PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   HTC Touch Pro 2...4G capable??? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=80552)

proxcee 08-22-2009 12:29 PM

HTC Touch Pro 2...4G capable???

Hope this isnt a duplicate thread but I've searched and come up with nothing. Can anyone confirm if the Touch Pro 2 is 4G capable? I'm on the fence about getting one.

gutrrob 08-22-2009 12:35 PM

Re: HTC Touch Pro 2...4G capable???

Its not 4G capable

boredandtattooed 08-22-2009 12:55 PM

4g = WiMax and LTE

--------------------------funny articles---------

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/53271.html from 2006... wtf? a wimax device before theres even wimax???

http://www.htc.com/www/product/max4g/overview.html isnt this the only wimax device around really??

it is rumored that sprint is working on a samsung android device that will support WiMax...

BenC 08-22-2009 01:30 PM

As much as I do not use the device for surfing or noise listening, 4G is not that important to me. If it can handle email type downloads efficiently then I am ok.

-Sin- 08-22-2009 10:44 PM

man i am WEAYYYYYY behind, in this smart phone business, i never owned a 2g, or even a 3g phone, and their about to bring out 4g!!!! what man thats INSANE!

8notime 08-22-2009 10:48 PM

Even if it did support 4G, the bottleneck would then be the processor.

gTen 08-23-2009 03:20 AM

The processor would not be the bottleneck even if it is outdated. If you mean video streaming, thats the work of missing drivers >.>, you'd be surprised how TP2 would fly if it had full 2d and 3d drivers.

boredandtattooed 08-23-2009 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Sin- (Post 1116674)
man i am WEAYYYYYY behind, in this smart phone business, i never owned a 2g, or even a 3g phone, and their about to bring out 4g!!!! what man thats INSANE!

u sure about that, a TP,mogul, just about anything on this site is 3g... and sprint has been making 3g devices for YRS...

8notime 08-23-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1117052)
The processor would not be the bottleneck even if it is outdated. If you mean video streaming, thats the work of missing drivers >.>, you'd be surprised how TP2 would fly if it had full 2d and 3d drivers.

I'm talking about the time it takes to load/render pages in both Opera and PIE. Even when I'm on WiFi it seems like the amount of time it takes to load pages is insignificantly faster.

ls3mach 08-23-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8notime (Post 1117378)
I'm talking about the time it takes to load/render pages in both Opera and PIE. Even when I'm on WiFi it seems like the amount of time it takes to load pages is insignificantly faster.

Wifi has never made my phone browsing experience faster. It is however useful for making hotspots and when 3G isn't around. Not sure what the bottleneck is, I would probably not say processor as my phone gets great Internet speeds when tethered. I would guess it has something to do with GPU and rendering.

gTen 08-23-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8notime (Post 1117378)

Well first of all your on a TP, so my guess is you don't have 2d and 3d drivers installed. The difference you would see would be huge.

Also, opera and PIE do a lot of "extra" work trying to optimize pages that are meant for a desktop resolution to your cellphone to zoom in and out and etc.

Lastly, your phone whether wifi or signal has overhead and when dealing with 5000 redirects with these ajax and 50 banners on a page.

If you notice, your browser tries to load all these before displaying it to you, this contributes to the lag you are seeing.

8notime 08-23-2009 08:08 PM

All of the points you just made - which are all valid - have nothing to do with the network, which is why I'm saying a 4G connection wouldn't make that much of a difference on either phone (I have the TP & TP2). To see signifigant speed improvements, everything you pointed out plus a faster processor and more memory would be necessary. Just ask any iPhone 3GS owner.

tokuzumi 08-24-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1117117)
u sure about that, a TP,mogul, just about anything on this site is 3g... and sprint has been making 3g devices for YRS...

I think the point he was trying to make is he's never owned a 3g phone.

gTen 08-24-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8notime (Post 1118061)
All of the points you just made - which are all valid - have nothing to do with the network, which is why I'm saying a 4G connection wouldn't make that much of a difference on either phone (I have the TP & TP2). To see signifigant speed improvements, everything you pointed out plus a faster processor and more memory would be necessary. Just ask any iPhone 3GS owner.

