PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   getting fed up (rant, but maybe someone can help?) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=120911)

nyCecilia 05-12-2010 04:12 PM

getting fed up (rant, but maybe someone can help?)

I'm really getting fed up with my Sprint TP2. Some things it does really well, but the overall configuration is getting to me. I'm on (at least) my 5th time resetting everything, but I can't even begin to remember all that I did last time, all that I did last time that I don't want to do again, what new stuff I thought might work this time...in other words, it's just plain confusing and waaay too time consuming for a device that is supposed to make my life easier. I can't keep track of all this stuff anymore, and I am a neurotic note-taker/organizer.

I'm still on 6.1 because of all the problems I've read about here re: 6.5. I'm stuck with all sorts of sprint crap that I want to delete, but what I thought would help me get rid of the NFL program (why do I need that?????? Go away already!), the DotFred task manager, is too complicated. At one point I know I used it to disable bluetooth (which I have no use for but likes to slow down my phone) but can't even manage that with the version I have now, I'm completely lost on how to do that and don't remember how I did it before.

Then there's the butt dialing, which initially was solved with PocketShield, but now it seems that Pocketshield is SO effective that I can't even answer a call anymore. I have to turn the phone off then back on again and call the person back. HUH?????? (this recent hard reset is mostly an attempt to fix this)

I really did love my TP2 at one point, but right now I'm just trying my best to hold on until the EVO comes out and hope to all heck that it solves at least some of my problems. But right now I'm trying to put my phone back together sort of how I had it this morning, but without some of the stuff that became annoyances (my battery icon disappeared and I couldn't get it back, and AmazeGPS turned out to be horrible but it wouldn't delete itself properly either). So far I've spent my entire lunchtime, and I'm still not even close to there. Digging through threads on this forum and others...and trying to distinguish 6.1 progs from 6.5...I'll spend the whole day doing this :(

This is waaaay too stressful. Definitely not fun anymore.

austrian1986 05-12-2010 04:21 PM

Re: getting fed up (rant, but maybe someone can help?)

Flash to a 6.5 rom (I'm using Sprint Lovers 6.5X) and install S2U2 slidelock for VGA to prevent pocketdial. Doing so has mitigated most if not all problems I've had with the phone thus far.

shaggylive 05-12-2010 04:23 PM

think you can't answer calls due to a non-cdma freindly app being used.
the suspend resume cab in my signature will fix that issue..

aside from dotfred not being fancy or finger friendly, I use it all the time with my thumb. what's so complicated about it (other than it lets you see ALL the wm gutz.)

wud_e 05-12-2010 04:24 PM

You should really try upgrading your ROM. I just flashed to a 21903 based ROM and it's great.

elephant007 05-12-2010 04:39 PM

He first has to be willing to reconcile with his phone
Sounds like he's to the point of giving up on his TP2
I too once had a TP2, now I have a Samsung Moment
The TP2 was given to my girlfriend and she loves it!

nyCecilia 05-12-2010 04:43 PM

Flashing the rom: I suppose I could do this, but it seems to me to be no better than what I'm doing now, probably worse. The reason there are so many roms is that no one rom does it all, so I'd end up going crazy trying to figure out which rom works for me. I just don't have the time or patience for that anymore. Or maybe I'm just having a stress day. Either way, between learning how to flash a rom and then dealing with figuring out which rom, and then dealing with figuring out how to use that particular Rom, my head hurts. And most of my friends consider me their computer guru. Hah. FAIL!

Shaggy, is there any way to determine which ap is non-CDMA? I was extremely careful in picking out what I wanted to run and to make sure it said *SPRINT* in big bold letters. And it's not even like I had that much installed! At any rate, I already did the reset, so all I have to do is NOT install whatever it is that messed everything up.

Yeah, I didn't expect DotFred to be fancy or finger friendly, like I said, I did use it the last time I reinstalled everything. The problem is that I"m frustrated with the time I have to spend figuring out how to do what I did again.

Can someone tell me how to get rid of NFL Live, NASCAR, and all the pay-for Sprint services? I'm never going to buy anything from their software store or pay to watch TV on my phone. I can't even begin to talk about how inappropriate it is to force me to have NFL and NASCAR on a BUSINESS CLASS phone. These are games, not business. Or at least give me soap operas so I can have fun too ;)

As I'm going through the list of stuff I have to reinstall, I came across a program called WkTask, it might have been the last thing I installed so maybe it caused the problem? I don't even remember what it's supposed to do anymore.

In case anyone besides me is curious, this is the full list of things I had installed this morning before the cleanout, I can't imagine them causing a CDMA lockup:

PocketPlayer
PocketShield
Opera Mini5
Google Maps/Search
Evernote
MS MyPhone
FdcSoft Task Manager
mobireader
contactchanger
NetCFv35
WkTask TA TP2

nevergonnauseth 05-12-2010 05:03 PM

how many different task managers do you have installed?!

nyCecilia 05-12-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevergonnauseth (Post 1747985)
how many different task managers do you have installed?!

