PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Bluetooth Headset suggestions? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=41785)

JUDD227 10-27-2008 11:03 AM

Bluetooth Headset suggestions?

I've searched 14 pages of threads and not seen an answer so here it is.
I've been looking to get a bluetooth headset and haven't seen any real discussion here on which one's work well with the Touch Pro, so I was wondering if those of you that have the pro could recommend one or warn against one.
Thank you for any input.

jonartbanks 10-27-2008 11:44 AM

Re: Bluetooth Headset suggestions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUDD227 (Post 478529)
I've searched 14 pages of threads and not seen an answer so here it is.
I've been looking to get a bluetooth headset and haven't seen any real discussion here on which one's work well with the Touch Pro, so I was wondering if those of you that have the pro could recommend one or warn against one.
Thank you for any input.

JUDD227,

Try the blueant V1 http://www.myblueant.com/v1_voice_control.htm hands down the best bluetooth headset I've ever had. I'm a gadget freak and I have to have the latest and greastest in technology I have done tons of research before I buy any tech product , I have had the Jawbone 2 which was good but the ear hook are very cheap and will break with little effort. The V1 is great no complaints it has every the Jawbone has in a smaller, more comfortable and cheaper headset and not tro mention it voice activated. I got mine from a store called Brandsmart in Atl, GA for $68.99 compared to the others at $130+.

Phreddo 10-27-2008 11:53 AM

yeah, i got teh blueant too. newegg has an open box for about $60 shipped right now, appears to come with everything. I paid like $76. still trying to figure it out, my mom was complaining that i sounded "fuzzy" and so far i'm not sure if this is working the best or what. haven't had a chance to do real long term testing with it.
however, it won't work calling from a hockey game, i've found.
of course, you need to find a willing participant to help you fully test it.

criticalaudioinc 10-27-2008 11:58 AM

I myself have owned several types of bluetooth headsets, I would also like to try the blueant myself. The ones I have come to like is the plantronics Voyger 510 and 3xx water resistant headset. I have wanted to attempt the Jawbone but have always heard mixed reviews so I have questioned it and stayed with plantronics, But this blueant looks promising.

shellguy 10-27-2008 12:03 PM

I personally have the Plantronics Voyager 855 stereo headset and love it..

shell

Geekcop 10-27-2008 12:11 PM

BlueAnt Z9 works well for me

JUDD227 10-28-2008 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonartbanks (Post 478626)
JUDD227,

Try the blueant V1 http://www.myblueant.com/v1_voice_control.htm hands down the best bluetooth headset I've ever had. I'm a gadget freak and I have to have the latest and greastest in technology I have done tons of research before I buy any tech product , I have had the Jawbone 2 which was good but the ear hook are very cheap and will break with little effort. The V1 is great no complaints it has every the Jawbone has in a smaller, more comfortable and cheaper headset and not tro mention it voice activated. I got mine from a store called Brandsmart in Atl, GA for $68.99 compared to the others at $130+.

Are you using it with the touch pro?

JUDD227 10-28-2008 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phreddo (Post 478652)
yeah, i got teh blueant too. newegg has an open box for about $60 shipped right now, appears to come with everything. I paid like $76. still trying to figure it out, my mom was complaining that i sounded "fuzzy" and so far i'm not sure if this is working the best or what. haven't had a chance to do real long term testing with it.
however, it won't work calling from a hockey game, i've found.
of course, you need to find a willing participant to help you fully test it.

Was it fuzzy on your touch pro?

TurboFool 10-28-2008 02:07 AM

I really like my BlueAnt Z9i. The V1 seemed kind of pointless to me, what with all the voice command abilities of my phone.

biggienick 10-28-2008 02:12 AM

Haven't used it with my TP but I am a huge fan of the 3 Jawbones I had. The sound could've been louder on my end but that's because i'm slightly deaf. it was the only bt headset I could use in the cab of a truck or on a train and not sound like I was standing next to a jackhammer to the other person. Haven't tried a BlueAnt though.

JUDD227 10-28-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFool (Post 480618)
I really like my BlueAnt Z9i. The V1 seemed kind of pointless to me, what with all the voice command abilities of my phone.

That's the one I have been looking at the most, are you using it with the touch pro? Some of the reviews online i have been reading almost sound like it is phone specific as to how well it works.

Excheese 10-28-2008 03:47 PM

I use the EtyBlu with a removable boom mike and everyone says I sound great. It goes way in the ear so you can even hear in very noisy environments. That was the problem with all the others I tried... they could hear me, but I could not hear them. It also works without an earhook, but it does come with one(I hate them). The only downside is it is hard to talk to people face to face with it in cause you can only listen with one ear!

Ex

jonartbanks 10-28-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUDD227 (Post 480565)
Are you using it with the touch pro?

Yesssiirr, I tried the audio fix and it works like a charm

Compusmurf 10-28-2008 10:48 PM

I have a Jawbone II and a Plantronics 925. I don't use the earhook gimmicks or anything like that. I had a custom earpiece done thru averysound. http://www.averysound.com/as.jawboneII.html

They make these custom fit to YOUR ear and your sound quality what YOU hear is 100% better than anything else on the market. The sound is piped directly to your earcanal with NO annoying outside noises to interfere. Also it's about the most comfortable solution.

There's quite a few audiologists that can do this for you as well. Not just Averysound.

It'll take your "almost perfect" bt headset to the next level!

rransburgh 10-29-2008 12:03 AM

I use the Jabra 8010. The earhooks can be a pain but it will work as a single or a headset. It seems to work fine with my pro.

TheRealHotshot 10-29-2008 12:46 AM

im using the moto H680 on my mogul nice ligth weight and small BT but batt life not so great. but i just ordered an blue ant V1 10mins ago for my touch pro when i get it next week il keep you posted and updated on how it works with the touch pro.

deviant.ones 10-29-2008 12:51 AM

I have a BlueAnt Z9i and it is the best headset I have used. Crystal clear on apach, mogul, and now touch pro. Voice Isolation is amazing. In Max Isolation you cannot hear any background noise, i have tested with my wife for 40 min with windows down and radio at a decent lvl while driving and all she could hear was me. Best $70 I have ever spend on a headset.

JUDD227 10-29-2008 03:20 AM

Thank you all for your input, I went ahead and ordered the Blueant Z9i just couldn't wait anymore i'm dyin without a headset when drivin, lol. Anyway's ordered it from Newegg for $57.99 about the cheapest I have found by far I am providing the link below and will update you when I get it how it works, hopefully I have as good of luck as devieant.
Again thank you all for the input.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16875995027

CaliforniaPlaya 10-29-2008 06:47 AM

I just did the same JUDD. My slick new phone needs slink new headset to compliment it. Thanks for the info everyone!

Phreddo 10-29-2008 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUDD227 (Post 480569)
Was it fuzzy on your touch pro?

yeah, that's the phone i was using at the time.

I've been using it a few days, and my wife has no complaints. haven't had a chance to test it in the truck yet, as i'm in the process of switching jobs.

My only complaint with the V1 is that i don't have a case like with my old Samsung WEP410. a case may seem like an extra thing, but the headset was so tiny that the case was about as big as my current headset, counting the earloop. and the headset in teh case you could pocket it or toss it around or whatever. the blueant has a clip, but i'm a little leery of using that for fear that i'll look down and see it gone.

But so far it seems loud enough for me, and that's my main requirement.

ggoldfingerd 10-30-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rransburgh (Post 482178)
I use the Jabra 8010. The earhooks can be a pain but it will work as a single or a headset. It seems to work fine with my pro.

How is the audio sound when listening to music? How are the clarity of the audio when talking on the phone? The oled seems like I cool feature.

I am thinking about a Stereo headset for music/phone calls. I am not sure what to get. I have the Morotola HT820's, but its old and the battery life is down. I think its time for something new.