It makes a difference if you want to do video streaming/voip/gaming or any other application.

As far as web surfing, it may not make much difference unless 4g gives lower latency.

-Sin- 08-24-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokuzumi (Post 1118851)
I think the point he was trying to make is he's never owned a 3g phone.

+1 :evil4:

blokow 02-09-2010 01:31 PM

it is now.

http://www.nextel.com/en/solutions/m...dband_4G.shtml

jamice4u 05-15-2010 02:45 PM

Does the touch pro 2 have the ability to do WiMax so you can talk and surf the internet at the same time.

boredandtattooed 05-15-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamice4u (Post 1754579)
Does the touch pro 2 have the ability to do WiMax so you can talk and surf the internet at the same time.

absolutely NOT.. sorry to give ya the bad news

the sprint touch pro 2 does however have a reg entry for wimax, but its blank..

gTen 05-15-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamice4u (Post 1754579)

If you buy an overdrive and use wifi on the TP2 to connect to the overdrive for 4G >.> lol

aman1127 05-16-2010 12:14 AM

That reminds me, my area is getting 4g in a few months, will an AIRAVE support both 3g and 4g? The reps told me it will but you know......

gTen 05-16-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aman1127 (Post 1755371)
That reminds me, my area is getting 4g in a few months, will an AIRAVE support both 3g and 4g? The reps told me it will but you know......

If i remember correctly the newest one in 2010 only adds EVDO and landline VOIP..thats pretty much it. While Airvana the manufacturer of them is licensed for wimax and did demo it's wimax solution there was no mention of wimax in the FCC filing.

coppermine18 05-16-2010 02:25 AM

The Touch Pro 2/Tilt 2, Touch Pro, Cingular 8125 etc all based off a chipset that updated but not really in speed. The phones have grown more in features than processing power until now.

The working memory the phone have is limited with its mobile apps. Full featured desktop programs use more memory then the phone has by a long shot. The processor is not like a desktop processor in its full extent nor the bus speeds and do provide a large bottleneck. A good portion of this is Battery life and heat.

Now the technology and demand are hitting the market you got the iPhone 3GS, the Snapdragon processor in some phones and soon the nVidia Tegra in combination with ARM which will destroy all mobile phone processing on the market to date. As processors got faster and hotter the architechture changes so that instead of straight MHz increases they increased the IPC (Instructions per clock) to do more work with less power as the silicon die sizes got smaller as well as using multiple cores. Now they have multiple core cpus doing loads of instruction at half their TJMax which is the rated heat before the cpu is damaged. The nVidia Tegra has 12 cores...! It does the whole 9 yards and leave the ARM for processing the basic stuff.

I love WM but Ive faced the fact it hasnt been designed as a play phone and a business phone. Limited texts before it bogs, simple web browsing no awesome use we would live to have and a bagillion 3rd party apps that the phone can barely handle outside itself.

So these phones are great business tools and more but pushed to the extent of a mobile powerhouse the wall wont go down, the wifi will always be rather slow, the pages will render the same speed because the mobile browser has a lot of parsing to do so that the page is viable memory wise etc.

I have owned every one of these since a slideout keyboard was introduced and each has had a bit faster data, nicer features etc but in the end just wasnt built for as much as I or others here would like.

The 4G phones will be awesome with more processing power but I am going to wait to see a full market of them first. I also would prefer to have a phone with Tegra... If you have played with a Zune HD, that is what powers it.

Just my 2 cents. WM phones have done all I ever wanted as well as frustrate me and teach me patience sometimes. lol. Looking forward to the new hardware changes!

coppermine18 05-16-2010 02:30 AM

PS... . I just typed that on my phone with Opera 10 and previous versions would have taken a &^% on me. Very few annoyances typing that. .lol

jamice4u 05-16-2010 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1754615)
absolutely NOT.. sorry to give ya the bad news

the sprint touch pro 2 does however have a reg entry for wimax, but its blank..