Haha, I think I did the DotFred thing trying to disable bluetooth and get rid of NFL/NASCAR (but don't think I ever accomplished that 2nd thing, at least not with dotfred), and then the other one had something to do with volume. Maybe that's the source of the pocketshield lockup problem, but still, now I can't get anything back to the way it was.

burtonsnow8 05-12-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyCecilia (Post 1747990)
Haha, I think I did the DotFred thing trying to disable bluetooth and get rid of NFL/NASCAR (but don't think I ever accomplished that 2nd thing, at least not with dotfred), and then the other one had something to do with volume. Maybe that's the source of the pocketshield lockup problem, but still, now I can't get anything back to the way it was.

Honestly, i'll try to break it down for you as best I can.

I have only had my TP2 working perfectly a couple times. The first was after I slightly tweaked the stock 6.1 TF3D 2.0. The second was just recently when I've installed BareNakedRom, not because its better than anything else, but because it gives me the options to customize how I want.

TF3D 2.0 has no eyecandy, no home screen weather and no "My Location". You choose the city and thats that. It has the same basic features of Manila 2.1/2.5 without the newer twitter, facebook etc tabs. Everything is a little less touch friendly, but boy is it smooth! Install SSK Dynamic Resource Proxy and NoPushInternet to help keep RAM low on startup. Also download something like SKTools, from there you can disable BT and any other programs you don't use from starting up. If you like having the slider at the bottom of your screen this is the way to go.

BNR is another great alternative. It comes, well Bare. There is literally no add ons and I boot around 25% RAM usage. I've personally installed SPB MS but have also tried it with Sense 2.1. Both seem to run very smooth and do not come bloated with all that carrier BS. I have yet to get close to 50% RAM usage, and this is after 2 days of solid use (I idle around 40-45%).

As far as I can tell all those programs should be fine, so the issue is something else.

nyCecilia 05-12-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burtonsnow8 (Post 1748015)
Honestly, i'll try to break it down for you as best I can.

I have only had my TP2 working perfectly a couple times. The first was after I slightly tweaked the stock 6.1 TF3D 2.0. The second was just recently when I've installed BareNakedRom, not because its better than anything else, but because it gives me the options to customize how I want.

TF3D 2.0 has no eyecandy, no home screen weather and no "My Location". You choose the city and thats that. It has the same basic features of Manila 2.1/2.5 without the newer twitter, facebook etc tabs. Everything is a little less touch friendly, but boy is it smooth! Install SSK Dynamic Resource Proxy and NoPushInternet to help keep RAM low on startup. Also download something like SKTools, from there you can disable BT and any other programs you don't use from starting up. If you like having the slider at the bottom of your screen this is the way to go.

BNR is another great alternative. It comes, well Bare. There is literally no add ons and I boot around 25% RAM usage. I've personally installed SPB MS but have also tried it with Sense 2.1. Both seem to run very smooth and do not come bloated with all that carrier BS. I have yet to get close to 50% RAM usage, and this is after 2 days of solid use (I idle around 40-45%).

As far as I can tell all those programs should be fine, so the issue is something else.

Haha, I just spent the last 45 minutes of my life trying to figure out SKTools, which promised to remove the Sprintcrap, but the uninstaller portion doesn't even show that stuff, so how can you uninstall what you can't see???????? Do I have to pay to see if it will work? Because I won't pay until I know I can do it properly (yes, I'm willing to pay a developer for their help, even though he shouldn't have had to spend his time making something that should be standard). GRRRRRRR (not at you, I'm just frustrated)

I haven't even run TF3d in any version since the first few weeks of having the phone. I tried SPB Mobile for a time and it was pretty good, but I have been just as happy with the WinMo today screen, and I don't have to pay for that. Don't need fancy stuff. Can look out the window to see the weather (we don't really have weather in SF, we just have fog ;) ) Don't use twitter, and rarely use FB (and the little I do, I can go through Opera and I'm happy enough for those 5 sec).

I forgot to mention that I did install the tweaks package, so I think that includes the no push internet? Maybe the SSK too? and a few other things that I know are mandatory (something about texts, which is something I use a lot of)

I am so tempted to try BNR on your suggestion, but am really afraid of regretting it and being back to where I started...it's fine to be playing with this stuff when you have free/downtime, but when work gets busy and you don't have the time, you just want it to WORK and not have to deal with all these failed attempts at something that should be standard on the phone (ie. the ability to remove Sprintcrap). A phone is supposed to make your life EASIER, not HARDER, eh?

burtonsnow8 05-12-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyCecilia (Post 1748033)
Haha, I just spent the last 45 minutes of my life trying to figure out SKTools, which promised to remove the Sprintcrap, but the uninstaller portion doesn't even show that stuff, so how can you uninstall what you can't see???????? Do I have to pay to see if it will work? Because I won't pay until I know I can do it properly (yes, I'm willing to pay a developer for their help, even though he shouldn't have had to spend his time making something that should be standard). GRRRRRRR (not at you, I'm just frustrated)

I haven't even run TF3d in any version since the first few weeks of having the phone. I tried SPB Mobile for a time and it was pretty good, but I have been just as happy with the WinMo today screen, and I don't have to pay for that. Don't need fancy stuff. Can look out the window to see the weather (we don't really have weather in SF, we just have fog ;) ) Don't use twitter, and rarely use FB (and the little I do, I can go through Opera and I'm happy enough for those 5 sec).

