PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   replacement touch pro has yellowish screen? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=50388)

ou2mame 12-23-2008 10:38 PM

replacement touch pro has yellowish screen?

i just received my replacement touch pro, and the screen is very yellowish, compared to the crisp white screen of my older one... anyone else experience this? i'm going to have to call sprint and have them mail me another one.

HBOOT 12-23-2008 10:46 PM

Re: replacement touch pro has yellowish screen?

Sorry about that dude, post a pic,this is not normal. Dat isht gotta go back.:protest:

ShadowDrake 12-23-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ou2mame (Post 597121)
i just received my replacement touch pro, and the screen is very yellowish, compared to the crisp white screen of my older one... anyone else experience this? i'm going to have to call sprint and have them mail me another one.

Yeah, I just got my replacement today (Merry Christmas!)

I LOVE IT!

My old one had 1-2 bars of service here, this one has 4-6... YES!

The bottom keys aren't coming up

The back doesn't creak (the cover fits very tightly)

No broken earpiece, keyboard slide feels good, I'm very pleased!

Main issue though, I agree, the screen seems very yellow, noticably... Maybe I've gotten used to looking at the white screen of my Oct 16th manufacture date phone... People did complain about the screens being a bit yellow. I am going to wait a week or two to see if it gets any better.

ou2mame 12-23-2008 10:58 PM

i don't have my digital camera here, but its noticably yellow... i dunno. i put the phones side by side, and my old one is like almost blue its so white, and this is very yellow.

Merdinh 12-23-2008 11:01 PM

Dont worry thats, just a different screen used for easier stylus support.

HBOOT 12-23-2008 11:02 PM

Dont settle for less and talk your self out of sending it back. it isn't going to change in 4 weeks from yelloe to normal...Just make up your mind right now and send that isht back. :mrgreen: oh yeah do a HR on it and see whatcha get..

ou2mame 12-24-2008 06:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i did a hard reset as soon as i got the phone, and while i was customizing it, i realized that something was off with the screen. it looked a bit dull, like the colors weren't right. i put it up next to my other one, and yeah... its completely yellow compared to it. this pic kinda shows it, but at the very least, you can see that the lcd is actually dull compared to the other one.

Decidion 12-24-2008 06:16 AM

I picked up my first TP a week ago and on about day three I noticed a yellowish area in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Almost as if someone took a mostly dried out highlighter and swiped across the screen a little. It isn't on the screen protector or glass...it's something on the LCD panel ltself. I'll probably just wait until after the holiday madness and trade in for another one.

ou2mame 12-24-2008 06:20 AM

my current phone works fine, but for a while it was crashing and whatnot even after a hard reset.. i dunno what happened. i flashed to another rom and its been fine. the chrome is cracked on it, and i figured there might be some things fixed in a new unit, so i was going to use the new one... but after seeing the screen, if this is how all the new ones are, i'll stick to what i have.

grandmasterlarry 12-24-2008 08:46 AM

This might sound dumb but is the brightness set to the same on both phones? Turn them both up to max and compare. Post another pic of that so we can get a good idea of what’s going on here…

GML
Quote:

Originally Posted by ou2mame (Post 597929)
i did a hard reset as soon as i got the phone, and while i was customizing it, i realized that something was off with the screen. it looked a bit dull, like the colors weren't right. i put it up next to my other one, and yeah... its completely yellow compared to it. this pic kinda shows it, but at the very least, you can see that the lcd is actually dull compared to the other one.

dallas contractor 12-24-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmasterlarry (Post 597972)
This might sound dumb but is the brightness set to the same on both phones? Turn them both up to max and compare. Post another pic of that so we can get a good idea of what’s going on here…

GML

That was going to be my question too.

ou2mame 12-24-2008 03:16 PM

they were both set to exactly halfway.. i can set them to max too if you want.

Baffles 12-24-2008 08:07 PM

I noticed this as well with my replacement, of course I have the mysterious bright spots all over my screen too. Waiting for Sprint to send me a replacement... still.....

HBOOT 12-24-2008 08:10 PM

Where hve you been Baff!! sorry bout your TP...:mrgreen:

Baffles 12-24-2008 08:15 PM

I've been working on other stuff, heh.

For reference, there are pics of the replacement Sprint sent me over here. They made me send back my good pro with cracked chrome (or else I'd have to pay the $200 fee or whatever) and keep this heap of **** until my next replacement comes in. Wasn't too happy about that one. :( It's funny though, because the spots on the screen change every day. I actually had the middle 1/3 of the screen just blue for a few hours the other day, i swear this phone is possessed or something.

