PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 07:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6800
Carrier: Sprint

datapusher is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question about program memory and installed program location

When you install programs to the device, are you taking away from the devices ram? Meaning, I usually have around 15-20Mb of memory when my device is running. If Install programs to the device instqaed of installing them to the storage card, am I hurting ram?

If not, what would be the purpose of installing to the storage card over the device.

I have always installed programs to the storage card instead of the device in order to preserve ram. but I think that logic might be in error. I do however install today plugins like WP and UL and BS to the device. i do this so that it is not constantly accessing the storage card and draining thew battery.

is anything i said correct or am I way off base and how.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 07:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 700WX >> Mogul 6800 :-)

rgv_warrior is just getting started
Re: Question about program memory and installed program location

I don't think so. There is onboard memory for your programs and then there is RAM where the program run in. If you check your task manager, you will see just how much RAM a certain program takes. Hope this helps.

It is the unsung that continue the fight with plenty of guts and very little glory. RGV_WARRIOR 2007

If someone helps you out, give them props by clicking the "thanks" icon.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul

otacon72 is a n00b

You just want to becareful in that certain programs must be installed in system memory, not the storage card. I remember on my Q I installed Fizz Weather on the storage card and turned the Q on without it..... Q didn't like that too much...lol
Old 03-22-2008, 08:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

datapusher is a n00b

So installing programs to the device DOES NOT affect available ram?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by datapusher View Post
So installing programs to the device DOES NOT affect available ram?
Well, you have to look at the fact that the program you load will install on device storage memory but will run in program memory. As mentioned by another poster, there are certain programs that must install in main memory and not in storage memory. They typically will run faster in device storage memory. There is approximately 165 megs of device storage memory while there is on 48 megs in program memory. This latter is what we mostly look at to make sure that we can run the programs that are installed in device storage memory.

For instance, a program may take up 5 megs of device storage space but only take up 1 meg to run in program memory.

When you run out of program memory your device will ask you to close a running application or simply lock up.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

datapusher is a n00b

Well whether it is installed in the device or storage... When the app itself runs, it will be taking up program memory. Meaning if you install the program to the storage card, it will still be taking up program memory on the device. Just like if it was installed in the device. Correct?

So why would you install programs to the storage card. What are the advantages?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Well, it is my understanding that program memory and storage memory are two distinct areas. They do not share this space at all. Older version of PPC used to let you make changes to these spaces by giving up more space to one another using a slider. I have not seen that in 6.x version. So, to answer your question whether installing an application in either main storage or the storage card takes up space in program memory, I would say no.

Let's look at it this way in comparison to your computer:

When you install an application, it stores it on the hard drive. On the device this would be either device storage memory or the card. ( This is where programs are stored).

When you run the application on the computer, it loads into RAM. On the device this would be program memory. ( This is where programs run).

The only reason that I would load an application on main storage memory instead of the storage card would be because of speed. Some applications need to be installed into main storage memory in order to work correctly.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

HobbesIsReal is keeping up the good workHobbesIsReal is keeping up the good work

I wrote a very detailed article on how to Install on a WM phone. Here are a couple points that might help:

How To: Install, Uninstall, and Transfer Files on Windows Mobile

Quote:
Where to Install Software

Since on a WM phone you usually have a choice of installing any program either in the phone's internal memory or on the SD card, I am often asked how do you decide which one to choose for each application installed. For the most part, officially you can install programs on either the internal memory or on an SD card... but in practice, you will want to choose where you will install them. Programs running from internal memory will run faster, but there is only so much internal memory available. The SD card has the advantage of a huge amount of space, but programs will take longer to load. Here are the guidelines that I use to decide where to install a program:
  1. If it is a program or utility that is going to be used on the Today screen, a system utility (i.e. memory management, file explorer, email client, Internet browser, etc.), or a program that I know I will use on a daily or regular basis, I will install it in internal memory.
  2. If it is something like a game, needs a huge amount of space, something that I know I will not use on regular basis, etc... I will install it on my SD card.
  3. There are also programs that you can install where the program in internal memory and then save the data it uses on an SD card, ex. a GPS program goes in internal memory and the maps on the SD card or an email client in internal memory while setting it to save all emails and attachments on my SD card. With this stuff, it's usually fine to install the program to main memory.
  4. If it is something that has a high amount of personal information, i.e. something like Splash ID, I will install it in internal memory because I can lose my SD card fairly easy, but it is harder to lose just my internal memory.
Complete Tutorial: http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/howto/how_to_install_uninstall_and_t.html

Blog | Reviews | Forums
Old 03-24-2008, 12:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Thanks Hobbes. Greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular