PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

roxiedawn(: is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
black/blank screen, please help D:

Hello, thankyou everyone who takes the time to read this and to help. My HTC Touch Pro, the screen is completely black, it turns on and I can recieve calls and I know the keyboard works, but I cant even tell who it is or what I'm typing since the screen is blacklight and won't show anything. It powers on and off and charges and i can hear the sounds so I think its just a problem with the screen.

I've tried MyMobiler and Pocket Controller, but both cant work for me because I first need to connect to Activesynce or Windows Mobile Device Center, but I can't even see the password I'm typing so I can't unlock the phone to view it on my computer ((( so I can't get it to connect to activesync or WMDC.

I really wish it was'nt locked with a password because then everything would be easier I'm so upset by this DDD:

I can't hard reset either because I can't see the screen at all.

Should I try to open it up and replace the screen&digitizer myself? I really don't want to try spending extra money fooling around with the phone if I'm not sure it'll work.

What I'd really love to know, does anybody know how to view the phones screen on the computer without having to unlock the password first from the phone? If anyone can help me with that or find some other method than I'd realyREALLYReallyyyy appreciate that sooo much. I could just type the password from the computer or hard reset and everything.

Or if theres any other method of fixing this that would help too...

Also, I can't take it to Sprint store because its out of warranty/insurance, so
I'm just trying to repair it myself. I've heard of this happening to people before but have'nt ever seen it get fixed.

Again, THANKYOU to anyone thats reads or tries to help !

Last edited by roxiedawn(:; 04-13-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: black/blank screen, please help D:

That's a doozie... so you don't know the password? If you know the screen unlock password, in theory you should be able to type it in on the hardware keyboard and unlock the device. Then plug it in to your PC, and click near the top of the screen to make sure you select Activesync.

Assuming the device is still functional and is recognizing your touches, this *should* work. No guarantees.

If you feel comfortable tearing apart your phone and replacing the screen by all means give it a shot. Just be prepared to fail and have a completely non-functional phone instead of a partially non-functional phone...

You may want to pony up for the insurance, unless your contract is up and you can resign to get a new phone or don't mind shelling out $$$ for a new non-contract phone.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Thankyou for answeringg! O:

Well, I know the password but theres a < symbol in it, and I cant see the other part of that on the screen, like, all the alternative keys.

I'm really thinking of opening it but scared I'll make it worse..maybe I should just get the insurance.

Do you know of any program that would let me see the screen without first needing it to be unlocked/connected to activesync/wmdc?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedawn(: View Post
Well, I know the password but theres a < symbol in it, and I cant see the other part of that on the screen, like, all the alternative keys.
Damn... that really sucks. Kinda SOL there then.

Quote:
I'm really thinking of opening it but scared I'll make it worse..maybe I should just get the insurance.
If you have any concerns, get the insurance. I wouldn't make the claim right away tho...

Quote:
Do you know of any program that would let me see the screen without first needing it to be unlocked/connected to activesync/wmdc?
Well, MyMobiler works if you know the phone's IP. May be kinda difficult to get without a functional screen tho.

Does the computer do anything when you plug your phone in? Recognize a mass storage device, try to share internet, anything?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Lmao xD, I know, xPP stupid phone :P but the computer does recognize it when I put it in, as a USB device
Old 04-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Lmao xD, I know, xPP stupid phone :P but the computer does recognize it when I put it in, as a USB device
Well unless you have it set to always be a USB device (mass storage device) then you're kinda screwed. If you have it set to ask, you may be able to tap near the top of the screen after you plug the cable in and if you're lucky you'll get an activesync session. Otherwise, I'd say you're hosed.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ughh nothings working, this is such a mess. I'm going to try to just replace the screen, and I have other old phones that I could just switch to incase this phone breaks even more. I really loved this phone though, I hope everything goes okay ;(

thankyou though for helping me, sooo much.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

beaujbaker is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to beaujbaker

Well have you tried charging it all the way? One time i thought my screen had broke but come to figure i had it set, that when the battery was low it will turn the backlight off completley.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaujbaker View Post
Well have you tried charging it all the way? One time i thought my screen had broke but come to figure i had it set, that when the battery was low it will turn the backlight off completley.
I'm assuming if this was the case, when you plugged it in the backlight would immediately come on... is that an incorrect assumption?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

jaqual is becoming a great contributor
Wirelessly posted (Touch Pro: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50369; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

If you reset it, then hold [Power+Volume Down] to get to bootloader mode, you should be able to at least flash a ROM from your PC. You would know if it's in bootloader if it doesn't vibrate a few seconds after reset. Should have same effect as a hard reset.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro