PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Jim
N00b
Pocket PC: 5 6800s, 2 TPs
Carrier: Sprint

Jim is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
live in FL...showing up in PA on speedtest.com...have PA area code...problematic?

I have my old 610 area code for my cell number since I used to live in PA (near Philadelphia). My MSID is a 484 area code because I ported my number onto Sprint and the MSID is the original phone number that was issued before the port was completed.

I now live in FL in 772 area code. When I use speedtest.com, I show up on the map near the 484/610 area in PA.

My stupid question:

Does the MSID or cell number have any affect on my speeds whatsoever? Does anyone actually know?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker

slvrap1 is becoming a great contributor
Re: live in FL...showing up in PA on speedtest.com...have PA area code...problematic?

I live in florida also and the same happens to me, i get decent speeds for being almost 2k miles away
Old 03-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

fireftr214 is a n00b
Re: live in FL...showing up in PA on speedtest.com...have PA area code...problematic?

your speed tests are showing those results because your phone is reaching out to the internet via DNS servers located in another state. I too live in the 772 area code and I am on Sprint as well. My DNS location always comes up as IL.....because that is where the server is located that puts your phone out to the internet. You could be standing on the moon or at the bottom of the ocean and still have the same results.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

meatlocker is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr214 View Post
your speed tests are showing those results because your phone is reaching out to the internet via DNS servers located in another state. I too live in the 772 area code and I am on Sprint as well. My DNS location always comes up as IL.....because that is where the server is located that puts your phone out to the internet. You could be standing on the moon or at the bottom of the ocean and still have the same results.
Hooray for the 772!!!
Unbelievable...I thought I was the only person living in Podunk...(I am actually in Vero Beach).

Anyway, this is absolutely correct - DNS serves up your internet location, not necessarily your "true" location. My DNS has me in Ohio.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Jim
N00b
Pocket PC: 5 6800s, 2 TPs
Threadstarter

Jim is a n00b

Cool guys...thanks for the replies - 1043 dl and 190 ul is not all bad considering there are ZERO major cities within nearly two hour drive away.

Smack between fort lauderdale and Orlando.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker

slvrap1 is becoming a great contributor

So being that far away from the server does that hinder the speed results ?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan