PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

digiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should I get a Hava or Sling?

I've had a Slingbox Classic for the past 2 years. I enjoyed having my analog cable hooked up to the receiver and my DishNetwork 722 HD DVR hooked up via SVideo. Until Saturday.... my Slingbox went up in smoke.

I see Sling doesn't offer a model with coax in and svideo in anymore, and the HD model that does this is $200+. Not worth is in my opinion. I looked at the Hava HD models and really like what I see!

One question... how well does the Hava client work on the Touch Pro 2? Is the video pretty smooth?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6900
Carrier: sprint

hindibuff is a n00b
Re: Should I get a Hava or Sling?

I wouldnt advise going with Hava since their product really lacks implementation. Horrendous support and non-existent forum responses.

For the cable integration, why dont you try sticking the cable RF into the DVR. You can tune the DVR so it brings in the local channels into the regular guide as well. Very slick integration. Although, I must say that I am not sure if there are any channels that dish doesnt provide that normal cable carries, unless you are using dish for non-traditional packages only.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: USCell

Spelvin is a n00b

I have never used the Sling, and with note to Havas issues by hindibuff, I like my Hava Titanium. There is a hacked cab that runs fine on our TP2s now and I used it to watch the game from CT back up to Maine yesturday while a buddy was driving. Even with network lag the picture and sound on my TP2 was generally 10-15 seconds ahead of my buddies Sirius radio feed of the game from WestWood1.

I got the hava because it was cheap, so I was not exactly expecting the best of support or accessories, but I have definitely gotten my moneys worth out of it.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

Chuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelvin View Post
I got the hava because it was cheap, so I was not exactly expecting the best of support or accessories, but I have definitely gotten my moneys worth out of it.

That's why I have a tough time recommending Sling. They are expensive. Not only do you have to buy the box, but you then have to pay more for the mobile version of the player.

I will say, having used the new 2.0 version of their mobile slingplayer, I am more and more impressed. It is really smooth, even on the TP2. But if you wanna go Sling, you're gonna have to shell out some bucks.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:58 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

sling, worth every penny, you wanna go cheap and youll get what you paid for. save longer and get sling or use someones info. and try it then you will see its worth it.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

i'd go sling... for this kind of app you want the best and the best is sling. sorry hava users.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo

ACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuff

Sling all the way. Their tech support used to be free but now they charge after 90 days or so though.

As for sling classic not working, I've had that happened long ago when I had one. It turned out it was only the adapter that went bad and the support sent me a free replacement adapter after 2-3 yrs of usage. Their support used to be GREAT, now they want credit card number when you connect LMAO.

I still suggest sling because it just works, and pretty easy to install.

Myn's 2.2 RLS3
Netarchy-toastmod-4.21-bfs-bfq-havs-more-smartass-universal (More Aggressive Undervolting) //// Testing Ziggy471Kernel-EVO-update_signed-11052010-1609
Old 02-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

heartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuffheartisall knows their stuff

I bought the Hava at first, ended up returning it for all of the reasons above. Their tech support is garbage and their mobile play is a joke. Got the Slingbox Hd and have never looked back.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

peridoc is a n00b

Just remember that if you go with Sling again, you can use the serial number of your old Slingbox to save $50 if you order directly from Sling.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo

ACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuff

craigslist

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2