I forgot to mention that I did install the tweaks package, so I think that includes the no push internet? Maybe the SSK too? and a few other things that I know are mandatory (something about texts, which is something I use a lot of)

I am so tempted to try BNR on your suggestion, but am really afraid of regretting it and being back to where I started...it's fine to be playing with this stuff when you have free/downtime, but when work gets busy and you don't have the time, you just want it to WORK and not have to deal with all these failed attempts at something that should be standard on the phone (ie. the ability to remove Sprintcrap). A phone is supposed to make your life EASIER, not HARDER, eh?

I know your frustration, I was very similar the first couple of weeks with my phone (in which I spent way more time than I should have trying to figure out which was best). I'll once again break down for you what I have experienced.

1) SK Tools will only show the first 6 options for every menu until you pay, I think its $9.95. I'm not sure if TMS uninstaller will show the sprint stuff, but it is free and worth trying. I don't have sprint so I cannot say if SK Tools will work, but from what I know SK tools can do just about anything w/ your phone (pending you know what you are doing).

2) Since you don't use TF3D and SPB MS costs, I really think that you will like BNR. It literally strips windows down to the core. If you want some of the HTC features they are downloadable via his website, freeza-inc.com. As well on his post there is even optimal and lite set ups, where he tells you which CABs are suggested. Whats great is since this ROM is striped, you do not have to install any tweaks for it to run smooth (well I haven't yet). I can help you out on AIM if you have any questions about it and to maybe help ease your thoughts before you head into the process. If all goes well your phone should be back up in less than 30 minutes.

dumpringz 05-12-2010 06:01 PM

Wirelessly posted (Sprint TP2 6.5 stock: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.3521/870; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Quote:

Originally Posted by elephant007
He first has to be willing to reconcile with his phone
Sounds like he's to the point of giving up on his TP2
I too once had a TP2, now I have a Samsung Moment
The TP2 was given to my girlfriend and she loves it!

how is the samsung moment ? is that the one with the little square d-pad ?

nyCecilia 05-12-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burtonsnow8 (Post 1748053)
I know your frustration, I was very similar the first couple of weeks with my phone (in which I spent way more time than I should have trying to figure out which was best). I'll once again break down for you what I have experienced.

1) SK Tools will only show the first 6 options for every menu until you pay, I think its $9.95. I'm not sure if TMS uninstaller will show the sprint stuff, but it is free and worth trying. I don't have sprint so I cannot say if SK Tools will work, but from what I know SK tools can do just about anything w/ your phone (pending you know what you are doing).

2) Since you don't use TF3D and SPB MS costs, I really think that you will like BNR. It literally strips windows down to the core. If you want some of the HTC features they are downloadable via his website, freeza-inc.com. As well on his post there is even optimal and lite set ups, where he tells you which CABs are suggested. Whats great is since this ROM is striped, you do not have to install any tweaks for it to run smooth (well I haven't yet). I can help you out on AIM if you have any questions about it and to maybe help ease your thoughts before you head into the process. If all goes well your phone should be back up in less than 30 minutes.

A-ha, so that's what he meant by first 6! I read it as you could do 6 things before getting cut off. Sorry, I won't pay him until I know it works for sure. Off to try TMS, it sounds familiar but I can't recall if it was what worked before or what didn't work before. The worst that can happen at this point is that I'll have to start all over again.

You are sooooo sweet, thank you for the offer, if I don't get this phone going soon, I may take you up on it :) (at least you got the tears of frustration out of my eyes for now lol) My next tactics are 1. TMS, then 2. try to do BNR.

TBH, the day that I loooved my phone was one day I was driving to a site for work, GPS running, music blaring on PP, someone called me, the first two quitely suspended themselves, and I was even able to take notes and enter stuff in tasks and calendar while on the phone and the other two working properly! (yes, I did pull over to the side before taking notes lol) After the call hung up, GPS and PP faded back in oh so sweetly, it was heaven.

Of course this was just before my phone started butt-dialing and the rest of the mess kicked in, but there was that one day, and I remember it FULLY!

