PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Just got a random restart... Has anyone else? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=94400)

chronster 11-03-2009 12:19 PM

Just got a random restart... Has anyone else?

I sent a text message within the htc profile extender thing, hit ok, then my phone restarted on it's own.

What gives? Perhaps arcsoft stuff is interfering? This is on mighty rom, but I kind of thought I'd start a thread where people who witnessed a random restart could tell everyone what it was they were doing at the time of the event.

Anyone else have a similar story?

Edit:

As it turns out, there have been quite a few people reporting random restarts. Please respond with your radio version when you report your experience. We might be able to track this down.

So far, people have reported random restarts with everything from sitting still doing nothing, to being tracked via gps on google maps (which, when I think about it, could both be related to gps with the my location function.) There doesn't appear to be an apparent pattern here so far. My hunch is GPS/Radio. Please though, if you have a random restart experience, report it here with your radio version. (To check your radio version, go to your system settings, and look under device information (start>settings>system, or on stock rom start>settings>all settings>system.)

Edit again:

It seems mswlogo has found a possible solution:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 1330209)
There was a problem with QuickGPS downloading bogus data that would cause any GPS application to reboot the phone.

To resolve it some folks put an stable xtra.bin in \Windows and \Temp with a CURRENT DATE. Disabled QuickGPS auto updates of ALL kinds. And reboot. Search diamond or touch pro forums for more info. It seems to have cleared up but the issue may still be lurking. It's very TIME dependent. Same data data file might be ok today broken tomorrow or visa versa.

GPS will work without up to date data from QuiockGPS it just may take a bit longer to lock.

You may have to set QuickGPS service to manual too.

Here is the Diamond thread

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...light=xtra.bin

mikenerd 11-03-2009 12:55 PM

Re: Just got a random restart... Has anyone else?

you had your coffee yet? The last couple of post Ive seen from you in the morning start out "I haven't had any coffee yet...." maybe you were dreaming. :)

i have not had any restarts on Mighty. I did have the little rotating hourglass thing go for about 15 seconds while I was writing an email last night. That and the screen not rotate once or twice. Other than that, solid

gTen 11-03-2009 01:00 PM

Ive had random restarts while using the WIFI Router, this is on both the Mighty Rom and Stock. I also once or twice had a restart while surfing(on noen mighty haven't surfed much on mighty yet) and another member also had restarts on surfing.

What is in common is usage of a connection so it might actually be the radio :/

madmax2k1 11-03-2009 01:05 PM

I had a random restart on stock ROM.

subzero1313 11-03-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax2k1 (Post 1294139)
I had a random restart on stock ROM.

happened to me about 5 times since Ive owned it, I think once since Ive flashed

chronster 11-03-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikenerd (Post 1294104)
you had your coffee yet? The last couple of post Ive seen from you in the morning start out "I haven't had any coffee yet...." maybe you were dreaming. :)

i have not had any restarts on Mighty. I did have the little rotating hourglass thing go for about 15 seconds while I was writing an email last night. That and the screen not rotate once or twice. Other than that, solid

LOL! Well I've had my mountain dew, does that count? :P

I guess I could say I'm lucky that it's only happened once, BUT, I really dread the idea that the frequency at which it happens will go up over time.

Just trying to see if there's a common behavior that triggers a restart...

chronster 11-03-2009 01:54 PM

you know, I just realized, when my phone restarted, it was after I hit an ok button in the top right hand corner. When I go back now, it's not there. The profile extension thing is part of the sense ui, so it only has a back button down in the bottom left hand corner.

now, maybe, and this is a big maybe, somehow the coding had a glitch in it where it never took away that ok button when the screen loaded. So when I hit ok, a fatal error ocured, and boom, restart.

gTen 11-03-2009 02:02 PM

Well in my case I had 1 or so restarts a week but lately ive been getting 3-10 a week :(

and I'm not pressing the OK button thats for sure..I'm not even touching the phone.

chronster 11-03-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1294345)
Well in my case I had 1 or so restarts a week but lately ive been getting 3-10 a week :(

and I'm not pressing the OK button thats for sure..I'm not even touching the phone.

uh oh. I hope this isn't an emerging hardware issue :/

migz1134 11-03-2009 03:51 PM

I've had random resets only when i am playing music on my phone. i am using pocketmusic for music playback. i am beginning to think my device crashes and forces a restart similar to a desktop with windows.

gd761 11-03-2009 07:20 PM

I have had about 7 random restarts since I had it. I have had it now for a little over a month. Some times it restarted while I was working on the phone. And at other times it restarted while it was just sitting on the table for over an hour of not being touched. As soon as it happened, I checked my wifes phone to see if the signal in my area had faded or not and it didn't. I figurde that might be the problem, but it wasn't. I have the stock ROM on my phone and had hacked it and put a bunch of software on it. I figured that might be the problem also, so I hard reset my phone and waited for about 2 weeks and it happened again with nothing installed on the phone and with it being the same way as just taken out of the box. I didn't even sync it with the computer to see if that might also be a reason for this, but it still wasn't. So far it has been 1 week since I reloaded all the software and no resets yet.

Dragon2 11-03-2009 07:26 PM

0 restarts here......... Had it for like 2 months...

scottmail 11-03-2009 07:51 PM

I had 5 random restarts yesterday, but only 1 today. 2 of the 5 times my phone was just sitting there, then restarted with 0 interaction or button pressing.

tr0s 11-03-2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmail (Post 1295419)
I had 5 random restarts yesterday, but only 1 today. 2 of the 5 times my phone was just sitting there, then restarted with 0 interaction or button pressing.

just out of curiosity what rom are you running?

gTen 11-03-2009 08:13 PM

Well its definitely an issue..the cause though is hard to pin point..I wonder if

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb680409.aspx

will capture it if its an error :/..but then it may be at a low level.

It is unusual for a device to restart rather then say hang or output some sort of failure message.

i360 11-03-2009 08:57 PM

I've seen my Touch Pro restart itself once or twice without me touching it...
I think it was possessed actually. :twisted:

So far the TP2 is rock solid.

gTen 11-03-2009 09:04 PM

Just in case, for those that had restarts and those that don't, what radio versions are you using?

MrGoodCat 11-03-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon2 (Post 1295308)
0 restarts here......... Had it for like 2 months...

same here, have had mine for almost 2 months and have never had a single freeze or random reset. its stock 6.1 still, but i have modified it quite a bit. i am truly surprised nothing has happened.

however i now feel i have jinxed myself for posting that in this thread....i can feel a random reset coming...

hopefully this is not a hardware issue for those having the resets

EDIT: Radio 1.88.07WV

gTen 11-03-2009 10:15 PM

Well since my phone reset itself AGAIN for the 3rd time today my radio is:

Radio 1.96.00WV and it has Restarts

Also by going back posts I noticed only Sprint mention restarts and so far VZW and Tmobile claimed to have no restarts.

duck9191 11-03-2009 10:40 PM

i get one every few days, ill notice my BT handfee says "your phone is not connected" and sure enough the phone is restarting. this was with the stock rom, dont recall it happening with mighty's rom, ill have to keep an eye out.

was kinda thrown off when it first happened as my touch pro never restarted its self. seems fine and im not the only one so i feel better lol.

gTen 11-04-2009 02:46 AM

Is anyone with Verizon or Tmobile or Telus can confirm this issue?

and how are sprint users running 2.05 radio, are you seeing this issue?

Since a mightyrom is same for all cdma carriers atleast, if this only happens on sprint would isolate the issue to either hardware or radio.

chronster 11-04-2009 10:55 AM

I'm running 1.96.00WF.

Can someone start some kind of table showing number of restarts people are reporting within a given time on what radio?

gTen 11-04-2009 08:25 PM

well as stated before..my restarts are off the roof..on a bad day I can get 5 restarts in a day..mostly while using wifi router but today I was in the city and it reset itself on google maps :(

Wunder 11-04-2009 09:22 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

stock rom here. added myphone, pocketshield and sms tweak, raandom restart while surfing facebook lite in opera

abdeviation 11-04-2009 09:49 PM

Wirelessly posted (Sprint Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.5(Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en) HTC_Touch_Pro2)

im on mighty's rom and i had a restart today. i was driving in my car, the phone was on the dashboard with google maps tracking me through gps and then it reboot itself

gTen 11-04-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 1297269)
I'm running 1.96.00WF.

Can someone start some kind of table showing number of restarts people are reporting within a given time on what radio?

