PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   2 months+ later are you satisfied? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=53776)

Kalnel 01-19-2009 01:56 AM

Re: 2 months+ later are you satisfied?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrosler (Post 650431)
Best phone I ever owned once I put my Custom on it! See my sig block.

I hopeyou find a phone that you enjoy. Before ditichgin it though, try my ROM. ITs a world difference as far as perf.

I do however miss my hard buttons on the Titan. I got used to it now.... Just give mem my soft keys and a start menu. Thats all I want. But that defats the intent of the phone. Its a touch series phone and not a PPC Phone. I see alot opeopel complain about that but they dont understand the concepts. If this DID have the hard buttons I woudl give it a 15 out of 10 ;c)

Hi Scott,

Actually, I'm using your ROM -- on my 3rd one or yours, I think. (Haven't flashed your newest yet though.) It definitely helps -- and I admire your work a lot -- but I'm still finding the device really slow, even as compared to the 6700.

For example, opening a small spreadsheet (147K) from click to loaded takes 15 seconds -- about the same as it took on my 6700. (This is on a freshly booted device with 47MB free, NOT running TF3D.) VZW Nav takes almost 20 seconds to load fresh, as does Visual Voice Mail.

That's ridiculously slow -- I had a Jornada that was quicker back in 2000.

Agree completely about wanting more hard buttons -- miss them a lot.

But, I'm perplexed your comment about this being a "touch" device, and not a pocket PC, since it runs WM Pro. Apart from the marketing gimmick in the name and the Today add-in, I've never seen anything from HTC, Verizon, or anyone else that suggests this phone is any more "touch" oriented than any other WinMob Pro phone. The Diamond, sure, it's ONLY touch, but that's a different story.

And, if that's the case, frankly, I'm even more disappointed, because I don't think it works particularly well as a touch device. I'm not a fan of TF3D and I don't find the screen very accurate or precise, as compared to previous WinMobs I've owned. Other than the scroll thing, there's nothing I've seen in this device that makes it any more touch friendly than, say, the 6700.

But the main point is, even with tweaking and regardless of whether it's "touch," I'm just not very satisfied. YMMV, depending on what your expectations are, but I expected this device to be the same kind of "mini-laptop" workhorse the 6700 was, but faster and more versatile.

Just ain't seeing it yet...

ramborami 01-19-2009 02:04 AM

I've come from the 6700, then 6800, now 6850... I see major progress, but still, nothing can touch that darned iPhone...
Anyhow, I really love this phone except for battery life. The 6800 had at least 30% better battery life than the Touch Pro while being 30% lighter in weight. The VGA screen is just so beautiful though!!!

kyle4269 01-19-2009 02:15 AM

A friend of mine has the Iphone and it sure does look nice. His can do things mine cant and vice versa. But I'll stick with my TP!

scrosler 01-19-2009 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalnel (Post 650598)

But, I'm perplexed your comment about this being a "touch" device, and not a pocket PC, since it runs WM Pro. Apart from the marketing gimmick in the name and the Today add-in, I've never seen anything from HTC, Verizon, or anyone else that suggests this phone is any more "touch" oriented than any other WinMob Pro phone. The Diamond, sure, it's ONLY touch, but that's a different story.

Just ain't seeing it yet...

AS far as it being called a TGouch device. Its so stated on the product categries on the HTC site here: http://www.htc.com/us/product.aspx

AS far as your overall satisfaction... Well maybe its time to move on. Not every phone eill meet everyones needs. I use my phone for process A, you use it for Process B. Process B is not acceptable to you while I love how Process A functions.

Its all choice my firned.

Kalnel 01-19-2009 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrosler (Post 650683)
AS far as it being called a TGouch device. Its so stated on the product categries on the HTC site here: http://www.htc.com/us/product.aspx

AS far as your overall satisfaction... Well maybe its time to move on. Not every phone eill meet everyones needs. I use my phone for process A, you use it for Process B. Process B is not acceptable to you while I love how Process A functions.

Its all choice my firned.

Well, yeah, that's what I've been saying all along -- my question was general in that I'm curious to see how other people feel, not saying that they're right or wrong.

But, as far as it being "touch" rather than WinMob Pro -- that's just a marketing come on. It's a WinMob Pro device, and should operate well as such. This device has touch AND a keyboard (like every other WinMob Pro).

Here's the quote from the HTC page:
"A device for every need
Each device is designed with specific communication requirements in mind. Whether you seek intuitive touch screen technology, a full keyboard for intensive typing, built-in GPS for in-car navigation or an ultra-fast internet connection to keep abreast of the latest information… there’s a HTC device to suit. Functionality though, is never at the detriment to the aesthetic though, with all HTC devices remembering to be pleasing to the eye and touch… no matter how technologically advanced."

scrosler 01-19-2009 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalnel (Post 650727)
Well, yeah, that's what I've been saying all along -- my question was general in that I'm curious to see how other people feel, not saying that they're right or wrong.

But, as far as it being "touch" rather than WinMob Pro -- that's just a marketing come on. It's a WinMob Pro device, and should operate well as such. This device has touch AND a keyboard (like every other WinMob Pro).

Yeah, umm... Here is what I think. And thats just me thinking (which can sometimes be dangerous)....

You have the Smart Phone, The Pocket PC phone and the Touch Phone.

Your right its a marketing gimick... For now. I think HTC is trying to standardize this like the term PPC and Smartphone.

Just what I think which is why I mentioned it.

So now tell me this.... If you have one SINGLE issue to resolve. SINGLE issue that can be fixed, nothing like make the screen bigger or add more memory, what woudl it be?

DSGamer 01-19-2009 03:31 AM

The problem with the "touch" aspect of the HTC Touch Pro is that it isn't a capacitive touchscreen. So unlike the G1, the iPhone, the Pre when it releases, and other modern phones it doesn't respond as well as you'd like the phone to respond. Windows Mobile is partly to blame, but the screen type is partly to blame as well.

As far as missing the hard buttons, etc. I'm not sure what to tell you. I've been on a Touch Pro, then a Palm Centro and I'm going back to a Touch Pro soon. Main reason being that because of programming/shifting on a new bike/other things I do with my thumbs, I've developed tendonitis in my thumbs. A phone that has almost complete voice control like the Touch Pro and an interface that can largely be interacted with via the touch screen is tempting me again.

imneveral0ne 01-19-2009 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr8820 (Post 650372)
AGAIN,this isn't sprint/verizon.it's about the phone.period.

actually they aren't the same phone, so there are obvious differences. one version, unfortunately, is better than the other :-\

sbux_jae 01-19-2009 04:02 AM

My device has random freeze-ups, even when using custom ROMS. Touch pro is an awesome device, but it takes so much effort just to get there. I can't wait until the Pre comes out, definitely ditching WM 6.1...

imneveral0ne 01-19-2009 04:13 AM

why ditch win mobile? at least wait till 6.5 comes out and see if you like it better :-p