PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   **BLACK HOLE 4 ANYTHING: WM 6-7, Android, sense, opinions, general gripes, off topic* (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119324)

JHComputerGuy 04-26-2010 10:16 PM

**BLACK HOLE 4 ANYTHING: WM 6-7, Android, sense, opinions, general gripes, off topic*

Ok, we all (most of us) know that WM7 will not work on our TP2. But I have noticed on a lot of threads asking if WM7 will work or not work on the TP2 and in other threads, people tend to go off subject and give their opinions about what they like and dislike about WM7 and even WM6. Then some don't agree and retaliate back and people go back and forth, totally straying from whatever the main subject was of the thread to begin with.

So I decided to start this thread. I challenge everyone, if you are reading a thread and someone gives their opinion, gripes or bashing about anything that strays away from the subject or if you want to respond to their remarks, remember this thread and reference it. Come here and state ANY opinions, gripes, bashing, etc. so other threads can stay on subject and people don't have to read through pages and pages of opinions and bickering in order to find one answer to a question.

State your OPINIONS, GRIPES, ETC. here. State anything you want. I don't care if this thread goes off topic in any way. Better this thread goes off topic and leave the other informative threads on topic.

I stress an opinion is what you think of something and is not right or wrong so there should be no reason for bickering back and forth for stating what you think or believe.

I don't know if this post will go anywhere but I want to try to help people that really questions answered be able to get that by having a thread where opinions can be stated and free up other threads.

SO POST YOUR OPINIONS, GRIPES, ETC., HERE AND LET ALL THE OTHER POSTS STAY ON TOPIC. AND REMEMBER NO ONE SHOULD BE RIGHT OR WRONG IN AN OPINION, PEOPLE BELIEVE WHAT THEY WANT.

__________________________________________________ _____

Please hit thanks if i have helped or you think this is a good idea.

nrfitchett4 04-27-2010 02:57 AM

Re: ****DISCUSSION: WM 6, 6.1, 6.5, 6.5.x, 7 opinions, KEEP OTHER THREADS ON SUBJECT*

I like cheese! (to go with all the wine about to flow in here)

horndoctor 04-27-2010 03:21 AM

Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Windows Phone 7 will not work on the Touch Pro 2. I think this has been asked and answered many times. The only way it might work is if someone took the WP7 os and de-tuned it so it would work with slower hardware.
Good Luck with that! ;)

darren.wlsn1 04-27-2010 03:26 AM

Re: ****DISCUSSION: WM 6, 6.1, 6.5, 6.5.x, 7 opinions, KEEP OTHER THREADS ON SUBJECT*

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 (Post 1721550)
I like cheese!

why even post

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 1721570)
Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)
Windows Phone 7 will not work on the Touch Pro 2. I think this has been asked and answered many times. The only way it might work is if someone took the WP7 os and de-tuned it so it would work with slower hardware.
Good Luck with that! ;)

+1 wp7 is nasty looking anyhow

horndoctor 04-27-2010 03:36 AM

Yeah, from what I've seen so far it looks fugly! :angry7:

nrfitchett4 04-27-2010 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 1721573)
why even post

+1 wp7 is nasty looking anyhow

out of 16k posts, I'm sure you've never posted sarcasm!!!

QMeli907 04-27-2010 07:00 AM

I'm rockin 6.5

I wish it was 6.5.x, but until Mighty comes out with it (maybe after his 2,000,000 views?) then I'll be content with my 6.5

ajac 04-27-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHComputerGuy (Post 1721135)
Ok, we all (most of us) know that WM7 will not work on our TP2. But I have noticed on a lot of threads asking if WM7 will work or not work on the TP2 and in other threads, people tend to go off subject and give their opinions about what they like and dislike about WM7 and even WM6. Then some don't agree and retaliate back and people go back and forth, totally straying from whatever the main subject was of the thread to begin with.

So I decided to start this thread. I challenge everyone, if you are reading a thread and someone gives their opinion about something that strays away from the subject or if you want to respond to their opinion, remember this thread and reference it. Come here and state opinions so other threads can stay on subject and people don't have to read through pages and pages of opinions and bickering in order to find one answer to a question.

State your OPINIONS here. I stress an opinion is what you think of something and is not right or wrong so there should be no reason for bickering back and forth for stating what you think or believe.

I don't know if this post will go anywhere but I want to try to help people that really questions answered be able to get that by having a thread where opinions can be stated and free up other threads.

SO POST YOUR OPINIONS HERE AND LET ALL THE OTHER POSTS STAY ON SUBJECT. AND REMEMBER NO ONE SHOULD BE RIGHT OR WRONG IN AN OPINION, PEOPLE BELIEVE WHAT THEY WANT.

it will be hacked in even if it wont work well win phone 7 that is

darren.wlsn1 04-27-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 (Post 1721588)

if the op asks me not to i dont.

champ052005 04-27-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QMeli907 (Post 1721644)
I'm rockin 6.5

I wish it was 6.5.x, but until Mighty comes out with it (maybe after his 2,000,000 views?) then I'll be content with my 6.5

Mighty does. Impact. Look it up on his website in the projects section. It works awesome

QMeli907 04-27-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champ052005 (Post 1722372)
Mighty does. Impact. Look it up on his website in the projects section. It works awesome

I used to run this for a long time but his latest Official ROM is 6.5 and MUCH faster and smoother than his one running 6.5.x, so that's the one I will use until one comes out that just as fast

JHComputerGuy 04-27-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 (Post 1721550)
I like cheese! (to go with all the wine about to flow in here)

Hey, whining is fine.. As long as it is in this thread and keeps other threads on subject..

mlin 04-27-2010 07:24 PM

Would a WP7 port to a TP2 be legal? I know that we have already paid for versions of WM 6.X but to me this seems a little less legit. Just because I purchased Vista does not mean I am entitled to a copy of Windows 7 for free unless MS is willing to directly give me a copy and the rights to it. Thoughts?

Wesley762 04-27-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 1723026)
Would a WP7 port to a TP2 be legal? I know that we have already paid for versions of WM 6.X but to me this seems a little less legit. Just because I purchased Vista does not mean I am entitled to a copy of Windows 7 for free unless MS is willing to directly give me a copy and the rights to it. Thoughts?

I don't think it would be, you know how the Mighty M$ always wants it's cut. I am not condoning it just saying. It would be a pretty fine line, but the chances of MS coming and knocking down your front door would be pretty slim. I think that the worst that would happen would be MS makes them take it off the site if they disagreed with it.

JHComputerGuy 05-21-2010 08:22 PM

Geez, Windows Mobile I have just about had it with you and your problems.. I might just have to get the Evo when it comes out and not look back.. I just don't really know that WM7 can save Windows Mobile..

Kliptik 05-21-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHComputerGuy (Post 1766754)
Geez, Windows Mobile I have just about had it with you and your problems.. I might just have to get the Evo when it comes out and not look back.. I just don't really know that WM7 can save Windows Mobile..

Honestly, I think it's all gonna be about marketing as far as what WP7 does for Microsoft. Look at Apple... Much as I hate to admit it, when they launched the iPod, they weren't the first (or even the best) MP3 player on the market. So what did they do? They made it "cool" to have an iPod. now it doesnt matter what the competition can do as far as functionality, because nobody wants to be "uncool" with something besides an iPod.

I think Microsoft needs to get on the ball with marketing WP7, because I've looked into WP7 and as far as capability, it's amazing (besides no copy/paste <---WTC?) what it can do.

boredandtattooed 05-21-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHComputerGuy (Post 1766754)

after what i saw the last 2 days out of the Google I/O, MS' mobile prgram is about to take a back seat permanantly..... Google has a far greater vision than MS has ever had... MS isnt careful and theyll lose more than just the mobile phone battle... if they didnt have the windows OS, theyd be gone already IMO

xjack 05-22-2010 06:09 PM

From the sounds and early indications of what WP7 is going to be, I'm thinking...

