PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

Insoc is keeping up the good workInsoc is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Returned phones repackaged as New?

Less then 30 days from what? I am sure Sprint would have an official disclaimer...

Anyways, do Techs sell phones? Do techs repackage phones and new accessories in the box? Do they keep new in the wrapper accessories in the store for repackaging? No, so I throw the flag... I admit, I could see it a store policy from the store manager to do this, but I doubt that this is a Sprint policy, as it is just bad practice.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

I thought it was against the FTC rules to have the original packaging opened and resold as new...
Old 11-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
I thought it was against the FTC rules to have the original packaging opened and resold as new...

I am glad someone else brought this up. I was not sure so left it out of my post.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Lurker

imfillinit is a n00b

pretty much once there has been ONE call made on a phone, then the phone can no longer be sold as new.

you can check by dialing ##786# and it will show you the lifetime call timer on the phone.

if a customer returns the phone and there have been no calls made on the phone, it can be sold as brand new. if there has been one call made (even if it lasts for 1 second), the it can't be sold as new but only refurbished and used as warranty replacement.

and thats something we practice at the sprint store that i work at, and that should be the way with any provider as well.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: palm pre, touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

IFMISM is keeping up the good workIFMISM is keeping up the good work

i don't understand why some people in this forum are so quick to jump on and try to prove others wrong when they post. my post merely stated that this is what i was told. whether it is right or not it is what was told and what is being practiced. if not at your store by others which is why it is important to check the original activation date before you leave the store. they gave me a used diamond and the sytem still read it as new even though it was activated 2weeks before it was put on my acct. of course i took the phone back and got another one off of the shelf and checked that one also, but my post was just a warning not to be taken as fact. hence the words form my understanding and what was told to me. i never said it was right just stated so people would not be taken advantage of like they tried to do with me.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker

We don't always believe everything we read and hear...

Common sense should indicate this is not normal, and that is why you returned your phone...
Old 02-11-2009, 05:09 PM
.:DoWorkSon:.
Pocket PC: .:OD:.Incredible:.DroidX:.iPhone4:.ThunderBolt:.
Carrier: Verizon

GrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to GrandMasterB

Hey guys I just got my Verizon Touch Pro and the packaging has all already been opened....... I was kinda surprised. There is dust and lint hair ect around the edges of the screen sticky that comes on it and the battery ect bags have already been opened. I would very much like to Verify if there have been any calls made on the phone but when I dial ##786# nothing happens....... any advice?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterB View Post
Hey guys I just got my Verizon Touch Pro and the packaging has all already been opened....... I was kinda surprised. There is dust and lint hair ect around the edges of the screen sticky that comes on it and the battery ect bags have already been opened. I would very much like to Verify if there have been any calls made on the phone but when I dial ##786# nothing happens....... any advice?

Thanks!
Call customer service and explain the situation and demand a new phone. If they say no, tell them that you will be filing an FTC complaint for selling an opened product as new.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Htc Touch PRo

loren646 is keeping up the good workloren646 is keeping up the good workloren646 is keeping up the good work

no way
Old 02-11-2009, 06:15 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFMISM View Post
from my understanding if it is less that 30 days and has had less than 100 mins used on it then it can be sold as new after the techs have looked it over. or atleast this is what i was told in the store by the tech that replaced mine
As has been mentioned, this is an illegal practice.

Once a device has had its box opened, let alone been powered on, it can no longer be sold as "new". This is the same reason I refuse to buy anything at GameStop - they illegally open the games and put the discs in sleeves and then when a customer buys a game, they take the sleeve and stick the disc in a retail box and charge them full price. Why someone hasn't come down on them for this practice is beyond me but the same thing applies with cellphones.

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro