PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   ATTN: VZW Touch Pro users, keeping or returning?? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46992)

robodude2 11-29-2008 01:24 PM

Re: ATTN: VZW Touch Pro users, keeping or returning??

The jury is still out but I'm leaning towards keeping it. Do the tweaks mentioned in the other forum and it'll improve. Also I'm finding that most of what I thought was lag was actually me not pressing down hard enough on the screen. TouchFlo runs extremely smooth on my unit even with multiple tabs on Opera, Email and streaming music at the same time.

Unfortunately when memory drops to about 17 megs free, things start slowing down. I close out programs that I don't need open and so far things are running great.

The Omina has 128 megs of ram just like the Pro so I doubt if there's much improvement over the Touch Pro. The real solution would be to use a non-Verizon phone but with the price discounts I'm getting with Verizon, switching isn't worth it. I don't think its worth getting a Sprint Touch Pro and converting it either... it's really not as bad as folks are making it out to be.

Check out the Sprint Touch Pro videos on YouTube and you'll see performance is about the same as the VZ version. It's just a matter of how many programs you can have open at the same time.

Jury's still out though...

nemanracing 11-29-2008 01:45 PM

I will probably be keeping mine just due to where I work... lol So here is to hoping we get a working unlocker for this one soon... It is really not that bad, although for the sake of numbers I wish I had the extra 100 mb of ram...

deadwrong03 11-29-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nat2fresh (Post 549136)
How do you feel about the TF3D? i even hate that compared to sprints. I disabled mine.

Have issues have u resolved outside of the ram?

i had issues with the phone randomly calling and not cringing the diamond tweak fixed that.

tf3d runs ok for me i like it it kinda simplifies winmo for me sinccw its my first winmo fone. itt lags occassionally but its not frequently enough to make me hate it

kyrumo 11-29-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robodude2 (Post 549167)
The jury is still out but I'm leaning towards keeping it. Do the tweaks mentioned in the other forum and it'll improve. Also I'm finding that most of what I thought was lag was actually me not pressing down hard enough on the screen. TouchFlo runs extremely smooth on my unit even with multiple tabs on Opera, Email and streaming music at the same time.

Unfortunately when memory drops to about 17 megs free, things start slowing down. I close out programs that I don't need open and so far things are running great.

The Omina has 128 megs of ram just like the Pro so I doubt if there's much improvement over the Touch Pro. The real solution would be to use a non-Verizon phone but with the price discounts I'm getting with Verizon, switching isn't worth it. I don't think its worth getting a Sprint Touch Pro and converting it either... it's really not as bad as folks are making it out to be.

Check out the Sprint Touch Pro videos on YouTube and you'll see performance is about the same as the VZ version. It's just a matter of how many programs you can have open at the same time.

I have the Omnia and I have 68.05 of free ram compared to the Verizon TP's 40.

FrozenIpaq 11-29-2008 04:03 PM

They days when I had my iPaq 2215 PPC it only had a total of 64mb of RAM on the device, you guys are all spoiled.

I've been on the fence as to getting the Touch Pro through Verizon or get the Sprint one and activate it on the VZW network. I like the look of VZW's TP over Sprint and wondering if any current VZW TP owner has been able to get rid of the required data plan with their phone and if they could connect via wifi and not over the air (aka restrict it to just wifi usage for the internet).

Nat2fresh 11-29-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robodude2 (Post 549167)

im just came back from verizon and they let me play with the omina. it comes with some better apps than the pro and the camera is beautiful, but the screen keyboard is horrible.

eyeballz 11-29-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nat2fresh (Post 549394)
im just came back from verizon and they let me play with the omina. it comes with some better apps than the pro and the camera is beautiful, but the screen keyboard is horrible.

Is that something that touchpal could fix right up. I would think with the larger screen on the omnia it would like touchpal very much so.

Im on the fence too I get Ne2s every year

TouchPro Sprint - $305-310 shipped on ebay with MCB

or

Omnia 214 with tax shipped from VZW

Currently have the 6800 running WM5,

Why WM5, because 6.1+ as of yet does not work with inifini, altimas with OEM Nav/BT Units.

The omnia i have a suspicious feeling will work again.

Kalnel 11-29-2008 04:49 PM

Probably keeping mine, but not certain. I'm sort of waiting to see if GPS gets unlocked. I only paid $199 for mine, so I can't complain too much.

Otherwise, I'll either revert to my 6700 or try the Saga. The Saga isn't as powerful as the TP (and has a less lively hacker community around it), so I don't have high hopes for that option.

Walt 11-29-2008 06:43 PM

For me, its a keeper.

fitbryan 11-29-2008 07:14 PM

Im contemplating. my 6700 has had it so need to get *something*. sigh.