PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   NEED ANSWER TODAY**** conserning Asurion "warrenty" (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=146988)

elesbb 09-13-2011 10:12 AM

NEED ANSWER TODAY**** conserning Asurion "warrenty"

Alright , im on my 3rd replacement via warrenty through Asurion . too keep this short and sweet , my question is this , i have my 2nd TP2 yet i did not send it back , this being why i need an answer today , but the 2nd tp2 had a horrible USB port , so i asked for a new one , i got the new (refurb) one , this has a working USB port , so i went over the entire phone and noticed that the 3rd TP2 has a non working end key (hard key) but the 2nd TP2 has all keys working fine .

I took apart my original TP2 that i originally filed the claim for , since i was paying 100 bucks to have it replaced there was no possible way for "defecting" the warrenty .

So my initial question is this . Since the Begin call , start key , back key and hang up key all work on the 2nd refurb they sent me , can i swap just the screen and front keys on each phone without asurion knowing ? its quite easy to do . but i hate having to call them back, fucking hell . or should i just go to my sprint store ? they like me there . lol

horndoctor 09-13-2011 03:01 PM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Since you payed the $100 fee I don't think they will care if you swap the parts. They will probably notice but the question is will they care?
I would say the safest thing to do is contact them and tell them about the end key and then they may tell you or agree that you should take it to your local Sprint repair center and see if they can/will repair it.

EyeB 09-13-2011 03:35 PM

Re: NEED ANSWER TODAY**** conserning Asurion "warrenty"

if it's a refurb phone, it's most likely been taken apart enough times that they won't care/know if all you are doing is replacing parts. The keys don't really have identifying markings that I known of so they cant tell 1 from another set of keys.

elesbb 09-13-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 2144578)
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Since you payed the $100 fee I don't think they will care if you swap the parts. They will probably notice but the question is will they care?
I would say the safest thing to do is contact them and tell them about the end key and then they may tell you or agree that you should take it to your local Sprint repair center and see if they can/will repair it.

im trying to avoid calling them , as im pissed enough and dont feel like listening to the stupid prompts lol . but thanks im sure they wont even notice . as eyeb said , its a refurb so im sure its got numerous amount of parts on it .

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeb (Post 2144585)
if it's a refurb phone, it's most likely been taken apart enough times that they won't care/know if all you are doing is replacing parts. The keys don't really have identifying markings that I known of so they cant tell 1 from another set of keys.

just to clarify im replacing the whole screen , you know how it slides ? they are seperatable , so im gonna seperate them and put the screen part on the good phone .

elesbb 09-13-2011 03:58 PM

i am just afraid that if i take it apart , they will be like up you took it apart warrenty void we are gonna charge you for the phone now -.-

aedon 09-13-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2144594)
i am just afraid that if i take it apart , they will be like up you took it apart warrenty void we are gonna charge you for the phone now -.-

I wouldnt worry about it.

Over that last few weeks I took apart my touch pro 2's (I had 2 of them)
so many times.

The only way they would know if it had been taken apart is if you damage it or it was a new (non refurbashed) tp2

If its not refurbished, then the sticker that covers the sim card port will still be connected to the bottom housing piece that has the barcodes and esn numbers.

I noticed that the refurb one was nicly cut and stayed on the mother board after removing that piece.

The only other difference I noticed is that once you get to the flex cables that you have to dissconect on the screen, (after taking off the yellow lamination)
the refurbished one had a piece of paper covering the cloth that was glued to the keyboard piece.

I literally studied the entier workings of the phone and didnt see anything else that would give it away that its been taken apart.

Since its already refurb then it will already show sighns of being taken apart, ie tool marks and the such

so unless you fubar the first half of the dissasembly, then your clear.

Theres not too much that can go wrong though.

Id go for it.

elesbb 09-13-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aedon (Post 2144599)
I wouldnt worry about it.