Thanks

JUDD227 11-01-2008 05:22 PM

Ok, so just an update, I purchased the Blueant Z9i and so far (2 days) with it, it's pretty good. When I first set it up I had a bit of crackling and the people I talked to said it sounded kind of hallow in the max setting. So I did what your supposed to do when something doesn't work right. I read all the directions and then went onto Blueant's web site and uploaded the firmware update. WOW! What a difference. It is crystal clear with good range, i can sit the phone on the table and walk around without it even on me, hell i was a good ten feet away and it was clear. It's pretty damn small to, I was shocked at how small it is. very light as well. I've had it on all day and don't even feel it there.
People i've talked to on the phone with it say it is very clear and don't hear any background noise which is pretty good considering at one time I was standing next to a deisel and I couldn't hear my buddy talking to me from 15 feet away. But on the phone they could hear me and I could hear them. So I'm giving the Blueant Z9i a thumbs up with the Touch Pro, AFTER the firmware update. If I have any problems with it I'll let ya post em here.
Thank you to everyone that responded to my OP.

CaliforniaPlaya 11-01-2008 06:07 PM

Thanks JUDD. I got mine yesterday and wouldn't have thought about updating the firmware. That sure was an interesting procedure.
Whats up with the display case these things come in? I'd much rather it come in a brown box and pay $5 less. Oh well, a great little device either way.

JUDD227 11-01-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaPlaya (Post 490050)
Thanks JUDD. I got mine yesterday and wouldn't have thought about updating the firmware. That sure was an interesting procedure.
Whats up with the display case these things come in? I'd much rather it come in a brown box and pay $5 less. Oh well, a great little device either way.

Yeah no kiddin! Was worried I was gonna blow something up the way they have it layed out and oh if you mess up Damn you have like 20 additional steps. LOL. I haven't found a car charger yet for it looked a few places today can't seem to match that goofy little connector. Oh well, life will go on. I'll keep looking let ya know if I find one.

ggoldfingerd 11-01-2008 09:02 PM

So has anyone used the Motorola S9-HD with the Touch Pro or the Diamond? If so, how does it sound?

I have the HT820 (possibly fake) and they work good. BT Stereo sound's good, call quality is alright. I can walk into other rooms and it works with out breaking up. I have also used the Jabra BCE-250 and the call quality isn't that good (came with my Treo 650).

TheRealHotshot 11-02-2008 06:48 PM

ok as promised my weekend review of the new blue ant V1 and must say its amazing!!! ppl could really tell i got a new bluetooth! coming from a moto H680 to the V1 is a big jump(think from a grand prix to a corvette lol) the sound is loud clear and crisp never having ppl to have to say things twice. on there end its great i sound loud and clear and i havent even put it on Max Iso yet! and i took an out of town trip this wkend driving and was on the phone most of the time and still great sound on both ends. and have yet to drain batt after using for a couple of hrs and leaving it on so i can answer a call. best bluetooth i used to date. hope this write up helps ppl trying to choose a new bluetooth and havent used the new Voice com. on it just yet but the answer and ignore works great. :-)

Phreddo 11-02-2008 10:10 PM

i've found that i've been talking too loud on my headset.
i have to fight the urge to talk over teh background noise.
but yeah, the v1 is good all around.

CaliforniaPlaya 11-03-2008 07:18 PM

Is anyone with the Z9i finding it impossible to reconnect it to the Pro after its turned off and then back on? After I turn it off for the night, when I turn it back on, it will not reconnect. I end up having to re-pair it. After that, its fine until I turn it off again. Its done this everyday so far. When I turn it back on, I get the solid blue light for 5 seconds like the manual says. But then I start getting three blue flashing lights every five seconds after that. I don't even see anything in the manual for three blue flashing lights, only two. Anyone else?

MadlyAlive 11-03-2008 08:55 PM

I use the Jawbone 2 and it's been rock solid on the TP (was on the Mogul too).

A co-worker just picked up a Blueant and I took it for a test drive and it works just as well as the Jawbone 2.

eptd 11-03-2008 09:18 PM

Motorola S9 works great with my TP! Stereo bluetooth and you can use it for phone calls too. Great for running or working out.

ggoldfingerd 11-04-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eptd (Post 494610)
Motorola S9 works great with my TP! Stereo bluetooth and you can use it for phone calls too. Great for running or working out.

