PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Sold TP2 w/SsS-ROM 2 & now won't activate (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=110136)

Mr.Gadget 02-09-2010 09:56 PM

Sold TP2 w/SsS-ROM 2 & now won't activate

Help!

I sold my TP2 to someone. It is only a month old and had the SsS ROM #2 on it. It worked great for me. I overnighted it to the buyer and she says she could not activate it. She took it to Sprint and they said it was "fried".
I think they did not know what they were doing...?!!
I would like to have the buyer re-flash to stock Sprint ROM and retry activation over the phone through Sprint (not the store). I am downloading "1.21.651.3_RS_1.96WF_NV_SPCS_1.42_0430_PRL60652_s hip.zip". Sound like I have the right stock one???
Does this sound reasonable?
Any reason why she could not activate my old phone while on SsS ROM?
I have a Hero now which replaced the TP2 just last night.

Help! I may have to refund her. No problem really, but I think the phone is fine. I just need some advice.
Thank you!!!

Bulldog46208 02-09-2010 10:03 PM

Re: Sold TP2 w/SsS-ROM 2 & now won't activate

Did you sell this on eBay? Was payment made with PayPal?
I have sold phones over eBay and used PayPal.
In my opinion, apologize to the buyer and make her whole. Explain that you will refund her money once she returns the phone to you. It is the right thing to do. Once you have the phone back, flash to the stock ROM, thoroughly test, and resell.

I imagine the transaction was for a few hundred dollars. Just think what she is thinking.
Good luck.

Bulldog46208

Mr.Gadget 02-09-2010 10:09 PM

Hi Bulldog. You're right. I did offer her a refund and will stand by it. I sold it via another Sprint forum (Sprintusers). She mentioned that Sprint is going to try and get her a new phone but they were not sure if it would work out.
I sold it for $285 + shipping, so not horrible I guess. What a bummer.
Is there some way I can be assured it will activate OK for the next sale?
Thank you!

OH! And she still has the phone.

heartisall 02-09-2010 10:19 PM

The Reason you cannot activate it is because the SsS rom uses a dialer that is native to GSM, the dialer does not support #codes therefore Sprint will have trouble activating it. I think you have the right rom there is a thread with all of them in the upgrades section. Most likely they had no Idea what they were doing flash back to stock from bootloader and I bet it works fine.

electronicrice 02-09-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartisall (Post 1554191)
The Reason you cannot activate it is because the SsS rom uses a dialer that is native to GSM, the dialer does not support #codes therefore Sprint will have trouble activating it. I think you have the right rom there is a thread with all of them in the upgrades section. Most likely they had no Idea what they were doing flash back to stock from bootloader and I bet it works fine.

No the dialer should have nothing to do with it. All they should have to do is swap the ESN on the account and the phone should automatically start working. I've done countless ESN swaps on Sprint.com and there is never a need to go into EPST. The ROM that was flashed shouldn't touch any of those settings anyway, regardless of what dialer is being used.

There really shouldn't have been a problem at all... I don't know why people make things like this so difficult..

Mr.Gadget 02-09-2010 10:31 PM

electronicrice (and everyone), thank you. Do you think she could call Sprint and just walk through phone activation? (Course, I wonder if she did that already)...

00_MACKIE_00 02-09-2010 10:38 PM

Have you pulled this TP2 from your account ? Sure its a phone prob?

electronicrice 02-09-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget (Post 1554223)
electronicrice (and everyone), thank you. Do you think she could call Sprint and just walk through phone activation? (Course, I wonder if she did that already)...

I really think all she needs to do is call Sprint (or try Sprint.com after she logs into her account) and just change over the ESN to the TP2's ESN and leave it at that. There should be no need to use ##codes or change anything in EPST. If they try to walk her thru changing that stuff, just have her test the phone to see if it works (usually instant) before plugging in numbers and all that junk in the dialer and EPST.

Also, you'll want to make sure the ESN is off of your account by switching to another phone so it's clear for her to activate.

Mr.Gadget 02-09-2010 10:51 PM

Thanks. Yes, I am pretty sure it is off the account. When I activated the Hero, it explicitly told me that it was going to remove the TP2 and replace it with the Hero. (The Hero is working fine FWIW).

iredline5 02-09-2010 11:08 PM

Do you have the ESN of the TP2? Ask for it from the buyer, make sure its the one on the back of the phone and check the esn for yourself. Go to sprint.com and login in to your account and activate new phone, if it goes through the first part then the ESN is good and you just cancel and get out of the screen. This is how I check on ESN of phones before buying online.