Who cares if WP7 will run on the TP2? Sounds like a neutered version of the current stuff that's out there. Reminds me a lot in design and scope of that unmentionable fruity phone OS. Maybe I haven't read or seen enough of it, but it looks like while WP7 does more out of the box, the current WinMo versions offer more features and compatibility for my needs.

I'll ride WinMo 6.5 out until my new-every-two comes due (about 18 months from now) and then evaluate the best option for me. It may still be the TP2. Heck, I only just retired my Treo 700w a short while ago.

The realistic timeframe for WP7 with any amount of market traction is 2 years. That's assuming MS markets it correctly and it works well. If they can't launch it right or it's flakey, then it will fail.

IMHO, MS should be considering a beat-em/join-em/buy-em philosophy. HP made a great move with their acquisition of Palm, but they'll probably fumble it for awhile like they did with Compaq.

MS needs to work closer with device builders to build its phones, so that WP7 will come off to the public as a real option.

pmeunier 05-22-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 (Post 1721588)

SWEET!!!!!! only 6 posts in and already off topic..... must be some sort of a record!!!!!:headbang:

nrfitchett4 05-23-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmeunier (Post 1768219)
SWEET!!!!!! only 6 posts in and already off topic..... must be some sort of a record!!!!!:headbang:

I do try!!!:twisted:

Kliptik 05-23-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmeunier (Post 1768219)

But isn't this the "Off-Topic" Topic thread...? We get off-topic in here, so all the othr threads stay on topic!!!

Just sayin...

clueless25 05-23-2010 05:00 PM

Personally, I think it's going to flop. Win7 is not only ugly, win7 for regular pc's arent even compatible with most offices and those that rely on employee's to access information.

It might bode well for them not to bitch about reverse engineering of win 7 to keep win popular with users. Giving the advanvces of other OS's out there, I think it would be against microsoft to fight keeping their phone alive. Im not saying that winmo phones will ever dissapear, but doesnt seem like they are keeping in step neither. Buying winmo7 you loose a lot of programs untill and when they catch up to everyday users choice of programs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesley762 (Post 1723232)
I don't think it would be, you know how the Mighty M$ always wants it's cut. I am not condoning it just saying. It would be a pretty fine line, but the chances of MS coming and knocking down your front door would be pretty slim. I think that the worst that would happen would be MS makes them take it off the site if they disagreed with it.

Wesley762 05-23-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clueless25 (Post 1769197)
Personally, I think it's going to flop. Win7 is not only ugly, win7 for regular pc's arent even compatible with most offices and those that rely on employee's to access information.

It might bode well for them not to bitch about reverse engineering of win 7 to keep win popular with users. Giving the advanvces of other OS's out there, I think it would be against microsoft to fight keeping their phone alive. Im not saying that winmo phones will ever dissapear, but doesnt seem like they are keeping in step neither. Buying winmo7 you loose a lot of programs untill and when they catch up to everyday users choice of programs.

Completely on the same page with you. really I think the survival of WP7 is going to be in advertising and marketing which MS has never been good at. I think if it can be reworked and the ability to create custom ROM for it will be a huge advantage for it.

wwjclemd 05-27-2010 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kliptik (Post 1769135)
But isn't this the "Off-Topic" Topic thread...? We get off-topic in here, so all the othr threads stay on topic!!!

Just sayin...

I think you are correct... This thread is kinda like the black hole of BS/Offtopic/Complaint posts. Hopefully this sucks in all of the useless posts so that other threads can stay on topic.

Great Idea!!!!!

On that note, I HATE SPAM!!!
(Both the meat and the mail)

Oh yea... and I wish I had an afro like this guy-------->:rr:

frazell 05-27-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1766795)
after what i saw the last 2 days out of the Google I/O, MS' mobile prgram is about to take a back seat permanantly..... Google has a far greater vision than MS has ever had... MS isnt careful and theyll lose more than just the mobile phone battle... if they didnt have the windows OS, theyd be gone already IMO

I wrote a blog post on this very subject titled Where is Microsoft?