Over that last few weeks I took apart my touch pro 2's (I had 2 of them)
so many times.

The only way they would know if it had been taken apart is if you damage it or it was a new (non refurbashed) tp2

If its not refurbished, then the sticker that covers the sim card port will still be connected to the bottom housing piece that has the barcodes and esn numbers.

I noticed that the refurb one was nicly cut and stayed on the mother board after removing that piece.

The only other difference I noticed is that once you get to the flex cables that you have to dissconect on the screen, (after taking off the yellow lamination)
the refurbished one had a piece of paper covering the cloth that was glued to the keyboard piece.

I literally studied the entier workings of the phone and didnt see anything else that would give it away that its been taken apart.

Since its already refurb then it will already show sighns of being taken apart, ie tool marks and the such

so unless you fubar the first half of the dissasembly, then your clear.

Theres not too much that can go wrong though.

Id go for it.

im gonna cause they effin piss me off . just gotta get the screw drivers for it . radioshak have em ?

and inside the back of the battery , there is a huge sticker with the esn numbers and such on it .

eric12341 09-13-2011 05:36 PM

more like ass-urion, they need to stop using them.

aedon 09-13-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2144604)
im gonna cause they effin piss me off . just gotta get the screw drivers for it . radioshak have em ?

and inside the back of the battery , there is a huge sticker with the esn numbers and such on it .

ya I know I mensioned that in my post.

Dont worry, its connected to a shet of aluminum that is part of the first piece you take off the phone.

If you want I can make a tutorial for you and post up some pics

gTen 09-13-2011 07:38 PM

yes you can get away with it..assuran is not warranty its insurance...they take the phone whichever condition its in....taking it apart like that voids warranty but does not void insurance simply because how TEP is done, it insured the device itself, not the condition of the device...just like when you get car insurance..you can still swap out parts...but for car warranty if you swap out parts (outside the official stores) its voided (I think)

elesbb 09-13-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2144655)
yes you can get away with it..assuran is not warranty its insurance...they take the phone whichever condition its in....taking it apart like that voids warranty but does not void insurance simply because how TEP is done, it insured the device itself, not the condition of the device...just like when you get car insurance..you can still swap out parts...but for car warranty if you swap out parts (outside the official stores) its voided (I think)

well, if i open it up it does void the warrenty with TEP what happens say down the road (heck next week with these phones) my usb port stops working or i get the horrid SOD ? then i will need to pay 100 bucks for a new one via TEP since i opened it up .... however i dont think they will notice . i was jsut worried there was a void sticker somewhere like there was on my Laptop .

aedon 09-13-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2144698)
well, if i open it up it does void the warrenty with TEP what happens say down the road (heck next week with these phones) my usb port stops working or i get the horrid SOD ? then i will need to pay 100 bucks for a new one via TEP since i opened it up .... however i dont think they will notice . i was jsut worried there was a void sticker somewhere like there was on my Laptop .

Nope.
there is one on a fresh device, if you remove the battery and look at the big sticker we talked about, the one with the bar codes, there is a little like 1.5 cm gray square that coveres the sim card port.

You have to cut that off the main sticker to be able to lift the aluminum plate to continue the dissasembly process.

On a refurbished device it should already be cut open.

No worries

gTen 09-14-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2144698)

Again...your confusing "Warranty" with "Insurance"..warranty is insured by the manufacturer..when a warranty claim is processed you usually pay nothing..when you are paying the $100 deductible..that is Insurance...not the same thing...

Insurance effectively covers whichever phone is on the line, regardless of condition..hence why when you get a new phone on a line, insurance still stays...

elesbb 09-14-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2144748)
Again...your confusing "Warranty" with "Insurance"..warranty is insured by the manufacturer..when a warranty claim is processed you usually pay nothing..when you are paying the $100 deductible..that is Insurance...not the same thing...

