PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   text message size (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=32535)

lunchboxroundpants 07-21-2008 01:47 AM

text message size

is there a way to increase the number of characters from 160 when text messaging?

Darkjedi 07-21-2008 02:17 AM

Re: text message size

Unfortunately this is a limitation of the SMS standard as defined by GSM. The only way to send a text message over 160 characters is to break it into more than one text message.

If you wish to learn more about SMS you can go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS#Message_size

Rbowen 07-21-2008 09:19 AM

There are options on the number of characters allowed in a text message.
In the US, we typically use a 7-bit format which limits the messsage to 160 characters.
Other parts of the world use either 8-bit which is limited to 140 characters or Unicode which is limited to 70-characters. (Just a note, Canada uses the 8-bit format to allow French characters, but for some reason the Canadian cell carriers reduce the message size to 134 characters)

There is software available to install on the end-users phone whch will compress the text message and increase the number of characters.
Ex. SmiZip is a java script that allows the message size to be as much as 400 characters.

This does not help on the receiver's end if they have not also installed SmiZip or a similar product.

elmerfudpucker 07-21-2008 10:37 AM

If i got to send that much info I will call or email. Texting isnt a strong intrest to me tho, my mogul is for surfing craigslist!!!!

lunchboxroundpants 07-21-2008 09:11 PM

only two of my friends have titans pretty much everybody is using a razr or hue. i know the razr has a 450 character capacity. wonder is they would need something like SmiZip or if it would just take the longer text message? also where would you find smizip looked all over and could not find it.

jpc0480 07-22-2008 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunchboxroundpants (Post 354773)
is there a way to increase the number of characters from 160 when text messaging?

Nope... That is the industry standard...

arparent 07-22-2008 08:50 AM

MMS has a much larger limmit. Some carriers will send your message over MMS if it exceeds the limmit for SMS. The user and recippient don't see a difference. Maybe when we get true MMS support we will be able to send longer text messages as well.

pstar 08-29-2008 10:47 PM

hi guys,
can anyone help me change my sms settings back to 7bit.
I upgraded my rom to wm6.1 and now it's set to 8bit 140 characters.
I can't find where to change the setting or where to set the sms split number back to 160 like in wm6.0

And search doesn't come up when searching for "sms" "140" "160" or anything under 4 chars

Darkjedi 08-30-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstar (Post 398635)
hi guys,
can anyone help me change my sms settings back to 7bit.
I upgraded my rom to wm6.1 and now it's set to 8bit 140 characters.
I can't find where to change the setting or where to set the sms split number back to 160 like in wm6.0

And search doesn't come up when searching for "sms" "140" "160" or anything under 4 chars

hmm weird, what country region is it set to? typically the 8bit version includes other symbols that the 7bit doesn't need especially in an english speaking country. My 6.1 defaults to 160 character limit though.

pstar 08-30-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkjedi007 (Post 399181)
hmm weird, what country region is it set to?

I understand the 7bit and 8bit sms settings. I just can't find where to change it. :scratch:
where do i look to see what country it's set too?
I'm in NZ And i pay for every sms sent and 140 chars makes a difference to my monthly bill.

can anyone help?
:violent2: