PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Magnet in case turns LCD on (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78494)

junkiee 08-08-2009 01:38 PM

Magnet in case turns LCD on

hey guys, just picked up a case for my TP2, a belt varient with a magnetic flap on it... anyone else with one of these notice that the magnet turns the display on? even swiping the device over the magnet outside of the case turns the display on... that's annoying. ](*,)

boredandtattooed 08-08-2009 02:24 PM

Re: Magnet in case turns LCD on

why on earth would u buy a magnetic case???

dont u know magnets screen interference??? leave your TV next to your speakers for a few weeks, itll turn purple down in the corners....

your gonna ruin your phone slowly with that magnetic case

redd214 08-08-2009 02:42 PM

the stylus on the original tp was magnetic, why does that not mess up the screen?

Table83 08-08-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1089142)

dont u know magnets screen interference??? leave your TV next to your speakers for a few weeks, itll turn purple down in the corners....

This is not neccesarily true. The touch pro 2 is running a TFT-LCD. This is completely different from a traditional CRT and should not be affected by a magnet.

I prefer magnet cases and have used them with my Touch and Touch Pro with no problems. They probably have some new magnet sensors that cause the screen to wake. Sad to hear.

pbeaul 08-08-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkiee (Post 1089068)
hey guys, just picked up a case for my TP2, a belt varient with a magnetic flap on it... anyone else with one of these notice that the magnet turns the display on? even swiping the device over the magnet outside of the case turns the display on... that's annoying. ](*,)

Whoa, I heard the Telus guy say that in the store but I thought he was just BS'ing. But if you pass the magnet towards the lower part of the phone new that talk/Windows/back/end keys the screen will turn on and automatically unlock itself... Interesting.

pbeaul 08-08-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

100% wrong. Completely different technologies.

MightyMike 08-08-2009 04:41 PM

I've been using magnetic cases forever and absolutely love them.

How can you not like sliding out your phone and your screen automatically turning on for you?

Im stoked that HTC finally put this feature on the phone. Clearly your pulling your phone outta your case to look at it, why have to press the wake up button when it will do it automatically for you?

Wake up on slide out feature = WIN

junkiee 08-08-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightymike (Post 1089336)

How can you not like sliding out your phone and your screen automatically turning on for you?

Im stoked that HTC finally put this feature on the phone. Clearly your pulling your phone outta your case to look at it, why have to press the wake up button when it will do it automatically for you?

my issue is the "wake on slide in" feature that I'm not too keen on...

junkiee 08-08-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

LCD and CRT are 2 different things, and aside from that, shielded magnets can be beside CRT screens, hence the reason pc speakers won't affect a CRT monitor if they are shielded...

unclutchable 08-08-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Magnets affect CRT screens. When's the last time your phone had a CRT screen? They're all TFT LCD screens, magnets don't affect them. Are you stuck in 1990?

Blackberry's have a magnet built into their leather cases that actually turn off the screen when you put the phone in it.

MightyMike 08-08-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkiee (Post 1089377)
my issue is the "wake on slide in" feature that I'm not too keen on...

That I would agree with you as well, although I have already gotten the hang of sliding the phone in then pressing the sleep button...

junkiee 08-08-2009 07:56 PM

ok so it meems to be linked to the keyboard sensor, because I put the device lock back on, (which didn't lock the phone when you slid the KB out from sleep) and the device lock doesn't turn on when you pull the phone out of the case.

does anyone know of a way to basically disable that? so when the KB is slid out the phone doesn't turn on; that should eliminate the issue of it turning itself on when you put in in the case, or take it out...

thanks,

boredandtattooed 08-08-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Table83 (Post 1089214)
This is not neccesarily true. The touch pro 2 is running a TFT-LCD. This is completely different from a traditional CRT and should not be affected by a magnet.

thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbeaul (Post 1089307)
100% wrong. Completely different technologies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkiee (Post 1089381)
LCD and CRT are 2 different things, and aside from that, shielded magnets can be beside CRT screens, hence the reason pc speakers won't affect a CRT monitor if they are shielded...

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclutchable (Post 1089387)
Magnets affect CRT screens. When's the last time your phone had a CRT screen? They're all TFT LCD screens, magnets don't affect them. Are you stuck in 1990?

do you 3 actually read enitre threads or no?? but thanks for the repeat answers..

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightymike (Post 1089336)

i dont know what your using since your MightyMike and all(no sarcasm intended), but sliding the keyboard to wake the device is standard

junkiee 08-08-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1089622)
i dont know what your using since your MightyMike and all(no sarcasm intended), but sliding the keyboard to wake the device is standard

Sliding the keyboard open (to expose it) and sliding the whole phone out of a leather case, are 2 different things.

boredandtattooed 08-08-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkiee (Post 1089625)
Sliding the keyboard open (to expose it) and sliding the whole phone out of a leather case, are 2 different things.

gotcha, just misunderstood i guess... i can understand on the TP2, its new.. but mikes on a TP, how can the magnet wake the device?? im stoned and just ran a magnet all around my TP and it doesnt wake up, so i dont see how the magnet from a case could..

themuffinman 08-08-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1089666)
gotcha, just misunderstood i guess... i can understand on the TP2, its new.. but mikes on a TP, how can the magnet wake the device?? im stoned and just ran a magnet all around my TP and it doesnt wake up, so i dont see how the magnet from a case could..

Mightymike got his tp2 like a week and a half ago. He has a thread on the first page of this same forum a few lines down with pics and what not.

MightyMike 08-08-2009 09:50 PM

haha, I think i'm the first one here who even had the TP2. Friday July 31st @ 3:30pm.

leanne 08-08-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightymike (Post 1089764)
haha, I think i'm the first one here who even had the TP2. Friday July 31st @ 3:30pm.

I would have had mine at almost exactly the same time if the idiot at Best Buy could have figured out how to activate it. I had to take directions in to them so they could make it work.

MightyMike 08-08-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leanne (Post 1089767)
I would have had mine at almost exactly the same time if the idiot at Best Buy could have figured out how to activate it. I had to take directions in to them so they could make it work.

When i swapped my touch pro for the touch pro 2, i told him I was doing the activation myself lol. He started rambling on the $25/esn swap and I was like yeah whatever man just give me the phone. On mytelusmobility.com I have $0 esn swap's, so I can just swap for free whenever I want. Don't ask me how I scored that sweet feature, one day It just went from $10 to $0 all by itself lol.

boredandtattooed 08-08-2009 09:54 PM

sorry, was going off his info on his post.. says he has a Touch Pro

MightyMike 08-08-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1089773)
sorry, was going off his info on his post.. says he has a Touch Pro

lol... definitely forgot to change that. Thanks for the heads up :) ](*,)

--edit--

Yep, that looks better!

junkiee 08-08-2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

EST time? I got mine at 2pm MST... :-D

ls3mach 08-08-2009 11:40 PM

Welcome to 4 years ago. That crap has been happening since the PPC-6700

supdawg 08-08-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Magnets have zero affect on LCD screens..
:)

CRT - now that's another matter.

ls3mach 08-08-2009 11:45 PM

My first quick post was just a smartass answer. I guess I am an older member than I realized. The PPC-6700 and 6800 came with magnetic cases, The screen will power on with a magnet due to this being how screen rotation works. It isn't a problem pulling it out, but it is a HUGE issue when putting it in. Especially given that hitting the talk or d-pad will dial the last person called. I have had some VERY awkward calls in the past with this issue. VERY awkward indeed. HTC went to Velcro cases with the 6950 and I HATE it. The sound drives me batty. I used to wear slacks and a belt every day and I carried mine in the magnetic case. When you learn about the turn on issue you make sure to be more careful of putting it in, you can never make that Velcro silent though. Unless you watch Garden State. They will change your life you know...

pbeaul 08-09-2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Looks like I got you by 45 minutes... Haha.

http://pbeaul.net/images/tp2receipt.jpg

Edit: that's 2:45 EDT, or 1:45 CDT or 12:45 MDT or 11:45 PDT. :-)

Mael-X 08-09-2009 02:29 AM

Quote:

Sorry guys, got you both beat. I had mine activated and in my hands just after 1pm EST...

destitute 08-09-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mael-X (Post 1090063)
Sorry guys, got you both beat. I had mine activated and in my hands just after 1pm EST...

Well i can't beat that, but i think i might have made the top 10 with my 1:05 pm MST purchase! :D

CovKid66 08-09-2009 11:07 PM

Sorry to return to topic but...I found that if I simply slide the phone in the case the other way round it does not turn it on i.e. screen away from the magnet / back facing out.