Insurance effectively covers whichever phone is on the line, regardless of condition..hence why when you get a new phone on a line, insurance still stays...

ahh .. ok .. well i swap the screen module just now , gonna put the old one in the mail , hopefully i dont get any fees or anything , if so i'll scream :) lol

horndoctor 09-14-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb
Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2144748)

ahh .. ok .. well i swap the screen module just now , gonna put the old one in the mail , hopefully i dont get any fees or anything , if so i'll scream :) lol

Send gTen the bill if you get one. He's loaded. :evil4:

eric12341 09-14-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 2144842)

Send @gTen the bill if you get one. He's loaded. :evil4:

fixed ur post to add the mention. I don't think he's ever been wrong about anything yet.

elesbb 09-16-2011 05:20 PM

Okay my new TP2 still has the faulty USB problem im goin to go see if my sprint store can help . then im most likely buying a phone off ebay im fucking finished with this shit .

aedon 09-16-2011 11:54 PM

yeaaaa
i dont blame you.
you can try creagslist too

horndoctor 09-17-2011 12:38 AM

There are a couple tp2s for sale in bargain trader...

elesbb 09-17-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 2145537)

There are a couple tp2s for sale in bargain trader...

eh it was a nice phone , but I'm tired of having everything break on me , I'll probably get a moment or optimus s .

gTen 09-17-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2145639)
eh it was a nice phone , but I'm tired of having everything break on me , I'll probably get a moment or optimus s .

DO NOT GET A MOMENT! >.> lol

elesbb 09-17-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2145644)
DO NOT GET A MOMENT! >.> lol

uhmmm whyyy ? lol

gullzway 09-18-2011 12:04 AM

Lol, I just happened upon another moment as a trade. Not activated, just a backup, but as cheap as you can get one as long as it don't have the data drop problem, its not a bad phone! This one was $ 25 on craigslist, but darren just sold an epic for $100, much better deal.

Sent from an Epic 3G using ppcgeeks.

gTen 09-18-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2145682)
uhmmm whyyy ? lol

cause the moment has a crappy processor..it says 800mhz but its an old ARM11..think like TP2 processor overclocked...if your gonan go for an old phone at least get one based of Cortex A8

elesbb 09-18-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2145715)
cause the moment has a crappy processor..it says 800mhz but its an old ARM11..think like TP2 processor overclocked...if your gonan go for an old phone at least get one based of Cortex A8

ahh did not know that thank you ! I was playing with the optimus s in sprint and I really like it . just hate how there's no keyboard :'(

gTen 09-18-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2145749)
ahh did not know that thank you ! I was playing with the optimus s in sprint and I really like it . just hate how there's no keyboard :'(

what exactly are you looking for in a phone? cheap to buy outright? cheap on contract? no $10 fee? etc?

for example Samsung Replenish has same processor as optimus s and no $10 fee..

elesbb 09-18-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2145751)
what exactly are you looking for in a phone? cheap to buy outright? cheap on contract? no $10 fee? etc?

for example Samsung Replenish has same processor as optimus s and no $10 fee..

optimus s has no 10 dollar fee either . I'm pretty much looking for cheap but good . something that will last me until my upgrade in april 2012 . I'll check out the samsung replenish . thanks gten !

gTen 09-18-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2145756)
optimus s has no 10 dollar fee either . I'm pretty much looking for cheap but good . something that will last me until my upgrade in april 2012 . I'll check out the samsung replenish . thanks gten !

umm..since when? all smartphones have $10 fee except the green phone, heck even Instinct has $10 fee lol..unless your on sero premium...but if that is the case you may be able to get even a better specced phone..

elesbb 09-18-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2145758)
umm..since when? all smartphones have $10 fee except the green phone, heck even Instinct has $10 fee lol..unless your on sero premium...but if that is the case you may be able to get even a better specced phone..

yeah when i was at the sprint store with my very first TP2 ( the one i threw ) he recommended i get the optimus S if asurion gave me an option if they didnt have any TP2s and he said since i signed the contract without the 10 dollar data fee the only way i can now get that charge is if i go to a 4g phone or upgrade my contract .

aedon 09-19-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2145823)
yeah when i was at the sprint store with my very first TP2 ( the one i threw ) he recommended i get the optimus S if asurion gave me an option if they didnt have any TP2s and he said since i signed the contract without the 10 dollar data fee the only way i can now get that charge is if i go to a 4g phone or upgrade my contract .

