PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   gmail and pop email question (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=22330)

lewdog50 03-25-2008 06:48 PM

gmail and pop email question

Have searched the threads , but I have not found an answer yet.

I just started routing my email addresses through gmail to make use of their spam filters as they work better than the ones on my email server.

I have configured the pop3 access on my phone to download my email from gmail, no problems there.

My problem is when the phone checks the gmail server for new email, it clears all of the email that was in my inbox on the phone.

I have gone through the settings on the phone many times looking for anything I might have screwed up during the set-up process.

I know IMAP might be the better option for me, but to me this problem is werid and would like to solve it.

Any help would be great.

infidel 03-25-2008 07:24 PM

Re: gmail and pop email question

put "recent:" before your username in the pop3 settings.

This will prevent it from deleting new messages everytime it checks.

Of course, as of 30 seconds ago I noticed that clearing my inbox of all 500 e-mails I've gotten over the past few months.... they are all back. So I'm back to the drawing board myself.

rickyboy 03-25-2008 07:31 PM

Use mail2web for all your email needs. Its fast and never has given me any issues!

lewdog50 03-25-2008 07:57 PM

sorry rickyboy, I would rather not add another email program to my phone or have to access a website for my mail but thanks for the suggestion

I have not tried the "recent:" edit before, but it might work. :) I swear when I had my phone directly accessing my email accounts (not the gmail one), i did not have this problem. So this problem might be specific to gmail

jamesus 03-25-2008 11:14 PM

If you want to have your emails stay in your inbox, you can either make sure all are marked as "unread" or use the IMAP settings.

lewdog50 03-26-2008 10:32 AM

Jamesus,
I know I can use IMAP, but it does not matter if the emails in the inbox on my phone are marked as unread or read. As soon as the phone checks the gmail servers again, it erases all previously downloaded email in my inbox (read or unread)

jamesus 03-26-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog50 (Post 230608)
Jamesus,
I know I can use IMAP, but it does not matter if the emails in the inbox on my phone are marked as unread or read. As soon as the phone checks the gmail servers again, it erases all previously downloaded email in my inbox (read or unread)

That's the limitation of using POP access, which is why most of the users have IMAP configured.

Is there any specific reason that you are using POP?

InvincibleLiving 03-26-2008 01:23 PM

more recently i'd had this issue with my gmail accounts, adding in the "recent:" helped resolve it for me... everything is back to normal. THANKS!!

lewdog50 03-26-2008 01:43 PM

When I had my normal email accounts(not gmail) configured on the the phone for pop3 access, I did not have this problem. The messages would stay on the phone until I deleted them.

Right now I have my phone configured using pop3 to appear as that I am sending email from my normal email address not my gmail one. My gmail address does appear on the emails I send from the phone, but when someone replies to my message it goes to my normal email address.

I guess I am not sure if IMAP can do this

jamesus 03-26-2008 01:53 PM

I don't have my Gmail address send as another one, so I'm not sure if IMAP could support that.