PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Touch Pro? Nah. I'll stick with my Mogul. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=54097)

biff441 01-21-2009 07:37 PM

Re: Touch Pro? Nah. I'll stick with my Mogul.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moovius (Post 654458)
Over the past few weeks I have been contemplating the idea of upgrading to the Touch Pro (right now it would cost me $199 and not alter my sero plan).

It's a pretty slick looking phone compared to the Mogul:
  • More memory
  • Bigger and higher res screen
  • Faster interface (faster processor I assume)
  • Better camera
  • Bigger keyboard
  • etc...
But then I go to the forums to do some research and hear negative feedback about:
  • Battery life is very short (most former mogul owners notice it)
  • Frequent reports of overheating
  • Keyboard doesn't have the same tactile feel (many dislike it)
  • etc...
Believe me, I am sick of the slow interface and memory issues with the Mogul. I've had mine for 1.5 years now and I run DCD's 3.2.6 rom (which is one of the fastest roms I've ever used on this phone). My phone still runs like Vista on a 486 computer. But it already has gps, Evdo Rev A, a little over 4 hours of talk-time battery life, wifi, and all those things that I truly need.

How many of you mogul owners have researched the Touch Pro and decided to hold off on the upgrade? Are you hoping (like me) that HTC will come out with an improvement on the TP in the latter part of the year (a guy can dream can't he?).

I'm just curious.

I am in the same situation you are. I really like my Mogul, but I have grown weary of the WM 6.1 Today Screen. I loaded the Winterface Suite last month and I need more available memory. I also would like more features. I have been thinking about using a different ROM other than the factory ROM that came with it.

I have seen here and on other sites that people are turning off the TF3D. Some have even set their sreen to look like their Mogul.

Is the TP just not that great of a phone?

Yibrushn 01-21-2009 07:47 PM

Popdog what features would you consider to be a major upgrade?

popdog54 01-21-2009 08:07 PM

A major upgrade for me would be a larger screen like the HD, a Tegra chip, WM7 (although the Pro can probably be upgraded to this), and WiMax capability (if of course WiMax becomes available nationwide). Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for any/all of these features.

Once again, I'm not knocking anyone who has the Pro. And I wouldn't mind having one myself, but not at the price I would have to pay without an insurance swap. I got tired of upgrading my phone everytime a new model came out just for the sake of having the latest and greatest. My Mogul has served me well and continues to do so. It hasn't become any less functional just because the Pro came out.

Yibrushn 01-21-2009 08:08 PM

Biff I've had the TP since october and I love it. TF3D takes a lot of work to customize but it's worth the effort and even if you choose to turn it off you won't have any problems with available memory for winterface or any other UI you choose to use! the VGA screen is a gigantic improvement. the dpad takes some getting used to but I love this phone!

biff441 01-21-2009 10:16 PM

:???:

biff441 01-21-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yibrushn (Post 657027)
Biff I've had the TP since october and I love it. TF3D takes a lot of work to customize but it's worth the effort and even if you choose to turn it off you won't have any problems with available memory for winterface or any other UI you choose to use! the VGA screen is a gigantic improvement. the dpad takes some getting used to but I love this phone!

Thanks from one noob to another. I've fiddled with the TP at the Sprint store. I would like to get one, but I bought my Mogul last April. Can't fork over the difference right now. I guess I'll go to the kitchen and cook me up a new ROM.

BTW you replied to my first post. I hit the thanks button, but thanks anyway.

tenthirty2 01-21-2009 10:32 PM

If you want a great Mogul rom, No2Chem's NueRom was a God send when I had my 6800. Set the page pool kernel on it to high memory mode with no camera (4 mb page pool) and you'll get as much as 28-30 megs of start up memory. No exaggeration, No2Chem breathed new life into my Mogul, definitely made the wait for my Touch Pro much easier to handle. I floated him a $5 donation for it, and it was worth every penny.

Dr.8820 01-21-2009 10:33 PM

the only thing about loving the mogul and passing on the touch pro is that the tp is the moguls' replacement.so sooner or later your mogul will be replaced so go ahead a make the jump!

jmorton10 01-21-2009 10:33 PM

I have both phones (I have a Sprint TP ported to verizon service & a 6800 with nueROM3) & I think I can give a fairly unbiased opinion because I still love my old xv6800 (Titan/Mogul) Running nue3 with the POS camera disabled, I think the 6800 is a killer phone & I really miss some of the features of it when I use my TouchPro.

The battery life in the TP is atrocious. I have four batteries, two cradles & a car charger. I never use the hardware KB as I got used to using Touchpal & never looked back (in portrait mode using T+ I can type insanely fast in sms-chat). As far as the hardware KB's go, I think the TP KB sucks -the keys are way too small & stiff IMHO.

The virtually unlimited free memory in the TP is awfully addicting, I run Oxios 10 times a day in the 6800. I badly miss the scroll wheel & dedicated hardware keys for inet & messaging. TF3D & AEbutton + makes up for some of that, but I would love to at least have my scroll wheel back in the TP.

To all you guys claiming the TP is slow/laggy etc, that maybe true of the demo your playing with in the store, but I can tell you with a few tweaks that is not the case at all. My TP is lightning fast & I get no lag whatever in TF3D witth the speed tweaks & mine is fairly well customized:

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/Screen01.png

I run weather panel from a 2nd today screen mapped to the right soft key.

I think the "new improved camera" is a useless POS. The auto-focus shutter lag is worse than a 10 year old digital camera. It works fine for inanimate objects, but forget trying to photograph your 8 year old daughter or your dog. If you look at the posted shots, 85% of them are dark blurry grainy out of focus shots & it's not really the users fault most of the time.

The TP screen resolution is killer, but I really want a bigger screen. If I can ever get my hands on a Pro HD I would buy it in a heartbeat. Sling Mobile has never seemed to work as well in the TP as it did in my 6800, although I can hook the video out to my 7" NAV screen in my truck & show the Sling video on the NAV screen (that is VERY cool)

I have had no overheating problems whatever with my TP even when running sling & GPS at the same time.

I can't get s2u2 to work correctly in the TP, but PocketShield while not free works perfectly & has some very cool features.

If anybody has any questions (I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff), post here or PM me & I will try to give a fair unbiased answer.

~John

Cicatrize 01-22-2009 12:41 AM

I've had the Mogul, the Touch, and currently own the Touch Pro.

I can tell you that the Touch 6900 beats both the Mogul and Touch Pro in speed, battery life, and of course size (a moot point). But that doesn't matter, because the Touch doesn't have a keyboard...so...yeah. lol

The battery life is NOT any worse on my TPro than it was on my Mogul. The TP is much, much faster too. Hell, the screen resolution and form factor of the phone are reason enough to switch, imo. I didn't think it'd matter until I got one. I picked up my Touch again the other day just to take a peek at it and I was literally nauseated by the screen. I wanted to puke on it.

I did like the tactile feedback on the Mogul a LITTLE bit more than on the TP, but not enough to ignore the fact that the TP has a 5th row with numbers on it.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason not to upgrade.