PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: SPRINT

FKV1388 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question about long text messages

Hello. I've noticed sometimes when I recieve long texts messages.. that then come out of order but are sometimes numbered for example at the beginning of the message it says (1 of 3) Meaning there are 3 messages this is the first part... Is it only some phones that do this or are the people sending the messages doing this themselves? How can I get my phone to do this if it is the phone?

Any insight would be helpful. Thank You.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Postwhoring VIP
Pocket PC: MoPho Ray Tube!!!
Carrier: Sprint

OR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to OR78
Re: Question about long text messages

Sprint only allows up to 160 characters to be sent at a time. Once that is exceeded, the message is broken up to as many messages as it needs to send the entire text. This is a network qwirk.

Give some
Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

mjh8812 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to mjh8812

Quote:
Originally Posted by OR78 View Post
Sprint only allows up to 160 characters to be sent at a time. Once that is exceeded, the message is broken up to as many messages as it needs to send the entire text. This is a network qwirk.
to add on to this...sometimes the message will come in out of order..its still much better than the verizon system of not being able to send anything over 160 characters to anyone not on verizon in my opinion..its just the network..but at least it numbers them so the person can figure it all out when they come in out of order
Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

HTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuff

SMS stands for short message service. Simply put, it is a method of communication that sends text between cell phones, or from a PC or handheld to a cell phone. The "short" part refers to the maximum size of the text messages: 160 characters (letters, numbers or symbols in the Latin alphabet).
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh8812 View Post
its still much better than the verizon system of not being able to send anything over 160 characters to anyone not on verizon
I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I am on Verizon & I send texts over 160 all the time to co-workers that use iphones........(I just did it this morning & mine all come in in the correct order)

~~John
Old 02-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

not to give iphone props, but that is one feature that steve jobs did a good job on. No matter how long the text message is on an iphone even if its 3 messages long, the iphone will know its suppose to be one message and translate all 3 messages as one bubbled message instead of 3. Hopefully windows is incorporating features like this into WP7.
Google is the next skynet
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

Wow... it never ceases to amaze me how so many on this board just assume someone with a low post count is a total n00b when it comes to cell phones or smart phones... he wasn't asking if he could send longer messages, he's asking how to get long messages that he sends pre-pended with the "(x of x)" to show how many messages and what order to read them in...

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure of the actual answer. I think it's actually done by the SMS servers versus being done by the individual phone, but I could be wrong about that.

Last edited by abrigham; 02-18-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: SPRINT
Threadstarter

FKV1388 is a n00b
Smile Re: Question about long text messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrigham View Post
Wow... it never ceases to amaze me how so many on this board just assume someone with a low post count is a total n00b when it comes to cell phones or smart phones... he wasn't asking if he could send longer messages, he's asking how to get long messages that he sends pre-pended with the "(x of x)" to show how many messages and what order to read them in...

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure of the actual answer. I think it's actually done by the SMS servers versus being done by the individual phone, but I could be wrong about that.

Yes, that's exactly what I was asking. I know my friends phone does this.. he has the Palm Pre and we're both on Sprint network. I was just hoping there was some way I could get this on phone... Thanks anyways!
Old 02-23-2010, 02:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

So if you send a long text to him it doesn't get pre-pended with the (x of x) info? I haven't had a chance to test this between my TP2 and my wife's MotoQ9C... I'll give it a go and see what happens. BTW, I'm running a custom ROM built w/ Calkulin's kitchen, so if mine does work, then we'll know there's a setting or something to do w/ the Messaging client I'm using.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:47 AM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked
Carrier: Verizon

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff
Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50369; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

@ mjh: I'm also on Verizon, and can send/receive very long sms's. I've gone as high as 6 messages worth in 1 sms sent (I don't think I've sent higher). So I'm not sure what you're referring to.

@ p-slim, yea, that's a cool feature, but only works on the AT&T network. iPhone on T-Mobile doesn't support this.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2