PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   My screen only turns on when I take battery out and put back in, help please (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=120290)

LbC Ya562 05-05-2010 08:48 PM

My screen only turns on when I take battery out and put back in, help please

Ok, last week my phone started trippin' when the screen goes off it wont turn back on unless I take the battery out and put it back in. So basically the screen will stay on while texting or on a phone call in speaker mode (the screen goes off when u put it to your ear) Its getting REAL old putting the battery in and out. Does anyone have a solution or am I SOL? And since I have had 3 replacements in 1 year I cant get a replacement.. I'd have to pay the 100 deductable. Although I could do that, and then upgrade (Im due for one) and get a htc Hero.... I dunno guys. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Wesley762 05-05-2010 08:59 PM

Re: My screen only turns on when I take battery out and put back in, help please

Sounds like your just hard on your phone's. Does your power button work?

horndoctor 05-05-2010 09:01 PM

Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

I gather your power button doesn't work.
You could remap another hardware button to turn the screen back on.

LbC Ya562 05-05-2010 09:11 PM

Re: My screen only turns on when I take battery out and put back in, help please

LoL nooo Im not hard on it, The button works when I wanna turn the screen off, its the coming back on thats the problem lol. I WISH it was just the button

Wesley762 05-05-2010 09:15 PM

Have you tried a hard reset Yet. a lot of the time it cleans a lot of problems.

LbC Ya562 05-05-2010 09:32 PM

I was JUST thinking that too, Wesley!

horndoctor 05-05-2010 09:42 PM

Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Yeah, just do a hard reset or clear storage and you should be good. Hey, I would be glad that it's not a hardware problem. :D

Wesley762 05-05-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LbC Ya562 (Post 1737125)
I was JUST thinking that too, Wesley!

Well let us know if it fixes it lol.

dumpringz 05-05-2010 10:13 PM

Wirelessly posted (Sprint TP2 6.5 stock: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

dont be surprised at the possibility of a hard reset not clearing that issue. happened to me & hard resets wouldnt fix it .. but maybe u will b lucky

LbC Ya562 05-05-2010 10:17 PM

:( need I say more? LoL (Didnt work)

Wesley762 05-05-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LbC Ya562 (Post 1737186)
:( need I say more? LoL (Didnt work)

Sounds like a you might be heading to the repair shop :(

LbC Ya562 05-05-2010 11:11 PM

Yea, I hope theey can fix it

vzihome 05-06-2010 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LbC Ya562 (Post 1737032)
Ok, last week my phone started trippin' when the screen goes off it wont turn back on unless I take the battery out and put it back in. So basically the screen will stay on while texting or on a phone call in speaker mode (the screen goes off when u put it to your ear) Its getting REAL old putting the battery in and out. Does anyone have a solution or am I SOL? And since I have had 3 replacements in 1 year I cant get a replacement.. I'd have to pay the 100 deductable. Although I could do that, and then upgrade (Im due for one) and get a htc Hero.... I dunno guys. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Need to check my thread on SOD standyby of death. worked for me!

lefty11 05-06-2010 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LbC Ya562 (Post 1737032)

I had my phone replaced a while back and I am extremely gentle with my phone. My phone also started doing this afew weeks back but it seems to be more coincedentally after i installed the new Google maps or Nanogroove. I would ask first if you did either one of those apps also about that time you started having issues? (I run the Sprint 6.5 ROM). Also, next time it goes black and you cannot turn it on, try calling it or have someone call your number and see if it wakes up with a phone call. Mine will wake up this way and then I soft reset using PS shutxp. Please let me know if you have any of same characteristics. It is annoying but it does seem to be a software or OS conflict possibly. I can confirm if I turn my display off while google maps is running , often it will not turn back on. Obviously there is a good chance a hard reset would fix , but that's just wiping the issue with a fresh slate. It would be nice to find out what specifically is triggering the issue.

nxtech3 05-06-2010 08:45 AM

i dont think its software related well at least not only software. Ive seen a couple come in the SAR Center with this issue. Ive had to swap the TS on them. I did a HR on one three different ways and it still didnt help at all. But as long as there isnt and PD/LD to the device, a repair center should replace it for you.

mardukeme 05-06-2010 10:39 AM

I had the same problem earlier this week, it's not a software proble but a hardware one. Theystated that it had something to do with the display and connecting cable. Either way Sprint couldn't fix it and replaced it with a new phone.

vzihome 05-06-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mardukeme (Post 1737776)
I had the same problem earlier this week, it's not a software proble but a hardware one. Theystated that it had something to do with the display and connecting cable. Either way Sprint couldn't fix it and replaced it with a new phone.

