PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Horrible Shutter lag (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42820)

evilpeople 12-01-2008 12:40 AM

Re: Horrible Shutter lag

Quote:

Originally Posted by midiology (Post 551652)
Whoa,,, hold on just a tiny second... (snipped very long and hard to read post)

Then your use of the term "archaic" is not correct, as it is intended (when used correctly) to be a synonym to "antiquated", which, since shutters are currently constructed and commonly used, is not accurate. No big deal. I'll focus on the camera from now on (if you'll pardon the pun :)).

I have a very good understanding of how these devices work, as I can see you do as well. I have already discussed (and you have reposted) how shutter speed relates to fps and how it affects the images. The point I was making is that 20 fps is not fast enough to hand-stabilize an image. You need more lke 30-60 fps for this to work, and without the camera taking mostly black images, I simply don't think th CCD used is sensitive enough for this. It's very common with these tiny CCDs used in camera phones.

As for me, I can take very adequate pictures in most circumstances with this phone already (considering its quality), just so long as I pay attention to the lighting conditions of my subject. Bright light = Good. Low light = bad. Use the flash and go close, even though it will tend to wash the colors out, it's better than a blurry picture.

GrnOn2 12-18-2008 03:28 PM

Check the post from GuitarDoc. He gave me a video hack that worked for my KAISER.

discipler 01-02-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveholtam (Post 493700)
Yeah, this mo-fo is REALLY slow. Taking pictures of people is almost impossibile.

No kidding, I have to tell my kids, be quiet and hold the smile for at least 10 seconds. My youngest is 18 and she invariably begins mocking my phone before the picture is taken and then I have a horrible picture. I tell her to keep her mouth shut or keep smiling, but it doesn't make for a good experience.

ScrapMaker 01-02-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discipler (Post 613334)
No kidding, I have to tell my kids, be quiet and hold the smile for at least 10 seconds. My youngest is 18 and she invariably begins mocking my phone before the picture is taken and then I have a horrible picture. I tell her to keep her mouth shut or keep smiling, but it doesn't make for a good experience.

Yeah, I think it's pretty much universally-agreed upon that this phone is terrible for taking pictures of anything but plants and other stationary objects--in direct sunlight.

A poor camera isn't a deal-killer for me, but it sure doesn't help the TP much...

jmorton10 01-02-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discipler (Post 613334)
My youngest is 18 and she invariably begins mocking my phone before the picture is taken .

LOL, my 19 year old son does the same thing....

He gets a big kick out of the fact that he has a digital camera he paid $50 for that would easily take a perfect pic in the same situation & the $500 TP is virtually useless in the same set of circumstances........

~John

mpeters13 01-02-2009 12:52 PM

I've gotten used to taking video and cropping frames. It's that bad. The other day, I wanted to snap a picture of a funny bumper sticker and literally stood behind this car for 5 minutes, trying to grab a shot. I finally got frustrated and used my Pearl 8120 (work phone) to capture the shot instead, lol.

The only thing you can do is develop a steadier hand. Practice that Single Ladies dance, or something. Maybe somewhere between bobbing your head like Beyoncé, and flipping your phone like a ring on your finger, you'll develop asian-like hand steadiness.

GRB 01-02-2009 01:30 PM

This may not be totally helpful since I can't find where I originally got it, but if you use the "Advanced Config" program and go to the camera settings and adjust the "Capture Key Delay Time" to 0, It makes a big difference!

It's still not perfect, and it still works best in good light, but I definitely saw a significant increase in speed.

Again, I can't take credit, it's posted in these forums somewhere.

discipler 01-02-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRB (Post 613596)
This may not be totally helpful since I can't find where I originally got it, but if you use the "Advanced Config" program and go to the camera settings and adjust the "Capture Key Delay Time" to 0, It makes a big difference!

It's still not perfect, and it still works best in good light, but I definitely saw a significant increase in speed.

Again, I can't take credit, it's posted in these forums somewhere.

OK, so the "advanced config program" is a separate program, not part of the built in configuration tools that come with the phone. Is that right? Because I can't find anything like what you describe in the phone. Also, I searched PPCGeeks site and Google it too and could not find anything but this one thread.

jmorton10 01-02-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRB (Post 613596)

Why not just set it to "disabled"??

~John

dr g 01-02-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 613814)
Why not just set it to "disabled"??

~John

Because by default it is disabled. This tweak does nothing.