As I agree with you. Microsoft is missing from every growing market and the way things are shaking up even Windows itself is at risk. Either way, if they loose mobile they are already going to loose the future since that is where almost all tech device growth is expected to be.

They really needed to get Windows Phone 7 right. They dropped the ball hard on it though. I'm a big Microsoft fan, but they just plain dropped the ball here. They can't sell the iPhone with their name on it. They had to compete properly with Google's Android and offer an OS that was powerful for businesses and consumers while supporting OEMs. They just plained messed this one up.

Even if they do get "good" sales they have restricted OEMs so much they will have a strong disincentive to even make Windows Phone 7 hardware at all...

It just seems to me Windows Phone 7 is going to be Microsoft's Vista of the mobile world. Hopefully they can bounce back though and come out with a Windows 7 like OS (much loved) with Windows Phone 8...

It is going to be crazy when I replace my Touch Pro 2 with something that isn't running Windows Mobile on it. Just crazy.

JHComputerGuy 05-27-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwjclemd (Post 1776695)
I think you are correct... This thread is kinda like the black hole of BS/Offtopic/Complaint posts. Hopefully this sucks in all of the useless posts so that other threads can stay on topic.

Great Idea!!!!!

On that note, I HATE SPAM!!!
(Both the meat and the mail)

Oh yea... and I wish I had an afro like this guy-------->:rr:

Exactly!! That is what i had in mind when i started this thread..

JHComputerGuy 05-31-2010 12:02 AM

Re: **BLACK HOLE 4 ANYTHING: WM 6-7, Android, sense, opinions, general gripes, off to

hmmm.. MaxSense just might save Windows Mobile.. Just maybe..

AndroidTroll 05-31-2010 12:48 AM

Re: **BLACK HOLE 4 ANYTHING: WM 6-7, Android, sense, opinions, general gripes, off to

surprise! Windows 7 mobile will work on practically all the current handsets besides the older ones with no qualcomn cpus. It a matter of time when the port happens. Take Android Os as a example. Ppl said it wont work unless its a droid phone but here we are running android at about 90%. All we have to do is start working on it ASAP! Lets all get on our cars and head over to Safeway or your local gvrocery store and start mass purchasing all the tin foil paper we can murtard! And let "Operation Planet x Tin Hat" commence! Once we have enough tin hats we can reach Niburo! And they who speak in lizard tounjge shall show us the wm7 way! lalalallalallalalallallalala!!!

The Machinist 05-31-2010 09:53 AM

Do we really need faster processors and more RAM or do we need more efficient software? ...there's something to marinade on... I've been using MaxSense for less than a day and overall performace is blazing fast, and I've got it pretty loaded up with a bunch of crap. Sure its buggy, its the first freaking release! Now I'm asking myself is there anything these dev's can't do?! ...well I haven't seen an attempt to port the iPhony os yet...of course who would want that crap?!

Kliptik 05-31-2010 08:34 PM

We sell boxes!!!

^ to keep up the randomness of the thread...

JHComputerGuy 06-03-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kliptik (Post 1784105)
We sell boxes!!!

Nice, keep it up.. :toothy7:

Wesley762 06-03-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kliptik (Post 1784105)
We sell boxes!!!

We don't need any stinking boxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just playing.

