PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   About to give up on the HTC Touch Pro. Help? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45246)

DSGamer 11-17-2008 05:11 PM

About to give up on the HTC Touch Pro. Help?

I bought an HTC Touch Pro from Sprint this weekend and I'm about to bail. Not just on the phone, but on Sprint. My wife and I have been with Sprint for about 9 years. But this phone is too much for me to take. It's slow to navigate TouchFlo 3D. I've accidentally called people 6 times in the last 2 days because of lag in applications and consequently slip ups in touching the screen at the wrong time. The phone works well enough, but it has so many little things that feel "off" in terms of how I interact with it. It's hard to scroll the recent call history or my contacts with your finger. So I have to use the D-Pad, which is at the bottom of this phone. :(

The reason I got the phone was because I had a Palm Centro, that while very easy to navigate and fairly intuitive and fast, wasn't terribly comfortable. Plus no voice dialing, which got old. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out before I give up on the phone and maybe Sprint if there's perhaps something wrong with my phone? If there's some major tweak I'm missing. I've done a lot of the speed tweaks listed here and it just still isn't right. I go to task manager and the memory in use is something like 80 MB. That's a lot for a phone. At least it seems like a lot to me. Any help would be appreciated.

dr g 11-17-2008 05:35 PM

Re: About to give up on the HTC Touch Pro. Help?

Even in stock form the Sprint Touch Pro should be responsive enough to not cause false calls, etc.

The rest could either be familiarity issues or maybe a defective unit ... maybe go to a Sprint store and compare with a display unit for responsiveness and navigation?

Insoc 11-17-2008 05:36 PM

Have you done a Hard Reset? If not, please do so. If that does not work, do it again.

Have you considered disabling TF3D and using just WinMo with a custom Today interface of some kind? Windows is very fast on this phone when TF3D is turned off.

Maybe you are not used to the interface with TF3D. There is a little more to using it then just tapping. I had some fumble issues until I got used to it, but I don't notice any lag that bothers me. I do however notice a difference in speed when I turn it off and just run windows...

And why would you leave Sprint over a phone that you don't like? They do sell other phones...

chronster 11-17-2008 05:41 PM

Sprint sells other phones, but a lot of people are ready for the next gen phones like iphone. I'm only with sprint because I got suckered in with the Instinct lol.

Hang in there friend. You've got 30 days to test the phone. If you get on here and the xda forums for a couple of hours a day, you'll learn how to get the phone working better / to your liking.

aznmode 11-17-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSGamer (Post 525316)
I bought an HTC Touch Pro from Sprint this weekend and I'm about to bail. Not just on the phone, but on Sprint. My wife and I have been with Sprint for about 9 years. But this phone is too much for me to take. It's slow to navigate TouchFlo 3D. I've accidentally called people 6 times in the last 2 days because of lag in applications and consequently slip ups in touching the screen at the wrong time. The phone works well enough, but it has so many little things that feel "off" in terms of how I interact with it. It's hard to scroll the recent call history or my contacts with your finger. So I have to use the D-Pad, which is at the bottom of this phone. :(

The reason I got the phone was because I had a Palm Centro, that while very easy to navigate and fairly intuitive and fast, wasn't terribly comfortable. Plus no voice dialing, which got old. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out before I give up on the phone and maybe Sprint if there's perhaps something wrong with my phone? If there's some major tweak I'm missing. I've done a lot of the speed tweaks listed here and it just still isn't right. I go to task manager and the memory in use is something like 80 MB. That's a lot for a phone. At least it seems like a lot to me. Any help would be appreciated.

I feel you on this one. I've accidentally called a few people as well on my phone because of the lag. When I try to press the Talk button to get to the phone screen, it doesn't respond right away and so I will hit it again and eventually go to the phone screen but would dial because I hit the button 2x. So ill be sitting there pressing the End key numerous times to stop the call. Typing in landscape also lags. The scrolling thing bugs me as well. A small flick and it scrolls forever. But I have faith in some of the talented people here that I'm sure will find a way to make the phone as close to perfect. I've had the Mogul for over a year and was not perfect when it came out. But thanks to this community and the fixes and hacks, I became very happy with it.

