PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Initial impressions and thoughts on the Mogul (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=5118)

rycelover 06-19-2007 02:48 PM

Initial impressions and thoughts on the Mogul

I've had it since 9:45 this morning and am comparing it to my 6700 running on BigJ's Reload Rom 1.1 and here are my impressions:

Initially the unit definitely feels lighter than my 6700 - buth then of course it would since I was using an extended 2400 mah battery on it

The slide out keyboard with its spring load feels neat and there's a bit of play when it's closed and any light push on the keypad would send the screen into landscape mode.

I miss having a volume slide controller. I still haven't figured out how to quickly set the phone into vibrate mode or increase the volume. I know that during a call, the thumbwheel will adjust the volume, but I would like to set the phone to silence sometimes.

I can't assign the windows and ok buttons to new programs [the ones sitting next to the call and end buttons]

I need to get used to using the thumbwheel to move around - i instinctively move to the D-pad, which is also an adjustment.

The screen is much brighter than the 6700.

The massive amount of storage in the rom is great; although I'm afraid that it won't take me too long to fill that up!

Havent' tried the wifi yet.

Bluetooth: A2DP works as well as AVRCP on WMP and sony HBH970. Incoming calls get routed through without a problem.

So far I've installed SBP Diary, Pocket Plus and Weather - all working fine; MortSaver [best device locking program]; TCMP.

Activesync works as advertised and I had no trouble syncing with my exchange server. POutlook works as it had in the past.

I can't seem to activate the keyboard light when I slid out the keyboard and start typing ... GRRRR

Whew, sorry for long rambling post. Will add more thoughts as i play with it throughout the day.

shivers 06-19-2007 03:10 PM

great. keep the info coming.

e-dub 06-19-2007 03:13 PM

Re: Initial impressions and thoughts on the Mogul

Quote:

Originally Posted by rycelover
I can't seem to activate the keyboard light when I slid out the keyboard and start typing ... GRRRR

have you tried doing that in the dark?

eric b

rycelover 06-19-2007 03:55 PM

Re: Initial impressions and thoughts on the Mogul

Quote:

Originally Posted by e-dub
Quote:

Originally Posted by rycelover

have you tried doing that in the dark?

eric b

Yeah, I found out that there's a light sensor on the device and it lights up in a white color.

MTavis 06-19-2007 05:14 PM

GPS

Although the user's guide lists GPS support it is for location in ALI. Do you know whether or not applications will be developed to use that chip set for navigation? :roll:

ucfjoe 06-19-2007 05:34 PM

the stylus collapses! what a pointlessly cool feature! i can't wait till i turn this thing on

monkey 06-19-2007 05:52 PM

If only we could buy it with PPC CASH...

Pibe38 06-19-2007 11:48 PM

My initial impressions and observations...
  • Wow I don't know if I should say this... anyone feel the Mogul feels cheap? I mean, the d-pad, the soft keys... I don't know, I feel my 700wx is more robust, like made of better quality materials.
  • I have not installed any apps yet, but I'm worried about the low amount of Program (RAM) memory available.
  • Activating was very easy and the rep I got was very friendly.
  • Windows Live would not sync my personal settings, so sync'ing always failed. Also, why the heck does it have to sync my Hotmail contacts? I don't want to do that but apparently is required to sign in to Messenger?
  • If you for example go to Settings and scroll down all the way down with the thumbwheel, you will not be able to switch tabs. Instead, the thumbwheel keeps jumping from the bottom icon to the current tab.
  • Screen rotation was very quick as far as I have noticed.
  • Both the Software and Music Store are worthless as they are just links to websites, save yourself a Today plugin and add them to your favorites.

Time to start installing apps... will report later!

e-dub 06-19-2007 11:52 PM

two friends of mine that played with another person's 6800 commented on how it didn't feel as robust as the 6700. it is lighter, and from what i gather, the slide doesn't lock in place like 6700.

eric b

Pibe38 06-19-2007 11:55 PM

That's also true, when I click the thumbwheel the keyboard slides out a little.

kybballfan 06-19-2007 11:59 PM

only complaint right now would be access to volume level of systems shounds and the d-pad. They really could have done better with the d-pad. I've had my q too long keep forgetting about the touchscreen..ha

dmackdaddy 06-20-2007 12:15 AM

the only thing I hate so far is its made for a lefty and I keep putting my finger on the camera when I talk on it. the battery cover is flimsy as well. other than that it rocks! oh and when u install slingbox it goes portrait the wrong way but I've informed them of that. the toggle wheel is great when using the keyb ord with ur index finger to move around. btw this was written with the 6800.

kaiguy 06-20-2007 12:50 AM

I'm sending mine back.

It's not that I don't like it, but in the end, I don't feel its worth $600+ (tax and shipping).

