PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Played with HD2 today and -hmm (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=113215)

pesok 03-06-2010 03:46 PM

Played with HD2 today and -hmm

IF you search my posts i was always uber excited about HD2 coming to US(and tooting Sprint's horn for getting it first), well since T-Mobiles users horns apparently were louder - i crawled into my hole admitting defeat. I have seen HD2 in person in europe before but few day ago my friend from Russia was visiting Boston and brought along his HD2. I was super excited to play with it for 3 whole days(he was using my moto razr while here anyways) and i must say - it is amazingly impressive device, the screen is just superb, huge and clear as day. Very snappy(it was running SPB Mobile Shell + Sense via detacher), 3d animations didnt lag once. Very thin and still comfy to hold in your hand. Looks absolutely like something you would imagine on the spaceship. And boy does it ever turn heads! I have had about dozen people ask me what kind of phone it was, and even one girl wanted to take a picture of it(in exchange for her phone #-she took a pic but i didnt tak the # though). Well today i took Dimitry to the airport and along with him went the exquisite HD2 on the way back to motha-Russia. So whats my final verdict after spending 3 glorious days with the super phone? I didnt like it and sticking with my TP2!!!

(pause for a suprise expression(if anyone actually read this far)). Ok i loved everything about it except the fact that onscreen typing (even on the huge screen) still is not even close to typing on hardware keyboard of my TP2. And that fact alone makes me a lot less sad that HD2 didnt make to Sprint 1st and i had a chance to try it myself and not just jump on it as i would have done if it came to Sprint @ christmas like was rumored. Sorry for long read!

Daikazetatsu 03-06-2010 03:52 PM

Re: Played with HD2 today and -hmm

Thats what Swype is for!

pesok 03-06-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daikazetatsu (Post 1611016)
Thats what Swype is for!

It had swype 3.9 on it and while it makes things more interesting - still the oscar goes to TP2's hardware keyboard

Daikazetatsu 03-06-2010 04:04 PM

Yea I do love the TP2's keyboard but Swpe makes short messages a breeze

malibu_23 03-06-2010 05:19 PM

yes, sad u had to [lay wit hit to realize that function beats form. thaz y theres 1 touch screen BB and bout 30 with KBs. Hardware KBs just rock. i had the original htc touch so i already kno what typin on a virtual kb all the time. i went to a treo pro and now a tp2. the supersonic/hd2 all perform well, but at the end of the day, i just need a HW Kb & a nice screen. ala TP2.

redd214 03-06-2010 05:57 PM

if only someone could sneak a snapdragon into a tp2, id be in heaven.....

but my wife is bored with her tp2 so im thinking about selling hers and my droid to get her an hd2, i cant wait to check it out in person!

thrashingdeth 03-06-2010 06:50 PM

i am considering moving to tmo just for the hd. So damn sexy, makes me wet just thinking about it. That 1ghz processor is amazing.

Mr.KLeen 03-06-2010 06:59 PM

thats what im doing when its out

pesok 03-06-2010 07:00 PM

cant wait for TP3 - amazing thing HTC doesnt even have to work hard on it. Just take TP2 and leave all as is except add 4.1-4.3" screen+snapdragon(1.5ghz pref)+1gb of RAM and ROM+digital compass(optional)+5mb camera(even more optional) and voila - perfect phone!
They already have all the parts, if TP2 screwed HD2 they would have perfect offspring

blowy666 03-07-2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pesok (Post 1611380)
cant wait for TP3 - amazing thing HTC doesnt even have to work hard on it. Just take TP2 and leave all as is except add 4.1-4.3" screen+snapdragon(1.5ghz pref)+1gb of RAM and ROM+digital compass(optional)+5mb camera(even more optional) and voila - perfect phone!
They already have all the parts, if TP2 screwed HD2 they would have perfect offspring

That will never happen, cause nobody would buy the other HTC-Phones then.
There will never be such a "perfect" phone....

jmorton10 03-07-2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daikazetatsu (Post 1611016)
Thats what Swype is for!

or TouchPal 3.5.

I like TP so much that I use TP 3.5 95% of the time in my TP2 anyway (I have Swype installed also, but I personally prefer TP 3.5)

Using TP & their T+ technology, I can type INSANELY fast (much faster than even the TP2 hardware KB)

~John

jmorton10 03-07-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blowy666 (Post 1612565)

Sure they would, because the one you describe would be so big you would need a "man-purse" to carry it in.............

~John

eman 03-07-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Make a perfect phone and you would not need to make other phones....Just ask Apple.

lefty11 03-07-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 1612652)
Make a perfect phone and you would not need to make other phones....Just ask Apple.

ask Apple what???? Is this the Iphone forum??/ If they had the perfect phone O guess we would all own it and there be no need for this forum....sorry, gonna go get sick again.....

