may be the best thing ever for you -- but I'm curious to know how many other people are feeling that the Touch Pro just hasn't met expectations.

Right now, I'd give it a C at best: Not a failure, but just average at most. Of the 10 PDAs I've owned, I'd rate this 7th or 8th.

kal

i'm curious.have you every had a phone that you were 100% satisfied with?i think where people go wrong is that they upgrade to the newest thing without understanding their needs.

Kalnel 01-18-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr8820 (Post 649979)
i'm curious.have you every had a phone that you were 100% satisfied with?i think where people go wrong is that they upgrade to the newest thing without understanding their needs.

That's a very good and fair question. I wouldn't say I've ever been 100% satisfied, in the sense that there's always *something* I've wished a device could do or be. (For instance, I always wished my 6700 had been a lot thinner.)

But, normally, I'm pretty satisfied with overall performance. That's what's lacking for me in the Touch Pro.

I think part of my frustration is that I don't jump for the latest and greatest every year (at least the older and poorer I get, that's the case!) So, when I wait a couple of years to upgrade, I expect a considerable performance improvement over my older device. With the Touch Pro, I'm sort of left with the feeling that I might have been wiser to wait another year before upgrading.

That's kind of what prompted me to start the thread. Without getting into a whole it's good/it's bad/Verizon suck/etc debate, I'm just curious if other people are feeling satisfied with their purchase.

kal

TreyBeno 01-18-2009 10:11 PM

In all honesty the core problem is that its still windows mobile 6.1

TheRealHotshot 01-18-2009 10:25 PM

Sorry to the OP because this is the 1st phone I owned that lived way past what I thought it can do. I had the 6700 and the mogul but nice phones but was missing keythings I needed it to do but the touch pro is a dream come true in a age of iphone not able to copy and paste and blackberry's well they are just blackberry's lol at this point I feel like its not much my touch pro can do. If they make the PIE better and able to use more sites that I can't go to now than I feel like they really made a BEAST. Its A++ in my book

hibby50 01-18-2009 10:26 PM

ur with sprint though^^^^^

Dr.8820 01-18-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalnel (Post 650025)
That's a very good and fair question. I wouldn't say I've ever been 100% satisfied, in the sense that there's always *something* I've wished a device could do or be. (For instance, I always wished my 6700 had been a lot thinner.)

But, normally, I'm pretty satisfied with overall performance. That's what's lacking for me in the Touch Pro.

I think part of my frustration is that I don't jump for the latest and greatest every year (at least the older and poorer I get, that's the case!) So, when I wait a couple of years to upgrade, I expect a considerable performance improvement over my older device. With the Touch Pro, I'm sort of left with the feeling that I might have been wiser to wait another year before upgrading.

That's kind of what prompted me to start the thread. Without getting into a whole it's good/it's bad/Verizon suck/etc debate, I'm just curious if other people are feeling satisfied with their purchase.

kal

the reason i asked is because i had the vougue(touch)and loved it although i felt it lack alot of features.i have upgraded to the pro but with the overheating issues,it makes this phone very hard to use without a couple of batteries nearby.but i won't change models because the next one might be worse.plus a software upgrade is in the works,so i'm going to hold out.maybe this will help you decide.

Kalnel 01-18-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not_A_Stain (Post 650068)
Sorry to the OP because this is the 1st phone I owned that lived way past what I thought it can do. I had the 6700 and the mogul but nice phones but was missing keythings I needed it to do but the touch pro is a dream come true in a age of iphone not able to copy and paste and blackberry's well they are just blackberry's lol at this point I feel like its not much my touch pro can do. If they make the PIE better and able to use more sites that I can't go to now than I feel like they really made a BEAST. Its A++ in my book

Well, there you go -- it's definitely a perception thing.

In my case, I'd call the keyboards about equal on the (Verizon) TP versus the 6700. I like the shift/function approach and having a numbers row on the TP, but that stupid M placement and a few missing keys are driving me nuts.

As far as functionality, GPS is the only thing that I've found the TP can do that the 6700 couldn't. Of course, the 6700 had IR, which I used a lot and the TP doesn't, so it's give and take.

Personally, I don't think there's any "right" or "wrong" opinion in all this, since it comes down to whether the device does what you the user want it to do, the way you want it to work.