ZuneNinja! 08-10-2009 12:26 AM

Back off topic! haha. But all you guys are torturing me. Arguing who had there's first and what not. GRRR I say to you, because I am on Verizon and DO NOT own a TP2 yet and have no official release date :( . Just a crummy speculation date.

junkiee 08-10-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covkid66 (Post 1091298)
Sorry to return to topic but...I found that if I simply slide the phone in the case the other way round it does not turn it on i.e. screen away from the magnet / back facing out.

possibly the magnet in my case is stronger than yours, as that's the way I put my phone back in the case and it does it... screen in or out, same result.

banjoeball 08-10-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkiee (Post 1092026)
possibly the magnet in my case is stronger than yours, as that's the way I put my phone back in the case and it does it... screen in or out, same result.

haa "My magnet's stronger than yours!!"

...jokes aside, my TP2 does the same thing with the magnetic case. Try turning the slide-out sound on, it makes noise every time you put the thing in its case. I kind of wanna change the sound to
"Noo!!! Not the case again!"
:D

destitute 08-10-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banjoeball (Post 1092031)
Try turning the slide-out sound on, it makes noise every time you put the thing in its case.

That pretty much confirms my suspicions. The magnet sensor is there to sense when the keyboard is slid open.

Using the HTC Diamond stylus (magnetic) i found out that with the keyboard slid open you can actually force the screen into portrait by holding the magnet near the send/end buttons. not particularly useful, but interesting nonetheless.

junkiee 08-10-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destitute (Post 1092419)
That pretty much confirms my suspicions. The magnet sensor is there to sense when the keyboard is slid open.

Using the HTC Diamond stylus (magnetic) i found out that with the keyboard slid open you can actually force the screen into portrait by holding the magnet near the send/end buttons. not particularly useful, but interesting nonetheless.

so then a solution would be to disable to auto on when the screen is slid out... personally I rarely slid the screen out to wake the device; usually if the phone tell me a new txt or email arrived, I generally wake and read it portrait then if I want to respond slide the KB out...

if a reg edit could disable the phone waking when the screen is slid out, then that would solve my problem...

sh0ck 08-10-2009 05:42 PM

for me, S2U2 has fixed this bug.
when the magnet wake up the TP2. it can't go any further :)

CovKid66 08-10-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banjoeball (Post 1092031)
haa "My magnet's stronger than yours!!"

:D

Yeah, but I bought mine before you....I've got the receipt somewhere here abouts :lol:

emmanuel.a.asselin 08-10-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkiee (Post 1092475)
so then a solution would be to disable to auto on when the screen is slid out... personally I rarely slid the screen out to wake the device; usually if the phone tell me a new txt or email arrived, I generally wake and read it portrait then if I want to respond slide the KB out...

if a reg edit could disable the phone waking when the screen is slid out, then that would solve my problem...

If you're still looking for a reg edit to disable the ''Slide Wake Up'' try this:

To disable auto-wakeup when keyboard is opened:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\DeviceMap\Keybd] Create new dword "SlideWakeup" with value of 0 and soft reset. To revert, delete the key or set it's data to 1

Just did it on my TP2, it solved the problem...

CovKid66 08-10-2009 10:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmanuel.a.asselin (Post 1093353)
If you're still looking for a reg edit to disable the ''Slide Wake Up'' try this:

To disable auto-wakeup when keyboard is opened:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\DeviceMap\Keybd] Create new dword "SlideWakeup" with value of 0 and soft reset. To revert, delete the key or set it's data to 1

Just did it on my TP2, it solved the problem...

Works like a charm. Device does not turn on when you slide the keyboard out, or insert it into a case with a magnetic flap!!!

I've cab'ed it up and attached it (DisableSlideWakeup.cab). This will automatically soft reset after being installed. There's also a cab to enable it again if needed.

EDIT: Okay, scratch all of that....this fix seems to work at first, but after a short perod of time after the reset it seems to revert back to normal e.g. device turns on when you slide out the kbd! I guess I'll delete this post, but will wait to see if others can confirm the registry change does not work.

junkiee 08-11-2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covkid66 (Post 1093370)
Works like a charm. Device does not turn on when you slide the keyboard out, or insert it into a case with a magnetic flap!!!

I've cab'ed it up and attached it (DisableSlideWakeup.cab). This will automatically soft reset after being installed. There's also a cab to enable it again if needed.

EDIT: Okay, scratch all of that....this fix seems to work at first, but after a short perod of time after the reset it seems to revert back to normal e.g. device turns on when you slide out the kbd! I guess I'll delete this post, but will wait to see if others can confirm the registry change does not work.

Thank you Sir!

CovKid66 08-11-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkiee (Post 1093642)
Thank you Sir!

"Thank you" the cab worked full time, or "Thank you" you tried the reg edit and found it only worked for a brief period of time after the soft reset?