PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Ugly Sprint version. Can anything be done? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42750)

Druu 11-02-2008 06:15 PM

Ugly Sprint version. Can anything be done?

I don't particularly like the cosmetic changes to the Touch Pro on the Sprint version, are the other all black Pro's compatible with Sprint? Or is their version the only one that will work on their network? Thanks!

phaze 11-02-2008 06:22 PM

Re: Ugly Sprint version. Can anything be done?

Can you point out some of the differences? I am curious now..

TurboFool 11-02-2008 06:28 PM

The only version that looks different that would be compatible with Sprint's network would be Verizon's horribly gimped version, with less RAM, slower processor, and a lot less keys on the keyboard.

Reports consistently state, though, that the Sprint versions alterations lead to a much more physically comfortable phone. The angled corners and edges of the GSM versions don't feel too good.

Personally I'm rather fond of the Sprint revisions. I think the silver was there to capture the iPhone angle but doesn't look too bad, and I love the back of it.

freeza 11-02-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFool (Post 491890)
The only version that looks different that would be compatible with Sprint's network would be Verizon's horribly gimped version, with less RAM, slower processor, and a lot less keys on the keyboard.

Reports consistently state, though, that the Sprint versions alterations lead to a much more physically comfortable phone. The angled corners and edges of the GSM versions don't feel too good.

Personally I'm rather fond of the Sprint revisions. I think the silver was there to capture the iPhone angle but doesn't look too bad, and I love the back of it.

+1 agreed.

big3etr 11-02-2008 08:14 PM

I thought I read the Verizon TP would have the same specs....Just the Diamond was crippled. That was what I read from a thread on here...

Here's the link I read...

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1547

Phreddo 11-02-2008 08:48 PM

i guess everyone has differing tastes, but i can't find anything disagreeable about the touch pro. black and chrome looks just fine for me.

gsvnet 11-02-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big3etr (Post 492091)
I thought I read the Verizon TP would have the same specs....Just the Diamond was crippled. That was what I read from a thread on here...

I believe it was said that pdadb is not so accurate for this sort of thing (especially on a device that has yet to be officially released). I do believe the processor and RAM are gimped, and even if they aren't, the horrible keyboard design would be enough to steer me away. They've got an arrow key in between the M and N or something to that effect, not to mention they're missing a whole bunch of the keys.

I like the styling of the Sprint Touch Pro. I think it looks great...sure it doesn't have the same appeal as the GSM version, but I think both look good in different ways.

youngmodernkrystal 11-02-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big3etr (Post 492091)

PDA DB is often wrong

Druu 11-03-2008 12:27 AM

I suppose the chrome isn't all bad ;), I'll just have to live with it.

phat78boy 11-03-2008 12:29 AM

Man...I love the chrome. This is by far once of the best looking WinMo phones in a long time. This is of course, just my opinion.

[sammich] 11-03-2008 12:37 AM

I would also prefer the GSM edition. I don't like the Sprint flavor as much.

1. Diamond back
2. Steel shell
3. Straight edges
4. Curved, but sharp corners
5. More professional/subtle.

twe90kid 11-03-2008 12:40 AM

i agree i rather have a black back cover with diamond style

eb3604 11-03-2008 12:45 AM

if you dont like the back, i'd assume you could get some vinyl dye, its like spray paint, but it seeps into the surface.

Firon 11-03-2008 12:49 AM

The Sprint TP is nice looking and it's very comfortable to hold. I don't think it's ugly at all. :P I like it more than my friend's Vodafone TP.

MaskedLion 11-03-2008 01:13 AM

I would prefer the diamond back, but this has got to be the coolest looking phone I have ever seen. Way to go Sprint, I say!

gxnext 11-03-2008 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saumaun (Post 492680)
I would also prefer the GSM edition. I don't like the Sprint flavor as much.

1. Diamond back
2. Steel shell
3. Straight edges
4. Curved, but sharp corners
5. More professional/subtle.

doesn't steel shells degrade signal quality, isn't that why iphone 3g nixed the the metal backing it had from the original iphone and went with plastic instead... i could be wrong.. but i remember reading that somewhere...

groovdafied 11-03-2008 02:39 AM

I think there's nothing wrong with the Sprint version of TP. It was designed for comfort and simple style. Besides, I'm mostly looking at the front of the device more then the back ;)

Jc_BlackDragon 11-03-2008 02:54 AM

I Was one of the people that was very dissapointed with the sprint look but i guess that its a matter of getting use to it. I wonder tho if you can buy the original back piece and fit on the sprint version?? That be good cuz everybody will be able to have it the way they like....

gxnext 11-03-2008 03:09 AM

I see no reason why they don't sell these phones in different styles or at the very least battery doors in different styles considering how many ppls would be interested and taste seem to vary... they could at least have a limited release just to see how well it goes..

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6...ondsandlj1.jpg
This is to show you the already many variations in the diamond and pro that I was able to find the back off. You would think some body would cash in since all these different designs already exist... Oh btw, the last two are the same phone, but its changes color (green to purple or whatever color that is) in certain light.

also notice the touch pros are the ones with the flash, and the sprint versions of the diamond and pro have 3.2 mp written on them when some of the others have 3.1.

lilblaze89 11-03-2008 03:09 AM

i don't really mind the color of the back, but i do wish it would've been black tho....

fuuup 11-03-2008 03:14 AM

I like the chrome too, but after spending 30 minutes inspecting every aspect of the device at sprint today, that stuff is definitely rubbing off after a few months... shame.