PR_S14 12-24-2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ou2mame (Post 598655)
they were both set to exactly halfway.. i can set them to max too if you want.

Was the auto dimming feature turned on? That may cause a disparity between the 2.

ou2mame 12-24-2008 11:04 PM

no, i turned that off. you can't set the brightness with auto dimming on, the options are grayed out.

snovvman 12-25-2008 01:56 PM

The yellowness is not a brightness or dimming problem. It is a color temperature issue with the backlight bulb.

I have had four TPs now, and two right in front of me. I've seen three different shades of color temp backlight.

I have also had three Diamonds, and each had a different color temp backlight.

They range from very yellow to slightly yellow to one TP that was very white (higher color temp).

I compared these phones on the same screen (Programs or Settings menu, white background) with brightness manually set. Compared to my Centro, they are all very yellow. The Centro's LCD color temp is much higher.

I'm guessing it is either a quality control issue or different suppliers. Manufacturing date did not seem to matter, it's a toss up.

I made this post some time ago and includes some comments and pictures in the thread (look for links):

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=41533

Edit: BTW, each of these devices were purchased new, not replacements.

[sammich] 12-25-2008 02:20 PM

Personally I think that is unacceptable. You should get a replacement of EQUAL or greater value... That is NOT equal to your previous device. Call up CS and explain the issue.

WarChild 12-25-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saumaun (Post 600084)
Personally I think that is unacceptable. You should get a replacement of EQUAL or greater value... That is NOT equal to your previous device. Call up CS and explain the issue.

I agree you should get a new one. I would not be a happy camper that I had to be the one that had to deal with it ether. good luck brother!

Exil3d 12-25-2008 03:43 PM

Ol yeller! This is a sad fact of HTC phones on Sprint. Mogul, Touch, Diamond, Pro.... they all have this issue. Some have nice crisp cold white screens, other have soft yellow screens. The Cold white screens are nice when you are looking at white web pages and the tf3d clock looks nice and white and everything thats white looks nice and white. In the yellow screen.. everything thats suppose to be white looks yellowish... The only good thing about the yellow screen is that the pictures do look better, since it gives them a warmer look to them. Personal opinion... RETURN it. And settle for a crisp cold white screen. I dont look at pictures as much as web pages. So I rather have a cold white screen.

ou2mame 12-25-2008 03:49 PM

i'm gonna call them after the holidays... i was contemplating just taking apart the phones and swapping the screens, and sending them my old one back with the new screen, but at the risk of breaking one, or both phones, and being really screwed, i decided against it.

PdaAddict 12-28-2008 06:08 PM

so are all new tps now with these yellowish screen or does it vary?

Baffles 12-31-2008 04:36 PM

My two replacements both had screens yellower than the original, however I've found it is only noticeable when directly comparing the two. The yellower one still looks fine to me at least, bright enough, and it is MUCH more responsive. I'd rather have a slightly warmer colored screen with good sensitivity than ****ty sensitivity with it looking better.

[sammich] 12-31-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffles (Post 610655)
My two replacements both had screens yellower than the original, however I've found it is only noticeable when directly comparing the two. The yellower one still looks fine to me at least, bright enough, and it is MUCH more responsive. I'd rather have a slightly warmer colored screen with good sensitivity than ****ty sensitivity with it looking better.

When you say more responsive... Are you referring to the screen or the device itself?

Baffles 12-31-2008 06:59 PM

The screen. It reminds me of the moguls screen, I can just ever so lightly press anyplace, even on the edges, and have it pick up my touches. My original Touch Pro didn't seem that bad once I got used to it, but there is definitely a difference.

[sammich] 12-31-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffles (Post 610976)
The screen. It reminds me of the moguls screen, I can just ever so lightly press anyplace, even on the edges, and have it pick up my touches. My original Touch Pro didn't seem that bad once I got used to it, but there is definitely a difference.

To be honest, I find the TP's screen MUCH more responsive than the Mogul. It's probably as responsive as the Mogul around the edges only.

Baffles 12-31-2008 07:04 PM

How old is yours? I bought mine on launch day, and while it wasn't bad, it was no where near as sensitive as my Mogul. Tweaking sensitivity didn't help either.

[sammich] 12-31-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffles (Post 610990)
How old is yours? I bought mine on launch day, and while it wasn't bad, it was no where near as sensitive as my Mogul. Tweaking sensitivity didn't help either.