How does it sound compared to the headphones that came with the TP (with audio booster enabled)?

JUDD227 11-09-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaPlaya (Post 494322)
Is anyone with the Z9i finding it impossible to reconnect it to the Pro after its turned off and then back on? After I turn it off for the night, when I turn it back on, it will not reconnect. I end up having to re-pair it. After that, its fine until I turn it off again. Its done this everyday so far. When I turn it back on, I get the solid blue light for 5 seconds like the manual says. But then I start getting three blue flashing lights every five seconds after that. I don't even see anything in the manual for three blue flashing lights, only two. Anyone else?

Did you install the firmware update from their website?

I've had mine for a week now and had no problems at all, I can stay connected to the phone from 2 rooms away and not lose voice quality.

Dr.8820 11-09-2008 10:17 PM

i have 3 headsets paired to my pro: the moto h710 for calls, moto s9s for work, and plantronics 590a for both. depending on your needs, really look into the plantronics 590 series.

gordec 12-05-2008 11:54 AM

I just got the Sony Ericsson HBH-DS980 stereo bluetooth headset. It works pretty well. I have tried Moto S9 before this is definitely better in terms of audio quality, but it doesn't come close to my Sony mp3 player with wired headphones. Has anyone experienced bluetooth music playback on par or very close to the quality of their wired mp3 players?

Zero_Shadow 12-05-2008 01:00 PM

Been looking to replace my old Samsung WEP200 for a while now I thought about a Jawbone but im going to check out the BlueAnt Z9i now since it seems to be getting good reviews. Just bought my TP now im spending even more money :)

One question for those with the Z9i does the bluetooth audio work on it from the TP for the music?

Altair38 12-05-2008 02:04 PM

I was searching for a Bluetooth Stereo Headset that supported the 2.0 spec. I found the Nokia BH-604. It is the old fashion over the head and over the ear type which I wanted. All of the contols operate properly and it sounds great with the TP. It works fine on phone connections and has a 20 hr battery life.

diomark 12-05-2008 02:23 PM

EDIT - my current favorites -

Mono headset, Etyblu or Zivio boom
Stereo - samsung sbh-500

I've gone through so many headsets - here's short mini-reviews - paired with my older htc touch and new htc touch pro.

Stereo headsets -
The jaybird stereo headsets work great and sound awesome *when they stay in your ear* - unfortunately the design means that they keep popping out of my ears (they're fine on my wife's ears, so it just depends on the person..) an advantage of this one is that for voice calls, you can drop one of the speakers from your ear (hang it around your neck) and the mic is right next to your lips - so good quality while hanging down, and decent quality while on your ear.. (audio comes out of one ear for phone calls - other ear is the mic)
http://www.jaybirdgear.com/ - only issue with these (other then they don't work for my ears) - is that you have to manually re-enable them. (using a2dp switcher from the today screen, or just use as stereo headset from the comm menu - not a big deal..) - I would definately recommend that you try these (get them from amazon so that you can return if they don't work for your ears..)

The Motorola S9 is fairly decent for stereo call quality (sucks for voice) - but I couldn't use them while leaning back on anything - the headband sticks out behind your head.. they were perfect for me for exercising (although I guess many people have lost their units to sweat.. mine were fine and eventually got sold off to be replaced w/ jaybids.. I kind of miss them though) You do need the bluetooth registry hacks (for higher bitrate streaming) for them to sound good.. Another small annoynace with these was that while it used a mini-usb cable for charging, it would only accept from a laptop or from a motorola charger (my other usb chargers wouldn't work with it)

I just ordered the popular samsung headsets http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips/Samsung-SBH500.htm which has really good reviews - will let people know what I think of them.. (I already know the voice quality is so-so with them - but getting them for stereo) - when looking at new headsets, I was comparing this to the new nokia's.. the nokia is supposed to have much better call quality, but is much more expensive, and uses the nokia charger plug (instead of mini-usb) - which was a deal-breaker for me. Unfortunately, my samsung's just came in (charging now) - and while I was under the impression that it used a standard mini-usb for charging, it's actually proprioitory:( grr... (edit - Using the same settings that worked perfectly on my jaybirds, these kept cutting out - i had to reduce my bitrate/bluetooth settings back to default for them to not keep cutting in and out...) - UPDATE - these sound phenomenal - I went on a run with them, and they didn't cut out once. Unfortunately, they pinch the top of my ears:( so not that comfortable to wear for me.. I ordered the nokia bh-503 so that I can do a side by side comparison next week. UPDATE2 - the nokia is going back - they kept falling off my head! the samsung's rock!

