PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Problems with U-Connect (handsfree) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=84878)

dodgeboy 09-15-2009 09:08 AM

Problems with U-Connect (handsfree)

I've been noticing relatively consistent problems with answering and hanging up calls with my U-Connect system in my Dodge Ram. I never had a single problem with it on my Touch Pro (1). Occasionally, when getting an incoming call, I won't be able to answer it from the radio (but the ringing will start to come through the car speakers after I press the answer button). And almost every time I try to end a call, U-connect will report that the call has ended, but the call will still be in progress (and still connected to bluetooth). Sometimes it will hang up 10 seconds later, and sometimes it will never hang up.

This is very disappointing and frustrating... Certainly a big step backwards in the bluetooth department, going from a TP1 to a TP2. It looks like the TP2 has some crazy proprietary BT stack on it, which I am sure is to blame.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? As much as I don't want to, this might be a reason for me to return the phone. I really enjoyed how well the TP1 worked with my U-Connect system.

Dave

dallas contractor 09-15-2009 10:15 AM

Re: Problems with U-Connect (handsfree)

I do not know how Uconnect works, but some here have had problems with the phone call not disconnecting on their headset. Call will hang on 10 seconds, one poster said he had to double tap the headset to disconnect.

dodgeboy 09-15-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallas contractor (Post 1166871)
I do not know how Uconnect works, but some here have had problems with the phone call not disconnecting on their headset. Call will hang on 10 seconds, one poster said he had to double tap the headset to disconnect.

That's similar to what I'm dealing with (the 10 second hang). This is pretty disappointing, especially if it's happening with both headsets and handsfree connections. I wish they wouldn't mess with things that work just fine in the previous version.

Dave

dallas contractor 09-15-2009 11:20 AM

I wish I understood why they went with Wincomm BT and not Microsoft it was proven to work. Maybe you should contact HTC support.

dodgeboy 09-15-2009 09:50 PM

Is it possible to replace this stack with the MS stack from the Touch Pro?

ssteven365 09-15-2009 10:59 PM

I'm having the same problem in both my Avenger and Journey. Hope this is fixable in some way.

dodgeboy 09-15-2009 11:02 PM

Me too... It is getting more frustrating each time I use it. I also can't get the darn thing to pair with my Jawbone II.

dallastx 09-15-2009 11:03 PM

Yes happens to me on factory bluetooth in 2010 MKZ...I couldn't even hang the phone up it stayed in 1x mode and call connected. I had to make another call and hang up to get the first call to hang up.

JZ* 09-15-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallastx (Post 1168904)
Yes happens to me on factory bluetooth in 2010 MKZ...I couldn't even hang the phone up it stayed in 1x mode and call connected. I had to make another call and hang up to get the first call to hang up.

Wow..guess I should have searched this issue (I know better too)...I jsut had Jawbone send me a replacement Prime for failure to hang up the call! Oh well...guess it will be new!

I too want to know if they can replace the BT Stack...anyone? maybe 6.5?

mdphoenix 09-15-2009 11:18 PM

I can confirm problems as well. I have a Motorola 505 handsfree FM transmitter gizmo. I have to press hang up twice to disconnect a call. It's happened since day one.

lynnpreston 09-16-2009 06:24 AM

I have had all the above issues as well. Unfortunately, I just bought a new $130 Moto HX1 - which is now annoying to use. How does this get past alpha (let alone beta) testing? Are we back in 2003 when Bluetooth was just getting a foothold? Wow.

dodgeboy 09-16-2009 07:30 AM

I sent HTC support a message this morning. I encourage all of you to do the same, so that they know how serious this problem is. Here's a link:

http://www.htc.com/us/CS_Mail.aspx

I don't know if it will be more effective to talk directly to HTC, or go through Sprint.

Dave

dallas contractor 09-16-2009 07:59 AM

I may take a lot of emails, this is what I received last from HTC.
Thank you for your reply. We do test the devices with popular brands such as Motorola and Jawbone. At this time, I suggest deleting the partnership and remaking it on the device. To do this, Slide to the Settings Tab> Tap Communications> Tap Bluetooth> Tap the device name> Tap Menu> Tap Delete. Then Repair the headset with your device. Once the device has repaired with the headset. Then Make sure the services are available. To do this, Tap the device name> Menu> Update. This will bring up the available services. Make sure the ones you want are checked. Then tap done.
If this does not resolve the issue, I recommend performing a hard reset on the device. NOTE: Performing a hard reset will delete all of your personal data from the device. Please back up your data using Microsoft ActiveSync for Windows XP or Windows Mobile Device Center for Windows Vista.
To reset the device, go to: Settings Tab> All Settings> System Tab> Clear Storage. Follow the on screen instructions to complete the reset. Allow the device a few minutes to restart and evaluate the results.
I hope I have answered your questions in detail. Feel free to contact us again if your have any further technical inquiries. We will be more than happy to help you. Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Support.