So far however I haven't been able to find a fix for those issues.

DSGamer 11-17-2008 07:08 PM

Regarding why I'd leave Sprint over a phone? It's more that I can't find a phone that fits my needs. I want a comfortable keyboard and a calendar that's easy to access. Those are my baseline needs. Obviously the Centro isn't comfortable enough. I started having thumb pain and decided to get a new phone. What other phone is there that I'm not considering? The Samsung Rant? The Palm 800W? Those are the only other options I can see (the curve keyboard is uncomfortable to me).

About the speed of the device. What tweaks should I be making? I found a page here and went down the list. I installed Advanced Config or whatever it's called and changed large number of the settings as recommended at that site and here. Things like the touch screen responsiveness, memory allocation, etc. Still slow.

If I turned off TouchFlo 3D, what would I replace it with? I like being able to see, at a glance, that I have missed phone calls, missed text messages, etc. This was something I could always do with my centro and navigating to respond to them was very quick and easy. How would I do that off of the Today screen? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm polling for the most responsive, least resource intensive option for this.

steb0ne 11-17-2008 07:38 PM

IMO, WindowsMobile just isn't a snappy device. Especially if your comparing it to Palm OS. If this is ur 1st WM phone, you'll need to get used to it. The Touch Pro is the fastest WM that's out currently with a keyboard. The dialing numbers by accident when scrolling, happens sometimes. I've seen tweaks that'll let you use the d-pad circular motion to scroll, or you can just be careful with your finger gestures on the scroll.

aznmode 11-17-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSGamer (Post 525613)
Regarding why I'd leave Sprint over a phone? It's more that I can't find a phone that fits my needs. I want a comfortable keyboard and a calendar that's easy to access. Those are my baseline needs. Obviously the Centro isn't comfortable enough. I started having thumb pain and decided to get a new phone. What other phone is there that I'm not considering? The Samsung Rant? The Palm 800W? Those are the only other options I can see (the curve keyboard is uncomfortable to me).

About the speed of the device. What tweaks should I be making? I found a page here and went down the list. I installed Advanced Config or whatever it's called and changed large number of the settings as recommended at that site and here. Things like the touch screen responsiveness, memory allocation, etc. Still slow.

If I turned off TouchFlo 3D, what would I replace it with? I like being able to see, at a glance, that I have missed phone calls, missed text messages, etc. This was something I could always do with my centro and navigating to respond to them was very quick and easy. How would I do that off of the Today screen? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm polling for the most responsive, least resource intensive option for this.

Maybe try checking the Upgrades page. I've read some custom Roms eliminates some lags.

Existentialism 11-17-2008 07:46 PM

Bad timing.

DSGamer 11-17-2008 07:54 PM

What do you mean? "Bad timing"?

On custom ROMs, I'd prefer not to have to install a new ROM if I can help it. I've been looking at the Google G1 and I keep wondering why I can't have something more like that, to some extent. Basic clock on the today screen along with some icons I can click. If the phone were just more responsive, I could forgive the quirks of the underlying Windows Mobile such as having to use a stylus to navigate contacts or previous calls quickly.

bruceo 11-17-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSGamer (Post 525613)
I like being able to see, at a glance, that I have missed phone calls, missed text messages, etc. This was something I could always do with my centro and navigating to respond to them was very quick and easy. How would I do that off of the Today screen?

SPB phone suite. It is the most awesome today plug in for this as well as profiles and connection management

lafester 11-17-2008 08:05 PM

My phone has zero lag using the stock rom with 32mb pagepool and the posted speed tweaks. I would imagine just using the speed tweaks would help a little as well as a hard reset (which should have been the first thing you did when you got your phone).

This is the fastest phone out at the moment... you just have to take advantage of its power.

slammedtahoeon22 11-17-2008 08:13 PM

if youre really that upset with tf3d, disable it and download the VGA version of HTC home. (found in just about every thread in this section) that will give you a nice big clock, icons to click to get mail, texts, missed calls, weather and picture dial contacts, as well as programs and music. you can then add the today agenda plugin for a really nice appointment and task dispaly. this combo i have used on my mogul and is very user freindly and pretty customizable. i'd say be sure to give that a try before you return anything. i think youll be happy with that setup, seems to be what youre looking for IMO, i aslo suggest downloadin the slide to lock vga version found on this forum as well, it will keep your phone locked and will prevent making calls. using this without the tf3d should also speed your phone up quite a bit as well.

