PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 06:02 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

srsizzy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
best way to backup before flashing

So I know a lot of people use PIM/SPB to backup contacts/messages/etc, and I'm seeing those are all the SHOULD be backed up when flashing, but I'm wondering if there's a way to backup applications and settings that take a while to go through reinstalling and setting.

I used Sprite backup, but I'm guessing that's going to basically keep the ROM within it's full-backup file, so that doesn't help. Is there a way to use SPB or Sprite to backup everything BUT the ROM? The Sprite website says "fully customizable," but that's bullocks, it didn't ASK me if I wanted to backup the program files and it did that anyways.

Is there no way to backup all my applications and reinstall them all at once without having to make my own ROM with all the apps loaded into it?

I'm seeing Sprite has an "upgrade restore" mode for when you update a ROM within the same OS; does anyone know how well that works? Looks like SPB has a similar function as well?

Last edited by srsizzy; 02-19-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965
Re: best way to backup before flashing

You NEVER run a backup after a flash to a new ROM.
Back up your contacts, calendar, and mail with WMDC or Active Sync and learn to use XDA_UC or Sashimi to setup after a flash.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo

ACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuff

Yeap. Just save contacts, and favorites via myphone, and flash away.

You are asking for trouble if you are going to restore old system backup over a new flash.

Myn's 2.2 RLS3
Netarchy-toastmod-4.21-bfs-bfq-havs-more-smartass-universal (More Aggressive Undervolting) //// Testing Ziggy471Kernel-EVO-update_signed-11052010-1609
Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2 by HTC

eXplicit is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to eXplicit

Microsoft MyPhone
Old 02-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

sprinttouch666 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsprinttouch666 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsprinttouch666 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsprinttouch666 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsprinttouch666 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

if all u care about it contacts just copy ur pim.vol from the root of your device to your storage card before your flash. then copy it back after and soft reset.

(almost all rom's come preloaded w/ total commander so no need 2 install and extra cab)
Old 02-19-2010, 07:06 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

srsizzy is a n00b

It's pretty clear from the first post that I care about more than the contacts.

I'm way to tired to think about figuring out XDA_UC right now. This phone is giving me so much more of a headache than the Titan did. I shouldn't have trusted everyone's dislike of the stock ROM, I can't believe that it's any slower than MightyROM. The amount of times my phone has frozen in basic functions is absurd.

Anyways, so I guess the answer to my question is no, unless XDA_UC can be used JUST to install cabs because I don't care about the other stuff.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: at&t:HTC Aria waiting for WP7 to Arrive
Carrier: at&t

Oridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsizzy View Post
It's pretty clear from the first post that I care about more than the contacts.

I'm way to tired to think about figuring out XDA_UC right now. This phone is giving me so much more of a headache than the Titan did. I shouldn't have trusted everyone's dislike of the stock ROM, I can't believe that it's any slower than MightyROM. The amount of times my phone has frozen in basic functions is absurd.

Anyways, so I guess the answer to my question is no, unless XDA_UC can be used JUST to install cabs because I don't care about the other stuff.
I use XDA_UC To install all my favorite cabs after the initial setup post flash. Takes about 3 mins for all my cabs, soft reset and im g2g.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo

ACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuff

If there is freezing problem, it's most likely something you installed. My phone was constantly freezing, and stuck on boot screen which lead me to hard reset constantly. The cause was one of the Sense Tweak cab I installed that most people had no problem with. Just don't forget about stuff you are installing.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

srsizzy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oridus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsizzy View Post
I use XDA_UC To install all my favorite cabs after the initial setup post flash. Takes about 3 mins for all my cabs, soft reset and im g2g.
Thanks, that's what I was looking to hear, though I still need to figure out how the program works.

Still seems like a hassle to go through and re-set-up email and specific settings for each program and ringtones and everything. I can't believe people flash their phones regularly. I got by on the same ROM on my Titan for 2 years with few problems.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2