PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: Verizon

CA3SAR is keeping up the good workCA3SAR is keeping up the good workCA3SAR is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Verizon Win6.5 out!

whats the free ram after about 30 minutes after startup?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Optimus V
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

aldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaldamon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbochris View Post
I considered a mightyrom but with love and war and void and whatever I just couldn't make up my mind. It's never clear what the difference is between all these roms and I don't have all the time in the world to try them all. I just want something simple that's finger friendly without all the lag that I get with the HTC touch flo crap.
It doesn't get much clearer than the descriptions. You want VOID or LOVE with the classic Today screen enabled.

Project Name: VOID
System: Windows Phone® 28014
Interface: Titanium

Project Name: LOVE
Interface: HTC Sense 2.1

Project Name: IMPACT
Interface: HTC Sense 2.5 [FULL LANDSCAPE SUPPORT]

Project Name: WAR
System: Windows Phone® 21887
Interface: HTC Sense 2.5 [FULL LANDSCAPE SUPPORT]
Old 01-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work

A few basic questions; pardon my inexperience. I am using the stock Verizon 6.1 ROM, with some registry tweaks and a few CABS to optimize it to my liking.

1. What is the difference between the various "cooked ROM's" and this Verizon WM6.5 upgrade, in terms of where files are being changed - firmware level, OS files, registry, etc.? I'm trying to understand this in terms of a PC: where there are BIOS level changes, OS system files, Registry entries, etc.

2. If I do the upgrade, would a Hard Reset at that point restore the newer 6.5 or the previous 6.1 ROM?

3. If I do the upgrade, and for whatever reason, decide I preferred the 6.1 ROM, and if the hard reset answer to question 2 is that a hard reset restores the newer 6.5 ROM, how would I get back to the 6.1 ROM?

4. What, precisely, is the new "radio" that people continuously refer to in this thread? The term implies a hardware component, but obviously that is not the case.

5. What, exactly, would I gain with this upgrade, other than a different appearing OS cosmetically? Are there previous problems that are fixed? New functionality added? Greater speed and efficiency? I don't want change for change's sake, unless there are practical gains to be had.

Many of these posts assume a moderately deep familiarity with Windows Mobile and its complexities, but some of us while quickly learning, are still pretty new to Windows Mobile, with the TP2 our first WM device (I came from years with Palm).

Last edited by DLCPhoto; 01-08-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium

thayer is becoming a great contributor

1. only the person who cooked the rom knows the difference between their rom and the stock rom. the custom rom typically removes bloatware and adds the newest features according to the chefs tastes.

2. a hard reset causes the phone to delete everything but the rom most recently installed. a rom install is like reinstalling windows xp or windows 7 from scratch. the previous os doesn't exist on the pc any longer. a hard reset reverts you to a clean install of the rom last installed.

3. most roms are available for download. search for the stock rom and download it before you flash a new rom. then if you dont like the new rom you can simply reinstll the old rom. (if you go mighty, you won't go back)

4. the radio is the softwre that identifies your phone to cell towers. a new radio is intended to do a better job of this.

5. there is so much under the hood of these roms that only you flashing it and trying it out will tell. you WILL get the new radio and a slightly more touch friendly os.

it just takes time and actully flshing new roms. i am still a pea green newb where all this is concerned. if any of this is wrong...plese correct it.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Galaxy S2
Carrier: AT&T

zdogtag1 is keeping up the good workzdogtag1 is keeping up the good workzdogtag1 is keeping up the good work

I would add to what thayer said is..the cooked roms are not signed. Offical releases from providers are, so one could not load an official signed Rom from 1 provider to another as you can with the cooked roms. the CHEFS of the cooked roms usually add some provisioning software for your provider to be ran after the rom is loaded on you phone.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work

Much appreciated, Thayer! That answers things quite well.

I would have to assume that there is some fundamental difference between the official Verizon ROM's and the 'cooked' ROM's, in that the latter apparently require one to first 'Unlock" the device (correct me if that's wrong). What's the scoop here?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

ppazz1101 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to ppazz1101

Ended up flashing this last night. It's awesome. It might just be my imagination, but it seems much more responsive. Reception seems pretty good. I had problems with 3G before, but this seems pretty good.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:14 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post

I would have to assume that there is some fundamental difference between the official Verizon ROM's and the 'cooked' ROM's, in that the latter apparently require one to first 'Unlock" the device (correct me if that's wrong). What's the scoop here?
Since the cooked ROMs are "unsigned", it requires unlocking before they will flash.

An official VZ or Sprint ROM does not require unlocking.

You only need to unlock once, after that any ROM will flash just fine.

~John
Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 AM
grv
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

grv is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
Since the cooked ROMs are "unsigned", it requires unlocking before they will flash.

An official VZ or Sprint ROM does not require unlocking.

You only need to unlock once, after that any ROM will flash just fine.

~John
Just to add to what John said, I think carriers limit their phones to their own ROMs ("lock" their phones) in order to provide their subscribers with a predictable experience, and to keep their support costs and processes manageable.

Imagine trying to answer questions as a carrier support rep if you had to be fluent in umpteen versions of Windows Mobile and all the other apps that are layered on top. Not to mention that some builds are more stable than others. They have a hard enough time answering questions and resolving issues on the builds they release themselves
Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800

tabasco is a n00b

It's the same company. UTStarcom spun off this portion of their business to Personal Communication Devices (PCD) in July 2008.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2