ScrapMaker 11-17-2008 08:18 PM

I am in the same boat as the OP. The phone has a lot of problems, not even related to performance.

OP, have you experienced any heat/charging issues on long phone calls?

DSGamer 11-17-2008 08:28 PM

I don't honestly know whether it's too hot or not. It's definitely hot when I talk for a while, but part of why I'm trying to give the HTC Touch Pro an honest shot is that, unlike the G1, it actually has REALLY good voice command. So I try not to touch the phone as much.

That's what makes the annoyances while touching the phone so much worse. I use it less than I did my Centro. Anyway, it gets hot. I couldn't tell you how hot, though.

lipidfats 11-17-2008 08:38 PM

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
If you think touchflo is hard to navigate or that it is sluggish, you should disable it from the today screen... that will free resources (thus making it a little faster) and let you customize your phone more to your liking. If you do this, i recommend installing the trial of spb mobile shell to see if you might like that interface better. You can have MS menus on the today screen or assign the MS interface menus to a soft key (which i like to do).
http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/prod...obileshell/?en
There are customizers to help change the look and feel of that program as well. Make sure to add pocket digital clock for the main homescreen if you pick a UI that doesn't have a big clock on the front.

There are also many other UIs out there, so try them all and figure out which works best for you. A lot have tried all of them and would gladly make recommendations and help you out. VGA Home, like someone above mentioned, is also a great choice: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...light=vga+home
This phone has a beautiful display and is really powerful, so I wouldn't let touchflo3d get in the way of owning it. I actually have secondtoday installed, so I can keep touchflo and have a today screen for my other plugins like mobile shell. Also be sure to install s2u2 or some other screen locking program to keep from accidentally activating programs/making calls. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any other questions that you'd want my input on... later

DSGamer 11-17-2008 08:42 PM

Thanks. I think one of the things that amazes me most (I called Sprint and I'm taking the phone in - I bought it pre-owned which makes me wonder too) is that it uses 90MB of Ram. That's astounding. Surely there's a way, without going to a custom ROM, to trim that down. Not because Ram usage is all bad, but because it's indicative to me that the phone is working harder than it should.

lipidfats 11-17-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSGamer (Post 525787)
Thanks. I think one of the things that amazes me most (I called Sprint and I'm taking the phone in - I bought it pre-owned which makes me wonder too) is that it uses 90MB of Ram. That's astounding. Surely there's a way, without going to a custom ROM, to trim that down. Not because Ram usage is all bad, but because it's indicative to me that the phone is working harder than it should.

90mb of used RAM straight out off a soft reset? I just reset mine and it's at 73mb. Keep in mind I have touchflo3d, quickmenu, s2u2, mobile shell, second today, task facade, aebutton plus, and several others (many that activate on startup) and mines 17mb lower than yours.. Things like touchflo and the other enhancements this phone has does use a lot of memory though, so expect that it's not going to be too low. I'm not sure how much touchflo uses, but i hear it's a pretty big chunk - disable it if it bothers you.
Since it's used, make sure to HARD reset to stock status if you haven't already.

DSGamer 11-19-2008 12:17 AM

So yesterday I took the device back to Sprint. I wanted them to look it over (since it was pre-owned). Perhaps get me another one to see if it was just the device in general or that particular phone. Especially considering data still wasn't working. They wouldn't do anything....

So I returned the phone and had them switch it back to the Palm Centro, which 20 seconds later had data. Ugh.

So last night I went to TMobile and picked up the G1. Very very slick device. Very fast with a unified interface. Integration with GMail, Google Calendars, Google Contacts. It's pretty amazing to be able to add items to my Google Apps Calendar (corporate style GMail) and have it just show up on the G1. It's a great phone, with its own caveat. The problem is now my index finger hurts and I'm realizing that I might really need Voice Commander or whatever that slick software Microsoft bundles with the HTC Pro is. So I have a question.