It's just interesting to me to see what everyone thinks after they've had a chance to use it and tweak it for a while.

kal

enter260 01-18-2009 10:52 PM

i bought mines on 12/27/08. right now, it's packaged back up in the box and ready to go back to sprint. at first, i was really satisfied with the device, being as it was the first smart phone i've ever owned. however, after spending a lot of time browsing these forums, reading, learning, switching roms, applying tweaks, i've discovered how imperfect this device is. there are so many issues that annooy me, especially since it's sprint's flagship phone. the final nail in the coffin was the announcement of the palm pre. so i'm gonna wait for that to come out. :)

edit: just realized this was for the verizon version

Kalnel 01-18-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enter260 (Post 650130)
i bought mines on 12/27/08. right now, it's packaged back up in the box and ready to go back to sprint. at first, i was really satisfied with the device, being as it was the first smart phone i've ever owned. however, after spending a lot of time browsing these forums, reading, learning, switching roms, applying tweaks, i've discovered how imperfect this device is. there are so many issues that annooy me, especially since it's sprint's flagship phone. the final nail in the coffin was the announcement of the palm pre. so i'm gonna wait for that to come out. :)

edit: just realized this was for the verizon version

FWIW, keep in mind that no device is "perfect." I wish you well with the Palm Pre, but I'd bet that you'll find forums full of people pointing out its "imperfections," too. One guy's "perfect" is the next guy's "totally sucks."

If you've never owned a smartphone before, you'd be smart to give a lot of thought to what you want it to do before you buy, then read lots of forums to see how well a device you're considering does those things specifically.

Geekcop 01-18-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreyBeno (Post 649960)
Dude the key word is verizon.

That may be, but some of us either don't want to fork out the ETF to make the jump to Sprint, or we stick with VZW because it still provides superior coverage in spite of it's other faults, which is my situation. Neither Sprint, ATT, or T-Mo have the coverage in my end of L.A. that VZW does

scrosler 01-18-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibby50 (Post 649950)
Switch to sprint. I rate mine A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And more +s

Hibby. I am confused. Do you like your phone????

Ahahahaha!

orlandojumpoff 01-18-2009 11:38 PM

im wondering if the op would be a lil more satisfied if it wasnt the crippled verizon version.....

Dr.8820 01-18-2009 11:49 PM

i, like the op, would like to keep this on topic please.let's not turn this into a verizon/sprint thing.the bottom line is the pro needs help.it doesn't matter who the carrier is,this thread is about the pro.

Kalnel 01-18-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orlandojumpoff (Post 650264)
im wondering if the op would be a lil more satisfied if it wasnt the crippled verizon version.....

Hard to say. I went into this phone with eyes open and was awarre of the VZW limitations/crips, most of which have been addressed thru ROMs. (Can't do much about small memory or keyboard tho...)

I haven't spent much time with the Sprint or ATT versions beyond in-store playing, but based on that, they didn't seem any faster than the VZW.

HBOOT 01-19-2009 12:00 AM

TP rocks if you rock it, can t rock VZ 1 though unless u smokin rock

TwoDawgs 01-19-2009 12:02 AM

I didn't really care for my TP when I first received it. It was just way too slow, even without any programs installed.

Unlocking the GPS helped but the real change for me came with the first custom ROM release.

I have used quite a few different custom ROMs on my TP. scrosler has been a life saver for my VZW TP.

enter260 01-19-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalnel (Post 650153)
FWIW, keep in mind that no device is "perfect." I wish you well with the Palm Pre, but I'd bet that you'll find forums full of people pointing out its "imperfections," too. One guy's "perfect" is the next guy's "totally sucks."

If you've never owned a smartphone before, you'd be smart to give a lot of thought to what you want it to do before you buy, then read lots of forums to see how well a device you're considering does those things specifically.

i could live with a tp but the problem is, it doesn't do what i need it to do well. i truly believe sprint has the worst selection of phones so my options are limited. if i was on verizon, that would be a different story.

speaking about "imperfections" of the palm pre: people are just pointing out lack of features, not performance issues, as no one has one yet. i was very satisfied with the set of features the tp has. however, some of them are very poorly implemented (slow camera, lagging gps, etc) which annoys the crap out of me. it bothers me so much that it's going back. i know the palm pre won't be a perfect phone but it will be a lot more usuable, for me anyway (or at least i hope) :)

Dr.8820 01-19-2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enter260 (Post 650348)
i could live with a tp but the problem is, it doesn't do what i need it to do well. i truly believe sprint has the worst selection of phones so my options are limited. if i was on verizon, that would be a different story.

AGAIN,this isn't sprint/verizon.it's about the phone.period.

dan-htc-touch 01-19-2009 12:17 AM

well, untill last week, this phone was not what I was hoping for, but sinse I cooked up my own custom rom with ppckitchen and flashed the 1.11.00 radio, battery life is excelent, and the rom is so fast it is finished loading stuff before I am done pulling my stylus away after clicking, performance and ability to multitask is far better than the titan ever was, and I would never dream of going back.