Plantronics Voyager 855 - this one was just ok - it was really annoying in that everytime the cable between the two ears rubbed against something (like, your hair while you walked) - it amplified the sound - drove me nuts and drove me to a refund (especially when listening at lower volumes) Stereo quality was not as good as the s9 or the jaybirds. Phone voice quality was just so-so.. They blocked out to much ambient noise (while amplifying the wire noise everytime it got rubbed against something..)

As far as bluetooth mono headsets for voice go -

I've tried them all, and the zivio boom is really nice if you can get a good fit - the boom slides out.. My wife stoled this one though.. http://www.joby.com/products/zivio/ - awesome incoming and especially outgoing sound quality - and it's actually tiny, despite having a boom.

The etyblu's (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/etyblu.aspx ) outgoing audio quality was really good, but at least my unit had a lot of static on the in-bound sound (callers couldn't hear it ) - I've got mine being exchanged right now - so hopefully it was just my unit.. I did lose a wind-screen the first day that I had it though.. (wind screens are a must if you live in a windy city like san francisco) EDIT - the new unit is much better and the static is barely noticeable)

Jawbone 2 - it's fine as long as you can get a decent fit - I'm having a semi-decent fit using the jabra gel inserts - but the incoming voice is really tiny still.. One issue I have with this headset is that I keep redialing peope when it's in my pocket:( (button is really easy to press) - also the stupid on/off light gets covered up by your finger while you're pressing the button, so hard to see when it's turned on/off.. (bad design on that..)

Bluant Z9 - I loved this headset - but lost it - don't trust the 'belt clip'

Bluant Z9i - got this as a replacement for the z9 - for some reason I didn't think it was as good - maybe the newer headests (jawbone2 at the time) were just better.

plantronics discovery 645 - I don't receommend this at all. outgoing call quality sucks.

plantronics discover 655 - a little better but still not as good as some of the headsets above.

Original jawbone - sucked - way too big, and was impossible for me to get a good fit..

(I've tried to many others, but these are the only ones worth mentioning right now..)
-mark

GhettoBSD 12-05-2008 02:32 PM

i have the motorola s9 and its bad ***, but i only use it on the bike. just ordered 2 jawbone II's for myself and my mom, supposed to be the best! I got them because a lot of people have said they're awesome, so i hope they come through!

Excheese 12-05-2008 03:42 PM

Diomark said: The etyblu's (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/etyblu.aspx ) outgoing audio quality was really good, but at least my unit had a lot of static on the in-bound sound (callers couldn't hear it ) - I've got mine being exchanged right now - so hopefully it was just my unit.. I did lose a wind-screen the first day that I had it though.. (wind screens are a must if you live in a windy city like san francisco)

I bought an ETYBLU right when it came out and the static seems to go away when I hold the phone a certain way (Not Ideal). Other than that I think it's a great headset. Callers say they don't know that I am using a headset. If your new one eliminates the static problem, please let us know with a follow up post.

Thanks
Ex

HBOOT 12-05-2008 03:46 PM

You won't be disappointed with Jawbone2. I had it with the Mogul and now with the TP. Clarity and volume are exceptional, no lost connection .The one thing that hopefully you won't have to mess with is the fit. They come with different earpieces and all however I couldn't have the J2 on my right ear which I prefer, it sits better on the left. Yeah and that nipple thing it has must touch your face so that played a role in finding the best fit too....
I have a Motorolla H680 as a back up.It does the job well as a back up, but is about 25% below the J2 sound clarity and volume...