I do not think they will do anything, I hope I am wrong

dodgeboy 09-16-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssteven365 (Post 1168887)
I'm having the same problem in both my Avenger and Journey. Hope this is fixable in some way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallas contractor (Post 1169695)
I may take a lot of emails, this is what I received last from HTC.
Thank you for your reply. We do test the devices with popular brands such as Motorola and Jawbone. At this time, I suggest deleting the partnership and remaking it on the device. To do this, Slide to the Settings Tab> Tap Communications> Tap Bluetooth> Tap the device name> Tap Menu> Tap Delete. Then Repair the headset with your device. Once the device has repaired with the headset. Then Make sure the services are available. To do this, Tap the device name> Menu> Update. This will bring up the available services. Make sure the ones you want are checked. Then tap done.
If this does not resolve the issue, I recommend performing a hard reset on the device. NOTE: Performing a hard reset will delete all of your personal data from the device. Please back up your data using Microsoft ActiveSync for Windows XP or Windows Mobile Device Center for Windows Vista.
To reset the device, go to: Settings Tab> All Settings> System Tab> Clear Storage. Follow the on screen instructions to complete the reset. Allow the device a few minutes to restart and evaluate the results.
I hope I have answered your questions in detail. Feel free to contact us again if your have any further technical inquiries. We will be more than happy to help you. Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Support.

I do not think they will do anything, I hope I am wrong

I actually had a heck of a time pairing it with my U-Connect, too (error pairing, then it prompted me for a password again, etc.)... I don't hope to go through that process again any time soon. Please let me know if it helps you.

dallas contractor 09-16-2009 08:32 AM

When I first say this problem pop up I stopped in buying until this is fixed .I do not have TP2 yet because this will kill me for BT not to work. I have my ear piece in 12 or more hours a day. I am a Electrical Contractor and can not pull phone out to answer or see who is calling.

mshefke 09-16-2009 08:47 AM

Does anyone have experience with using bluetooth on a Ford vehicle with Sync? Just curious because I had audio problems on the listener side and it didnt' always connect immediately.

lynnpreston 09-16-2009 09:25 AM

I've tried repairing the device and even two hard resets (yes, two hard resets in one day) all to no avail. I urge everyone to submit an email to HTC explaining the problem and that hard resets and re-pairing does not correct the problem.

mdphoenix 09-16-2009 09:48 AM

I don't see this as a total deal breaker. I just need to condition myself to press the hang up button twice. Everything else works as expected, really. No other complaints on my end. I'm certainly sending them an e-mail though. But I don't think this issue warrants not experiencing this fantastic phone.

mdphoenix 09-16-2009 10:03 AM

Message sent to HTC. I explained to them that I'm aware that many others are having a similar problem and while I don't expect them to fix it immediately, I hope that all of us coming to them together will encourage them to research and fix the issue for a new firmware release.

lynnpreston 09-16-2009 11:33 AM

Just for the record, double-tapping the call button on the headset does NOT end the call for me. Most times it doesn't do anything. Sometimes the call will end 10 seconds after I hit the call button.

mdphoenix 09-16-2009 11:43 AM

Well, I guess I have to rephrase. Double-Tapping on my handsfree doesn't work either. I have to press end, wait a second or two, then press it again. It's almost like the phone has to be notified that I'm sending it a command and get ready for it.

dallas contractor 09-16-2009 12:03 PM

I do not see how this was ever tested by HTC as they said in the reply to me. Did they save money by using Wincomm and not Microsoft BT stacks?

mdphoenix 09-16-2009 12:09 PM

It is a mystery....

lynnpreston 09-16-2009 02:21 PM

Response from HTC:
Hello Lynn, Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Support regarding your Verizon HTC Touch Pro 2. I understand how frustrating it can be when your device does not work properly with your Bluetooth headset and would be happy to assist you. Have you tried using another Bluetooth headset? There could be a compatibility issue between the headset you are using and your device. Our devices do not support all Bluetooth headsets. Compatibility alone does not guarantee perfect operation: issues like an unknown PIN code, unusual Bluetooth settings, signal interference, and other factors may still require your attention when using your HTC device with the Bluetooth product. We strongly encourage you to read over the User Manual of both your device and your Bluetooth accessory to fully understand how they are supposed to operate. I do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. You can always find useful information regarding our HTC devices on our self-help user forum at: www.htcwiki.com. In addition, you can find a customer satisfaction survey at: http://survey.htc.com/worldwide/. Thank You, Stephanie HTC Technical Support Team