Noir 03-07-2010 10:37 AM

I played with the hd2 ad nauseum and I was even going to purchase one for 400 bucks on craigslist - till the possibility of not upgrading to wp7s came around.
I still want the device but only if wp7 will come out on it either in a leaked beta build or final build

cbreze 03-07-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pesok (Post 1611020)
It had swype 3.9 on it and while it makes things more interesting - still the oscar goes to TP2's hardware keyboard

Nothing beats a hardware kb and the tp2 is excellent in that regard. Best I've used. I'd still prolly get a HD2 if verizon came out with it. It has everything else I'm looking for. And as for wp7, I hate losing my hundreds of dollars worth of apps that would be useless. So a fantastic device as the hd2 is would certainly keep me happy till the wm7 hoopla settles. Alas, I think "big red" will be a no show re" HD2.

Noir 03-07-2010 11:23 AM

no cdma will get non keyboard devices due to lack of sales

p-slim 03-07-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefty11 (Post 1612656)
ask Apple what???? Is this the Iphone forum??/ If they had the perfect phone O guess we would all own it and there be no need for this forum....sorry, gonna go get sick again.....

Don't hate on apple, they have the number 1 selling phone ever. There is only 1 of them and only on one company. If there was one phone to be considered perfect it would be the iPhone. I looked into getting an iPhone for my brother and their monthly plans are outrageous, I can't believe that many people pay that much monthly for that phone. That phone single handedly save att and allows them to charge that much. Maybe Its not perfect but its the next best thing. I live in California and I mean everyone has a damn iPhone.

eman 03-07-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefty11 (Post 1612656)

I am not an iphone fanboy, but if they decided to release the device on Sprint, I am not sure I would be able to hold myself back.

Apple released a phone that didn't necessarily give us things that we didn't have already, but they just gave us everything in a better package and if you are in denial about that, all WM developers are creating all there new apps based on what the iPhone has brought to the game. It is all about fancy GUI's, sliding and scrolling, etc, which has exploded due to the iphone......

Seriously, the iphone is probably the best thing to happen to WM as well. Everyone made out better because of it! On top of that, if the iPhone was to release on Sprint or Verizon, I am willing to bet, you will see a lot of people jump ship.......Now let's see what WM7 can bring to the table.....And if you do not think the iPhone had any influence on WM7, you should go and get sick again!

My point being, give the people 1 phone with all the goodies, and that is all you need. Not a bunch of devices each with shortcomings. The TP2 should have never been released with such a crappy processor. It is not like HTC doesn't know it is out of date.

Whether you like the iphone or not, it has sold millions and millions and for good reason.....

wud_e 03-07-2010 01:18 PM

After having a Vogue for 2 years I'll NEVER go back to Touch Screen only. I'm Madly in love with my TP2. I'm even looking for a way to totally disable the onscreen KB.

cbreze 03-07-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1612604)
or TouchPal 3.5.

Using TP & their T+ technology, I can type INSANELY fast (much faster than even the TP2 hardware KB)

~John

I've been using TP with my imagio and see that for me anyway there is a bit of a learning curve. I'm getting better at it tho. I've finished the trial and bought the app. I hope to get as good with it as my TP2's hardware kb. Just a matter of time spent using it, I think.

cbreze 03-07-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 1612760)
no cdma will get non keyboard devices due to lack of sales

Can't agree much with that as while the imagio is certainly not a big seller, there are several non hardware kb androids and the wave of the future seems to be soft kb devices. It seems apple gave this a big push forward a couple years ago and better and better soft kb apps like touch pal for one are making the non hardware kb experience very tolerable. Most folks seem to like the lighter weight and thinner devices(as I do) that comes from no physical kb also. Then theres the whole wm series due to start coming out later this year and again, I would imagine most of them will be soft kb's. If you think verizon and sprint will not get onboard that wave because of soft kb's it would be a mistake. So guess I don't understand where your coming from with that train of thought.

ajac 03-07-2010 02:22 PM

I hope they tak the htc hd2 + touch pro 2 (keyboard only mainly) and make the touch pro 3 I will be in heaven.. and also be awesome if they make a dual o/s phone running andrioid and win mo. man that would be sweet!! Android 2.1 + windows 7 mobile

RidleyJ329 03-07-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 1612652)

nothin like a one trick poney to get the job done

Noir 03-07-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbreze (Post 1612986)
Can't agree much with that as while the imagio is certainly not a big seller, there are several non hardware kb androids and the wave of the future seems to be soft kb devices. It seems apple gave this a big push forward a couple years ago and better and better soft kb apps like touch pal for one are making the non hardware kb experience very tolerable. Most folks seem to like the lighter weight and thinner devices(as I do) that comes from no physical kb also. Then theres the whole wm series due to start coming out later this year and again, I would imagine most of them will be soft kb's. If you think verizon and sprint will not get onboard that wave because of soft kb's it would be a mistake. So guess I don't understand where your coming from with that train of thought.

I didn't say it
htc has gone on the record to say no cdma devices without keyboards due to low sales.
Will that change with android and cdma? tough to say but for wm and htc touch diamond/touch hd series, no cdma

chronster 03-07-2010 03:53 PM

I have a feeling these glorious phones coming out are going to start phasing out physical keyboard. Everyone wants to copy Apple, and all the brainwashed apple morons think onscreen keyboard is better. No, it isn't. It's only better from a manufacturing standpoint because you can support multiple languages with software changes.

