PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to: Make your speaker louder and clearer

I decided to make my speaker louder and clearer after examining the back cover and noticing how much it blocks the speaker. Playing music while replacing and removing the back cover confirms it's effectiveness in reducing sound quality. The speaker actually sounds pretty damn good without the cover on it.

Tools: Your fingernail and or a razor-blade

There are actually two things you can do, the simplest one you can do with your fingernail or a razor-blade, the second you need a razor-blade or dremel or something else to cut the plastic.

(This is for a Sprint phone, but I'm sure you can do something similar for other phones)

Fingernail mod:

When you take the back cover off, on the inside of it, you have a black plastic backing with the metal mesh screen under it. The mesh screen is what you see through the holes on the back of the cover. (In my case it's orange because I have sprint)

If you examine the hole where the speaker is and you'll notice that it's not near as big as the speaker hole. You can actually take your finger nail and dig under the edge of the black adhesive backing and pick at it enough to clear away an opening for the speaker. You could also use a razorblade to score the backing material before peeling it off.

After I took that pic, I peeled up a little of the bottom and cut it off to make it more level on the bottom. Not that it mattered, because all the holes where exposed anywho.

If you want to see what it looks like when you score it and peel it off, scroll down to JohnMcD348's post at #19.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=19

Mod #2: Cutting the back cover.

I probably should have used a dremel, but decided to use a slightly dull razorblade, because I had one right here.

Basically, you cut out some of the plastic to expose the metal mesh in front of the speaker. I just scored the plastic and kept cutting untill it was close enough that I pried the middle section out. Making sure that I only pried it from the middle hole as not to mar the edges of the back cover.

As you can see there is residue in the middle from the adhesive on the metal mesh, it peels off easy like rubber cement off of your skin. After I paint the mesh black, you won't notice the edges or where the plastic used to be.

It still doesn't sound quite as good or as loud as no back cover, but it sounds a lot better than before. It's possible they use the same black backing on all the different brand TP2's in which case they don't have holes over the speaker like the Sprint one does. So I'll take the louder speaker, thanks.

If you're worried about your warranty. Scroll to post 22

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=22

search terms: audio booster louder volume speakerphone ringer hear

Last edited by bobturismo; 09-27-2010 at 01:06 AM.
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme
Re: How to: Make your speaker louder and clearer

just did it without cutting the plastic off and then superglued a fine screen were the mesh was. Works great and way louder!!! took a whole 5 mins at that too!!

TEAM MiK
Member Since 12/30/10
Old 08-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags
Threadstarter

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooxteme View Post
just did it without cutting the plastic off and then superglued a fine screen were the mesh was. Works great and way louder!!! took a whole 5 mins at that too!!
Nice, what did you use for the fine screen mesh? That was something I had contemplated, but I would probably have to salvage some screen from something else...
Old 08-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I MADE IT!!!

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP

some old speaker screen i had layin around
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Iphone 4s

rain1177 is a n00b

Dont think i want to void my warranty, although i could say i lost my phone : ) thanks might try when i get home
Old 08-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

kern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuff

you could probably use stocking material

they have vids of how to do this on youtube as well
Old 08-05-2010, 04:58 PM
I MADE IT!!!

void warrenty? do it the way bob did, his way looks like is just tore the backing a lil bit putting the back cover on
Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

Yeah I saw this when I first got the phone. I don't know WHY it's there, but I figured if you remove all of it, not only will you get better sound but will also cool the battery down since there will be improved ventilation. I can only think of 2 things why it's there: 1) to protect from water exposure, 2) for a resonator chamber (think of a bandpass box for your 12"s).

Make sure you donate to those who spend countless hours improving your PPC/android experience!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:39 PM
I MADE IT!!!

resonator didnt even think of that!!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

Yeah, I started peeling from the bottom to see how cleanly it would come off, and then looked at it a little better... So that's my BEST guess. As for to why would you want to peel it all off? Keeping the battery cooler = lasting longer (right?)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2