What we do need is a TP2 with a 1.2Ghz Dual core with triple the memory and we would be set lol.

redd214 06-03-2010 09:58 PM

i posted this in another thread, its more about microsoft as a whole but i think it will find a good home in this thread :D

heres my take (sorry for the length)

i can agree that wm(wp7 whatever) will never gain back the marketshare it once enjoyed but i think microsoft as a whole is in trouble as well. there just isnt enough innovation and synergy between all their product lines.

as much as people on this site rag on apple/macs/iphones, no one can deny that they know what theyre doing. as draconian as some of their policies are itunes really is an awesome concept. phone/mp3 player/tablet/mac all plug into the same ecosystem. with microsoft you have some much different crap that doesnt work together its ridiculous. windows live, zune, xbox (live), wm all are pretty much on thier own for the most part with no real connection to one another.

look at google EVERYTHING works together. all the google apps, android, chrome, all one big happy seamless family. m$ is trying i guess to bring everything under one roof with wp7 but i was just reading that there will be 2 markets, one for zune & apps and a whole different one for xbox live. granted people in the know (us) probably wont have an issue with it but for the avg yuppie iphone user (which is who they want) it really isnt gonna cut it.

next indicator of the fall of babylon is the kin phones. now i fully understand who these phones are marketed for but really come on m$. we were hearing about the 'project pink' phones for what like 3 yrs and this is the result?!?! are they smartphones or feature phones? seems like they have an identity crisis. but with now 'apps', no market, very little integration with their other brands, what kind of success can they really expect from these. add in the fact that you are looking at a minimum $70 or $80 plan for a phone marketed to teens that are most likely on their parents plan and you have a recipe for massive amounts of fail.

and whether any of us care to acknowledge it or not the ipad has brought tablets to the forefront and imo its no fad, their gonna be around and they will get better. then they decide to kill off one of their most anticipated projects, the courier, wtf microsoft. then a couple days ago one of their vps saying it was too early to say tablets will catch on and become a valid and unique segment of the PC market. well if you wait to see if they catch on by then its too late dummy! the ipad sold 2 million in 2 months, every day it seems theres a new tablet being talked about running android, yeah i think theyll catch on steve.

another thing to add in after seeing that. marketing. apple=amazing, google=getting there, microsoft=meh... as much as i hated those theres an app for that commercials they were highly effective, str8 forward, to the point. those winmo commericals the had with people in "excel" and "word" costumes were just plain bizzare

sorry for the doom n gloom essay but i think the redmond folk are in some trouble over the next few years and it goes way beyond just windows mobile 6.5.111993030....

PropagandaX 06-03-2010 10:03 PM

wm7 sucks. I dont need to see anymore. Everything i have seen is crap..."Ay" i feel so much better now.

Wesley762 06-03-2010 10:04 PM

Great writeup. reminds me of those MSN watches those things where just well ya.

redd214 06-03-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesley762 (Post 1790329)
Great writeup. reminds me of those MSN watches those things where just well ya.

thank you, and to think all that came to me on the crapper one day lol! isnt that always where the best ideas come from hahah

one80oneday 06-03-2010 10:55 PM

Only 128mb RAM required?

If they can release windows phone 7 in India which only requires 128mb of RAM, why couldn't it run on TP2?
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/5808152.cms

joe50000 06-03-2010 11:22 PM

What really irks me about WinMo is that just when the platform was on the cusp of reaching the masses with widespread adoption by consumers (and not just business users), easier app installation as well as a marketplace, and some great apps from Microsoft (Bing has replaced Google Maps on my phone), they're dropping it for an entirely new platform that requires abandoning all outdated hardware that could probably run the new OS very easily. WinMo tends to run slower on new phones bc it was never written explicitly to take advantage of the hardware. The apps on my TP2 range from spectacular to outright shameful. It's sad to see such a good piece of hardware face so limitations because of crippled software. and to be left behind when the next great software revolution happens is just salt in the wound.

wud_e 06-04-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1766795)

Problem with that theory is that there is this nice little console known as the XBOX 360 which is the second place console behind the Wii.

wud_e 06-04-2010 12:20 AM

Re: Only 128mb RAM required?

Quote:

Originally Posted by one80oneday (Post 1790418)
If they can release windows phone 7 in India which only requires 128mb of RAM, why couldn't it run on TP2?
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/5808152.cms

Doesn't mention the CPU/GPU specs.