My reply back:
Hello, First, thank you for the quick reply. I have also tried with a Jawbone 1, Jawbone 2, and a Plantronics Voyager with the same results. I have been using Bluetooth headsets since 2003, and have had HTC devices for the last 3 years (Titan, Touch Pro 1, and now Touch Pro 2), and have never had an issue like this before. This clearly appears to be a problem with the Widcomm Bluetooth stack in the Touch Pro 2 (the previous devices used the Microsoft Bluetooth stack). Any fix you guys can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you.

dallas contractor 09-16-2009 02:44 PM

I did not get anywhere with my complaint on Saturday or Sunday, they are not going to take Responsibility with the wrong drivers they went with, most likely the cost difference. Hoping that they with issue a update to correct the drivers for BT. Side note they never did a update to fix the mistake with incoming calls on TP1

helix139 09-16-2009 03:45 PM

I'm having problems ending calls and getting voice command to initiate with the headset button also. Shutting off my headset (Jawbone Prime) and reconnecting it seems to help the problem. It is most problematic for me when I have the headset already on when I boot the phone and the headset connects during the boot process. I also have noticed it takes significantly longer for the audio channel to open and accept microphone input with voice command than it ever did on my touch pro 1. This Widcomm stack is garbage.

IIRC, the 6600 also had a widcomm stack that was equally bad.

dodgeboy 09-16-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnpreston (Post 1170122)
Just for the record, double-tapping the call button on the headset does NOT end the call for me. Most times it doesn't do anything. Sometimes the call will end 10 seconds after I hit the call button.

It also does not end the call for me. I frequently can't answer the call with a single press, either.

dodgeboy 09-16-2009 03:49 PM

My response from HTC:
I can understand how important it is to be able to connect your Sprint Touch Pro2 to your Bluetooth car kit. I would like to first begin by informing you that our HTC devices do not support all Bluetooth headsets. Compatibility alone does not guarantee perfect operation: issues like an unknown PIN code, unusual Bluetooth settings, signal interference, and other factors may still require your attention when using your HTC device with the Bluetooth product. We strongly encourage you to read over the User Manual of both your device and your Bluetooth accessory to fully understand how they are supposed to operate. I would recommend that you attempt to connect your device to another Bluetooth device to see if you are experiencing the same problems, I have attached a document of the Bluetooth devices we have tested. I would also like to make the recommendation that when you connect your phone to your car kit, that you then slide over to settings tab, select all settings, tap on the connections tab and in here I would like to make sure that the hands free setting is enabled on your phone, you can check this by tapping on the Bluetooth device’s partnership and then making sure that hands free is checked on and saved. I would also recommend trying to tap and hold on the Bluetooth device and setting it as hands free. I want to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced. I want to thank you for contacting HTC. In order to help improve our service I’d like to invite you to take a survey at http://survey.htc.com/worldwide.

What a joke... I'm pretty sure having to press the end button multiple times is not how it is "supposed to work."

mdphoenix 09-16-2009 04:27 PM

I've received no response as of yet. But for the first time I just tried pairing my phone to my laptop and it's not working. At all. Strangely, I can pair my TP to my TP2 and I can pair my TP to my laptop. But not laptop to TP2.

lynnpreston 09-16-2009 09:56 PM

Couldn't a ROM be cooked that includes the MS Bluetooth stack instead of the Widcomm? This is unacceptable, yet I don't get the vibe HTC is going to fix this anytime soon.

I also called VZW data tech support and lodged a complaint. The guy was very nice and wasn't condescending at all (unlike HTC). He understood where I was coming from and said he's pass along the obvious bug we had uncovered. I urge everyone else with this problem to call and email VZW in addition to HTC on this.

nootrak4 09-16-2009 10:24 PM

Yah same here non of the over does anything for me. The call will not end. It really suck specialy if you are speaking to a VIP or on a business call and need to hang up and say something stupid and the other person is still on the line. I will be emailing them from 4 different emails at different time so it doesnt look like is the same person but this really sucks.

I get the feeling we are all F for a while at least until one of the genius on here has the same problem and figures out a way to delete and replace with the MS Stack.

I think everyone is going to keep on getting the same BS reply from HTC. I think the best way to go about this is to complain to your carrier. or again wait until one of this guys here finds out how to remove the Bugged Stack and replace it with MS stack.

mdphoenix 09-17-2009 09:57 AM

Just got the cookie cutter response from them:

New Response From [ Danty (North America Support (Tech)) ]
Hello Michael,

I can understand how frustrating it must be for your HTC Touch Pro2 not to be functioning correctly with your Bluetooth headset. I would first like to inform you that our devices do not support all Bluetooth headsets. Compatibility alone does not guarantee perfect operation: issues like an unknown PIN code, unusual Bluetooth settings, signal interference, and other factors may still require your attention when using your HTC device with the Bluetooth product. We strongly encourage you to read over the User Manual of both your device and your Bluetooth accessory to fully understand how they are supposed to operate. With the new HTC Touch Pro2 the Bluetooth stack was changed from Windows to Broadcom. This could be what is causing the compatibility issues you are experiencing. I want to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced. I want to thank you for contacting HTC. In order to help improve our service I’d like to invite you to take a survey at http://survey.htc.com/worldwide.

