PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 01:05 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

chuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP2 Owners Please Read...

With this newly developed device we are all jumping right in and modding and tweaking. To the members who are either new to windows mobile (TP2 being your first device) or have just joined this site please do some trial and error on your own. I'm only writing this thread because I have noticed alot of new members (and some older ones too) that have gotten their device and just jumped right in. Throwing cab after cab and tweaking right and left. Now the majority of what there is to read is, "My device isn't working right". To all the new windows mobile users, you really should use the phone right out of the box before you start modding and tweaking. We have all already seen from others experiences that some older mods work and some don't and even some work half way. I know I don't have the only device that was built and programmed perfect! But every time I read where someone was having issues, I started testing those issues on my device and was not experiencing the problems or issues. After pages and pages of complaints, so far it has ended up being a cab (or several) or reg edits that was installed creating the issues. I enjoy this site and I learn from my mistakes, all others mistakes and the wisdom that each and everyone brings. I myself would like to see more members doing their own trial and error when they start experiencing problems. It's easy, start un-installing cabs till you find which one caused your problem. Then instead of posting problems you can post fixes even if the fix is letting the community know there might be a compatibility issue with a particular cab, mod, or reg edit and so forth. Atleast that way when it is announced, someone with greater knowledge and skills can look into the cabs and such to try and fix it if possible. And furthermore (and this has been stated over and over)...Please read before you post!

I look forward to the unlocker as every other TP2 owner does. And when that happens there are going to be more problems and issues. But I personally would like to see more members helping themselves find the answer instead of just installing everything they see and expecting someone to figure out why their phone doesn't work. I am not saying you can't ask for help. But the more information you can provide about the problem or issue, the more help that the members can give. Yes, some issues may be either HTC or the carriers fault but that cannot be determined when there is a list of installed software.

I apologize up front if it sounds as though I am rambling on and on!!! My intent is to also not sound like a jerk.

Mods, if you feel my statements are unnecessary, please feel free to delete this thread.

Thanks to all!
This post has been thanked 12 times.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pto 2
Carrier: Telus

sonofliberty is becoming a great contributor
Re: TP2 Owners Please Read...

You are right !

What do u suggest to take the appropriate precautions ?

How to uninstall some cabs that are not in the program list ?

What is the way to make registry save ?

You pointed a very important point, and i wanted to THANK YOU !

Cheers
Old 09-19-2009, 01:32 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

chuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIP

I use PHM Regedit and it can backup/restore the registry. I am sure the other reg edit programs do too. As far as something being installed and not showing up in the remove programs I'll ask the community to help with this one.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckz07 View Post
I use PHM Regedit and it can backup/restore the registry. I am sure the other reg edit programs do too. As far as something being installed and not showing up in the remove programs I'll ask the community to help with this one.
Thanks !

for example :

"GPS Registry - Telus"
"Enable In Call Recording"
"Enable All Camera Modes"

do not showing up

Should i ask for a solution for those items ?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:53 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Really, a person should do a full backup more than daily when installing new software, especially on a new model of phone. Something like Sprite or SPBBackup, not just a PIM backup
Old 09-19-2009, 02:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff

Here's what I've got...

I use SPB backup to backup my contacts and everything else on the phone, that way you can restore if everything goes wonky or backup to when it was working better.

I keep ONLY the CABs that I have installed on the phone in a folder on my memory card.

I keep all the cabs and exe.s that I downloaded in a folder on my PCs desktop. This includes one's that are NOT installed.

Becuase I have all the CABs that are installed on the phone on my memory card, I can put my phone back to the way it was from a HARD reset, meaning that I power off, hold the green and red buttons, power on and the phone will reformat back the way it came out of hte box. Then I simply install each CAB saved on my memory card, or if I have a favorite setup backed up, I simply restore the back up to my phone with SPB backup.

I also have a bunch of manual edits that I did to the registry, I don't bother to try and remember what I did because I know what they do. If you are unsure how registry edits affect your phone, then I would suggest writing them down or at least bookmark every page that you followed instructions on for editing you registry.

There's nothing wrong with downloading a bunch of CABS and going crazy, BUT you must be prepared for the consequences. I have a backup file of my phone, eaxactly the way I want it, with all the CABS and programs installed. Fom here on out, should I install something that doesn't work right and if I try to uninstall it and it stil doesn't work right, I can restore my phone to the way it was.

Now if you have a problem and you have all your CABS saved on your memory card, you can reformat your phone (hard reset) and install each CAB one by one and check each time to see if the problem comes back. Another benefit of that is your registry is clean and clear of all the programs and CABs that you may have installed and uninstalled before you did the hard reset. Unfotunately, on PPC and PC's, sometimes uninstalling programs and CABs can still leave traces behind that can cause problems.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

million thanks ! your post is now very constructive ! thanks for sharing your experience
cheers
Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

I'm planning to purchase SKTools, what do u think of it ? thanks in advance
Old 09-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofliberty View Post
I'm planning to purchase SKTools, what do u think of it ? thanks in advance
I think I used an older version some time ago, but glancing through the web page for it, I would say it's a wise investment.

With all the features it lists, there isn't a whole lot you couldn't do with that program.

It looks like it has a trial / demo, I would suggest downloading that and playing with it first.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:51 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

ahh, i remember when i thought i could make a difference.... sorry OP but your fighting a losing battle... you can tell people to search till your blue in the face... theres still gonna be multiple posts daily about thing already discussed to death... thats what half the stickies in most forums are,one thread made for a question that gets repeatedly asked...then guess what, people still ask even when theres a sticky on top of that page....

although ur intentions were good, was a little dissappointed that i felt compelled to come read by the title, then its an adress to newbies....good luck with that... if u wanna help,help...if you dont, dont... its your choice to read or not read.... yes, its annoying agreed... but you gotta just deal with it and if u wanna give them the answer u do, otherwise u just go on to the next thing.. making something like is isnt gonna do a thing, especially 3 days from now when u find it buried on page 10.... nice try though..

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2