If its not software related why does it work after battery is reinserted?

nxtech3 05-06-2010 05:19 PM

the same reason when a Rant or Rumor comes in with a white screen and you pull the battery back in and it powers up just fine until you start messing with it, then it goes back to messing up. Something in the hardware, like the flex cable.

vzihome 05-06-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nxtech3 (Post 1738515)
the same reason when a Rant or Rumor comes in with a white screen and you pull the battery back in and it powers up just fine until you start messing with it, then it goes back to messing up. Something in the hardware, like the flex cable.

Still dont make sense shouldnt it do it all the time messing with it like you said...and not only when screen goes off like OP posted. He said as long as screen doesnt go out its ok, he can text and make calls(speaker phone). Not a tech so i dont know

Scotty_Two 05-06-2010 06:21 PM

had this same exact issue happen with mine a few months back.

there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

take it in to a sprint store that can repair phones and they will tell you that they have no idea what's wrong with it either (meaning you will get a replacement phone at no cost to you). until then, set your phone to never go into standby mode after a certain time, keep the backlight as dimmed as possible, and try to keep it plugged in as much as possible.

it sucks but at least you will get a new(er) phone out of it.

lefty11 05-06-2010 09:10 PM

speaking with Sprint Advanced support now, she is telling me to do a hard reset (which I have done) she is telling me that doing the hard reset with the code will be different and should correct my issue...jeez.. I am humoring her and going into the EPST settings to reset .. all she could tell me is that this is different than all the other hard resets and should fix it. I asked her what made this different and her answer was " sir, I am an advanced support tech and worked on a lot of these phones and this always fixes the problem" LOL , I asked her how this was technically different and she couldnt answer. I asked for an advance exchange and she said I had reached my maximum number of exchanges in the last 12 months...(one ?????) I asked her what the max was and she couldnt or wouldnt answer. I am amazed every time I call Sprint....I guess now i have to just wait and take it to the SAR center and go through that ordeal.....

horndoctor 05-07-2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefty11
speaking with Sprint Advanced support now, she is telling me to do a hard reset (which I have done) she is telling me that doing the hard reset with the code will be different and should correct my issue...jeez.. I am humoring her and going into the EPST settings to reset .. all she could tell me is that this is different than all the other hard resets and should fix it. I asked her what made this different and her answer was " sir, I am an advanced support tech and worked on a lot of these phones and this always fixes the problem" LOL , I asked her how this was technically different and she couldnt answer. I asked for an advance exchange and she said I had reached my maximum number of exchanges in the last 12 months...(one ?????) I asked her what the max was and she couldnt or wouldnt answer. I am amazed every time I call Sprint....I guess now i have to just wait and take it to the SAR center and go through that ordeal.....

LOL
:bs:

ricky0254 05-07-2010 02:47 AM

I've had the same exact issue since last week too.. I tried hard reset, provision reset, flashing different roms. nothing worked so I went to the repair center : at first the tech told me nothings wrong (thats because he had just restarted the phone and screen was on), then I hit the power off button and told him to turn it back on.. they ended up ordering me a new one

nrfitchett4 05-07-2010 03:37 AM

yes tech support always amazes me. i had my clearwire 4g usb stick acting up the last couple of months, it would quit working, requiring either a reset from clear or for me to uninstall and reinstall software. didn't work the other night so I called clear to get a replacement, and the stupid female dog on the other end wanted to walk me through all the "fixes" I had spent all night doing. So I not so politely told her to look at the notes on my acct, see the 5 online chats I had done the night before and then to come back and give me a real solution to my problem.

