PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   How To: Configure GPS (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78592)

pelermon 09-29-2009 07:55 AM

Re: How To: Configure GPS

Dam
I could not get that tracker.cab to work on my STP2

Quote:

Originally Posted by headshokfatty (Post 1199696)
I have Sprint TP2 and my GPS is immediate as well (stock gps with no regedits). After softreset google maps takes about 20 seconds to lock, then its instant from then on.
I did try a few different tracking programs, and VisualGPSCE seemed to cause a com port issue (it has to get direct access instead of using the windows driver), and then I'd get gps issues where it wouldnt lock and use cell towers, but soft-reset fixes that. I've since removed VisualGPSCE and now I use tracker.cab (found on xda) to save my bike rides with no issues and great accuracy.

volock 09-30-2009 05:13 PM

I don't quite understand. Given I have no GPS problems, and haven't had a need to change the settings what added features come from the registry files?

dgourd 10-01-2009 05:06 PM

Just to let people know:

I have a Verizon TP2 and the GPS works fine. What I did was go to All Settings -> Phone -> CDMA Services -> Location Setting and turned Location On.
Then, Go to All Settings -> System -> External GPS
Change COM port to COM9. Then go to the Hardware Tab and change GPS Hardware port to None, and Baud rate to 4800. Turn Manage GPS automatically on in the Access tab.
Run QuickGPS and download info, then open Google Maps (Thats the app I use since I think it is the best) and go to Menu -> and select Use GPS. Then go to Menu -> Options -> GPS Settings. Change to Set manualy and set to COM9 and 4800. And press OK. It doesn't work indoors, but in a car I got 9 satellites immediately.

abuttino 10-01-2009 10:35 PM

Can you use the Telus settings for VZW like the Titan?

csper 10-02-2009 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgourd (Post 1207645)
Just to let people know:

I have a Verizon TP2 and the GPS works fine. What I did was go to All Settings -> Phone -> CDMA Services -> Location Setting and turned Location On.
Then, Go to All Settings -> System -> External GPS
Change COM port to COM9. Then go to the Hardware Tab and change GPS Hardware port to None, and Baud rate to 4800. Turn Manage GPS automatically on in the Access tab.
Run QuickGPS and download info, then open Google Maps (Thats the app I use since I think it is the best) and go to Menu -> and select Use GPS. Then go to Menu -> Options -> GPS Settings. Change to Set manualy and set to COM9 and 4800. And press OK. It doesn't work indoors, but in a car I got 9 satellites immediately.

At this point I'm thinking of returning/exchanging my phone. I can't figure out why there would be much variability in the GPS capability (bad RF connection, maybe bad solder joint), but I can't get a lock in under 2 minutes. Most time it takes more than that. QuickGPS makes no difference and neither do AGPS settings. That's too long to get a lock to really be a useful tool.

Herbal954 10-02-2009 11:39 PM

ive seen about 5 VZW TP2's all which get GPS locks within 20 seconds

tmac15 10-04-2009 02:47 AM

I still dont get more than 7 satellites, and now when I start Google Maps sometimes I have to wait a couple minutes to get <5 satellites. Seemed quicker as stock to me so I might go back as I dont want to mess things up following the rest of the post.

Herbal954 10-04-2009 07:52 AM

i get about 9 sattelites locked on average

pdawg17 10-04-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volock (Post 1205016)
I don't quite understand. Given I have no GPS problems, and haven't had a need to change the settings what added features come from the registry files?

I'd like to know this too...is there any added benefit to using the cab (power savings, etc)?

DarkLord 10-11-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdawg17 (Post 1213115)
I'd like to know this too...is there any added benefit to using the cab (power savings, etc)?

me too. i'm getting a TP2 as a replacement for my TP in a few days and i didn't know any GPS problems existed. now i'm wondering if i made a mistake when i chose the TP2 as a replacement

ivwonka 10-11-2009 04:28 PM

dont worry about it. u will love your new phone. gps works fine out of the box (sprint anyways). i think people just try to tweak the settings to make it better. ie lock faster, more satellites, more accurate, faster updates

tmarks11 10-12-2009 09:45 AM

I have a VZW TP2. Like most other people, google maps instantly locked onto my GPS when I first loaded it. Cool.

so here is a good one...

I decided to load an OLD copy of iGuidance v2.1.3 that I used with my HTC6600 (yeah, from 2005). The program loads and runs just fine. I couldn't get it to synch with my GPS.

And then I noticed that google maps won't synch with GPS anymore. Neither will LiveSearch.