DomSim 05-12-2010 06:13 PM

my friend, you sound as picky as i am. i suggest you spend sometime learning how to back up all your settings then how to cook your own rom. most apps are configured through a settings file or through registry entries, both of which are very easy to backup and restore either post flash or be cooked in to your own rom. there are very easy to use kitchens around and there are ext packages for every one of your cabs you mentioned that you install. imagine this, you build a rom with every feature and program you want, newest version of windows mobile, newest version of manila, and no bloatware crap, and your rom boots for the first time after flashing with all your settings already applied. you build, flash, and enjoy. there is a lot to learn but once you get over the mountain its all clear skies.

horndoctor 05-12-2010 06:13 PM

Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

I think you just need to flash the original shipped 6.1 rom that came on your device. Maybe do it twice. Then I also recommend using sktools to remove what you want. You should be able to uninstall apps like the sprint stuff with sktools by going to the installed applications section and click on the right softkey and select settings and then scroll down and enable the option to show apps not listed as "installed." Then when you do a search they will come up.

If you have given up on your device then only a different device will make you happy. I doubt anyone can come up with a majic solution for you. You are gonna have to decide what you want and learn yourself. If you do then you will be much happier with your device. Good Luck! ;)

nyCecilia 05-12-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomSim (Post 1748075)
my friend, you sound as picky as i am. i suggest you spend sometime learning how to back up all your settings then how to cook your own rom. most apps are configured through a settings file or through registry entries, both of which are very easy to backup and restore either post flash or be cooked in to your own rom. there are very easy to use kitchens around and there are ext packages for every one of your cabs you mentioned that you install. imagine this, you build a rom with every feature and program you want, newest version of windows mobile, newest version of manila, and no bloatware crap, and your rom boots for the first time after flashing with all your settings already applied. you build, flash, and enjoy. there is a lot to learn but once you get over the mountain its all clear skies.

Ha, that's what this thing needs, a utility like Ghost where you can configure how you like everything, then make a 1-file backup of everything.

I'm not unwilling to learn stuff like that, I just don't have the time *right now*. AND it shouldn't be required in order to use a freakin' phone, a device that's supposed to make your life EASIER, not HARDER!

BTW, is it really picky to expect a phone not to make embarrassing butt-dialing calls? I didn't think so. None of what I have installed can be considered "picky" or "specialty" except maybe PocketPlayer and even that prog is pretty basic.

jerryyyyy 05-12-2010 06:23 PM

For my two cents, I would just flash the standard Sprint 6.5 ROM (which I use). If this does not basically work for you, you are really in trouble. Then would add in your apps one by one and one per day until you find the culprit.... I use the standard ROM and it is not the fastest but I am not constantly debugging either....

nyCecilia 05-12-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 1748076)
Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)
You should be able to uninstall apps like the sprint stuff with sktools by going to the installed applications section and click on the right softkey and select settings and then scroll down and enable the option to show apps not listed as "installed." Then when you do a search they will come up.

I'm not willing to pour even more money into this phone IF I have no guarantee that this little ap will work. And there is no way to even try to remove a single one without paying him.

It's a sucker's bet, and I've already been a sucker once.

To make it even worse, he limits you to viewing 6 items, and the 6th one is SKTools! C'mon, wanna prove to me it works? Then show me something other than the program itself! duh.

Yeah, the more frustrated I get, the more I am ready for a new phone. I just hate the thought of an iPhone, 'cause the evo is not out yet :(

burtonsnow8 05-12-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyCecilia (Post 1748067)
A-ha, so that's what he meant by first 6! I read it as you could do 6 things before getting cut off. Sorry, I won't pay him until I know it works for sure. Off to try TMS, it sounds familiar but I can't recall if it was what worked before or what didn't work before. The worst that can happen at this point is that I'll have to start all over again.

You are sooooo sweet, thank you for the offer, if I don't get this phone going soon, I may take you up on it :) (at least you got the tears of frustration out of my eyes for now lol) My next tactics are 1. TMS, then 2. try to do BNR.

TBH, the day that I loooved my phone was one day I was driving to a site for work, GPS running, music blaring on PP, someone called me, the first two quitely suspended themselves, and I was even able to take notes and enter stuff in tasks and calendar while on the phone and the other two working properly! (yes, I did pull over to the side before taking notes lol) After the call hung up, GPS and PP faded back in oh so sweetly, it was heaven.

Of course this was just before my phone started butt-dialing and the rest of the mess kicked in, but there was that one day, and I remember it FULLY!

If none of that other stuff works i'll be around :) We can work on getting your phone to be your phone again!!

DomSim 05-12-2010 06:33 PM

i said you were picky due to the rant about the bloatware. you know though, you could just delete the shortcuts from the start menu by going to windows\start menu\programs and delete what you dont want. the program will still be installed but you will not see it in your start menu.

horndoctor 05-12-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyCecilia
Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 1748076)
You should be able to uninstall apps like the sprint stuff with sktools by going to the installed applications section and click on the right softkey and select settings and then scroll down and enable the option to show apps not listed as "installed." Then when you do a search they will come up.

I'm not willing to pour even more money into this phone IF I have no guarantee that this little ap will work. And there is no way to even try to remove a single one without paying him.

It's a sucker's bet, and I've already been a sucker once.

To make it even worse, he limits you to viewing 6 items, and the 6th one is SKTools! C'mon, wanna prove to me it works? Then show me something other than the program itself! duh.