Other than that, it's a good looking phone.

blue4shizzle 11-03-2008 03:19 AM

sprints version was made that way for a particular reason.. overseas they tend to be fond of shiny/glossy phones, but we (most of us) dont really go for that look because we hate fingerprints and smudges on our phones. sprint intentionally changed the form factor and look so it would appeal to most. of course you cant please everybody but what can ya do. i actually like the sprint version a good deal better, the back feels amazing, and the curved edges takes away that "slab" feeling. if anything i consider sprints version an upgrade in form factor

untouchablez 11-03-2008 03:21 AM

When the gsm version of the touch pro first surfaced I loved the way it looked almost instantly. Now fast forward to ctia where sprints version was shown and I was a bit dissappointed that they slightly changed the color but I was just happy to know that it was coming out officially. But after getting the tp I freakin love way this phone looks. Sprints mods weren't as bad as I thought they would be. Out of all of my ppcs I think this is probably the best looking ppc I've ever had.

kevm14 11-16-2008 11:37 PM

Brought this thread back because I, too, was concerned about the chrome trim around the sides of the TP. I much preferred the GSM version. However, I saw this:

http://wireless.bestbuy.com/specialo...52eeef01350af4

Is it me or is this a new version (for Sprint) without the chrome? Not sure what color the battery cover is, but this is great!

[sammich] 11-16-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevm14 (Post 523802)
Brought this thread back because I, too, was concerned about the chrome trim around the sides of the TP. I much preferred the GSM version. However, I saw this:

http://wireless.bestbuy.com/specialo...52eeef01350af4

Is it me or is this a new version (for Sprint) without the chrome? Not sure what color the battery cover is, but this is great!

Thats the same phone. It just looks darker. It's still chrome, the battery cover is still silver.

Nice find though... got me worrying for a minute there, as I was sooooo hyped about the GSM version.

I still love my TP, but I'd love it more if it had the steel frame and diamond back cover

kevm14 11-17-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saumaun (Post 523810)
Thats the same phone. It just looks darker. It's still chrome,

Hold on a sec.

http://wireless.bestbuy.com/images/phones/57517_z1.jpg

http://wireless.bestbuy.com/images/phones/57517_z2.jpg

http://wireless.bestbuy.com/images/phones/57517_z3.jpg

http://wireless.bestbuy.com/images/phones/57517_z4.jpg

http://wireless.bestbuy.com/images/phones/57517_z5.jpg

Really doesn't look like chrome to me but you are probably right.

HTCFord 11-17-2008 09:51 AM

I have some thoughts about painting my cover black. I had never thought about vinal dye. Way back in the day with my I500 there were forum members who painted theirs.

Have to do more research on the vinal dye discussed earlier in the thread

scott_o 11-17-2008 11:09 AM

HTCFord, do you mean painting the battery cover black? One of my favorite things about this phone is the velvety rubber texture of the battery cover.

Certs 11-17-2008 11:23 AM

Those who prefer the black back may want to wait and see what the Verizon version has- since its CDMA also I'd bet the doors will be interchangable

carvation 11-17-2008 12:07 PM

i dont see how some of you guys like that diamond back, thats butt ugly to me, i love the sprint version, didnt like the gsm version and had doubts about getting it, but when i saw the sprint version i had to get it, and its the only ppc that ive owned that someone gave me compliments on and wanted to see it, no one cared about the 6700, or the mogul.this one is getting noticed big time.

blue4shizzle 11-17-2008 12:38 PM

wow yall are some cry-babies lol.. you make it out like the phone is ugly or somethin.. it looks a lot better than the fuze, and im pretty sure everytime someone see's yalls touchpro, they are like "daaaaaaaaaaamn, thats hot"

Certs 11-17-2008 12:49 PM

Everyone has opinions, let's not call people names. That's how World War 1 started

JickBahTech 11-17-2008 12:52 PM

I haven't gotten my TPro in yet, but after playing with a diamond, I really didn't like how it subtly wobbled when laid on a flat surface. The smoother back on the Sprint Phones seemed to be a little better about that. I don't know if it's just me, but it kinda bothered me that the facets on the GSM version weren't symmetrical LOL...

blue4shizzle 11-17-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pattycerts (Post 524697)
Everyone has opinions, let's not call people names. That's how World War 1 started

my apologies sir... (damn germans)

Baffles 11-17-2008 12:58 PM

Can anything be done? Yes, you can leave Sprint and go get one of the gimped Verizon or AT&T versions. I personally love the look of the Sprint version.

Exil3d 11-17-2008 01:11 PM

forget what i said.

munnarg 11-17-2008 01:57 PM

I love this phone. Strange enough I had one of the first batch from Best Buy on 10/24/08, and had to get it exchanged for various reasons. Now the one I have with a manufacture date of 10/28/08 feels a little lighter, and much better build quality.

HTCFord 11-18-2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_o (Post 524538)
HTCFord, do you mean painting the battery cover black? One of my favorite things about this phone is the velvety rubber texture of the battery cover.

Yes I thought about painting the battery cover. I searched for an old forum posting os someone who did this with spray paint on an old I500 and it looked pretty cool.

I will wait on the verizon version to see if that battery cover is black and try to find one.

Still researching vynal dye

lilblaze89 11-25-2008 01:17 AM

the telus touch pro looks just like the sprint touch pro.....i wonder if its black battery cover fits the sprint version......

x10guy 11-25-2008 01:29 AM

Of course beauty is really in the eye of the beholder....

but after owning the 6700/Apache and the 6800/Mogul... the TP is by far the best looking Sprint WiMo phone in a while.

I also think Sprint finally did a better job with the stock ROM than both the 6700 and especially the 6800.