Im in the same boat.
I mean I still have my first tp2 and I havnt had any replacements other then the one I bought online and ended up selling.

Im starting to get fed up with the tp2 tho. Its startting to slow down so much I have to pull the battery out and restart the phone to get it to stop thinking about doing what I asked and actually doing it.

But I tiered of it.. but I cant get anything better without adding the 10 dollar sartphone fee..
and if I want a 4g phone.. wich I obviously do (not cause its 4g but just cause the one I like happens to be 4g.. 4g doesnt have anything to do with it...) its and addition 10 on top of the 10 id already have to pay..

SO for me to get a beter phone then this... I have to pay 20 more a months..

thats balls

gTen 09-19-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2145823)

I dont know if that sounds right :/..I mean if it is the case there is a Kyocera Echo which spec wise is close to the Evo but has no 4G...but again I am being a little skeptical based on what a sprint agent said..I'd confirm it with their support.

elesbb 09-19-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2145895)
I dont know if that sounds right :/..I mean if it is the case there is a Kyocera Echo which spec wise is close to the Evo but has no 4G...but again I am being a little skeptical based on what a sprint agent said..I'd confirm it with their support.

i did already , lol . cause i was gonna do an early upgrade and he said it would cost me 3xx hundred for the Evo shift . so i was like well what if i buy an arrive or something off ebay ? he looked up my plan and said everything would be perfectly fine . and i even brought up the 10 dollar charge for data , and he said that only applies to those first signing up or those upgrading their contract . cause i then went into asking him well what if i buy an arrive or another non 4g phone (because i dont have 4g at my home so it would seem pointless to get it) and he said the only way i will ever get the new 10 dollar fee for data is if i upgrade my contract since i signed up before they added that .

dubroz 10-23-2011 09:40 PM

How are you people upgrading your phone at all???

I have a tp2 that has seen better days and want to get an arrive. Every time I call sprint, they tell me I need to change my plan to upgrade my phone. I told them i will buy the phone outright and want activate it ... They said no dice and they wont let me put it on my plan. Wtf!!!!

I have a legacy free and clear plan with unlimited data, etc ... I have always had a smartphone on this plan. Any help???

elesbb 10-23-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubroz (Post 2151997)
How are you people upgrading your phone at all???

I have a tp2 that has seen better days and want to get an arrive. Every time I call sprint, they tell me I need to change my plan to upgrade my phone. I told them i will buy the phone outright and want activate it ... They said no dice and they wont let me put it on my plan. Wtf!!!!

I have a legacy free and clear plan with unlimited data, etc ... I have always had a smartphone on this plan. Any help???

Sprint is now making people pay the 10 dollar "data fee" thats the "change" you are talking about . if you already have data then you should be fine . im on sprintw 400 anytime unlimited data / mms / sms and i can buy any NON 4g phone FROM EBAY and not pay the 10 dollars . but IF I UPGRADE (which means signing a new contract to get the upgrade price) you will have to change the plan by adding the 10 dollars .

dubroz 10-24-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2152005)
Sprint is now making people pay the 10 dollar "data fee" thats the "change" you are talking about . if you already have data then you should be fine . im on sprintw 400 anytime unlimited data / mms / sms and i can buy any NON 4g phone FROM EBAY and not pay the 10 dollars . but IF I UPGRADE (which means signing a new contract to get the upgrade price) you will have to change the plan by adding the 10 dollars .