It feels a little cheap, there's some weird quirks I don't enjoy (anyone notice that everything under the sun is blocked in PIE for downloads: CABS, WMA streams, zip files, etc.?). While I can really see myself enjoying it after some use (the screen is awesome, its fast, and I like the camera app), I would rather wait a few more months and see what else comes out, if anything. In the meantime I'm happy enough with my 700wx.

PS. I never even activated it. The dead pixels were a dealbreaker (for this specific unit, at least).

Pibe38 06-20-2007 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiguy
...(anyone notice that everything under the sun is blocked in PIE for downloads: CABS, WMA streams, zip files, etc.?)...

Blocked? I'm downloading CABs and ZIPs with no issues with PIE.

garov55 06-20-2007 01:09 AM

well I love my mogul...its deff worth it...only problem is: as mentioned above-when I click the thumbwheel the keyboard slides out a little.
also.. installed
spb mobile shell,memmaid and it seems I can't uninstall them they don't show on the remove programs app.
its just as fast as any custom rom I used( colo+big js)
getting used to it is my problem now (not a big deal)... love it
also installed htc today s plug from the htc touch rom works great..
I have a q for other mogul owners where is the (internet calling app as seen on other wm6 roms)???

Pibe38 06-20-2007 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmackdaddy
...oh and when u install slingbox it goes portrait the wrong way but I've informed them of that...

That's because the current version of SlingPlayer is not WM6-ready.

http://us.slingmedia.com/object/KB-005360.html

I sent an e-mail to join the beta.

dmackdaddy 06-20-2007 01:28 AM

I'm already testing the beta and the problem is still there. If you can call it a problem - its not their fault they decided to make it a lefty.

B18DelSolT 06-20-2007 05:10 AM

i played with my girlfriends 6800, and all i gotta say is that i love it. its a lot faster then my 6700 with every reg hack you can think of. Camera app is also very cool to, and the camera looks great, atleast on the phone lmao. Another thing i like also is that it lets you know when caps is on, or when you have symbole activated, that is a big pet pev of mine for the 6700. So far I installed Opera 8.65, Aim 2.0, Windows Live Search, PHM regedit, and verizons mms cab. Dverything worked just as great as it does on my 6700, pos just a tad faster.

Now the only complaints that i have about the phone is that the dpad yes i do agree feels cheap, and also the thumb wheel does feel as good as a blackberrys, witch was nice and stiff, but otherthen that a great phone and well worth every penny.

P.S. with all that crap installed she still had 142 mb of ram, me on the other hand 12 lol. (same software installed on both phones)

Torx 06-20-2007 05:44 AM

nice little reviews guys, keep em coming.
can someone test out Novii or RemoteControlII, im very curious about the strength of the ir transmitter..

blockburner28 06-20-2007 06:27 AM

So how is the battery life and the earpiece volume on this phone?

shivers 06-20-2007 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibe38
My initial impressions and observations...
  • Wow I don't know if I should say this... anyone feel the Mogul feels cheap? I mean, the d-pad, the soft keys... I don't know, I feel my 700wx is more robust, like made of better quality materials.
  • I have not installed any apps yet, but I'm worried about the low amount of Program (RAM) memory available.
  • Activating was very easy and the rep I got was very friendly.
  • Windows Live would not sync my personal settings, so sync'ing always failed. Also, why the heck does it have to sync my Hotmail contacts? I don't want to do that but apparently is required to sign in to Messenger?
  • If you for example go to Settings and scroll down all the way down with the thumbwheel, you will not be able to switch tabs. Instead, the thumbwheel keeps jumping from the bottom icon to the current tab.
  • Screen rotation was very quick as far as I have noticed.
  • Both the Software and Music Store are worthless as they are just links to websites, save yourself a Today plugin and add them to your favorites.

Time to start installing apps... will report later!

Looking forward to your thoughts after you've had more time with the device. :)

nosbabe88 06-20-2007 10:56 AM

Is anyone having battery problems? I charged mine thsi morning it was done around 730 its not 1045 and its already at 60% and I haven't really used it much.... I dont like this at all

ViPaDawG 06-20-2007 11:03 AM

i haven't really had battery problems. I charged it for most of the day yesterday, took it off the charger around 11PM. left it off teh charger all night, woke up this morning (to an alarm set on the phone, was kind of quite, needs some tweaking), sent a handful of texts, installed a few apps, and surfed the internet for about 20 minutes on the phone, and it's now 11:02AM EST, so pretty much 12 hours later, and I still have 80% battery left.

nosbabe88 06-20-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViPaDawG
i haven't really had battery problems. I charged it for most of the day yesterday, took it off the charger around 11PM. left it off teh charger all night, woke up this morning (to an alarm set on the phone, was kind of quite, needs some tweaking), sent a handful of texts, installed a few apps, and surfed the internet for about 20 minutes on the phone, and it's now 11:02AM EST, so pretty much 12 hours later, and I still have 80% battery left.

ughhh ur so lucky. I think my battery is fucked up and I need a new one. I probably have to call sprint to get one I dought any stores would actually have them.