I got mine on the 5th of November [remember remember the 5th of November... lol]

ou2mame 12-31-2008 08:56 PM

i'm not noticing any differences of sensitivity, nor responsiveness. they are equally as good in the center, and equally as bad on the edges. and this is with the exact restore file from sprite being installed. no differences whatesoever, just the yellow.

Baffles 01-01-2009 01:18 AM

Maybe you just got a bad one or something then, because mine isn't too much more yellow, and way more responsive. I've had two the same way too. The one I have now was mfd' on Nov. 5th, so saumaun may in fact have a good one.

[sammich] 01-01-2009 01:34 AM

It's interesting that I was talking about screen whiteness today, because I thought my Pro was as white as it gets. I've compared it to many other phones, and it blows them out of the water.

Well, just a few minutes ago I had a Treo 700wx in my hand and my TP in the other, and it seemed that the Treo screen was whiter, and it had a slight bluish tint to it.

I guess it could have been the fact that the Treo was on max brightness and my TP was on sensor adjust, but the bluish tint looked nice!

dcperdue 01-01-2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ou2mame (Post 597929)

If the one on the left is the new one id definately send it back as that looks like crap.

littlelite 01-08-2009 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ou2mame (Post 597121)

Me too, I was sending my TP to repair after using it for 2 months, due some really dissapointed problem like the LCD screen bottom corner peeling off and sliding keyboard starting to become not align with the body.

So they said they're going to replace the LCD 1st and return to me while waiting for the new stock of sliding keyboard. So I just got back my TP from SIS (HTC Malaysian Distributor) today, and found that the screen became VERY yellowish and terrible in different angle-viewing, besides, the new LCD screen viewing angle is terrible, some more fading off and cloudy, like covered with a greyish+yellowish cloud like that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganaz-x;2492110 - from xda-developers
Here are two Diamonds I have on me right now. Notice the color washout on one of it. Both are having the same ROM and brightness settings.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...x/DSC01498.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...x/DSC01500.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...x/DSC01501.jpg

I did complain to the girl @ SIS, but she said she can't do anything! "this is the NEW BATCH of original screen from HTC!"

But after 'google' thru the net, I've found a lot of other country Touch Pro/Diamond has this issue. And get replaced a new one for them by HTC. Then why we can't?! This is unfair!!!!!

LET'S SHOUT THIS OUT LOUD TILL THEY REPLACE IT FOR US!!! Check this out, more others has this dissapointing & terrible quality problem for this expensive device!!!
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/785754/+2080
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=411487

HTC changed a YELLOWISH and LOUSY VISIBILITY LCD screen to my Touch Pro!
Really... Really... Really Disappointed for the newly replaced yellowish & lousy LCD screen by HTC! :mad: Please help to post a comment to support me! >> Click Here << Thx :(

ou2mame 01-08-2009 11:14 AM

i talked to sprint, they acted clueless, but told me to go into a repair center and exchange the one they sent me to exchange. i dunno what to do, because i have a feeling that the new one is going to be the same, again. there is a definite color difference between the two phones though, and its completely unacceptable.

littlelite 01-10-2009 11:52 PM

I've sent in for replacement, but what they said is they can't! Coz all the new batch of stocks (LCD screen) all looks like that! They showed me some new unboxed Touch Pro, they all with the yellowish tinted and lousy visibility-angle LCD screen!

What HTC is doing!?!?!?

HBOOT 01-11-2009 12:06 AM

They are rushing and phuking it up, nomsayin :protest:

Baffles 01-11-2009 09:57 PM

My phone doesn't look anything like the one in littlelite's post. My screen is a little yellower than my first device (but not noticeable so unless you directly compare the two), but it is completely acceptable IMO, much more responsive, and the viewing angle, etc is all good still.

aznmode 01-23-2009 07:20 PM

Man I was bout to jump the gun for an exchange. I remember some moguls had yellowish screen too. I hated it. Some Treo 650s 700's had em too. All made by HTC. I used to swap the screens so I get the brighter one. But that was through assurion. I can't do that with a store swap.

So either you settle for peeling chrome and raised home key or stuck having yellow screen.

oddlou 01-23-2009 07:29 PM

I cracked my screen yesterday and Asurion sent me a new one that arrived earlier today. I'll let y'all know how the new one looks when I get home. It'll suck if it's yellowie, but still better than the cracked screen. :D