Yeah, the more frustrated I get, the more I am ready for a new phone. I just hate the thought of an iPhone, 'cause the evo is not out yet :(

I can tell you with my diamond ALL of the Sprint apps come up and I could uninstall them if I wanted to.
The thing is, you don't have to uninstall them to make your device work better. They are just there if you want to use them. You can also remove/stop processes using a utility like SKTools or even CleanRam to free up resources and speed things up.

nyCecilia 05-12-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomSim (Post 1748142)
i said you were picky due to the rant about the bloatware. you know though, you could just delete the shortcuts from the start menu by going to windows\start menu\programs and delete what you dont want. the program will still be installed but you will not see it in your start menu.

Yeah, I guess it is picky to rant about it. You've got a point. I'll try removing the shortcuts, didn't know you could do that, at least I won't have to see them ;)

It's just really frustrating, but you're right, don't take it out on people trying to help.

SORRY!!! (and thank you for trying to be helpful!!!)

DomSim 05-12-2010 06:49 PM

i guess im just biased to flashing as i myself am a complete flash-a-holic but i have over the last f'n 2 years and three different phones figured out how to backup pretty much everything. my rom i make boots 100% completely configured including bluetooth associations, email, saved logins for all programs, etc... yeah it took a long time but i share my info :) so if you would like to venture down that path or even just would like to know how to backup your settings with no plans of cooking a rom i would be glade to help. just tell me what you want to know how to backup and i will do my best to provide you the info.

nyCecilia 05-12-2010 06:56 PM

Thanks, Dom, maybe next week I'll have a little learning time...right now I'm just trying to *remember* what else I have to do, I think I got all the bluetooth services disabled, the shortcuts deleted (had I known it was that easy I would've done it months ago lol!!!), but now I just have to wait for all the little problems to crop up so I can fix them...ugggh. :-/

DomSim 05-12-2010 08:49 PM

sure, post up or feel free to pm me if you need help.

nrfitchett4 05-12-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyCecilia (Post 1747909)
I'm really getting fed up with my Sprint TP2. Some things it does really well, but the overall configuration is getting to me. I'm on (at least) my 5th time resetting everything, but I can't even begin to remember all that I did last time, all that I did last time that I don't want to do again, what new stuff I thought might work this time...in other words, it's just plain confusing and waaay too time consuming for a device that is supposed to make my life easier. I can't keep track of all this stuff anymore, and I am a neurotic note-taker/organizer.

I'm still on 6.1 because of all the problems I've read about here re: 6.5. I'm stuck with all sorts of sprint crap that I want to delete, but what I thought would help me get rid of the NFL program (why do I need that?????? Go away already!), the DotFred task manager, is too complicated. At one point I know I used it to disable bluetooth (which I have no use for but likes to slow down my phone) but can't even manage that with the version I have now, I'm completely lost on how to do that and don't remember how I did it before.

Then there's the butt dialing, which initially was solved with PocketShield, but now it seems that Pocketshield is SO effective that I can't even answer a call anymore. I have to turn the phone off then back on again and call the person back. HUH?????? (this recent hard reset is mostly an attempt to fix this)

I really did love my TP2 at one point, but right now I'm just trying my best to hold on until the EVO comes out and hope to all heck that it solves at least some of my problems. But right now I'm trying to put my phone back together sort of how I had it this morning, but without some of the stuff that became annoyances (my battery icon disappeared and I couldn't get it back, and AmazeGPS turned out to be horrible but it wouldn't delete itself properly either). So far I've spent my entire lunchtime, and I'm still not even close to there. Digging through threads on this forum and others...and trying to distinguish 6.1 progs from 6.5...I'll spend the whole day doing this :(

sounds like you need an iphone, instead of phone that requires some tweaking to optimize.
it just works, which seems to be what you need right now. also, try taking your phone out of your pocket, you'll probably just break the screen keeping it in there.
another vote for the iphone since it has a glass screen instead of plastic.

nrfitchett4 05-12-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyCecilia (Post 1748147)
Yeah, I guess it is picky to rant about it. You've got a point. I'll try removing the shortcuts, didn't know you could do that, at least I won't have to see them ;)

It's just really frustrating, but you're right, don't take it out on people trying to help.

SORRY!!! (and thank you for trying to be helpful!!!)

I thought you could just use file explorer (with the extender), go into the programs files and delete them?
guess I was wrong, but I happen to like sprint nav, tv, and football.

nyCecilia 05-12-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 (Post 1748597)
I thought you could just use file explorer (with the extender), go into the programs files and delete them?
guess I was wrong, but I happen to like sprint nav, tv, and football.

Actually, it turns out that you can, and I did. I just didn't know #-o

Now I just have to remember all the other stuff I did. :-/

nrfitchett4 05-12-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyCecilia (Post 1748702)
Actually, it turns out that you can, and I did. I just didn't know #-o

Now I just have to remember all the other stuff I did. :-/

it is really very easy to make a ROM using a Virtual kitchen with just what you want.
my current ROM has no titinium or sense, just mobile shell.
though, the evo does look sweet.... but i'm not jumping to android just yet. i'm a tweaker and need to be able to break my phone at least once a month to give me a reason to redo it!!!