Anyone else get emails sent back to them when they send one out? I have a gmail account on my screen so wheni get a message it lets me know but everytime I sent one out to someone it sends me back that message.. WAt can I do to stop that?

KingGanon 06-20-2007 11:14 AM

my store hasn't received anything on the Mogul yet. the only reason i know its out is because i randomly checked the sprint site monday cause i was bored. if we do get anything i'll post up what we've gotten.

Pibe38 06-20-2007 12:26 PM

Couple of new things...
  • My battery works fine, maybe even better than I expected it to. Charged it last night for 4 hours as it said on the manual, activated the phone, installed some apps by downloading them from the 'net, sync'ed with my exchange server, played with the settings, etc. and I still have 60%. Keep in mind I unplugged it last night at 9 PM EST and it's now 12 Noon EST.
  • I'm very ticked off with the thumbwheel on the left hand side, it serves no purpose whatsoever, the driver that controls it needs to be revamped. I installed iLauncher and when I scroll down with the wheel and get to iLauncher the wheel will keep going down to the next plugin instead of scrolling through the shortcuts on iLauncher as it does with the HTC Home plugin included.
  • I cannot believe we cannot re-map the Windows and OK button. How am I supposed to map SmallMenu to the Windows key and the iLauncher Task Manager to the OK button? This is big for 1-handed navigation and I was able to do it on my 700wx.

So far these are the new things I have noticed. I guess Palm did do an awesome job at customizing WM5, I'm seriously thinking the Mogul may not be the device for me, but this is only the second day, so I still have more time to keep exploring as I may be missing something.

KeifR 06-20-2007 02:03 PM

Security hole - lock code bypass

If anyone else is protective like me and has a lock code set up on their phone, check this out.

1.) Lock the phone (setting it to lock in 0 minutes and pushing the power button is an easy way).
2.) Call your phone from another phone, and answer your phone.
3.) Push the OK button (may work with other buttons) while you are in the call (this should bring you to where you can see the talk, end, call history, and mute buttons).
4.) Push the hang up button.
5.) Push the OK button again.

You should now be at your regular today screen, bypassing the lock screen / lock code entirely. If someone cannot replicate this by using these same steps, please let me know that I am crazy. Will probably record video later.

Anyone have other quirks?

KeifR 06-20-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Couple of new things...

...I cannot believe we cannot re-map the Windows and OK button. How am I supposed to map SmallMenu to the Windows key and the iLauncher Task Manager to the OK button? This is big for 1-handed navigation and I was able to do it on my 700wx....

To me, one-handed operation is a big deal, and I think the fact that you really can't effectively type anything with one hand on this phone is a real problem.

When sending a text message or e-mail on my 6700, I would often use the popup keypad that looks similar to the keypad on a standard phone. Am I missing something here, or did they entirely omit that type of touch screen input on the 6800?

damigs 06-20-2007 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garov55

Can you shed some light on this. I would like to know more as it sounds interesting. I have a Mogul as of yesterday and would like to try this.

nmeister 06-20-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damigs
Quote:

Originally Posted by garov55

Can you shed some light on this. I would like to know more as it sounds interesting. I have a Mogul as of yesterday and would like to try this.

I am assuming it is this.. http://freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-down...ugin-v1-0.html

Malatesta 06-20-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blockburner28

although I do no have one, quite a few reports at su.com are saying that earpiece and speaker phone volume are quite low, comparable to the 6700 and a few aren't pleased.

anyone with a device want to corroborate?

KeifR 06-20-2007 04:32 PM

The volume on my 6800 is good, significantly better than my 6700 in fact (I had one of the older red-logo 6700s). Also, increasing and decreasing the handset volume in a call now changes the volume when using a bluetooth earpiece -- it did not on my 6700 with the same earpiece.

iammike 06-20-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

I guess Palm did do an awesome job at customizing WM5, I'm seriously thinking the Mogul may not be the device for me, but this is only the second day, so I still have more time to keep exploring as I may be missing something.

Honestly, you couldn't describe my feelings better right now. No doubt the Mogul is a nice device especially for 6700 users out there upgrading.....but something in me is starting to wonder if it was really worth the cost compared to my 700wx.

I'm slowly coming to a realization that the only thing I might miss if I went back to the 700wx is the nice, big, bright screen.

Just like you, I have time so I'm going to play more, wait for more stuff to be figured out and see if that opinion changes but I'm certainly missing how quickly I can do things 1 handed on the Treo (mostly because the D-pad is really starting to bother me on the Mogul) and how the Treo just feels so sturdy in my hands.