She sent me a new usb stick overnight.

lefty11 05-07-2010 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 (Post 1739309)
yes tech support always amazes me. i had my clearwire 4g usb stick acting up the last couple of months, it would quit working, requiring either a reset from clear or for me to uninstall and reinstall software. didn't work the other night so I called clear to get a replacement, and the stupid female dog on the other end wanted to walk me through all the "fixes" I had spent all night doing. So I not so politely told her to look at the notes on my acct, see the 5 online chats I had done the night before and then to come back and give me a real solution to my problem.

She sent me a new usb stick overnight.

LOL, obviously this wasnt the tech(use the term loosely) named Methelia....funny how most times you can tell right out of the box from their tone of voice , which tech is really going to be able to help and takes pride in helping or solving problems , and the ones who I think are just there to collect a paycheck. Sorry, didn't mean to drag this way off base

BTW: I thought I would add, in addition to the SOD issue, at the same time i began having that issue, I also randomly get instances where my volume goes inop/muted, even though the control shows volume turned up. I have to do a soft reset to get ot back on. Wonder if anyone else had same experience.

dbldwn02 05-09-2010 06:51 PM

Add me to the list of Fubar phones. What the heck?! I never dropped my phone or nutting. I had an aux cable plugged into it listening to my beatz on my boombox and then I try to turn the screen on to switch off of the stupid lady gaga song that somehow made it onto my phone. ??? And pow! No screen for you! I did the hard reset and same problem. I can still receive e-mails and such. I just can't see them. I tried pulling the stylus and it makes the key lights go on but no alas, no screen still. Only when I soft reset, does it work. No need to pull the battery. What I don't understand is, how does the same button, that turns it off, not turn it back on?! It's crazy. Has to be a software problem...but it can't be.

LADY GAGA KILLED MY PHONE!

Oh and to top it all off, I'm deployed to Afghanistan right now using a hajji sim card. How long do you think it would take for Sprint to send one here? I hate my life.

NYC Guy 05-10-2010 08:45 AM

I also have the SOD issue. There was another thread on this board that recommended that you update both the PRL and the Profile and then do a soft reset. I did this yesterday morning and so far have been ok. I hope that I haven't jinxed myself. :lol:

phony01 05-10-2010 03:40 PM

Earlier this year I was getting the SOD, seemingly from out of nowhere. I started uninstalling any recent cabs I added until this was no longer an issue. I can't remember exactly which cab gave me the problems, but I wanna say it was some sort of audio booster.

NYC Guy 05-10-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phony01 (Post 1743939)
Earlier this year I was getting the SOD, seemingly from out of nowhere. I started uninstalling any recent cabs I added until this was no longer an issue. I can't remember exactly which cab gave me the problems, but I wanna say it was some sort of audio booster.

Was this running the 6.1 ROM or the 6.5 ROM?

dbldwn02 05-10-2010 04:00 PM

Stock 6.5 on mine. And it's not a cab problem either. I've done two hard resets and before I install anything it still has the same problem. So it HAS to be a hardware problem which doesn't make sense since it can turn the phone off. Pulling the stylus doesn't work and sliding the keyboard is just as futile. The EVO is looking better and better every day. Just need to make it another couple months. It's going to be rough.

steel187 05-10-2010 06:36 PM

I was on my way to trade my phone in due to "standby of death". B4 going to the store, I figured I would flash back to stock VZW rom and hard reset to manufacturer original configuration (for warranty purposes), which accidentally SOLVED my problem lol.

I was running MightyROM with BG tweak, which may or may not have been causing the issue.

Either way, I guess vzihome was right with his thread.

I'm afraid to go back to MightyROM and/or BG tweak after the whole ordeal though.

NYC Guy 05-10-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYC Guy (Post 1743218)
I also have the SOD issue. There was another thread on this board that recommended that you update both the PRL and the Profile and then do a soft reset. I did this yesterday morning and so far have been ok. I hope that I haven't jinxed myself. :lol:

Well I jinxed myself and encountered the SOD again tonight! :x

Calmiche 05-10-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefty11 (Post 1739341)
funny how most times you can tell right out of the box from their tone of voice

Not that funny. Techs who don't know what they are talking about are just reading off their screens.