I poured over this thread, figured out how to do the use QPST for GPSOne updates. Maybe obvious to everyone here, but it took me a few hours to discover that the MSL/SPC for VZW phones is always 000000 (getSPC gives you a garbage number). Updated to match the ALLTELL profile. Still didn't work.

Then I found the HTC GPS Tool. It wouldn't open the COM port. Very useful for troubleshooting, btw.

I was starting to think my GPS died and considering talking to VZW about it.

Very frustrating. So I did a hard reset, and loading the HTC GPS tool first. Bang, locked on satellites right away (even in my house). So then I reloaded all the programs onto the TP2, checking the GPS with the HTC GPS Tool after each load.

It worked great until I loaded iGuidance. Now, nothing. I soft reset. Nothing. I uninstalled iGuidance. Still no GPS.

I am guessing the WM2003 program did some registry changes that are killing GPS. Any ideas?

neodarksaver 10-12-2009 12:44 PM

i like this post :D

Jmz 10-12-2009 01:15 PM

I have followed all the steps outlined here and still have off and on GPS while my wife's tp2 works without any tricks or reg edits. Kinda wierd. Even fresh after a hard reset it works sporadically.

Little Abner 10-18-2009 03:26 PM

I believe that all of our TP2 are equal and should lock in the same manner if we were all on the same network. We have some variances with the VZ owned networks that we are on though. Correct me if I am wrong, but the people that are claiming instant locks are Heritage VZW and those of us having issues were purchased from VZW and are still running on the Alltel network with a hybrid PRL. My PRL is 30046, PRI 1.65_003. I am getting cell based locks, no GPS locks and also have issues with VZ Nav launching. I get an error “There was a problem initializing the GPS. Please exit and restart VZ Navigator.” No luck after a restart. Do Heritage VZ TP2’s have different PRL than mine? Would anyone suggest me running the Alltel fix since I am still on the VZ owned Alltel network? According to my VZW buddies at the store, us former Alltel customers have only been migrated in to their billing system and the networks have not been completely integrated.

csper 10-19-2009 09:38 PM

Jmz and Little Abner, have you gotten anywhere with your TP2 GPS issues? Mine is still spotty at best (sometimes not getting locks at all now). I've been extremely busy with work missed my 30 day window. I would exchange the phone over this, hoping it's just a quality issue, but I don't want a refurb. Before I go down that route, just hoping you made some progress.

Little Abner 10-20-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csper (Post 1247242)
Jmz and Little Abner, have you gotten anywhere with your TP2 GPS issues? Mine is still spotty at best (sometimes not getting locks at all now). I've been extremely busy with work missed my 30 day window. I would exchange the phone over this, hoping it's just a quality issue, but I don't want a refurb. Before I go down that route, just hoping you made some progress.

No luck yet, I went ahead an loaded the alltel cab, no QPST though. To tell you the truth, I have not put much time in to it....really awaiting 6.5 before making major mods. PM me if you have any luck, I will do the same.

GPS WORKING NOW!!
In the Upgrade section you can find Con's Shipped VZW ROM, I installed that and have had flawlessly quick GPS locks! I have tested this for 5 days now. The PRL is different, maybe the RADIO? Not sure, you will have to ask the experts.... but I am happy about this!! =)

Edanco55 11-12-2009 12:25 AM

Hey guys where can i get Tomtom 7. I have Tomtom 6 but it does not work on my Sprint HTC pro 2. Thank you

DaBrode 11-18-2009 01:56 AM

So...

This seems to have hosed my GPS all together. It was working ine previously and damn me for tinkering but now it's a mess.

First problem, the instructions on page 1 went fine up until retreiving the SPC. My ESN is in hex and the tool provided does not seem to be providing me with the correct SPC according to my ESN. No idea what I'm doing wrong. I used the correct case and have checked for typos so many times my eyes are buggin'.

Has anyone had a problem getting their SPC of the ESN?

----------------

Yeah I can't figure this out. The SPC I'm given off the provided tool off the hex ESN found in the application is not accepted. I just get an error that it's incorrect and that the device will not accept new entries for 10 seconds. The gpsOne tab therefore is not able to be edited.

DaBrode 11-20-2009 01:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I located the MLS as I've discovered is the same thing ;)

I ran through everything up until writing to the phone where I received this...

Any thoughts?

DeputyStankus 05-18-2010 02:12 AM

So...is this about getting free GPS on my phone? Sorry for the noob question, but...I'm a noob.