BigDiesel07 01-19-2009 12:18 AM

I am alright with it... Happy I have this over the Mogul..

scrosler 01-19-2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalnel (Post 649930)

kal

Best phone I ever owned once I put my Custom on it! See my sig block.

Blows away everything. Not even close at this point! The transformation from stock to Custom made the diff.

One through ten, I give it a 12!

I hopeyou find a phone that you enjoy. Before ditichgin it though, try my ROM. ITs a world difference as far as perf.

I do however miss my hard buttons on the Titan. I got used to it now.... Just give mem my soft keys and a start menu. Thats all I want. But that defats the intent of the phone. Its a touch series phone and not a PPC Phone. I see alot opeopel complain about that but they dont understand the concepts. If this DID have the hard buttons I woudl give it a 15 out of 10 ;c)

enter260 01-19-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr8820 (Post 650372)

i was responding to his comment on how i should research on a smartphone before i buy it, but there is a terrible selection from sprint, aside from the blackberries.

steveoski 01-19-2009 01:31 AM

i recently switched from the htc diamond to to the pro and flashed to juicy 4.7 and i have to tell you this phone is definatly faster. there is no lag and i can actgually go a couple days without having to do a soft reset or the phone slowing and yada yada yada..

kyrumo 01-19-2009 01:52 AM

I bought my Verizon Touch Pro 12/23/2008 and I loved it when I got it, then I went to Sprint to look at what new phones they had so I decided to look at the Sprint Touch Pro, after I played with the Sprint Touch Pro I felt robbed, its soooo obvious that Sprint put so much more into thier Touch Pro then Verizon did :-(

So it crossed my mind to flash a Sprint Touch Pro onto the Verizon Network or to port my number to Sprint, I decided to go to Best Buy and pay $199.99 for the Sprint Touch Pro which is $88.00 less then I payed for the Verizon Touch Pro.

With the Sprint Touch Pro I got.
1. Unlocked GPS
2. 1 gig micro sd
3. Screen Protector
4. Stereo Headset
5. Carry Case
6. Youtube App
7. 288 MB Ram
8. Mobile Tv
9. Faster data speeds and better reception in my area.

I have called Sprint Customer Service 3 time and it was great :-)

Kalnel 01-19-2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrosler (Post 650431)
Best phone I ever owned once I put my Custom on it! See my sig block.

I hopeyou find a phone that you enjoy. Before ditichgin it though, try my ROM. ITs a world difference as far as perf.

I do however miss my hard buttons on the Titan. I got used to it now.... Just give mem my soft keys and a start menu. Thats all I want. But that defats the intent of the phone. Its a touch series phone and not a PPC Phone. I see alot opeopel complain about that but they dont understand the concepts. If this DID have the hard buttons I woudl give it a 15 out of 10 ;c)

Hi Scott,

Actually, I'm using your ROM -- on my 3rd one or yours, I think. (Haven't flashed your newest yet though.) It definitely helps -- and I admire your work a lot -- but I'm still finding the device really slow, even as compared to the 6700.

For example, opening a small spreadsheet (147K) from click to loaded takes 15 seconds -- about the same as it took on my 6700. (This is on a freshly booted device with 47MB free, NOT running TF3D.) VZW Nav takes almost 20 seconds to load fresh, as does Visual Voice Mail.

That's ridiculously slow -- I had a Jornada that was quicker back in 2000.

Agree completely about wanting more hard buttons -- miss them a lot.

But, I'm perplexed your comment about this being a "touch" device, and not a pocket PC, since it runs WM Pro. Apart from the marketing gimmick in the name and the Today add-in, I've never seen anything from HTC, Verizon, or anyone else that suggests this phone is any more "touch" oriented than any other WinMob Pro phone. The Diamond, sure, it's ONLY touch, but that's a different story.

And, if that's the case, frankly, I'm even more disappointed, because I don't think it works particularly well as a touch device. I'm not a fan of TF3D and I don't find the screen very accurate or precise, as compared to previous WinMobs I've owned. Other than the scroll thing, there's nothing I've seen in this device that makes it any more touch friendly than, say, the 6700.

But the main point is, even with tweaking and regardless of whether it's "touch," I'm just not very satisfied. YMMV, depending on what your expectations are, but I expected this device to be the same kind of "mini-laptop" workhorse the 6700 was, but faster and more versatile.