Time will tell.

nosbabe88 06-20-2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iammike
Quote:

I guess Palm did do an awesome job at customizing WM5, I'm seriously thinking the Mogul may not be the device for me, but this is only the second day, so I still have more time to keep exploring as I may be missing something.

Honestly, you couldn't describe my feelings better right now. No doubt the Mogul is a nice device especially for 6700 users out there upgrading.....but something in me is starting to wonder if it was really worth the cost compared to my 700wx.

I'm slowly coming to a realization that the only thing I might miss if I went back to the 700wx is the nice, big, bright screen.

Just like you, I have time so I'm going to play more, wait for more stuff to be figured out and see if that opinion changes but I'm certainly missing how quickly I can do things 1 handed on the Treo (mostly because the D-pad is really starting to bother me on the Mogul) and how the Treo just feels so sturdy in my hands.

Time will tell.

omg You men and ur bulky hands!! I guess this is a womens phone cuz I am absolutly in love!! :D

iammike 06-20-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosbabe88
omg You men and ur bulky hands!! I guess this is a womens phone cuz I am absolutly in love!! :D

Ironically, the 700wx is the one with the smaller keyboard. :-p

I just find that with the D-Pad, if I want to go up, I can't just put my finger on the upper portion and push down like I can for Down, Left and Right. I have to be mindful to push down AND up at the same time.

Using that technique I'd guess it works correctly 8ish out of 10 times but meh. I find doing most things takes me longer on the 6800 then the 700wx just due to, this is just my opinion, poor one handed use whereas I rate the 700wx very very high on the one handed use.

Like I said, I'll give it time to get more used to the phone and to see what hacks and such come out after some time but that feeling of wanting to go back to my 700wx is creeping up on me more and more.

If I didn't own either one and was just having to decide between the two, I'd probably end up going with the 700wx but when you consider it's costing me almost $600 to switch to the 6800, I doubt I stick with it unless I become nothing but happy with it.

starfury1 06-21-2007 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malatesta
Quote:

Originally Posted by blockburner28

although I do no have one, quite a few reports at su.com are saying that earpiece and speaker phone volume are quite low, comparable to the 6700 and a few aren't pleased.

anyone with a device want to corroborate?

I think the volume is better than the 6700, it was really low till i figured out how to raise and lower the volume, i miss having the volume control on the side.. lol

starfury1 06-21-2007 04:56 AM

I am generally happy, with my 6800. it will take time to get used to the differences from the 6700 to the 6800, but i feel that by the time i do it will be second nature too... though while texting when you go to add a ? you open file explorer is kind of a pain but now im only doing that 2 or three times a day as compared to 6 or 7 the first day...

The battery is better than i thought it would be, i did have the extended battery on the 6700 which was akin to having a small nuclear power plant attached to your phone... so those that had the extended battery on the 6700 probably wont be happy with the standard battery on the 6800, but compared to the stock battery of the 6700 its better... of course i was running the extended battery down and had to charge through midday anyway, simply because of my high wireless use and bluetooth for my mp3s.

Its all going to depend on how much you use your device which is obvious.

I do like internet explorer being far better, but on the other hand its a memory hog like you wouldnt believe...

Software store would be nice if the sprint servers could recognize the device lol

i havent played with the GPS yet so i dont know.

oh and the LED's are freaking bright!!! if your charging it in the room your sleeping, you have to turn it over, or you have an instant night light... and dont forget to turn off your bluetooth its going to wake u up lol...

more later...

flipside 06-21-2007 05:35 AM

I'm coming from a 700p and the actual phone ear piece volume seems low to me. Speakerphone is a little lower as well.

I installed tomtom6 and it was unable to recognize the internal GPS. Sprint is selling their nav package with the phone, but there's no way to use it yet. I talked to the people at telenav and they said it's not ready for the Mogul yet. I have a bluetooth GPS on the way though.

I signed up for the trial of "Sprint Family Locator" (sfl.sprint dot com) and it pegged my location exactly to the street number.

I tried locating my wifes treo 650 and the location was 2 miles off.

edit: I found the reg hack for having the built in battery meter, but for some reason it does not show up in either the top or bottom bar, it creates a new line on the today screen. The battery meter thats included with the resco explorer today plugin seems to be working ok though

Torx 06-21-2007 08:33 AM

hahaha, i like this statement.. was she telling you it was 2 miles off, or did you verify this all yourself??

and has anyone tested the windows mobile update feature??
im curious as to how and what could be updated..

flipside 06-21-2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torx

hahaha, i like this statement.. was she telling you it was 2 miles off, or did you verify this all yourself??

Her 650 was sitting on the desk next to my Mogul :)