I was serious about the iphone, for as much as I hate it, you can't knock the build quality of those things.

nyCecilia 05-12-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 (Post 1748578)
sounds like you need an iphone, instead of phone that requires some tweaking to optimize.
it just works, which seems to be what you need right now. also, try taking your phone out of your pocket, you'll probably just break the screen keeping it in there.
another vote for the iphone since it has a glass screen instead of plastic.

Seriously, I don't mind tweaking. But I feel like the amount of tweaking to get my phone to usable level has become craaaazy.

My phone stays in my purse most of the time, it's got a special slot, but somehow it butt-dials anyway (or purse-dials? it dials randomly, even when it's not in my purse, pocket, or whatever, I always seem to be on some screen or other without pressing anything, it even sometimes randomly changes my time zone).

hah, my comment about the iPhone is kinda sarcastic. First, I can't stand ATT, will NEVER give them another dime (not to mention that where I live service is beyond horrible), and I can't stand iTunes and will never install it on my pc. I do appreciate the glass screen comment, though, the screen on the tp2 isn't all that. And while iPhone may work out of the box, there are things that don't work quite right and it's not so easy to tweak at all. I just want a solution somewhere in-between: something that works well enough OTC, but that I can tweak a bit to get it to work just as I like it.

I suppose it's a love/hate relationship. When it's all put together, it's great, but the getting there has become too cumbersome.

Oh, and I couldn't do my music/gps/phone/evernote/calendar scenario on an iphone, and that's what made me love the tp2 to begin with.

nrfitchett4 05-12-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyCecilia (Post 1748723)
Seriously, I don't mind tweaking. But I feel like the amount of tweaking to get my phone to usable level has become craaaazy.

My phone stays in my purse most of the time, it's got a special slot, but somehow it butt-dials anyway (or purse-dials? it dials randomly, even when it's not in my purse, pocket, or whatever, I always seem to be on some screen or other without pressing anything, it even sometimes randomly changes my time zone).

hah, my comment about the iPhone is kinda sarcastic. First, I can't stand ATT, will NEVER give them another dime (not to mention that where I live service is beyond horrible), and I can't stand iTunes and will never install it on my pc. I do appreciate the glass screen comment, though, the screen on the tp2 isn't all that. And while iPhone may work out of the box, there are things that don't work quite right and it's not so easy to tweak at all. I just want a solution somewhere in-between: something that works well enough OTC, but that I can tweak a bit to get it to work just as I like it.

I suppose it's a love/hate relationship. When it's all put together, it's great, but the getting there has become too cumbersome.

Oh, and I couldn't do my music/gps/phone/evernote/calendar scenario on an iphone, and that's what made me love the tp2 to begin with.

i use the standard winmo/htc lock and have never had a problem with it unlocking itself. sometimes the screen wakes up with notifications, but it doesn't unlock the screen, then after 10min, it goes back to sleep (i hate my screen dimming when i'm messing with my phone, so i keep it pretty power heavy).
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...rspage5121.png
the one on the screen. no fancy lock programs.

boredandtattooed 05-12-2010 10:06 PM

OP, i feel for ya, i really do.. when i bought my first mogul back in the day, i hated trying things, cuz if they went badly, that meant a hard reset and man did it suck..i lurked on PPCG for months and months... asked rare questions and never contributed much... i built that name up a little bit.. then started on this one im on now when i got my first TP1...and now, though I have my overly critical/flamming moments, i try to be helpful as often as i have time to sit down and get on the site...Ill be honest, all this tweaking/hacking/modding, it isnt for part-timers really(lets face it, youve been on here a year and have fewposts for that amount of time-your a part-timer lol).. it takes alot of time, reading/studying, trial/error, etc.. even more so for the dedicated chefs and developers....

i hate to say this to you OP, but the source of your problems has nothing to do with kind of Device your using.. the Platform/OS your running.. the Harware its running(or lacking)... Or your Carrier.. its kind of your own fault dont ya think??... your going around making all these changes, and you, yourself say you cant keep up with everything your doing or remember it all... well thats kind of an issue wouldnt you think?? your not educating yourself on What your really doing, your just doing random things it seems like.. "Knowledge is King, in the world of Iliteracy"... people have 2 choice on this site on who they can be.. 1) a contributor, no matter what level 2) or someone who asks a zillion and one questions because they dont understand really what their doing, nor how to fix it if it goes wrong

backing things up is Modding/Tweaking/Hacking 101 lesson 1. Backing up is to save you the time and hassle of constantly having to redo every single little thing.. And to ease the transition from ROM to ROM or even hard reset to hard reset... and remember, anything stored on your mem card doesnt get erased so those apps,tweaks,etc all stay there, you just have to re-add the .ink whereever you like(theres even an app for that)

