PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

mvemjsuntp is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
5 beginner questions

Hey everyone, new TP2 user on Sprint here, and have 6 questions about my new TP2. (I know title says 5, couldn't edit that). I poked around these pages but did not find the answer. I like to think of myself as kind of a techie but this phone is seriously intimidating. I used a Treo 755p for 2 years and forgot how much more customizable PPC is.

1. I connected the TP2 to my home wifi, but how do I force the TP2 to connect via wifi and not Sprint data? In other words, if I'm home, and want to be on a voice call and browse the web on my mobile, how do I do that?

2. When I plug in my device to my Mac, I get 3 options. The last one says Internet Sharing. What exactly is that for? Is that the same as "tethering"? Also, when I chose that option, it just tells me it can't connect because there is some error with the PCS password. Otherwise my data works just fine on the phone.

3. I noticed that the wall adapter has a smaller portion within it that can slide out (the part that has the prongs). What is that for?

4. I installed Opera 10 Beta. How do I get the Internet Tab (from TouchFlo3D) to launch that instead of the Opera browser that comes with the phone?

5. Is there a way to rearrange the Icons that appear when you hit the Start button? I know that the manual says you must remove and then add, but that just seems like a waste. Is there an easier way?

6. Is there a universal search feature that can search the entire phone for specific text? I know if you pull out the keyboard and start typing it will start to search for matching contacts but is there a similar way to search for music or files?

Thanks for your responses!
Old 12-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1
Re: 5 beginner questions

1- keep wifi on... ? I'm not 100% sure but I think it'd work that way.

2- Internet sharing is tethering. There are some steps you have to take to get it to work though, just do a quick search here & you'll find it.

3- Most likely for traveling overseas where plugs are different. Slide out the US plug, slide in X country's plug.

4- This I do not know. Sorry.

5- Are you talking about Touch Flo or the start menu?

6- Again, not sure about this one. Sorry.

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:24 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: USCC

eric3938 is just getting started

Is a "Search Phone" app in start menu on mine.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvemjsuntp View Post
Hey everyone, new TP2 user on Sprint here, and have 6 questions about my new TP2. (I know title says 5, couldn't edit that). I poked around these pages but did not find the answer. I like to think of myself as kind of a techie but this phone is seriously intimidating. I used a Treo 755p for 2 years and forgot how much more customizable PPC is.

1. I connected the TP2 to my home wifi, but how do I force the TP2 to connect via wifi and not Sprint data? In other words, if I'm home, and want to be on a voice call and browse the web on my mobile, how do I do that?

You can't do this on Sprint... Switch to ATT if you really want to do this. You can only be on a call or on the internet not both simultaneously. Not sure if you can use wifi and phone though... But if you are home... use your pc for the internet and the phone for calls. lol.

2. When I plug in my device to my Mac, I get 3 options. The last one says Internet Sharing. What exactly is that for? Is that the same as "tethering"? Also, when I chose that option, it just tells me it can't connect because there is some error with the PCS password. Otherwise my data works just fine on the phone.

Internet sharing is for using your phone as a modem you will be on your phone's REVdo connection. You need to do some research on the forums to get a solution for this as I am not a mac user. Sorry.

3. I noticed that the wall adapter has a smaller portion within it that can slide out (the part that has the prongs). What is that for?

So you can replace it when you travel... instead of getting a whole new adapter you just get the slide out part (plugs into the wall)

4. I installed Opera 10 Beta. How do I get the Internet Tab (from TouchFlo3D) to launch that instead of the Opera browser that comes with the phone?

I would not do this quite yet as this is a beta version... After the official release, you should use the search feature within this forum to help you figure that out as well.

5. Is there a way to rearrange the Icons that appear when you hit the Start button? I know that the manual says you must remove and then add, but that just seems like a waste. Is there an easier way?

It's not that tough... You simply hit the delete button and choose the icons you want gone. Then hit the add button and add the programs you actually want... Believe me it's much easier than answering all your questions and far more rewarding. lol. Just messing with you bro.
It's really not that tough and you should only have to do it once or twice unless you keep changing your mind.

6. Is there a universal search feature that can search the entire phone for specific text? I know if you pull out the keyboard and start typing it will start to search for matching contacts but is there a similar way to search for music or files?

There is a search feature... but may not be what you are looking for. I think you are looking for a feauture similar to the one on the palm pre.
If you open the keyboard and start typing, it will only locate contacts (in your phone book) ... so, if you type mom... It should come up with your mom's contact info. I know mine gives me my mom's info and so should every good son's phone. lol.

Thanks for your responses!
And lastly... Use the search feature on this website. You will get better results. If you are believed to be avoiding the search feature... You will most likely be ignored and your questions will go unanswered.

I hope I helped. If someone EVER helps you don't forget to hit their THANKS button. I hit kabuk's... You should too.
p.

Last edited by AZTECHKA; 12-18-2009 at 06:41 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Good ol Sprint has 4G now

mrheineken08 is becoming a great contributor

1) in the stock manila at least for the touch pro 1 port from rhodium there was an option in the browser tab to use wifi instead of evdo. and you would be able to multi task how you want. if its not there its a reg edit.

2)use usb modem.cab it works for mac its limited to a trial but i dont think the mac version recognizes it cuz you dont need a program on the mac just the usbmodem.cab on the fone.

4)change the opera program to operaL.exe and put it in the windows folder if its not already there. l

let me know if you have anymore questions at all. im good at stuff people dont usually ask.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Good ol Sprint has 4G now

mrheineken08 is becoming a great contributor

oh and for #1 theres a cab called modacoNoData and that would allow you to turn off evdo data and use wifi only and talk on the phone at the same time i believe. if you get advance config program you can also turn the wifi on standby mode so it doesnt disconnect you from your network and just kinda like puts it in powersave mode like sleep on the pc
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2