PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 07:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

New Daddy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Are Garmin Mobile XT & Verizon TP2 a good fit?

Are Garmin Mobile XT & Verizon TP2 a good fit?
Some posts point to the Bluetooth stack problem and recommend staying away from Garmin or Tom Tom altogether, while other posts (like http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=90149 ) report satisfactory usage.
Is the BT stack problem specific to other carrier models, or does it happen to Verizon TP2 as well?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo
Carrier: Sprint

ACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuff
Re: Are Garmin Mobile XT & Verizon TP2 a good fit?

Depends.

Are you using custom rom? Garmin uses alot more memory than the Igo8, and it had hard time running in HTC 2.5 sense custom roms.

If you are not looking for traffic update, go with Igo8. Very solid GPS software in my experience.

Myn's 2.2 RLS3
Netarchy-toastmod-4.21-bfs-bfq-havs-more-smartass-universal (More Aggressive Undervolting) //// Testing Ziggy471Kernel-EVO-update_signed-11052010-1609
Old 12-06-2009, 07:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

New Daddy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHlLLES View Post
Depends.

Are you using custom rom? Garmin uses alot more memory than the Igo8, and it had hard time running in HTC 2.5 sense custom roms.

If you are not looking for traffic update, go with Igo8. Very solid GPS software in my experience.
I'm using stock rom.
The reason I prefer Garmin, assuming there is no significant problem in running Garmin on TP2, is that I can share maps with the standalone Garmin GPS in my wife's car.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

GarminXT has run perfect for me with the stock VZ ROM, MightyROM & now Juicy's manila 2.5 ROM.

~John
Old 12-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Almost a VIP

ACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuff

garmin had tough time starting on juicy for me. kept getting error(need more program memory error) unless i started it on boot, or turned off sense ui. deal breaker for me was igo8 had easier time getting gps signal in my car. i drive fj cruiser which has pretty much dash covered by the roof(probably 80 degree windshield angle), not windshield.. and for some reason, Igo8 gps positioning never lagged while garmin did(I'm on certain street, and the gps would be behind by a block).

Anyways, the car does have indash nav, and I barely use both, but I like to try stuff with the phone lol.

Last edited by ACHlLLES; 12-06-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I hated it on my TP2 (I don't have Verizon, though). The interface was terrible, too. I love IGO8 much much better. Plus, even when I tried to uninstall Garmin and get it off of my device, I had problems with it showing up in files here and there, including a popup asking me to install it every time I connected it to my desktop.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I hated it on my TP2 (I don't have Verizon, though). The interface was terrible, too. I love IGO8 much much better. Plus, even when I tried to uninstall Garmin and get it off of my device, I had problems with it showing up in files here and there, including a popup asking me to install it every time I connected it to my desktop.
I don't think garmin has lane assists and TTS like Igo8 does. (I really didn't bother to check because even searching for an address was tougher than the Igo8, or I was just too used to Igo8.)

I also hated the interface, but liked the traffic update.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Htc EVO 3D™

kaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on rep

well i figured id chim in on this..I am sprint user.. but i also have been using garmin xt on every pda i have owned. evolving from my apache to my pro now..with several inbetween. i use garmin mobile xt daily m-f 8hrs minimum. its awesome. no issues at all. I have my bluetooth headset on as well as using it as a mp3 player to my work vehicle via fm transmitter.Perfection. YOu shouldnt have a single issue. Only installing it..lol but you will be fine follow instructions. best part is after you do it once. its on your sd. so after you upgrade roms again. just pop sd out push back in and garmin auto installs.

Phone:
Sprint EVO 3D Rom:Kaos Hybrid 4.20 V8 Radio: 0.97 Storage Card: Micro 32GB SDHC

Old 12-06-2009, 08:01 PM
VIP Member

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
best part is after you do it once. its on your sd. so after you upgrade roms again. just pop sd out push back in and garmin auto installs.
I agree, that is really nice. I used the "fix" & installed it to a 16 gig card when they first came out & it has worked in every PPC I have put it in ever since.

I'm not sure what is not to like about the interface, it is identical to a Garmin Nuvi (& Nuvi's are so simple to use I'm not even sure why they include an owners manual) + it gives you Google search/weather etc + traffic & there are literally thousands of free POI's you can use with Garmin stuff.

~John

Last edited by jmorton10; 12-06-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:13 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHlLLES View Post

Anyways, the car does have indash nav, and I barely use both, but I like to try stuff with the phone lol.
yea, that's the same as me actually.

I have an awesome double DIN 7" DVD/NAV built into my truck that is more accurate than any phone NAV, but I just like playing with stuff on the phone.

I have CoPilot 8 in the phone also which has an awesome interface, but their latest maps are like 10 years old.........

~John

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2