Just ain't seeing it yet...

ramborami 01-19-2009 02:04 AM

I've come from the 6700, then 6800, now 6850... I see major progress, but still, nothing can touch that darned iPhone...
Anyhow, I really love this phone except for battery life. The 6800 had at least 30% better battery life than the Touch Pro while being 30% lighter in weight. The VGA screen is just so beautiful though!!!

kyle4269 01-19-2009 02:15 AM

A friend of mine has the Iphone and it sure does look nice. His can do things mine cant and vice versa. But I'll stick with my TP!

scrosler 01-19-2009 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalnel (Post 650598)

But, I'm perplexed your comment about this being a "touch" device, and not a pocket PC, since it runs WM Pro. Apart from the marketing gimmick in the name and the Today add-in, I've never seen anything from HTC, Verizon, or anyone else that suggests this phone is any more "touch" oriented than any other WinMob Pro phone. The Diamond, sure, it's ONLY touch, but that's a different story.

Just ain't seeing it yet...

AS far as it being called a TGouch device. Its so stated on the product categries on the HTC site here: http://www.htc.com/us/product.aspx

AS far as your overall satisfaction... Well maybe its time to move on. Not every phone eill meet everyones needs. I use my phone for process A, you use it for Process B. Process B is not acceptable to you while I love how Process A functions.

Its all choice my firned.

Kalnel 01-19-2009 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrosler (Post 650683)
AS far as it being called a TGouch device. Its so stated on the product categries on the HTC site here: http://www.htc.com/us/product.aspx

AS far as your overall satisfaction... Well maybe its time to move on. Not every phone eill meet everyones needs. I use my phone for process A, you use it for Process B. Process B is not acceptable to you while I love how Process A functions.

Its all choice my firned.

Well, yeah, that's what I've been saying all along -- my question was general in that I'm curious to see how other people feel, not saying that they're right or wrong.

But, as far as it being "touch" rather than WinMob Pro -- that's just a marketing come on. It's a WinMob Pro device, and should operate well as such. This device has touch AND a keyboard (like every other WinMob Pro).

Here's the quote from the HTC page:
"A device for every need
Each device is designed with specific communication requirements in mind. Whether you seek intuitive touch screen technology, a full keyboard for intensive typing, built-in GPS for in-car navigation or an ultra-fast internet connection to keep abreast of the latest information… there’s a HTC device to suit. Functionality though, is never at the detriment to the aesthetic though, with all HTC devices remembering to be pleasing to the eye and touch… no matter how technologically advanced."

scrosler 01-19-2009 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalnel (Post 650727)
Well, yeah, that's what I've been saying all along -- my question was general in that I'm curious to see how other people feel, not saying that they're right or wrong.

But, as far as it being "touch" rather than WinMob Pro -- that's just a marketing come on. It's a WinMob Pro device, and should operate well as such. This device has touch AND a keyboard (like every other WinMob Pro).

Yeah, umm... Here is what I think. And thats just me thinking (which can sometimes be dangerous)....

You have the Smart Phone, The Pocket PC phone and the Touch Phone.

Your right its a marketing gimick... For now. I think HTC is trying to standardize this like the term PPC and Smartphone.

Just what I think which is why I mentioned it.

So now tell me this.... If you have one SINGLE issue to resolve. SINGLE issue that can be fixed, nothing like make the screen bigger or add more memory, what woudl it be?

DSGamer 01-19-2009 03:31 AM

The problem with the "touch" aspect of the HTC Touch Pro is that it isn't a capacitive touchscreen. So unlike the G1, the iPhone, the Pre when it releases, and other modern phones it doesn't respond as well as you'd like the phone to respond. Windows Mobile is partly to blame, but the screen type is partly to blame as well.

As far as missing the hard buttons, etc. I'm not sure what to tell you. I've been on a Touch Pro, then a Palm Centro and I'm going back to a Touch Pro soon. Main reason being that because of programming/shifting on a new bike/other things I do with my thumbs, I've developed tendonitis in my thumbs. A phone that has almost complete voice control like the Touch Pro and an interface that can largely be interacted with via the touch screen is tempting me again.

imneveral0ne 01-19-2009 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr8820 (Post 650372)

actually they aren't the same phone, so there are obvious differences. one version, unfortunately, is better than the other :-\

sbux_jae 01-19-2009 04:02 AM

My device has random freeze-ups, even when using custom ROMS. Touch pro is an awesome device, but it takes so much effort just to get there. I can't wait until the Pre comes out, definitely ditching WM 6.1...

imneveral0ne 01-19-2009 04:13 AM

why ditch win mobile? at least wait till 6.5 comes out and see if you like it better :-p