Hey can you update the thread topic with the information cause it looks like people aren't reading all the threads thus not providing some of the necessary details.

duck9191 11-04-2009 11:49 PM

im on 1.96.oowf and mighty rom and have had a few restarts. none lately knock on wood.

delfin2003 11-15-2009 01:09 AM

just had a random restart. and was using google maps 3 hours prior. So maybe these restarts are caused by google maps

mswlogo 11-15-2009 01:16 AM

There was a problem with QuickGPS downloading bogus data that would cause any GPS application to reboot the phone.

To resolve it some folks put an stable xtra.bin in \Windows and \Temp with a CURRENT DATE. Disabled QuickGPS auto updates of ALL kinds. And reboot. Search diamond or touch pro forums for more info. It seems to have cleared up but the issue may still be lurking. It's very TIME dependent. Same data data file might be ok today broken tomorrow or visa versa.

GPS will work without up to date data from QuiockGPS it just may take a bit longer to lock.

delfin2003 11-15-2009 11:33 AM

I don't have quick gps on my phone at all, yet it did it yesterday.

gTen 11-15-2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 1330209)

So the Verizon, Tmobile and Telus who don't seem to be having this issue don't have QuickGPS? only sprint has it?

mswlogo 11-16-2009 02:29 PM

Look in \Windows and see if xtra.bin with a recent date exists. If it does you are running QuickGPS. It's been running out of the box for me and I never even started the QuickGPS app.

There may be other ways of getting the same bogus data into your GPS that will crash it. I you are rebooting on GPS apps I suspect it is the same issue Diamond and Touch Pro has had to deal with it.

That said with stock ROM QuickGPS seems to be doing fine no reboots yet. Their I just jynxed myself.

PdaOd 11-19-2009 12:16 PM

I've had 5 restarts in about 3 weeks running stock ROM and radio on Sprint. So far every time it has happened I was streaming audio on TCPMP while using a cigarette lighter charger and the 3.5mm audio connector to the car. Last couple times I noticed that after it reset I couldn't get any audio output from the speaker or via the 3.5mm jack, but BT A2DP worked OK. A soft reset restored the audio. Last time I noticed that a soft reset would not restore the audio unless I disconnected the 3.5mm connection first. I don't know if this has anything to do with the cause of the restart or just a related anomaly.

I have used the QuickGPS and will try to keep track to see if there is any correlation to the random resets. I typically use the TP2 all day long indoors for a data connection and it hasn't reset during those times.

I'm also curious to see if it's radio related as this problem only seems to be affecting the Sprint versions. My Mogul never restarted like this.

PdaOd 11-24-2009 12:39 AM

Just had another one today. The frequency seems to be increasing. It's getting close to one per day. Today is was while streaming via bluetooth. Every time it has been running TCPMP, so it might be related to that too in my case.

00_MACKIE_00 12-24-2009 02:10 PM

Running Mightyrom 12.19.09, just had my first random restart. I am streaming Sirius WM6 via WIFI with the screen off using shutxp so my wireless connection doesn't die. It is plugged into the AC power as well.

Music stopped and I looked down and I saw the boot screen.

fakereal 12-29-2009 05:04 AM

I am running stock rom with radio: 1.96.00WF, phone would restart by itself while using google map also while not using google map, it has restarted during AIM chat or just plain web browsing. Went to Sprint store today to complain and 1hr later, the tech says there is absolutely nothing wrong with your phone and refuses to exchange it for another....

my sprint touch pro 2 would also randomly restarts itself while using a custom rom... :(

So has anyone figure got any clue as to why this is yet?

jweek 12-29-2009 12:21 PM

I have been seeing these periodically as well - i'm wondering if it has to do with running out of memory?

Asperanza01 12-29-2009 12:49 PM

WOW this is the first time i post u guys do suck a great job that i find all my answers in the fourms here and at xda so i have had the same issue random restarts using radio 1.96.00WF and energyrm I have noticed it's when my singal drops really low and i'm using the data connection and it resets its self. Now lastnight I reloaded the stock rom for sprint and will see how it goes I think it has to do with CDMA and GSM cause it's looking for a network when it drops that low. I also have it resetting my FM reciver to play the phone over my radio it also charges the phone and it kicks the device out and i have to unplug it and re plug it in to get it back. it's all bothersome but other wise everything else is great so far

mswlogo 12-29-2009 12:59 PM

I have not seen this once on the Touch Pro 2. Stock, Mighty ROM or Energy ROMs. I've mostly run Energy ROMs.

rydah805 12-29-2009 01:14 PM

add me to the list. 1 so far. happened while i was on this forum. my devices cpu mem always starts off high. how can i lower ir?