HTC Technical Support
http://www.htc.com
http://www.htcwiki.com

I'm going to respond and it's not going to be very nice. We all need to band together and keep on them about this.

I'm on hold with Verizon right now to lodge a polite complaint.

- On a side note - Oh goody. VZW has added "Please speak in your own words, what is wrong with your phone". Yay.

lynnpreston 09-17-2009 09:59 AM

After I replied back to HTC explaining that I'm not an idiot, and I believe it's a problem with the Widcomm stack, this is the reply I got - actually encouraging:

Hello Lynn,

Thank you for your response detailing what you have tried with your Verizon Touch Pro 2. I appreciate this information.

I know how important it is to resolve this issue, and would like to assist you further. I want to make sure that I have all the facts I need to escalate this to our engineers.

I you will please go to your Bluetooth settings, tap the middle tab to see your device list. Select your current headset, the Motorola, and expand the list of services associated with that list. Please notice what services are listed with your headset. Then tap Menu > Update, and this will see if there are any different Bluetooth profiles that can be shared with your headset. Please let me know if there is any difference after this step.

With your information, I will push to see what software fixes we will be able to create for this Bluetooth response time.

mdphoenix 09-17-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnpreston (Post 1172868)
After I replied back to HTC explaining that I'm not an idiot, and I believe it's a problem with the Widcomm stack, this is the reply I got - actually encouraging:

Hello Lynn,

Thank you for your response detailing what you have tried with your Verizon Touch Pro 2. I appreciate this information.

I know how important it is to resolve this issue, and would like to assist you further. I want to make sure that I have all the facts I need to escalate this to our engineers.

I you will please go to your Bluetooth settings, tap the middle tab to see your device list. Select your current headset, the Motorola, and expand the list of services associated with that list. Please notice what services are listed with your headset. Then tap Menu > Update, and this will see if there are any different Bluetooth profiles that can be shared with your headset. Please let me know if there is any difference after this step.

With your information, I will push to see what software fixes we will be able to create for this Bluetooth response time.

That - to me - is incredibly good news. I'll be getting back to them as soon as I get off the phone with VZW. Keep up the good work guys. We'll get this fixed.

mdphoenix 09-17-2009 10:27 AM

Verizon just told me I need to go into a store. They don't take product complaints on the phone. Most issues start at the store level with the technicians, and then are escalated to Verizon then to the manufacturer. Sounds like horse crap to me.

lynnpreston 09-17-2009 10:37 AM

My third response from HTC:

Hello Lynn,

Thank you very much for your response. I will contact our headquarters regarding the response time with your headsets. They will advise me with which steps to take next to address this issue.

I hope that we have addressed your question in detail. I will contact you again when I have the steps to take to collect data from your phone.
Thank you,
Ryan
HTC Technical Support

Regarding VZW product complaints - did you talk to data tech support? They took my complaint.

mdphoenix 09-17-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnpreston (Post 1172974)
My third response from HTC:

Hello Lynn,

Thank you very much for your response. I will contact our headquarters regarding the response time with your headsets. They will advise me with which steps to take next to address this issue.

I hope that we have addressed your question in detail. I will contact you again when I have the steps to take to collect data from your phone.
Thank you,
Ryan
HTC Technical Support

Regarding VZW product complaints - did you talk to data tech support? They took my complaint.

That's outstanding news.

Re: VZW - I spoke with the front line of defense they have before you actually get to Tech Support. I explained to her that I simply wanted to lodge a complaint and not go through any troubleshooting as I had already done plenty. She put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back and told me what I had posted earlier. I'll try again in a bit. I should probably actually do some work at some point today.

mdphoenix 09-17-2009 03:14 PM

Good news on this end!

Just spoke with Verizon Wireless Tech Support. The level one support tech put me on hold after listening to my issue. He came back and said that he spoke with the techs and they have acknowledged an issue with bluetooth handsfree devices on the TP2. He said they have contacted UT Starcom (I guess he meant HTC - wasn't it UT/Audiovox?) - anyway, they have contacted the manufacturer and are working on a fix. He said we can expect a fix as soon as they get a handle on the problem.

helix139 09-17-2009 03:43 PM

Those of you calling in might want to also mention that our Widcomm stack will not work with Visual Voicemail also.

dallas contractor 09-17-2009 04:03 PM

Was the same reply on the TP1 and incoming calls? Never fixed. Lynn also sent same reponce to me last Saturday and Sunday