Real techs who understand the technology speak like human beings. It's always refreshing to get one of those. I've had really good luck with Verizon's techs recently. Heck, one of them told me to come here.

lefty11 05-11-2010 03:34 PM

It would just be nice if Sprint would acknowledge there are issues. Way too many people here experiencing SOD issue. Not to mention the countless others who are unaware of these forums such as a coworker of mine who I spoke with did not ecen realize he had an issue and was just living with it. It only seems to be after 6.5 , and lot of speculation about file remnants causing this. It really sucks when you speak to multiple techs and they always tell you: we have never heard of that problem" , of course it's not really like they are gonna fix it. It must be easy to rise quickly in the Sprint service tech ranks if you have any kind of brains.

phony01 05-11-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYC Guy (Post 1743956)
Was this running the 6.1 ROM or the 6.5 ROM?

It is running 6.5.

lion75y 05-11-2010 06:07 PM

Looks like what your problem with your phone is the lack of memory, but it actually has to do something with the actual WM6.5.. Do you text alot?? I ask this because something like that happens to my phone when I text alot it start getting slow when moving from the text screen to another page and usually it frezes and if it turn of or stand by its hard to turn it on unless I do what u talking aobut... So if you text alot I will recomend to erase ur text messages because WM6.5 has an issue with storing text messages in your device. It usually starts to get slow and everything once you reach around 500 or more

NYC Guy 05-11-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lion75y (Post 1746233)
Looks like what your problem with your phone is the lack of memory, but it actually has to do something with the actual WM6.5.. Do you text alot?? I ask this because something like that happens to my phone when I text alot it start getting slow when moving from the text screen to another page and usually it frezes and if it turn of or stand by its hard to turn it on unless I do what u talking aobut... So if you text alot I will recomend to erase ur text messages because WM6.5 has an issue with storing text messages in your device. It usually starts to get slow and everything once you reach around 500 or more

I am not a heavy text type user so that would negate your culprit & theory.

dbldwn02 05-21-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYC Guy (Post 1746795)
I am not a heavy text type user so that would negate your culprit & theory.

Yea, and I'm in Afghanistan where I never text or call anyone. Just use data. And then this crap starts happening. Where's there a Sprint Repair Center in Afghanistan that won't try to kill me for swapping out my phone. haha.

I was using stock 6.5 listening to music when it started happening. Does anyone else notice the sprint startup logo freezing when you reboot your phone. It gets stuck halfway through and then it starts loading windows. Something is seriously wrong with this phone. Can't wait for the EVO. I've locked unlocked flashed and reflashed. Nothing is working.

Q_Q 05-21-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefty11 (Post 1745924)
It would just be nice if Sprint would acknowledge there are issues. Way too many people here experiencing SOD issue. Not to mention the countless others who are unaware of these forums such as a coworker of mine who I spoke with did not ecen realize he had an issue and was just living with it. It only seems to be after 6.5 , and lot of speculation about file remnants causing this. It really sucks when you speak to multiple techs and they always tell you: we have never heard of that problem" , of course it's not really like they are gonna fix it. It must be easy to rise quickly in the Sprint service tech ranks if you have any kind of brains.

Well, I've never heard of the problem till today & I'm on this board 8 hrs a day.
Never had it happen in all my time since updating to 6.5
Let not gross over generalize something that has happened to a small minority of ppl & then call other ppl brainless.
That's quite unfair.

pokerpot 05-21-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q_Q (Post 1766530)
Well, I've never heard of the problem till today & I'm on this board 8 hrs a day.
Never had it happen in all my time since updating to 6.5
Let not gross over generalize something that has happened to a small minority of ppl & then call other ppl brainless.
That's quite unfair.

I don't know how you could have missed people talking about the SOD, it was even a story featured on the main page. It may be a minority, but I don't think it's a small minority.

My phone has been doing this since the 6.5 upgrade - constantly. It's incredibly frustrating.