PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint!

veedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to veedubguru
GPS Switches on and off repeatedly.

I'm sure this has been asked here before, I just can't find it.

I have a Sprint Touch Pro 2, (although my Touch Pro 1 did this too) and when not moving or moving very slowly, the GPS cycles on and off repeatedly.

If I'm moving at any pace over 10 or 15 mph, it stays on constantly. I sure this is a power saving thing since my location isn't changing, it's cycling the GPS to save power.

The only reason that it is now bothering me is because I'm using a new GPS Nav program that is more sensative to this happening. Getting constant "Lost satellite reception" message when using it as a track recorder when hiking.

When I used Garmin XT, I noticed the same issue but Garmin didn't seem to mind the momentary lapse in signal... it just kind of ignored it. You could still see it happening on the GPS signal meter though.

How do I stop this from happening? I'm hoping there's a GPS power saving, or sleep setting in the registry that can be turned off and that it's not a feature built in to the GPS driver.

Anyone know the answer to this one?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: GPS Switches on and off repeatedly.

I have never seen this issue. My gps is always on no matter my speed. I guess is that you either have a rom issue or have installed some program that is effecting the gps.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

wildpig is keeping up the good workwildpig is keeping up the good work

i have some similar sort of problem on my TP1 where the gps kind of momentarily completely lose track of all GPS for about half a sec every so often (even though all the sat signals were all the way up). This was really independent of how fast I was moving. Additionally it has some horrible lag problem when my speed gets to about 50mph during which the whole thing just sorta freeze and won't update or scroll the map at all for several seconds...

My TP2 definitely does not have the above problems. solid steady lock, no problem with keeping an update on the position (very slight lag but never problem with updating position or scrolling the map)... Is this some new problem you just experience recently or has this been present since the first time you use the gps? I would definitely exchange it if i can.

Last edited by wildpig; 06-21-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

veedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuff

Not a new problem. Both my old Touch Pro 1 and the new TP2 both do it. I imagine that the first member to respond is using a Verizon phone. When I was with Verizon I never had this issue. Only noticed it since I've moved to Sprint.

I've had 4 Touch Pro 1s and now the Touch Pro 2 and they all do this.

Both Garmin and iGo repeatedly loose satellite lock. If you're stopped and watch the GPS signal in Garmin or iGo, you can watch it every few seconds or so... it loses lock. Way worse when you're stopped that when moving.

Anyone else on Sprint have a TP1 or TP2 that uses Garmin or iGo can verify this.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Here's what the behavior of the GPS on my TP1 and TP2 look like as can be seen by the two video clips...

The TP1 gps losing lock video shows over 4.5 min period, the gps completely loses lock with all sats 3 times for no apparent reason even though the gps sat signal is very good. You can see how bad that is while using igo. It would trigger a route recalculation everytime and slow down or freeze the program momentarily. This is with Mightyrom 6.5 for the TP1. Before I upgrade, this losing lock would happen even more often, like just about every minute or even more. I was hoping upgrading rom would completely fix this problem but it didn't, indicating this is more likely some sort of hardware problem which is really unfixable....

Over the same 4.5 min, the TP2 gps never lose gps lock at all. It never ever does once it got good sat signals.

Hope that is similar to what happening to you, veedub. Sorry I don't have a solution (other than exchange it) but i do definitely share your frustration... Anyone else? I pretty much give up on my TP1 with regard to this a long time ago since I was never about to find a fix. I am just so glad that my new TP2 doesn't have this problem. I think TP2 does use a different gps chipset..

Much appreciated if anyone else with TP1 and TP2 also comment about the gps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TP1 gps losing lock.zip (5.53 MB, 0 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip TP2 gps solid lock.zip (2.76 MB, 4 views) Click for barcode!
Old 06-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

I've tried everything I can think of to fix this. The only answer I've found for this is to run Google Maps with GPS turned on in that program, then minimize it and start one of my navigation programs. This makes it about 30% better, but it still momentarily looses lock.

Yesterday we were on the interstate doing about 80mph and it lost lock three or four times while we were at that speed. It seems more annoying that it once was... probably because I started using iGo. That program is very sensitive to momentary loss of satellite lock. Might switch back to Garmin just to not have that problem anymore. Garmin can loose lock for a second or two and not miss a beat. The iGo software alerts "Lost satellite reception" and hangs for about 5 seconds every time it happens... very annoying!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker

can you return yr TP2? like i said, my TP2 does not lose lock at all.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2