Can somebody find out what the reg entry is to enable wimax. I believe the Samsung Mondi was a wifi enabled phone can somebody find out what the reg entry for the wimax on that phone is? I don't care about the extra speed I just want the ability to talk and surf the internet at the same time.

boredandtattooed 05-16-2010 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamice4u (Post 1755537)
Can somebody find out what the reg entry is to enable wimax. I believe the Samsung Mondi was a wifi enabled phone can somebody find out what the reg entry for the wimax on that phone is? I don't care about the extra speed I just want the ability to talk and surf the internet at the same time.

HKLM\software\OEM\WiMaxModem

but theres nothing there after that.. i tried adding entries even though i knew it couldnt possible be that simple.. but nothing... i dont live in 4G anyways, so i wouldnt even be able to tell if the wimax modem was running id think..

gTen 05-16-2010 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamice4u (Post 1755537)

My guess is it is a generic entry. The wimax entry is just included in the rom since they released HTC MAX 4G which was a wimax phone..there is no FCC info or tear down info of a wimax radio.

coppermine18 05-16-2010 03:49 AM

I am unaware of how the telephony works on the network so let me ask a couple of things...

Is it basically VoIP with Sprint atm?
Is it the same with ATT, however they are gsm?

I would imagine that if ATT is capable of data + Voice and I unlocked my phone and have used on their network but tried voice only that it would do data + voice.

So would it not only be a registry entry but also radio firmware and network configuration issue? Kind of like data and voice being on different ports and limiting access?

That is probably completely and udderly wrong but Id imaging only with a radio firmware update and config changes with Sprint to a consumer end would enable it on the 3G network. No WiMax.

Hopefully someone knows... Pretty interesting.

gTen 05-16-2010 03:57 AM

What you are asking is a bit vague but I will try to answer it to my interpretation of your question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coppermine18 (Post 1755578)
Is it basically VoIP with Sprint atm?

Sprint uses a standard called CDMA which unlike gsm uses ESN numbers embedded into the device itself for identification

Quote:

Is it the same with ATT, however they are gsm?
AT&T can do voice and data at same time because GSM allows it in the specifications.

Quote:

So would it not only be a registry entry but also radio firmware and network configuration issue? Kind of like data and voice being on different ports and limiting access?
It will not work due to the specifications of CDMA.. imagine trying to putting a square in a triangle socket. Later revisions of CDMA do allow voice + data but sprint will most likely not bother updating to that spec..Europe also has WCDMA which uses similar to sim cards but cdma but USA carriers have no interest in it either.

boredandtattooed 05-16-2010 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1755564)
My guess is it is a generic entry. The wimax entry is just included in the rom since they released HTC MAX 4G which was a wimax phone..there is no FCC info or tear down info of a wimax radio.

thats how i figured it, well not cuz of those HTC Max though.. but yeah, know it prob didnt have the radio support

did some research.. HTC Max was around Nov. 08 in Russia (and apparently recently in the UK now).. TP1 was around same time wasnt it.. i have a TP1 with 6.1 on it and another TP1 with 6.1 MR update and one more with NRGY 6.5 on it... none of those have a generic entry.. only one i guess that would maybe of had it, wouldve been the MR update one since thats a newer release than the TP1s original shipped ROM..

i knew it was nothing, but he asked for the entry so i told him LOL

aman1127 05-17-2010 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1755450)
If i remember correctly the newest one in 2010 only adds EVDO and landline VOIP..thats pretty much it. While Airvana the manufacturer of them is licensed for wimax and did demo it's wimax solution there was no mention of wimax in the FCC filing.

Thanks a lot. Going back on that subject real quick, the site has this:

Low-cost Upgrade
EV-DO Rev A base station channel cards can be easily upgraded to Rev B, thereby protecting an operator’s Rev A hardware investment. In some cases, the entire upgrade to Rev B can be achieved without adding any new hardware. Existing base station channel cards and Radio Network Controllers (RNCs) can be upgraded in software, and base station radio transceivers in existing radio modules can be activated to support the new carriers. RNCs, such as those from Airvana that can be clustered using IP RAN technology, can meet the increased capacity needs of Rev B without introducing new EV-DO subnet boundaries. No changes are required to operators’ Packet Data Service Nodes (PDSNs), Home Agents (HAs), or other core network elements.

