PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Display a Caller's STATE based on Area code? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49951)

AceszHigh 12-20-2008 05:42 PM

Display a Caller's STATE based on Area code?

My Touch used to do this...I don't see it on my pro. Any idea how to enable this? I'm talking about when I receive/make a call, it would show the State (based on area code) underneath the number...

kaoss_11 12-20-2008 05:51 PM

Re: Display a Caller's STATE based on Area code?

yeah I would too. If I remember correctly most sprint phones have this feature

ou2mame 12-20-2008 05:56 PM

yeah, i haven't noticed my caller id doing this... i have sprint. my sanyos did.

gator352 12-20-2008 05:59 PM

It will show the state if it's an unknown number (not in your contacts list) and will show it either incomming or outgoing. My TP, sanyo 8400 and sanyo 2300 all do this. When I had my surgery and was calling aflac numerous times about my pay, it came up as a Georgia call everytime. As soon as I added that # to my contacts, the georgia id quit.

apex seals 12-20-2008 09:03 PM

the touch pro dialer skin doesnt have a smart dialer like other phones.

disable the touch pro dialer skin and you will get it back

beware, its ugly

apex seals 12-20-2008 09:13 PM

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ht=dialer+skin

gator352 12-20-2008 09:33 PM

MIne displayes Unknown, then #, then state and this is on my TP...all stock.

AceszHigh 12-21-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apex seals (Post 590636)
the touch pro dialer skin doesnt have a smart dialer like other phones.

disable the touch pro dialer skin and you will get it back

beware, its ugly

Got my old winMo dialer turned on (which is what I used on my Touch, when it displayed the caller's state) but it still isn't showing the state for me. Is there something else I need to do?

gator352 12-21-2008 08:30 AM

Try calling different area codes in different states...maybe it's state specific? I just tried calling aflac (georgia) and it came up georgia.....I tried alabama and it came up alabama....but it didn't come up for North Carolina....weird....

[sammich] 12-21-2008 12:08 PM

I wish the Manila dialer would do this... I don't want to have to disable it!

stevedusa 12-22-2008 08:19 PM

Well I disabled the HTC dialer by going HKLM\Security\Phone\Skin and change the Enabled to "0", did a soft reset but now I noticed some issue... My data activities is ALWAYS active (both arrows are bright to indicated data activity).

I remember someone said that certain dialer has this problem, which I've seen on my Mogul using some other dialer, but I never expected the stock dialer would do this.

Well guess I'm going back to the HTC dialer, however I like the speed of stock dialer (no incoming delay and such.)

Hovthagawd 12-22-2008 09:27 PM

Yeah I noticed that I always had a data connection as well but I disabled active data connections via comm manager and it seemed to remedy the issue. I must admit though I love the lack of delay with incoming calls though.

stevedusa 12-22-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovthagawd (Post 594344)
Yeah I noticed that I always had a data connection as well but I disabled active data connections via comm manager and it seemed to remedy the issue. I must admit though I love the lack of delay with incoming calls though.

Wish I could do that, but I have PUSH with Exchange...

Hovthagawd 12-24-2008 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevedusa (Post 594552)
Wish I could do that, but I have PUSH with Exchange...

Point taken. Well back to original question anybody find a way to get the the area code to show?

gissentml 12-24-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gator352 (Post 590384)
It will show the state if it's an unknown number (not in your contacts list) and will show it either incomming or outgoing. My TP, sanyo 8400 and sanyo 2300 all do this. When I had my surgery and was calling aflac numerous times about my pay, it came up as a Georgia call everytime. As soon as I added that # to my contacts, the georgia id quit.

AFLAC!! They pay out claims faster than you can get out the hospital

auto_exec 12-24-2008 12:57 PM

On a somewhat related note, looks like the area codes are stored in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\PHONE\AreaCode]

Also, found this value (not sure what it does, but maybe someone with HTC dialer disabled (who still isn't seeing the state code) can set this to "0" and see if that helps? Just guessing based on the value name, though the "InitProv" part of the key name makes it sound unrelated:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OEM\InitProv]
"DisableAreaCodeAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001

Marine Vet 0305 12-24-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceszHigh (Post 590350)
My Touch used to do this...I don't see it on my pro. Any idea how to enable this? I'm talking about when I receive/make a call, it would show the State (based on area code) underneath the number...

hey guys i'm new to the site i'm pretty nifty with electronics, but i would like if anyone could guide me where i can find/ do some of these tweak to my CDMA TP, for instance where, how to find registry?

hypeo 12-24-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marine Vet 0305 (Post 598417)
hey guys i'm new to the site i'm pretty nifty with electronics, but i would like if anyone could guide me where i can find/ do some of these tweak to my CDMA TP, for instance where, how to find registry?

Marine Vet, Start here!!!
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42730

blazinazn 12-24-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auto_exec (Post 598365)
On a somewhat related note, looks like the area codes are stored in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\PHONE\AreaCode]

Also, found this value (not sure what it does, but maybe someone with HTC dialer disabled (who still isn't seeing the state code) can set this to "0" and see if that helps? Just guessing based on the value name, though the "InitProv" part of the key name makes it sound unrelated:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OEM\InitProv]
"DisableAreaCodeAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001

Anyone try this to see if it works?

hypeo 12-24-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazinazn (Post 598459)
Anyone try this to see if it works?

