PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   How's your battery life so far? Let's discuss ways to prolong battery life... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=83753)

8notime 09-04-2009 10:01 PM

Re: Conditioning your batteries for max life

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetBearCub (Post 1140231)
One big one being Battery University) is below.

Great link. Thanks for sharing!

SweetBearCub 09-04-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKS06460 (Post 1141373)
These cyber shouting matches are foolish.
Did I drop into an AOL chatroom by mistake ?

No shouting intended on my part. I'm just trying to help folks with a very likely common question, especially on such an expensive phone.

SweetBearCub 09-04-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8notime (Post 1141395)
Great link. Thanks for sharing!

No problem, enjoy it in good (battery) health. :-)

ajac 09-05-2009 01:32 AM

ummm lithium ions do not have a memory effect thus dont need to be conditioned... and by charging and recharging them your damaging them more by the constant use.

SweetBearCub 09-05-2009 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajac (Post 1141741)
ummm lithium ions do not have a memory effect thus dont need to be conditioned... and by charging and recharging them your damaging them more by the constant use.

I know that, and that is precisely what I hoped to explain with this thread. It's amazing how many people still completely believe in running them dead, charging for 12 hours initially, etc..

ajac 09-05-2009 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetBearCub (Post 1141757)
I know that, and that is precisely what I hoped to explain with this thread. It's amazing how many people still completely believe in running them dead, charging for 12 hours initially, etc..

yeah but good luck making anyone believe. Oh well they can damage their batteries all they want

GoodThings2Life 09-05-2009 07:09 PM

My goodness people, simmahdownnah! No point becoming hostile towards each other for trying to help.

The interpretation of the whole mess is very confusing to people, but it's very simple and can be summed up simply:

They aren't prone to the conditioning issues of older Nickle batteries, so it means that you do NOT need to drain it fully, frequently before trying to charge it up again (though doing so on occasion is not a bad thing either). Why? It is better to do partial charges BECAUSE you get approximately 400-500 FULL CHARGES before the battery cells begin to deteriorate (so 1000 partial charges is better compared to 500 full charges). Also, and keeping it on the charger will not hurt it, but extreme heat will hurt it, so if you do experience overheating, have the phone or battery replaced.

Bottom line: your battery life expectancy is based on the number of full charges, and there is no way around this fact, it is just the way the technology works. My advice: fully discharging once a day will give you ~1.5-2 years of life, so most people won't even need to worry about it unless they're doing full charges multiple times per day.

EDIT: There is, however, one major caveat to this technology, however. ALL Li-Ion batteries, no matter how they're used, begin to deteriorate from day one of manufacturing, and they do so at a rate of approx. 10-20% per year. So, by doing 1 full charge every day, you'll still lose enough life that it may become annoying during your 2nd year with a device.

The Sapient 09-05-2009 07:17 PM

Can I use the same car charger for this device that I used for my Mogul?

GoodThings2Life 09-05-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sapient (Post 1143022)
Can I use the same car charger for this device that I used for my Mogul?

Car chargers will work just fine, yes. However, most of them do trickle charging, so don't expect it to be as quick as a wall outlet. I've seen this on my own Touch Pro as well as the Palm Pre and Palm Treo devices some of my coworkers have.

coolguy949 09-05-2009 08:25 PM

Re: Touch Pro 2 charging issues?

This is the only thing holding me back from getting the TP2. However, I think we will need to wait until CDMA users can chime in. GSM phones don't run as hot as CDMA.

I would love to be able to tether or use the wifi router function without having the phone overheat and shut down the charger. I can't get more than 20 mins out of my TP without overheating. Sprint has such a fast data connection it's like a tease that you can't use it for more than 20 mins without seriously killing the battery.