Backward Compatibility
Rev B carriers will continue to support older Rel 0 and Rev A devices. In addition, new Rev B handsets will continue to receive uninterrupted service from Rel 0 and Rev A networks. This will allow operators to roll out Rev B as needed in critical, high density and high performance markets supporting subscribers with high data ARPU.

So it should support 4g with a simple firmware upgrade. Thanks for the help!

gTen 05-17-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aman1127 (Post 1756945)
Thanks a lot. Going back on that subject real quick, the site has this:

Low-cost Upgrade
EV-DO Rev A base station channel cards can be easily upgraded to Rev B, thereby protecting an operator’s Rev A hardware investment. In some cases, the entire upgrade to Rev B can be achieved without adding any new hardware. Existing base station channel cards and Radio Network Controllers (RNCs) can be upgraded in software, and base station radio transceivers in existing radio modules can be activated to support the new carriers. RNCs, such as those from Airvana that can be clustered using IP RAN technology, can meet the increased capacity needs of Rev B without introducing new EV-DO subnet boundaries. No changes are required to operators’ Packet Data Service Nodes (PDSNs), Home Agents (HAs), or other core network elements.

Backward Compatibility
Rev B carriers will continue to support older Rel 0 and Rev A devices. In addition, new Rev B handsets will continue to receive uninterrupted service from Rel 0 and Rev A networks. This will allow operators to roll out Rev B as needed in critical, high density and high performance markets supporting subscribers with high data ARPU.

So it should support 4g with a simple firmware upgrade. Thanks for the help!

Sprint chose to go Wimax for 4G instead of EVDO Rev B they are skipping Rev B

aman1127 05-17-2010 01:46 AM

I got too excited....damn thieves.....I only need it because I have only 1x in my house. And they want me to pay $5 more to fix their shitty coverage!

gTen 05-17-2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aman1127 (Post 1756962)
I got too excited....damn thieves.....I only need it because I have only 1x in my house. And they want me to pay $5 more to fix their shitty coverage!

Sometimes you can convince sprint to give it to you the airwave free..many did it through retentions.

aman1127 05-17-2010 02:14 AM

whats retentions? I've done some miracles with sprint but I dunno about a free booster. Tell me who to speak to and I will get it!

mplsfalls1973 05-17-2010 07:01 AM

To get a free airave is very simple:

When you get on the phone with customer solutions tell them you have poor service in your home. The operator I spoke with looked on the map and saw that my service was alright, but not great and offered to ship a unit to my home for free without extending the contract.

nrfitchett4 05-17-2010 08:37 AM

how do you figure it will support wimax??? it isn't evdo, but a different technology....

aman1127 05-19-2010 09:57 PM

I saw the manufacturer site states that the software is upgradeable to higher bandwidth connections. But it is sprint after all.........

bdurst08 05-19-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Sin- (Post 1116674)

if you are using a TP2 you have a 3g phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1117117)

yeah what he said. =D>

Quote:

Originally Posted by aman1127 (Post 1756962)

I had the same issue. I had an apartmnet where i got no coverage inside, but had perfect coverage outside. You do need to call retentions. They are the ones that have the power to hook u up with an airrave. I personally have 3 phones on my account and told them that I need service in my house since I work at home and would consider moving my account if there was nothing they could do. I then mentioned the airrave and asked about that. Sometimes the biggest thing is to threaten to leave Sprint, even if you dont plan on it. Since they have been bleeding customers so much they are more likey to do something like that if you threaten to leave.
Needless to say that they sent me an airrave for free ($100 value) and they credit my account the $5 every month. the only thing that i had to do was extend my contract for a year. which is not a big deal since i usually get a new phone every year anyway.

Hope this helps! It defintely worked for me.:mrgreen:

lickarock 06-06-2010 01:45 AM

The wimax chip is different from the evdo chip. There is no way you could make the tp2 4g capable without cracking your phone open and swapping chips out. sorry.

Wesley762 06-06-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lickarock (Post 1795744)
The wimax chip is different from the evdo chip. There is no way you could make the tp2 4g capable without cracking your phone open and swapping chips out. sorry.

Don't put a crazy idea like that in there head, I predict doorstops in the future with people trying to physically swap chips lol.