PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Someone plz create an 8ball g-sensor app..and make some $$$ (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44138)

Raging Idiot 11-10-2008 06:10 PM

Someone plz create an 8ball g-sensor app..and make some $$$

I've seen someone else had started this Magic 8-ball app and then left it flat on it's face for months while everyone begged for a remake. Please pick this up and and make it graphically appealing.
I would like to donate for this app when complete.
Others would too... :)
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Twinsen 11-10-2008 06:19 PM

Re: Someone plz create an 8ball g-sensor app..and make some $$$

lol, that'd be pretty funny.

JaxChris 11-10-2008 06:22 PM

Will I make $$$ if I do this?

"Signs point to no."

(I'm not a programmer, I'm just joking)

TurboFool 11-10-2008 06:27 PM

Why? Seriously, why? The real ones are ridiculous superstition enough as it is, but pretending somehow that the manufacturer puts genuine (?) supernatural properties into their Magic 8-Balls to make them work, then a computerized random number generator simulation would lack this "authenticity" and give you less accurate results. That all assumes you believe they work. If you don't believe they work, then you realize they'd both give you roughly the same results (ignoring the fact that computers can't produce genuinely random numbers), neither of which would be of any use.

Instead, how about you just bookmark www.icantdeci.de and get a statistical answer to your question derived from genuine human opinion? Seems much more valuable.

tmz 11-10-2008 06:30 PM

Here's the thread on it. It would be cool if some one picked up on it.

Thanks T M Z

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=413155

lipidfats 11-10-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raging Idiot (Post 509822)
I've seen someone else had started this Magic 8-ball app and then left it flat on it's face for months while everyone begged for a remake. Please pick this up and and make it graphically appealing.
I would like to donate for this app when complete.
Others would too... :)
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

http://www.concretesoftware.com/wind...le/index.shtml
they have a bowling game that can use the gsensor i believe and on their windows mobile games page it says they have magic 8ball app coming soon, so maybe that will have motion sensing as well.

mtkates 11-10-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFool (Post 509864)
Why? Seriously, why? The real ones are ridiculous superstition enough as it is, but pretending somehow that the manufacturer puts genuine (?) supernatural properties into their Magic 8-Balls to make them work, then a computerized random number generator simulation would lack this "authenticity" and give you less accurate results. That all assumes you believe they work. If you don't believe they work, then you realize they'd both give you roughly the same results (ignoring the fact that computers can't produce genuinely random numbers), neither of which would be of any use.

Instead, how about you just bookmark www.icantdeci.de and get a statistical answer to your question derived from genuine human opinion? Seems much more valuable.

You ask "Seriously, why?" and that is where I believe you have missed the point. It is not "Serious".

A person I work with has a Magic 8-Ball on his desk. It is meant as a joke because customers often ask him questions he could not possibly have an answer for(he doesn't actually use it with the customer). We all know it is just a toy and as adults I don't imagine any of us would use one to make real life decisions. However, it would be fun at times, when a friend asks a stupid question, to whip out my phone, give it a shake, and give him/her a stupid answer. It's just for fun. Kind of like the Beer program. It's just a pointless piece of code to entertain ourselves for a few seconds.

And nobody will be required to put it on their phone if they feel it is ridiculous.

TurboFool 11-10-2008 07:00 PM

Just seems like a software version would be even less convenient.

But in reality I've known many people who use them to make genuine decisions. They DO take the seriously. I just don't see the point. The same time could be used to actually make the decision instead of distracting yourself getting randomly-generated answers.

But this was also partially in response to the point about making money off of it. I can see your point about silly things like the beer program... if they're free. Why would anyone really spend money on something this pointless, though?

lipidfats 11-10-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFool (Post 509947)
Just seems like a software version would be even less convenient.

But in reality I've known many people who use them to make genuine decisions. They DO take the seriously. I just don't see the point. The same time could be used to actually make the decision instead of distracting yourself getting randomly-generated answers.

But this was also partially in response to the point about making money off of it. I can see your point about silly things like the beer program... if they're free. Why would anyone really spend money on something this pointless, though?

If you know people that actually use such a program or toy to make real decisions, they should be on a ball and chain to keep them from leaving their homes... Even as a child, when i got my first 8ball, i didn't take it seriously - it's just for amusement. And as far as paying for it, why does anybody pay for any game... people find pointless apps entertaining for different reasons. What's useless to you may have more value to others, thus they're willing to pay to see that it is developed. Maybe he'd get far more in return via laughs at his office in comparison to how much he'd have to pay...

Raging Idiot 11-10-2008 09:54 PM

lol... yeah I don't think it wrong for anyone to desire money or donations for their work. Nor should anyone think it wrong if someone wants to make an offer in advance to give incentive.
It's such an easy app that I figured I'd ask someone else to do it before attempting to make it myself. Either way, it's just for fun.