If I go back to Sprint would I be better off with a new HTC Touch Pro, even if the cost is higher? They told me the one I bought last time was refurbished. When I told the guy in the store that he gave me kind of a "huh?" look. So I'm starting to think the phone was just returned and they thought it was fine. Maybe the guy returned it because it was slow (my main gripe) or maybe he returned it because the data never worked, as with me. Either way the phone could be bad and they never really offered to help get me into a newer phone. I've been a customer for something like 8 years, so I would assume they'd want to keep me.

Is there a high enough failure rate that perhaps the phone itself was the problem and I could get lucky the next time?

ScrapMaker 11-19-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSGamer (Post 528499)
So yesterday I took the device back to Sprint. I wanted them to look it over (since it was pre-owned). Perhaps get me another one to see if it was just the device in general or that particular phone. Especially considering data still wasn't working. They wouldn't do anything....

So I returned the phone and had them switch it back to the Palm Centro, which 20 seconds later had data. Ugh.

So last night I went to TMobile and picked up the G1. Very very slick device. Very fast with a unified interface. Integration with GMail, Google Calendars, Google Contacts. It's pretty amazing to be able to add items to my Google Apps Calendar (corporate style GMail) and have it just show up on the G1. It's a great phone, with its own caveat. The problem is now my index finger hurts and I'm realizing that I might really need Voice Commander or whatever that slick software Microsoft bundles with the HTC Pro is. So I have a question.

If I go back to Sprint would I be better off with a new HTC Touch Pro, even if the cost is higher? They told me the one I bought last time was refurbished. When I told the guy in the store that he gave me kind of a "huh?" look. So I'm starting to think the phone was just returned and they thought it was fine. Maybe the guy returned it because it was slow (my main gripe) or maybe he returned it because the data never worked, as with me. Either way the phone could be bad and they never really offered to help get me into a newer phone. I've been a customer for something like 8 years, so I would assume they'd want to keep me.

Is there a high enough failure rate that perhaps the phone itself was the problem and I could get lucky the next time?

If you are looking for a good idea of failure rates, check out this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45140

I have heard estimates of up to a 75% return/exchange rate on this phone. There is no gaurantee that you will get a "good" Touch Pro, unfortunately.

Insoc 11-19-2008 12:55 AM

I am wondering when Scrapmaker will be out in front of Sprint Corporate with a sign...

The amount of time and energy you have been spending on this phone is incredible. Move on, get something else, come back when it's better, you will feel better if you do! :D

As for the OP... Follow your instincts. I have a good working TP. If you liked it, try again, but understand now might (or never, who knows) not be the time to get a TP... See if Sprint will give you a free temp phone till better TPs come in maybe?

ScrapMaker 11-19-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insoc (Post 528559)
I am wondering when Scrapmaker will be out in front of Sprint Corporate with a sign...

The amount of time and energy you have been spending on this phone is incredible. Move on, get something else, come back when it's better, you will feel better if you do! :D

As for the OP... Follow your instincts. I have a good working TP. If you liked it, try again, but understand now might (or never, who knows) not be the time to get a TP... See if Sprint will give you a free temp phone till better TPs come in maybe?

Hell I just want the phone to work. I wish I was as lucky as you.

I just wish AT&T had a plan similar to Simply Everything for the iPhone 3G

lipidfats 11-19-2008 01:16 AM

75% return rate? I know you've had bad experiences, scrap, but that sounds a little exaggerated to me... BUT! i could see why you'd feel that way if you've had problems. That poll is kinda vague too. I wish it was more specific, because I'm interested too.. even if mine's working correctly. Like the question about heating up.. combining light and intense use into one vote for heat issues doesn't tell me a thing. If you use it intensely, it's bound to heat up. Also what does heat up mean? Like scorching hot or just noticeably warm but still able to handle. WM users all know that our devices heat up if they're abused. If it heats up with light use then that's a fault. And build quality... My TP keyboard wobbles slightly and back cover quietly creeks if I deliberately bully it. If i use it normally, then I don't experience any problems. May just be me, but with anything expensive, I try not to play rough with it. So I'm wondering how many people who voted on build quality went out of their way to make those "problems" happen and how many noticed on their own. Some of those questions should be separated or specified. It certainly doesn't tell anything about failure/return rates, otherwise other more popular phones would have been considered a complete failure at launch. If people really want to know, the questions need to be revised. It sounds like you're trying to stick it out though, so I hope you get one that works.