I am not referring to the $10 fee, when I ask about activating a new phone they are trying to force my to change to a simply everything plan. I have tried going to retentions and no luck, it is always the same answer ... No new phone for legacy plans, period. Even if it is only 3G.

Please help, am I the only one??

elesbb 10-24-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubroz (Post 2152155)
I am not referring to the $10 fee, when I ask about activating a new phone they are trying to force my to change to a simply everything plan. I have tried going to retentions and no luck, it is always the same answer ... No new phone for legacy plans, period. Even if it is only 3G.

Please help, am I the only one??

did you purchase the phone through a third party or through sprint ? because if its a two year upgrade then you must upgrade your plan . I signed up for simply everything and the only upgrade I would have to do is the 10 dollar fee . even if I bought a 3g only phone like the arrive . since your contract expired , you are getting the phone at a "new sign up" price plus the discount for your upgrade and in order to do the new contract upgrade you must sign another contract . I was told if I buy any 3g phone via ebay or 3rd party I will be able to keep the current plan with no change .

what plan are you on now ?

dubroz 10-24-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2152157)
did you purchase the phone through a third party or through sprint ? because if its a two year upgrade then you must upgrade your plan . I signed up for simply everything and the only upgrade I would have to do is the 10 dollar fee . even if I bought a 3g only phone like the arrive . since your contract expired , you are getting the phone at a "new sign up" price plus the discount for your upgrade and in order to do the new contract upgrade you must sign another contract . I was told if I buy any 3g phone via ebay or 3rd party I will be able to keep the current plan with no change .

what plan are you on now ?

I'm on a free and clear family plan with 550 mins shared between 2 phones, premium data add on, mms add on, nights at 7pm add on. All this for $72 after taxes.

I just spent another hour on the phone with sprint and escalated to a retentions supervisor. I was told I do not have a data plan, since my plan has this as an add on, it does not count as data and their system will not allow this. All this is bs, sprint just wants to force abandoning the old legacy plans.

I asked about buying a new phone from a 3rd party or eBay, they said no way. He said it is simply not compatible with my legacy plan and any account rep will not be able to add the phone.

If you are on a legacy plan, beware of a surprise!

gTen 10-24-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubroz (Post 2152166)
I'm on a free and clear family plan with 550 mins shared between 2 phones, premium data add on, mms add on, nights at 7pm add on. All this for $72 after taxes.

I just spent another hour on the phone with sprint and escalated to a retentions supervisor. I was told I do not have a data plan, since my plan has this as an add on, it does not count as data and their system will not allow this. All this is bs, sprint just wants to force abandoning the old legacy plans.

I asked about buying a new phone from a 3rd party or eBay, they said no way. He said it is simply not compatible with my legacy plan and any account rep will not be able to add the phone.

If you are on a legacy plan, beware of a surprise!

This is common knowledge these days, effectively as far as their system is concerned the TP2 is not a smartphone. No matter what you do its 100% impossible to get a new phone on an old plan because it won't let them. Even a supervisor can't overwrite this, its hard coded into the system.

The SERO plans for example have an option to convert to SERO premium which is $10 extra a month. as for the old family plans not much you can do, the only way to make it remotely work out is if you have 4-5 lines and get the ERDP plan.

dubroz 10-24-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2152171)
No matter what you do its 100% impossible to get a new phone on an old plan because it won't let them. Even a supervisor can't overwrite this, its hard coded into the system.

So what happens if I have TEP and asurion doesn't have a replacement TP2 available anymore?

elesbb 10-25-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubroz (Post 2152179)
So what happens if I have TEP and asurion doesn't have a replacement TP2 available anymore?

you get a piece of shit refurbished phone that most likely won't work and you'll end up sending that back and being on the phone a million times with asurion as all your hair falls out because all you want is an operable phone but all they give you is shit . so I just dropped mine all together and am doing any sort of repairs myself , its quite simple .