***i feel like if you took a little time and did some research and studying to:
-back up app reg entries(app for that)
-back up reg entries for all your settings(app for that)
-or- learn to use Sashimi or UC(user customization), sd_config, etc
then youd see that all these things we do, ie flash and all the hard resets from trying new things- its not bad at all.... i can Hard reset, or flash a new rom, and be up and runnin in 20minutes... without a PC or something like MS Myphone... and i probably have over 70things to install on my device*** (yes other readers, i realize i should just be cooking with that amount of modding involved-dont have the time for it lol)

**i hope nothing negative was takin from this OP, just trying to be real here**

nrfitchett4 05-12-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1748746)
OP, i feel for ya, i really do.. when i bought my first mogul back in the day, i hated trying things, cuz if they went badly, that meant a hard reset and man did it suck..i lurked on PPCG for months and months... asked rare questions and never contributed much... i built that name up a little bit.. then started on this one im on now when i got my first TP1...and now, though I have my overly critical/flamming moments, i try to be helpful as often as i have time to sit down and get on the site...Ill be honest, all this tweaking/hacking/modding, it isnt for part-timers really(lets face it, youve been on here a year and have fewposts for that amount of time-your a part-timer lol).. it takes alot of time, reading/studying, trial/error, etc.. even more so for the dedicated chefs and developers....

i hate to say this to you OP, but the source of your problems has nothing to do with kind of Device your using.. the Platform/OS your running.. the Harware its running(or lacking)... Or your Carrier.. its kind of your own fault dont ya think??... your going around making all these changes, and you, yourself say you cant keep up with everything your doing or remember it all... well thats kind of an issue wouldnt you think?? your not educating yourself on What your really doing, your just doing random things it seems like.. "Knowledge is King, in the world of Iliteracy"... people have 2 choice on this site on who they can be.. 1) a contributor, no matter what level 2) or someone who asks a zillion and one questions because they dont understand really what their doing, nor how to fix it if it goes wrong

backing things up is Modding/Tweaking/Hacking 101 lesson 1. Backing up is to save you the time and hassle of constantly having to redo every single little thing.. And to ease the transition from ROM to ROM or even hard reset to hard reset... and remember, anything stored on your mem card doesnt get erased so those apps,tweaks,etc all stay there, you just have to re-add the .ink whereever you like(theres even an app for that)

***i feel like if you took a little time and did some research and studying to:
-back up app reg entries(app for that)
-back up reg entries for all your settings(app for that)
-or- learn to use Sashimi or UC(user customization), sd_config, etc
then youd see that all these things we do, ie flash and all the hard resets from trying new things- its not bad at all.... i can Hard reset, or flash a new rom, and be up and runnin in 20minutes... without a PC or something like MS Myphone... and i probably have over 70things to install on my device*** (yes other readers, i realize i should just be cooking with that amount of modding involved-dont have the time for it lol)

**i hope nothing negative was takin from this OP, just trying to be real here**

not to hijack the thread, but what are you using to back up settings?

nyCecilia 05-12-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1748746)

I hear ya, and I hope I'm not taking it in a negative way, because I know there are people who do this, and it appears that I am one of them...but in my slow time, I do spend an inordinate amount of time reading this board and trying to get information, but some of the stuff just really seems waaay over my head at times, even if it might not be in reality. I find that in order to learn those things you have to do SO much digging, that you end up spinning your wheels half the time with false starts and wrong leads. If there were a one-stop shop, I mean a REAL one stop shop, not one where step 1, 2, 3 work fine, but then 4,5 don't, so you have to start all over, or so many caveats your head spins (this for Sprint, but this for verizon, but this for your sprint phone IF you've done this first and if not...) I know, the world isn't perfect, but the level of searching you have to do for the simplest thing is crazy. I mean, how much time do I need to devote to learn how to program a SmartPhone? and then I still need time to work on my pc, my network, XBMC, etc etc etc. I feel like my head is stuck in a machine sometimes.

As far as my participation on the board, I try to keep my mouth shut as much as possible about things I'm not sure of. I try to do my research before asking questions (today was a little out of the ordinary because I was stressing) so that I don't bother anyone or get a message saying "search is your friend." But if you look, you'll see that I've tried to contribute wherever possible (opinions on PocketShield back when it was working great for me, or even PocketPlayer, or giving out google-ish invites or whatever). Maybe not all the proof that you need that I've been reading like crazy, but I really have.

I do get where you're coming from, I can't stand it when someone asks me to fix their pc and then they say "oh, that was easy" and I think, well, you could've done it too all you had to do was READ and use google search a bit, but I try not to criticize because not everyone has the same level of competence for everything, and what am I gonna tell them, you're not qualified to own a PC?

As far as the tweaks I use, I don't think it's that many, or at least it started out as only a couple for things that *should* have come with the phone to begin with, but then I found that this didn't work right and that didn't work right and soon I had a bunch of band-aids that I shouldn't have needed to begin with (very few of which had to do with the fact that I installed PocketPlayer or Evernote lol).