DSgamer, I'm still on my first and don't have complaints that would make me ever think about returning. If this phone battled it out with my mogul, it would have knocked it out in the first round.
There are good TouchPros out there. You might want to reconsider whether windows mobile is for you though.

Baffles 11-19-2008 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSGamer (Post 525787)

Ram usage is no big deal. TF3D uses a lot of ram, but that doesn't mean it is working any harder, just means that it is storing more stuff in ram. My phone doesn't lag even close to as badly as you are describing. Did you ever try a hard reset before returning it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSGamer (Post 528499)

You can sync calendar over the air, gmail, etc. I have my Google Apps calendar synced over nuevasync, as well as my contacts. Push mail via nuevasync should be here within the next few weeks they tell me, until then I just use IMAP.

And, I wasn't aware they even had refurbs yet. A refurb, in theory, should be no different than a new device, though. How much did you pay?

ScrapMaker 11-19-2008 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidfats (Post 528604)
75% return rate? I know you've had bad experiences, scrap, but that sounds a little exaggerated to me... BUT! i could see why you'd feel that way if you've had problems. That poll is kinda vague too. I wish it was more specific, because I'm interested too.. even if mine's working correctly. Like the question about heating up.. combining light and intense use into one vote for heat issues doesn't tell me a thing. If you use it intensely, it's bound to heat up. Also what does heat up mean? Like scorching hot or just noticeably warm but still able to handle. WM users all know that our devices heat up if they're abused. If it heats up with light use then that's a fault. And build quality... My TP keyboard wobbles slightly and back cover quietly creeks if I deliberately bully it. If i use it normally, then I don't experience any problems. May just be me, but with anything expensive, I try not to play rough with it. So I'm wondering how many people who voted on build quality went out of their way to make those "problems" happen and how many noticed on their own. Some of those questions should be separated or specified. It certainly doesn't tell anything about failure/return rates, otherwise other more popular phones would have been considered a complete failure at launch. If people really want to know, the questions need to be revised. It sounds like you're trying to stick it out though, so I hope you get one that works.

DSgamer, I'm still on my first and don't have complaints that would make me ever think about returning. If this phone battled it out with my mogul, it would have knocked it out in the first round.
There are good TouchPros out there. You might want to reconsider whether windows mobile is for you though.

I can safely say that with my Brother's AT&T Fuze, with the original "diamond" battery cover, it is 100% solid. The battery cover does not squeak or move at all. You can "bully" it all you want and the phone feels like a REAL phone.

I was quoting the 75% from a recent post someone made that sells Touch Pros.

About the poll--it would have been nice to be more detailed, but the forum system would not allow that. It was assumed that the phone heats up (abnormally) during use.

Mine heats up to 130F during a phone call, while NOT charging, and while NOT using bluetooth, with the screen off.

actually--all four had similar results. It shouldn't matter how long you are on the call, no phone should heat up like that.

The reason I am so pissed, and spending so much time on this, trying to figure out if there is a solution, or if I can swap it out for this "white whale" of a Touch Pro, is because there really aren't any good alternatives right now. That is why we are ALL here. Clearly if there was another similar, (even less-performing,) phone out that did not have any of these flaws, people would buy them up like hotcakes.

gearjunkeez 11-19-2008 02:08 AM

Well - I switched back and forth from Palm to WinMo and back a couple times in the very beginning (Treo 650 and ppc6700) I still have a Treo 755p next to my Touch, Mogul and Touch Pro. It is a bit of a learning curve to go from Palm to Windows, but once you get used to it you wont want to go back... ever. I have a Pro that doesnt get hot, battery lasts all day, and I don;t have the lag problems you describe - unless i try to do too many thngs at once. Like try to slide open the keyboard as I hang up the phone and try to swith to my email tab at the same time. Try and get another unit, check the build date on it. Mine is 10/23 and fortunately for me it is working flawlessly.