I just played with those settings and its a NO GO..

blazinazn 12-24-2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypeo (Post 598470)
I just played with those settings and its a NO GO..

Dang, my old flip phone back in the day use to do this. Came in handy every once in awhile.

JL-F1 12-24-2008 01:58 PM

what we need is something like the callerid on xda but instead of internet ;ookup just loopup via a local area code database, maybe it could call our built in area codes

auto_exec 12-28-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JL-F1 (Post 598491)
what we need is something like the callerid on xda but instead of internet ;ookup just loopup via a local area code database, maybe it could call our built in area codes

FYI - I just added a program and .cab file to this thread:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=50897

It is a modified version of Sveinung Bakken's CallerUtility (from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=424923) that does an area code lookup in our registry (instead of going out to the web to get address info).

Hope it helps someone.. if not, it was still fun to try my hand at WM6 dev work... ;)

p-slim 01-13-2009 11:58 PM

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but was there ever a fix to get the stock touch pro dialer to show the state?

4 Door Skyline 01-14-2009 12:38 AM

yea, id like to know too

Ticklemepinks 01-14-2009 12:41 AM

me tooo

WarChild 01-14-2009 01:39 PM

me too....lol

[sammich] 01-14-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 638603)
Sorry to bring this thread back up, but was there ever a fix to get the stock touch pro dialer to show the state?

IIRC, the original WM dialer does show the state. If you want it on the Manila dialer, the link auto_exec posted has a less attractive method. But if I see anything about integrating the info into the incoming call screen, I'll post here.

InvincibleLiving 01-14-2009 05:32 PM

i'm still gonna give auto-exec's app a go to test it out...

4 Door Skyline 01-14-2009 06:07 PM

I remember there was something like this called City ID

joeykrim 01-14-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 640252)
i'm still gonna give auto-exec's app a go to test it out...

i just installed his app on my phone and it is less attractive but it works great compared to having nothing in tf3d!

InvincibleLiving 01-14-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeykrim (Post 640381)
i just installed his app on my phone and it is less attractive but it works great compared to having nothing in tf3d!

do you feel like posting a screenshot?

auto_exec 01-14-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 640386)
do you feel like posting a screenshot?

Hey all,

There's a screenshot in that linked thread, but I'll post again here for convenience:

http://imgburst.com/up/312shot4Xmp.PNG

I agree that the app isn't very attractive but, as there didn't seem to be much interest, I never pursued making it look nicer... if anyone wants to provide graphics, I will try to integrate and can recompile... otherwise maybe if I have some time over the next few nights I'll give it a go myself.... any suggestions welcome. ;)

InvincibleLiving 01-14-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auto_exec (Post 640394)
Hey all,

There's a screenshot in that linked thread, but I'll post again here for convenience:

I agree that the app isn't very attractive but, as there didn't seem to be much interest, I never pursued making it look nicer... if anyone wants to provide graphics, I will try to integrate and can recompile... otherwise maybe if I have some time over the next few nights I'll give it a go myself.... any suggestions welcome. ;)

*coughSAUMAN-HE'S-TALKING-TO-YOUcough* whew... excuse me :twisted:

igotgame 01-14-2009 06:40 PM

This is a feature on Alltel as well, but amazingly they want to CHARGE YOU $2/Month to have it show City, State for each number.

It's amazing how much money phone companies try and milk from people.

WhiteBlazer01 01-14-2009 08:31 PM

I remember my Titan also did this on outgoing calls. I don't remember what exactly it was (I think a specific dialer). I also showed it to my iPhone friend (you know, as a "look what else my phone can do that yours can't), and he showed me the same thing - except it also shows the area in the state (I don't remember if it was a city, county, etc...). But he 1up'ed me on that one. :(

[sammich] 01-14-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auto_exec (Post 640394)
Hey all,

Oh man, I didn't mean to offend you or anything... But if you want graphics, I could definitely help you out. What would be the easiest areas to skin?

Actually, it would be even better if you could somehow make only the state display on the small black banner of the incoming call screen. Right under the top WM bar aligned to the right of the same line it says 'Sprint'

auto_exec 01-14-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saumaun (Post 640769)
Oh man, I didn't mean to offend you or anything... But if you want graphics, I could definitely help you out. What would be the easiest areas to skin?

Actually, it would be even better if you could somehow make only the state display on the small black banner of the incoming call screen. Right under the top WM bar aligned to the right of the same line it says 'Sprint'

Nah, dude, not offended at all, haha.. I mainly tinkered with this to get my hands dirty with C#.. I didn't put too much effort into it, it was more me screwing around trying to modify an app to use local data instead of web data (but I wound up posting it since it worked! :))

Interesting thought about not using a form... lemme look into that a bit.

[sammich] 01-14-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auto_exec (Post 640786)
Nah, dude, not offended at all, haha.. I mainly tinkered with this to get my hands dirty with C#.. I didn't put too much effort into it, it was more me screwing around trying to modify an app to use local data instead of web data (but I wound up posting it since it worked! :))

Interesting thought about not using a form... lemme look into that a bit.

I took a screenshot and put STATE in red. That's probably the best place to put it.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...e/Screen12.png

kaoss_11 01-14-2009 10:43 PM

function>fashion