PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   So, Sprint Rep Says TP2 is NOT a Smartphone! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=145826)

steveo70 07-20-2011 03:16 AM

Re: So, Sprint Rep Says TP2 is NOT a Smartphone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 2129996)
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Well, it is the largest dealer in my city. :(

I will say I went in on release day to get mine (didn't even want to look at, test, or touch one). The person that helped me had nothing but good things to say about it and really knew about the product except for having no SDCard. Maybe he was just trying to protect me from messing w/my phone? I do agree w/you Doc. Listening to the conversations w/other customers less informed made me cringe at times.

DeputyStankus 07-20-2011 10:18 PM

I ran into something similar. I have a "Free & Clear Family Plan" on Sprint with free unlimited data. We share it on 3 lines. Two are TP2, one is an old clam-shell phone. The user of the clam-shell finally wants to upgrade. We're past the contract, so I asked about renewing and getting new phones. Here's what they said:

Quote:

You can upgrade your phone without changing the plan
however the phone should not be from below list of phone which required
data plans:

• Data Bundle required for 3G/4G:
1. HTC EVO™ 4G
2. HTC EVO Shift™ 4G
3. HTC EVO 3D™
4. Samsung Epic™ 4G a Galaxy S™ phone
5. Nexus S™ 4G from Google

- Data Bundled Plan Required:
=================

1. BlackBerry® Curve™ 8530 Smartphone
2. BlackBerry® Curve™ 9330 Smartphone
3. BlackBerry® Bold™ 9650 smartphone
4. BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 smartphone
5. HTC Arrive™
6. HTC Hero™ with Google™
7. Palm® Pixie™
8. Palm® Pre™
9. LG Optimus S™
10. Motorola ES400S
11. Motorola i1: Data plan required but add-on allowed.
12. Motorola XRPT
13. Sanyo Zio™
14. Samsung Moment™ with Google™
15. Samsung Intercept™ with Google™
16. Samsung Instinct®
17. Samsung Instinct® HD
18. Samsung Instinct® s30™
19. Samsung Replenish™
20. Samsung Transform™

You can order any of the phone except the above list of phone with your
current plan.
I just don't get it. I have a data plan, right? Anyhoo, I didn't feel like dealing with it, so I bought a TP2 on eBay. We should be able to activate that with no problem, since we already have two of those on the account, right?

gTen 07-20-2011 10:31 PM

um lol... Motorola ES400S is a windows mobile phone...so it would be funny to see how they would explain how one winmo phone is a smartphone and one isnt >.>

horndoctor 07-21-2011 12:41 AM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeputyStankus
I ran into something similar. I have a "Free & Clear Family Plan" on Sprint with free unlimited data. We share it on 3 lines. Two are TP2, one is an old clam-shell phone. The user of the clam-shell finally wants to upgrade. We're past the contract, so I asked about renewing and getting new phones. Here's what they said:

Quote:

You can upgrade your phone without changing the plan
however the phone should not be from below list of phone which required
data plans:

• Data Bundle required for 3G/4G:
1. HTC EVO™ 4G
2. HTC EVO Shift™ 4G
3. HTC EVO 3D™
4. Samsung Epic™ 4G a Galaxy S™ phone
5. Nexus S™ 4G from Google

- Data Bundled Plan Required:
=================

1. BlackBerry® Curve™ 8530 Smartphone
2. BlackBerry® Curve™ 9330 Smartphone
3. BlackBerry® Bold™ 9650 smartphone
4. BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 smartphone
5. HTC Arrive™
6. HTC Hero™ with Google™
7. Palm® Pixie™
8. Palm® Pre™
9. LG Optimus S™
10. Motorola ES400S
11. Motorola i1: Data plan required but add-on allowed.
12. Motorola XRPT
13. Sanyo Zio™
14. Samsung Moment™ with Google™
15. Samsung Intercept™ with Google™
16. Samsung Instinct®
17. Samsung Instinct® HD
18. Samsung Instinct® s30™
19. Samsung Replenish™
20. Samsung Transform™

You can order any of the phone except the above list of phone with your
current plan.
I just don't get it. I have a data plan, right? Anyhoo, I didn't feel like dealing with it, so I bought a TP2 on eBay. We should be able to activate that with no problem, since we already have two of those on the account, right?

Yes, you shouldn't have any trouble activating another tp2 on your plan.

teradog 07-22-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeputyStankus (Post 2130295)

Hey Deputy... hope that Android it working good for you...
We have the exact same plans, phones, free data, etc..

I was told no last week, that I could no longer activate a TP2 without an upgrade. However, if you've been around long enough to have free & clear, just talk to retentions, you'll get it.

Here is a thread I did on all this a while back you may find helpfull
Sprint TP2, 3G new fees, forced new plans, no grandfather, no upgrade path
it's kind of a mess due to all the changes I had to make to the original post, because of the new Sprint policies, but the entire thread has lots of info as well.

Above, you said you "bought one on ebay", guessing you haven't received in mail yet, please let us know how it goes with activation. :>}

DeputyStankus 07-22-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teradog (Post 2130895)
Hey Deputy... hope that Android it working good for you...
We have the exact same plans, phones, free data, etc..

I was told no last week, that I could no longer activate a TP2 without an upgrade. However, if you've been around long enough to have free & clear, just talk to retentions, you'll get it.

Here is a thread I did on all this a while back you may find helpfull
Sprint TP2, 3G new fees, forced new plans, no grandfather, no upgrade path
it's kind of a mess due to all the changes I had to make to the original post, because of the new Sprint policies, but the entire thread has lots of info as well.

Above, you said you "bought one on ebay", guessing you haven't received in mail yet, please let us know how it goes with activation. :>}

Yeah, having Android on there is lots of fun. It still loops through the bootup animation several times, which I don't understand, but everything else is good so far.

As for the TP2...yikes! I just spent over $100 on one, so I'll be pretty mad if I can't activate it.

Out of curiosity, did you actually buy one and use the website to activate it, or did you just call and ask? Some of the posts I've seen say that the website will still let you activate it with no trouble.

Fingers crossed!

teradog 07-23-2011 05:38 PM

For sure try the web 1st!!
I wasn't trying to activate one on the phone, was just having a VERY long discussion re. the upgrade path (or lack there of) of a tp2...

furiousgtz 07-23-2011 08:04 PM

I had this argument with sprint customer service, and retention so many times its ridiculous. TP2 is a smartphone just because its support F&F,Sero. Still a great smartphone.

DeputyStankus 07-24-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teradog (Post 2131208)
For sure try the web 1st!!
I wasn't trying to activate one on the phone, was just having a VERY long discussion re. the upgrade path (or lack there of) of a tp2...

Well, that gives me some hope. I should get the phone this week, so I'll be sure to post.

timewaster 07-24-2011 12:24 PM

i bought my tp2 through craigs list 2 weeks ago and activated over the phone. Had no problems with my SERO account.