But to be honest, I would definitely trade my keyboard for a snappy device with a large capacitive screen like the hd2 :)

pesok 03-08-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 1613229)
But to be honest, I would definitely trade my keyboard for a snappy device with a large capacitive screen like the hd2 :)

And thats exactly why HTC will make big screen TP3 with hard keyboard. If you follow HTC logic: TP(1)-2.8" , HD(1)-3.8", TP2-3.6", HD2-4.3" , TP3~4.1"

brownhornet 03-08-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 1613229)
I have a feeling these glorious phones coming out are going to start phasing out physical keyboard. Everyone wants to copy Apple, and all the brainwashed apple morons think onscreen keyboard is better. No, it isn't. It's only better from a manufacturing standpoint because you can support multiple languages with software changes.

So you have to be "brainwashed" to feel as if the on screen keyboard is better? Actually i can type faster on screen in landscape mode than I ever could with my qwerty. As a matter of fact i hardly even used the qwerty. Different strokes for different folks.

PropagandaX 03-08-2010 02:30 PM

I got to play with the hd also, but really I prefer the size of my TP2, if only it had a little more processor ass. Like all the phones we get from sprint about the time they reach us the hardware is way old.

JokeZony0u 03-08-2010 03:43 PM

Come on folks, by this time nxt year (maybe the year after), you'll all be sulking and saying that the HD2 is obsolete. I bet we'll have a device running two snapdragons soon enough.

The big hype to this phone? It's giant and it's the first majorly announced 1Ghz processor phone. Get over it and don't waste your money. Sure it'll be faster, but wasn't the Touch Diamond a breakthrough a mere 3 years ago? Now it's almost useless compared to the TP2. Same logic applies here folks

Zing Zing 03-09-2010 12:05 AM

How big is considered "too big" for a cell phone? I mean wuould you carry around a cellphone with an 8" capacitive screen? Ithink the TP2 is a perfect size for a phone. Anything bigger is just a brick.

sanvara 03-09-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pesok (Post 1611380)

That would be a brick in the pocket. The TP2 is pushing the limit of pocketable vs brick. When you go to 4.1" - 4.3" you have to ditch the keyboard to reduce weight. These phones are meant to carry in your pocket and a 4.3" TP3 could only be put in a holster. You then lose the cool factor once you start nerding out with phone holsters. Might as well get a pocket protector with a dozen pens in it next.

Mr.KLeen 03-09-2010 01:10 AM

some new info from tmobile
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...rchProduct=HD2

Mr.KLeen 03-09-2010 01:42 AM

now everyone can try the hd2 on march 16th
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/08/t...2-on-march-16/

danwobear 03-09-2010 03:07 AM

Quote:

You watch your freakin' mouth you! There is always hope...

cbreze 03-09-2010 07:06 AM

I'd be all over this HD2 if I were still with tmo. Their 3G is reported to be fast. The problem is there 3G coverage is only certain areas and a small footprint to boot. Thats why I left for verizon. 3G is basically everywhere. But I'm not knocking tmo. Crap, I was a tmobiler for 9 years. I had the HD-1 and used it with tmo for several months. It was a sweet device and this looks really, really sweet. Can't wait to hear the reviews from actual tmo users. I'll live vicariously thru those folks and stick with the best/biggest 3G network. :headbang:

Dr.8820 03-09-2010 08:02 AM

Wirelessly posted (TP2 or BlackBerry: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

cbreze, I'll let you know how the hd2 is lol!

jmorton10 03-09-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1615267)
So you have to be "brainwashed" to feel as if the on screen keyboard is better? Actually i can type faster on screen in landscape mode than I ever could with my qwerty. As a matter of fact i hardly even used the qwerty..

Same here, I don't think I've used the hardware KB twice in the whole time I've owned my TP2 (5 months).

~John

tokuzumi 03-09-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1615267)
So you have to be "brainwashed" to feel as if the on screen keyboard is better? Actually i can type faster on screen in landscape mode than I ever could with my qwerty. As a matter of fact i hardly even used the qwerty. Different strokes for different folks.

Going from the Mogul, to using the Hero for the last 6 months, I type much faster on the Hero than I ever did on the Mogul, and I could type fast on both. The auto-correct on the Hero is fantastic. While I will agree you make fewer mistakes with a physical qwerty, the auto-correct on a software keyboard will usually fix your spelling errors, anyway. Also, typing on a capacitive screen is much easier than trying to type on a resistive screen, if you were trying to use the soft keyboard on the TP2.

cbreze 03-09-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1617317)
Same here, I don't think I've used the hardware KB twice in the whole time I've owned my TP2 (5 months).

~John

I guess im still trying to get where you guys are at with this soft kb. im posting with it now. can be frustrating and seems inconsistant alot of the time. more practice, practice, practice. driving me bonkers. im using touch pal. seems better than some if others.