Hope you're not offended by my response, but I really do disagree with your assertion that I haven't spent my time on this project.

boredandtattooed 05-12-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 (Post 1748750)
not to hijack the thread, but what are you using to back up settings?

i use sashimi and thats it.. it has its own section for getting all your reg backups.. does PIM backup(your contacts).. and will auto install all your cabs,xml(restore all your email accounts with 1 file),scripts,reg,root folders to your device, automatically for you once your run it.. its amazing, but does require some dedication to getting it all down and set-up just right.. after that, youll laugh at the idea of dreading a hard reset or a ROM switch..

**i txt a ton, over 8,000 a month usually, but i dont back them up.. it slows your phone down.. i could care less about em... so, i wanted to add that sashimi will not back up your texts**

just about everything youd wanna know about it, and backing things up, auto config, anything can be found here..http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=101422 warning, its alot of info and reading.. when it comes to sashimi though, theres 4 videos Youll probably wanna watch that will make it nice and silly simple for ya

clueless25 05-12-2010 10:38 PM

Well I Thinks you have to 1st realize.. stock roms are dummied up, and jamned with stuff thats "supposed" to draw a lot of different users. But you really should use custom roms, play with the different ones. Sounds more like you'd like a light rom.

seriously though, get ride of that stock rom, not the phone. It's a great phone once you gt what you really like on it

boredandtattooed 05-12-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyCecilia (Post 1748804)
I can't stand it when someone asks me to fix their pc and then they say "oh, that was easy" and I think, well, you could've done it too all you had to do was READ and use google search a bit, but I try not to criticize because not everyone has the same level of competence for everything, and what am I gonna tell them, you're not qualified to own a PC?

Hope you're not offended by my response, but I really do disagree with your assertion that I haven't spent my time on this project.

id say my assurtions pretty right on.. saying me and almost everyone in this thread so far has told you if you knew how to back things up and such, your life would be easier.... is there any reason you thought a smartphone was a simple device??? did you know that Carriers soemtime make their employees take classes on how to work a new device so they can assist the end user when they have questions and such.. maybe you should just go back to the Zach Morris phone and just keep a pen a paper in your purse as well for your notes because obviously this stuff is a little out of your league hunnie..

"Constantly talking ... isnt Communication" just because your reading, doesnt meaning your reading the right things.. or maybe improve your searching techniques, because were nearing the 1 yr mark of TP2s in a few months, theres little left that hasnt been discovered and plastered all over every modding site there is..

nyCecilia 05-13-2010 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1748849)
id say my assurtions pretty right on.. saying me and almost everyone in this thread so far has told you if you knew how to back things up and such, your life would be easier.... is there any reason you thought a smartphone was a simple device??? did you know that Carriers soemtime make their employees take classes on how to work a new device so they can assist the end user when they have questions and such.. maybe you should just go back to the Zach Morris phone and just keep a pen a paper in your purse as well for your notes because obviously this stuff is a little out of your league hunnie..

"Constantly talking ... isnt Communication" just because your reading, doesnt meaning your reading the right things.. or maybe improve your searching techniques, because were nearing the 1 yr mark of TP2s in a few months, theres little left that hasnt been discovered and plastered all over every modding site there is..

If you seriously feel this way, then instead of criticizing and mocking me, you should be pointing out exact threads/articles that I should be reading.

I've already done the searching thing, and apparently it hasn't worked. I've tried following threads. I've even ventured into the ROMS to see if I could glance at it and figure it out. My head spun. Everytime I got close to figuring it out, dead end. Here's how it goes: "Hey guys, this is great, do this!!! No, doesn't work for me. Works for me if I add in these 10 steps. No that screws everything up. I can do it this way, but it eats up all my battery. Oh, it'll work, but only on Thursday and every other Sunday. It works perfectly! What's wrong with you dummies? Made my phone send SMS death threats to everyone in my contact list, not working. Make sure you run this cab before you even try it! That cab caused a memory leak. No it can't possibly cause a memory leak, it's just not logical. No, my phone is hosed, have to go get an Android." Yeah, really simple, real useful, and definitely not a waste of time.

You know why WM is going away? Because it's difficult to work with, and there's a lot of people in the know that have this same poor attitude, just criticize the user, which certainly doesn't help build an end user base. (there's also a few that are very, very helpful, too ;)) You're not helping anyone this way.

nyCecilia 05-13-2010 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clueless25 (Post 1748824)
Well I Thinks you have to 1st realize.. stock roms are dummied up, and jamned with stuff thats "supposed" to draw a lot of different users. But you really should use custom roms, play with the different ones. Sounds more like you'd like a light rom.

seriously though, get ride of that stock rom, not the phone. It's a great phone once you gt what you really like on it

Yeah, I'm getting that ;) I'm committed...next day I have free I'm going to just go for it, if my phone gets fried, I don't even much care anymore.

pimpsuprazx 05-13-2010 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyCecilia (Post 1747909)

you can gimme your phone so no more stress.