PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   How do you like your Touch Pro? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=43721)

Big D5 11-07-2008 06:03 PM

How do you like your Touch Pro?

I have been watching all the whining going on about this PPC and I am wondering if I just got lucky or if this is just the usual new to Windows Mobile group that we usually get when a new PPC comes out. What do I mean by that? There a lot of threads saying the battery sucks on the TP, that the styli switch doesn't work any more, etc... and I want to know if this is a bad batch of TP's or just a group of new to Windows Mobile users that are having some issues with the change. I have had many PPC's and so far at 1 week today I haven't had any issues with my TP (knocks on wood) and I think it is the best HTC device I have owned. What I would like to know is are you satisfied with your TP simple as that will you keep it?

eptd 11-07-2008 06:06 PM

Re: How do you like your Touch Pro?

I'm VERY happy with my pro. Don't feel the need to change ROMs like I did with the diamond. Battery life was always a problem with the diamond, but not with my pro. I have about 50-60 percent battery left by the time I get off work which is a huge improvement from 30-40 percent with the diamond. Touchflo is quicker. D-pad works. Don't have to hit the hard buttons 3 times like I did with the diamond. Overall very happy I upgraded. Will definitely keep this phone til the next greatest thing comes along.

thesfactor 11-07-2008 06:08 PM

Are you both not experiencing the battery issues (Phone dies in spite of being on the charger when the battery is low, if its being used - voice or data)?
Other than this, my phone seems fine...

hibby50 11-07-2008 06:12 PM

newbies d5 mine is rockin my walls :)

Exstatica 11-07-2008 06:13 PM

I've had lots of strange issues. I run the stock rom, sync with exchange, use it as my normal work/play/personal phone. I switched from ATT to sprint for this phone, it might have been a mistake, but anyway here are a list of my issues.

* Lockups (The device won't turn on, and the buttons surrounding the dpad stay lit, keyboard lights up when opened
* Battery (i run Palringo, exchange and i have to charge halfway through the day)
* Heat (this bastard generates so much eat. Sitting in my pocket, charging, and running)
* Sprint TV (this the era of high speed, can i get some decent quality audio, it sounds like my head is in a bucket)

I'm sure a lot of these can be fixed with a Rom upgrade, and i'm sure i'll move to a custom rom eventually. I came from the XDA side working on the kaiser, and i had my phone really tweaked.

I'm going to give sprint a chance, and if the heat issue and battery has to be done via equipment swap then so be it, i pay for the insurrance. When the kitchens get more updated and newer roms ported then i'll probably switch roms, but for now i'll just hold tight, deal with it, and hope sprint does the right thing. I know they have so many complaints right now with the BB pros and even the telesales and store ones. So we'll see.

bedoig 11-07-2008 06:18 PM

Apache-->Titan-->Pro

I love this phone. No problems outside of typical WM stuff. You couldn't pay me to go back to the Mogul.

eptd 11-07-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesfactor (Post 504597)
Are you both not experiencing the battery issues (Phone dies in spite of being on the charger when the battery is low, if its being used - voice or data)?
Other than this, my phone seems fine...

Nope, no battery issues for me. The battery is no where near my blackberry which would last 2-3 days with no charge, but my pro is at least getting me through the day. I take it off the charger around 8am and don't plug it in until about midnight. I'll have about 20-30% battery left by then.

I definitely had issues with the diamond though. I was obsessed with ROMs and battery tweaks. Glad I upgraded.

toinejuan 11-07-2008 06:38 PM

I just got mine, so I can't really give an informed decision as of right now. However, I haven't done anything to the device yet but the glyphcache is only 8192!! That's half of Diamond, Vogue, Mougl and the same as the Apache.
I don't know if this was an error(though I hope it was,)but, seriously those that have complained about snail like performance at times, that's your culprit. Anyways if you want more speed out of your device, get a reg editor and change that glyphcache immediately, trust me, you will thank me for the result.
I personally use 40960 which is 5X that amount and 3X the Diamond, Mogul and Vogue's amount. Most just double up because a larger cache chews up more memory but we've got plenty of that. I am sure you can go higher than what I have but, I find it to be the ultimate for stability, performance and reliability.
If you choose to go higher or lower that's on you, but this is tested and true. I am looking for some other things that they may have messed up and will report back with my findings. Holla if you need to ask me anything!

DaPeeps 11-07-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exstatica (Post 504609)
I've had lots of strange issues. I run the stock rom, sync with exchange, use it as my normal work/play/personal phone. I switched from ATT to sprint for this phone, it might have been a mistake, but anyway here are a list of my issues.

* Lockups (The device won't turn on, and the buttons surrounding the dpad stay lit, keyboard lights up when opened
* Battery (i run Palringo, exchange and i have to charge halfway through the day)
* Heat (this bastard generates so much eat. Sitting in my pocket, charging, and running)
* Sprint TV (this the era of high speed, can i get some decent quality audio, it sounds like my head is in a bucket)

I'm sure a lot of these can be fixed with a Rom upgrade, and i'm sure i'll move to a custom rom eventually. I came from the XDA side working on the kaiser, and i had my phone really tweaked.

I'm going to give sprint a chance, and if the heat issue and battery has to be done via equipment swap then so be it, i pay for the insurrance. When the kitchens get more updated and newer roms ported then i'll probably switch roms, but for now i'll just hold tight, deal with it, and hope sprint does the right thing. I know they have so many complaints right now with the BB pros and even the telesales and store ones. So we'll see.

Very well typed out post. Welcome to PPCGeeks, we need more intelligent posters here ;)

It sounds to me like you might have gotten a bad pro. I would try to exchange it now while you can, rather than let a bad unit further lower your opinions of the phone.

Here are my personal observations of the pro. I got mine from BB on 10/25/08. I immediatley noticed the "tingy" sound from the earpiece the moment i got out to my car and called a friend. I didn't think twice about it...thinking the genious's here would fix it in time.

The first night it was great I thought..I could have been in love at first site...but I was fine with it. The 2nd and third nights...I noticed when I woke up it was locked up....required a soft reset to fix. The phone was always fully charged. I think this was due to software I installed though.

The battery does suck. It will die quickly if left off the charger. I don't know how effective the stock charger is, as I normally use an old Motorola Razr charger for it. I use a Moto Razr car charger too for it. At work, I always have in plugged into my laptop via USB...so I really dont notice battery problems too much. Yesterday I let it die on purpose to see how long it would take. It died around 8:00 oclock and i woke up at 7. So its not too bad...but still sucks. I will be buying an extended for it as soon as its released by seido.

Other than that...I love it. I feel satified with the stock ROM...but will most likley flash a bunch anyway just to see them all. I think this phone is amazing and one of the best mobile devices out there.

As for newbs complaining....I come from a familiarity with WinMo devices. Starting with an old Ipaq, I have had a Moto Q9c, a mogul, and a touch....so I feel pretty comfortable with WinMo and its quirks and kinks. Anyone who has used a winmo phone before knows this, and those people know that this phone, is at its core...one powerful mutha $#@#$$. So we know, with the customization and flexibility that WinMo provides, we can make this thing RAWK.

So..I will stick with it, and Sprint. Sprint has coddled me like a mother wojld a newborn....so I can't abandon them in their time of need :D

For real tho....I love Sprint and would never leave them.

</long *** post>

HBOOT 11-07-2008 06:42 PM

Hey ,the Mogul was alright . I was able to do all I wanted with it . The Pro is sa isht though:mrgreen: