PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Battery test with case holder - 30% loss (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=92106)

saj070 10-23-2009 10:28 AM

Battery test with case holder - 30% loss

ok i have been testing my battery with my magnetic case holder.

I have OEM HTC case. i did use the tweakt to slidewake to zero.

here the results after 8 days of testing every night i 100% charge my battery. if i leave the phone in the case with the battery facing the magnetic clip it will drain 30% of battery life after 8 hours.

if you place it on the table and not in the case battery life only lose 5% - 10%.

My conclusion is the magnetic field is attracting the battery to drain quicker.

If you flip the phone in the case then there is no battery loss..

So bottom line people with magnetic case either flip your phone so the battery door is not facing the magnet, or at night time remove the phone from the case..

i hope this helps other who notice battery loss overnight or during the day if your phone is using a case with magnetic holder..

Russellhi 10-23-2009 08:59 PM

Re: Battery test with case holder - 30% loss

thanks for posting your findings

saj070 10-23-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russellhi (Post 1259175)
thanks for posting your findings

anytime every little info helps if you want to maximize your HTC TP2.

i can't put the phone in my pocket it just feel to bulky. i have always used a case. so when i go out all day and night hate to waiste 30% battery life or more just cause the magnetic clip is pulling the power.

enjoy i hope it helps other using magnetic case.

bluruld 10-23-2009 10:42 PM

I've also notice drain with my magnet holder. I think I'm going to return it and just live with my ghost armor. The thing is I wear scrubs and those lack pockets :(

GrandMasterB 10-23-2009 11:35 PM

It has been a real battle but I finally found a leather clip holster at WalMart without a flap and thus no magnets. Sucks because I have an extensive collection of leather holster cases in a shoebox in my closet but the majority of them are BlackBerry cases and they ALL have magnets. I cant pocket the device either , its just not safe.

I have found that I cannot using any magnets with my TP2 or it causes me grief...

ponicg 10-24-2009 12:54 AM

Are you guys sure it's the magnet in the case? I find that when I'm at work and I leave my phone on my desk, I can get 2 full days(~48 hours) out of a single charge, whereas if I keep it in my pocket for a few hours, I'll have to charge that night...

Airhead315 10-24-2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponicg (Post 1259886)
Are you guys sure it's the magnet in the case? I find that when I'm at work and I leave my phone on my desk, I can get 2 full days(~48 hours) out of a single charge, whereas if I keep it in my pocket for a few hours, I'll have to charge that night...

Im wondering also if the increased battery drain is due to

A: if its in the case its probably on the move meaning its searching for towers/switching towers more often.
B: if its not on the move its possible that the case is hampering the signal enough to cause the phone to have to search for a better tower?

Do you have another leather case without a magnet that you could try?

Edit: you did mention that flipping the phone around seemed to solve the problem and I dont see how doing this would change the result if it were either of the reasons I posted so....ignore this post :-p

xr7kid 10-24-2009 01:19 AM

lol I'd like to know how a static magnetic field effects battery life?

oldman 10-24-2009 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airhead315 (Post 1259925)
Im wondering also if the increased battery drain is due to

A: if its in the case its probably on the move meaning its searching for towers/switching towers more often.
B: if its not on the move its possible that the case is hampering the signal enough to cause the phone to have to search for a better tower?

Do you have another leather case without a magnet that you could try?

Edit: you did mention that flipping the phone around seemed to solve the problem and I dont see how doing this would change the result if it were either of the reasons I posted so....ignore this post :-p

Quote:

Originally Posted by xr7kid (Post 1259930)
lol I'd like to know how a static magnetic field effects battery life?

I've seen a video someplace on this subject, and yes, SOME cases with magnets will cause the battery to drain. The discussion is in one of the many different forums, but I also think that the video is on UTube. The reason being that there are a couple of small magnets inside the TP2 that turn the backlight on when the keyboard is opened..which will drain the battery.

You can test your case, by placing the phone on a desk, face up and wave your magnet over the face close to the surface. If the backlight doesn't come on, then your case is probably OK.

The video proves this fact.

bob

xr7kid 10-24-2009 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 1259938)
I've seen a video someplace on this subject, and yes, SOME cases with magnets will cause the battery to drain. The discussion is in one of the many different forums, but I also think that the video is on UTube. The reason being that there are a couple of small magnets inside the TP2 that turn the backlight on when the keyboard is opened..which will drain the battery.

You can test your case, by placing the phone on a desk, face up and wave your magnet over the face close to the surface. If the backlight doesn't come on, then your case is probably OK.

The video proves this fact.

bob

I can see the case magnet tripping the screen sensor. I just don't think a magnet around a battery will somehow cause an increase in current and drain on battery.

oldman 10-24-2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xr7kid (Post 1259950)
I can see the case magnet tripping the screen sensor. I just don't think a magnet around a battery will somehow cause an increase in current and drain on battery.

Here's a video that proves the magnetic case will cause the battery to drain. It may not be by the battery, but it does turn the TP2 on

http://www.vimeo.com/5063985

bob

GrandMasterB 10-24-2009 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xr7kid (Post 1259950)

Well if the magnet is constantly telling the display to turn on and that the keyboard is open and shut repeatedly while in the case that is going to drain the battery obviously...

xr7kid 10-24-2009 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandMasterB (Post 1260028)
Well if the magnet is constantly telling the display to turn on and that the keyboard is open and shut repeatedly while in the case that is going to drain the battery obviously...

Quite right. I was thinking the slidetowake tweak the OP did would of eliminated the screen turning on though. So I was thinking, if the screen didn't come on, then there's no way a magnet could drain a battery. But if his screen does come on, then well, yea, waste of battery.

homerandabe69 10-24-2009 04:45 AM

also i noticed that if you are in an area with spotty reception the screen will come on automatically if it goes from no reception to having bars. its annoying to leave it on the table and see the screen turn on every couple of minutes with no activity.

pimpsuprazx 10-24-2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saj070 (Post 1257521)
ok i have been testing my battery with my magnetic case holder.

I have OEM HTC case. i did use the tweakt to slidewake to zero.

here the results after 8 days of testing every night i 100% charge my battery. if i leave the phone in the case with the battery facing the magnetic clip it will drain 30% of battery life after 8 hours.

if you place it on the table and not in the case battery life only lose 5% - 10%.

My conclusion is the magnetic field is attracting the battery to drain quicker.

If you flip the phone in the case then there is no battery loss..

So bottom line people with magnetic case either flip your phone so the battery door is not facing the magnet, or at night time remove the phone from the case..

i hope this helps other who notice battery loss overnight or during the day if your phone is using a case with magnetic holder..

but wouldn't putting the phone LCD out toward the magnet damage it after a while like a magnet on a TV screen? I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble here, nor do I want to test it and find out lol.

WarChild 10-24-2009 11:49 AM

If you bypass the magnetic sensor there (should be) no way it can drain the battery. But I have been wrong in the past.

WarChild 10-24-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xr7kid (Post 1260121)
Quite right. I was thinking the slidetowake tweak the OP did would of eliminated the screen turning on though. So I was thinking, if the screen didn't come on, then there's no way a magnet could drain a battery. But if his screen does come on, then well, yea, waste of battery.

finnally thank you!

WarChild 10-24-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpsuprazx (Post 1260239)
but wouldn't putting the phone LCD out toward the magnet damage it after a while like a magnet on a TV screen? I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble here, nor do I want to test it and find out lol.

I have tried it both ways and it does nothing to the screen.

saj070 10-24-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xr7kid (Post 1260121)

OK i did a test for 8 consecutive days with battery facing the magnet and battery not facing the magnet.

as you can see i lost 30% battery power all four days.

i lost 5% - 10% battery power when battery was not facing the magnet..

remember i have a OEM HTC original leather case and magnet is not that strong.

i can tell you a PHD confirms there is a direct corolation between magnetic filed and battery...

So you can do what ever you like or disregard my findings....

My TP2 last 1.5 days with average useage with my phone in the case all day and night.

before i was lucky to get it pass the whole day with battery door facing the magnet...

for me it does work i am happy and there is noway i am facing my battery towards the magnet...

beejmeister 10-24-2009 12:23 PM

Just to throw some more conjecture in, I think that my problem may be more a situation of the case being tight on the ON button on the top of the phone pushing the button as I walk. I've taken the phone out of the case and had the "DO you want to turn of your device?" message on the screen which would indicate that my case had held the button down for the requisite amount of time.

Guess if the phone was sitting on my desk in the case I could test it against it not in my case (like talked about above to see) but I still think that there is a problem with the phone turning on because the button gets pushed.

I installed S2U2 and think that with the 10 sec. turn off if the unlock slide isn't done that that has helped (because at max the screen only stays on for 10 sec if the button is the culprit).

My 2 cents adjusted for inflation....

saj070 10-24-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beejmeister (Post 1260698)
Just to throw some more conjecture in, I think that my problem may be more a situation of the case being tight on the ON button on the top of the phone pushing the button as I walk. I've taken the phone out of the case and had the "DO you want to turn of your device?" message on the screen which would indicate that my case had held the button down for the requisite amount of time.

Guess if the phone was sitting on my desk in the case I could test it against it not in my case (like talked about above to see) but I still think that there is a problem with the phone turning on because the button gets pushed.

I installed S2U2 and think that with the 10 sec. turn off if the unlock slide isn't done that that has helped (because at max the screen only stays on for 10 sec if the button is the culprit).

My 2 cents adjusted for inflation....

i use pockeshield and my phone is a perfect fit the power button is open no interference at all with case...

i am 100% that the magnet is draining the power and yes i already tweaked my phone to "sidewake = zero"

that the first thing i did and still notice battery drainage. it was by luck that one night i had 60% power left the phone on the table went to sleep 8 hours later i still had 60% battery i said hmmm that is when i started experimenting with my case and you know the rest..

GrandMasterB 10-24-2009 01:19 PM

People really should stop to consider there are many other factors involved , such as if you "lock" the device before holstering OR if you listen to steaming music in the background, both those will break the magnet slide fix thus making it not such a "simple fix".

Even with the slide fix enabled when I remove my TP2 it makes the slide sound , instantly wakes up and is screaming hot and battery is depleted completely within 4 hours. Same phone, new case (no magnet) , same daily routine working in the shop with streaming music for 8 hours or so and this no longer happens and my battery life has increased 2 fold or more.

saj070 10-24-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandMasterB (Post 1260833)
I am glad to see that you have the final word here but the rest of us are trying to have a discussion.

Did you ever stop to consider there are many other factors involved , such as if you "lock" the device before holstering OR if you listen to steaming music in the background, both those will break the magnet slide fix thus making it not such a "simple fix".

Even with the slide fix enabled when I remove my TP2 it makes the slide sound , instantly wakes up and is screaming hot and battery is depleted completely within 4 hours. Same phone, new case (no magnet) , same daily routine working in the shop with streaming music for 8 hours or so and this no longer happens and my battery life has increased 2 fold or more.

well said i agree with you. we all here to make the most out oour TP2 and the experience good or bad we have..

WarChild 10-24-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

I am glad to see that you have the final word here but the rest of us are trying to have a discussion.

you should pm people if you feel the need to single anyone out.