ScrapMaker 11-19-2008 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearjunkeez (Post 528687)
Well - I switched back and forth from Palm to WinMo and back a couple times in the very beginning (Treo 650 and ppc6700) I still have a Treo 755p next to my Touch, Mogul and Touch Pro. It is a bit of a learning curve to go from Palm to Windows, but once you get used to it you wont want to go back... ever. I have a Pro that doesnt get hot, battery lasts all day, and I don;t have the lag problems you describe - unless i try to do too many thngs at once. Like try to slide open the keyboard as I hang up the phone and try to swith to my email tab at the same time. Try and get another unit, check the build date on it. Mine is 10/23 and fortunately for me it is working flawlessly.

Oh, I plan to get as many replacements as it takes. I don't see anything coming to ANY other provider that will satisfy me.

I'd say the Fuze, but it has HUGE GPS problems. AT&T found a way to lock GPS to only their Telenav program. I'm sure a way around will be found, but so far, it's not working well. My brother's can ONLY get a lock with Telenav.... weird stuff

DSGamer 11-19-2008 06:04 AM

Is there any way to guarantee/find a newer phone? Assuming the newer builds are actually better? I was reading another thread and the person described almost exactly why I returned my phone.

- Slow
- Edges not responsive
- Dreadful battery life
- Couldn't connect to the internet over WiFi or Sprint EVDO

If there are newer versions of the phone that don't suffer from these problems (at least all of them, but the slowness, I know that one is a fact of life to some extent) I'd be interested. If only because I really am missing voice control right now with the G1.

Insoc 11-19-2008 08:03 AM

I suggest that when you go to the store, you test out the unit you are buying COMPLETELY before you leave the store. I understand you won't catch everything, but this is what I did with my last phone, and I was going to return it again for a louder phone, looked at two more at the store, and found a bad one. Since they only had two at the time, the other one was no better in volume then the one I had, I am still waiting for new phones to arrive.

So, test, test and test before you leave the store. I like how one of the posters suggested looking at the phone on display, see if it suffers any issues that yours did. Demonstrate any problems you find on one phone to another.

Edges not being responsive, that maybe something you have to deal with and may break in with use... All phones seem to be like that, maybe look for one that is only poor on one side. I use note pad to draw lines to test it out.

Battery life on a new battery will be complete crap until the battery is broken in which takes several days. Also as others have stated the phone can do alot which uses alot of power.

Remember to HARD RESET before you do any testing on any phone.

Goodluck, and you too Scrap. Not everything is perfect in our world and life is about compromise. If the phone is not worth it's cost to you, then don't buy it. The amount of energy you spend here could be better spent in a more positive direction! :D

DSGamer 11-19-2008 01:19 PM

Believe me, that's a big part of my frustration. When I bought the Centro I'd previously had a Palm PDA and a Samsung A920. The phone was reliable and the PDA worked, of course. But as I accumulated devices I wanted to cut down on the devices I had on me. I would rather not, though, spend cycles on this that could be spent hanging out with my wife, playing games, reading books, whatever. I just kind of want a phone that works. I want a comfortable phone with a good keyboard, an accessible calendar, light data and that just works.

Just works is most important. This shouldn't be that hard.

land2634 11-19-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSGamer (Post 529356)
Believe me, that's a big part of my frustration. When I bought the Centro I'd previously had a Palm PDA and a Samsung A920. The phone was reliable and the PDA worked, of course. But as I accumulated devices I wanted to cut down on the devices I had on me. I would rather not, though, spend cycles on this that could be spent hanging out with my wife, playing games, reading books, whatever. I just kind of want a phone that works. I want a comfortable phone with a good keyboard, an accessible calendar, light data and that just works.

Just works is most important. This shouldn't be that hard.

Yeah and as far as data working, it is hit or miss unfortunately. I know several people who have been 2 weeks without data, but Sprint refuses to exchange for them due to some mystery "data outage" that only affects certain customers (and not to mention said customers happen to have Touch Pro's). The issue should be resolved "within 72 hours" but here they are 2 weeks later wondering what the hell is going on. I'm starting to find it amusing that Sprint seemingly hires "technicians" off the street (similar to Best Buy's Geek Squad). Doesn't mean all the techs are bad, but it sure does look bad when your own technicians have no idea how to fix little issues such as this.

