PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Google Voice setup (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=101538)

eore227 12-13-2009 11:41 AM

Google Voice setup

Hey guys so I got a google voice invite and had some questions for it. Now do you guys use your same number or use a new number. Are there disadvantages and advantages to one or the other????

w7excursion 12-13-2009 12:15 PM

Re: Google Voice setup

Use the GV number when you dont want people to have your real number. I use it for contacting people on craigslist or a few loons on sprintusers.

eore227 12-13-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w7excursion (Post 1409562)
Use the GV number when you dont want people to have your real number. I use it for contacting people on craigslist or a few loons on sprintusers.

haha ok so the gv is good for loons

Recursion 12-13-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eore227 (Post 1409521)
Hey guys so I got a google voice invite and had some questions for it. Now do you guys use your same number or use a new number. Are there disadvantages and advantages to one or the other????

Here are some thoughts:

1. It might be wise to give your google voice number out to particular categories of people. This way, if you set your GV Account to "replace" the caller ID data of calls forwarded to your mobile phone, you'll have an idea of what type of call is coming in.

So, you might give your GV# out only to select friends who you talk to a lot. Or, you might give your GV# out only to potential business folks.

2. In case you don't know (some might not know this), you can add your GV# to your calling circle. So, you would set your GV Account to replace the caller ID data for calls forwarded to your mobile. This way, you will get unlimited minutes for people calling you.

3. At one point (maybe still), your GV Account is set up by default to require callers to "speak" their name before the call is connected. If you want a more seamless experience for callers, you can turn this off.

madcowmilau 12-13-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w7excursion (Post 1409562)

I also use it for craigslist, isnt it great

WisdomWolfX 12-13-2009 01:59 PM

I switched to it as my primary number over six months ago and haven't looked back. I love the added convenience of GV and just keep watching and using as it gets better and better. The one major thing that may hold others back from doing this is the lack of MMS. I've been using a PPC on Sprint for years (for a long time there was no official MMS) so I'm not missing anything there.

eore227 12-13-2009 02:07 PM

so when you make your choice is it permanent??? Like can you choose to use your number then later on decide a google number?

WisdomWolfX 12-13-2009 03:57 PM

When you setup GV you'll pick a number. You'll have to give people number to get the most benefits from GV (Call screening, integrated texting from web interface with complete history online, etc).

However you can still get benefits from their voicemail service without changing your number. You can set your current phone to forward to GV VM instead of your carriers VM. This will allow you to get email or SMS copies of your VM in a transcribed form. This is really useful for reading your messages without having to listen to them (although the transcription is not always perfect you can usually get a good idea of what the message is about and whether it's worth listening to or not).

idenkilla 12-13-2009 04:07 PM

i switched over about 2-3 months ago. the only real thing i dislolike is the fact that there is no official google voice app. i use gvo but you cant dial recent numbers straight from your call log. but i love google voice. i used the google voice number

WisdomWolfX 12-13-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idenkilla (Post 1409935)
i switched over about 2-3 months ago. the only real thing i dislolike is the fact that there is no official google voice app. i use gvo but you cant dial recent numbers straight from your call log. but i love google voice. i used the google voice number

This is a good point. I keep meaning to purchase GVdialer, but just never got around to it. (I've been reflashing my phone too much).