WarChild 10-24-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

My TP2 doesnt do this, maybe we can compair eachothers cabs and tweeks and figure what might be causing yours, and others, phone to do this. After my "SlideWakeUp tweek" ( [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\DeviceMap\Keybd] Create new dword "SlideWakeup" with value of 0 and soft reset. ) my phone absolutely does not respond when passing any kind of magnet across it or sliding the keyboard even after several soft resets. It wil however do it after a hard reset.......;)

GrandMasterB 10-24-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandWheeler (Post 1262227)
you should pm people if you feel the need to single anyone out.

ClevelandWheeler is the best!!!

GrandMasterB 10-24-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandWheeler (Post 1262264)
My TP2 doesnt do this, maybe we can compair eachothers cabs and tweeks and figure what might be causing yours, and others, phone to do this. After my "SlideWakeUp tweek" ( [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\DeviceMap\Keybd] Create new dword "SlideWakeup" with value of 0 and soft reset. ) my phone absolutely does not respond when passing any kind of magnet across it or sliding the keyboard even after several soft resets. It wil however do it after a hard reset.......;)

That reg tweak works as long as you dont lock your device OR stream music in the background. Try locking your device , then put to sleep and then pass the magnet over it.

WarChild 10-24-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandMasterB (Post 1262269)
ClevelandWheeler is the best!!!

Your awesome thanks!:-$

WarChild 10-24-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandMasterB (Post 1262274)
That reg tweak works as long as you dont lock your device or stream music in the background. Try locking your device , them put to sleep and then pass the magnet over it.

I use S2U2 all the time but I dont stream music

GrandMasterB 10-24-2009 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandWheeler (Post 1262275)
Your awesome thanks!:-$

You actually read my mind!:occasion5:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandWheeler (Post 1262277)
I use S2U2 all the time but I dont stream music

I have not used S2U2 on my TP2 but I did used to use it on my TP. I was using the stock WinMo lock. And I stream music all day everyday at work, its the only thing that keep me sane ( I think )

WarChild 10-24-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandMasterB (Post 1262300)
I have not used S2U2 on my TP2 but I did used to use it on my TP. I was using the stock WinMo lock. And I stream music all day everyday at work, its the only thing that keep me sane ( I think )

maybe its the stock locker then have you tried not streaming music and seeing if the screen still lights up? Do you want me to post the S2U2 cab? Might work better than stock and it shows the weather. (i have no clue what the stock one has)

John1 10-24-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandWheeler (Post 1262309)
maybe its the stock locker then have you tried not streaming music and seeing if the screen still lights up? Do you want me to post the S2U2 cab? Might work better than stock and it shows the weather. (i have no clue what the stock one has)

yes I would like it please.

WarChild 10-24-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John1 (Post 1262312)
yes I would like it please.

I sent it to you.

GrandMasterB 10-24-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandWheeler (Post 1262309)

I would be much obliged. Thank you kind sir.

John1 10-24-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandWheeler (Post 1262329)
I sent it to you.

Got it thanks!

WarChild 10-24-2009 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the S2U2 cab (I didn't make it) let me know if you need anything else. it has a spaceship wallpaper...lol I know...but you can change it.

Attachment 46047

saj070 10-24-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandWheeler (Post 1262339)
Here is the S2U2 cab let me know if you need anything else. it has a spaceship wallpaper...lol I know...but you can change it.

Attachment 46047

i use pocketshied cause s2u2 use to take a lot of power ...

again my 2 cents my opnion...

WarChild 10-24-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saj070 (Post 1262343)
i use pocketshied cause s2u2 use to take a lot of power ...

again my 2 cents my opnion...

I haven't really noticed a battery drain but then again I haven't tried any other locker....if you post the cab I wouldn't mind giving your 2 cents a try.

GrandMasterB 10-24-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandWheeler (Post 1262339)
Here is the S2U2 cab let me know if you need anything else. it has a spaceship wallpaper...lol I know...but you can change it.

Attachment 46047

Thank you for the cab and thanks for your insight.

swoope 10-25-2009 12:20 AM

great thread! thx:)

beers