DSGamer 11-19-2008 01:38 PM

They wouldn't even let their "techs" look at my phone. I've been a customer for 8 years and they just shrugged and said that was how the phone was. So weird. No attempt at another phone or anything. Is the failure rate of the phone that well known within Sprint or was it just bad customer service.

land2634 11-19-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSGamer (Post 529398)
They wouldn't even let their "techs" look at my phone. I've been a customer for 8 years and they just shrugged and said that was how the phone was. So weird. No attempt at another phone or anything. Is the failure rate of the phone that well known within Sprint or was it just bad customer service.

They wouldn't look at it when your data didn't work? Oh hell, I'd probably lose it... That is pure incompetence and ignorance. No wonder their stock price is dropping like crazy.

DSGamer 11-19-2008 02:54 PM

Yeah. They wouldn't even send it back to the "techs". And like I said, data was working on the Centro a minute later. It was a touch insane, honestly. I don't expect them to hand me a new phone every time I walk in the door, but my wife and I have been loyal customers for close to a decade. If I say my phone doesn't get data service (that I'm paying for) and that I'm spending valuable personal time on this, someone should look at it, I think.

That's why I just went over to T-Mobile. I was sick of things like that. The voice dialing and wanting to be on the same plan as my wife (I hate us having separate plans, bills, no shared minutes, etc.) is causing me to reconsider. I guess it's just a question of what they'll do to make it right.

themuffinman 11-19-2008 03:13 PM

Well i have been using the hell out of my pro for the last two weeks and its been running great right out of the box. I only use custom roms because i can be a flashaholic at times. In any case we all have different expectations and what may be tolerable for me maybe totally different for someone else.

DSGamer 11-19-2008 03:42 PM

Well, I called my other local store (the one near my work). They were sympathetic and gave me the direct number for retention. I called retention and they said the best they could do is $400 for a new HTC Touch Pro with a $100 mail in rebate. So basically pricing as if I was running a new line of service. The cost to cancel + the cost of the G1 from T-Mobile is less than that. So I guess I know where I stand.

mobo 11-19-2008 04:03 PM

The learning curve on these phones is substantial. I have had one since june of 2007 when I picked up a Mogul, I went to the Touch in August of 2008 and to the TP the weekend It came out.

Perhaps you are right that that these phones should work out of the box and they mostly do work OK, we just like to play with them and this does cause some confusion. The I phone only works with the certified apps and all of them must be bought. Our TP is so configurable it really is beyond belief.

Mine sync's over the air with corporate email and updates my calendar connected all the time, It check my three pop 3 email accounts evey hour. I use the GPS in google map, live search and telenav at times each week. I surf the net for work and for fun and I create word and excel documents when I'm waiting for a plane. I have even watched a movie on the plane. It takes really decent pictures organizes them on my laptop and transfers them their wirelessly. I even tether using bluetooth when wifi is not around on my laptop. The I phone will not do these things as well as my touch pro.

It takes trime to figure all these things out. I hope you choose the TP but if not take your time with the device and it will reward you well. Best of luck!!

Oh and it does these things for 40 bucks a month. Sero 500 and 10 bucks for telenav.:)

MOBO

DSGamer 11-19-2008 04:06 PM

That's a good gif, themuffinman. I feel like that's what Sprint is doing to me.

redlinejohn 11-19-2008 11:01 PM

This phone has its problems. Most of them can be fixed with tweaks. If you think this phone is bad try using the Samsung Instinct for awhile. Which I replaced with the pro (much better phone). I think people are looking to get the perfect phone. Keep in mind that every phone has it problems. with the help of this site and many others we can get closer to that perfect phone. How many of us have bought a new car or whatever and it has its share of problems. There is no perfect anything out there including humans. haha

lipidfats 11-19-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinejohn (Post 530695)
There is no perfect anything out there including humans. haha

Jessica Alba's pretty perfect...