PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Titan
Carrier: Sprint

matthewdavisnelson is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Applications installed on MicroSD

Greetings and thanks in advance to anyone willing to field my question.

I just purchased my first Pocket PC, an HTC Titan, and I love using it. Other than Google Maps, I have not installed any additional third-party applications on it but I anticipate doing just this in the near future.

While perusing the forums of Spb Software House, I read a thread (http://www.spbclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9895) in which a question was posed about installing Spb software on a device's main memory versus its MicroSD card. I recognize that some software only allows for installation on main memory while others allow a user to determine the installation location. I also realize that some software, in general, functions better when installed on main memory as opposed a MicroSD card.

Generally speaking, is it better to leave the main memory free of installed apps, meaning apps are installed on a MicroSD card? If a device is hard-reset (effectively restoring it to its OEM defaults) and yet its MicroSD card contains installed apps, will the reset device recognize the installed apps (or must they be uninstalled and then reinstalled)?

I appreciate everyone's assistance!

Matt
ROM Version 2.17.651.0
Old 12-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

shellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to shellguy Send a message via MSN to shellguy Send a message via Yahoo to shellguy
you should install apps to the main memory that start on startup of the device, due to the sd card not starting right away, things like today menus and such.. other programs like ur money stuff or something like that could be stored on card i would assuem..

Will
Old 12-13-2007, 02:04 PM
HTC Soldier
Pocket PC: EVO 3-1/2G
Carrier: Sprinter Cell

xweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellguy View Post
you should install apps to the main memory that start on startup of the device, due to the sd card not starting right away...
I have ALL my .cabs, etc saved on my SD card. It is from the SD card that install them if I need to. When installing a program/application, I install it to my device. If your programs/applications are installed on the SD card and you remove the SD card from your phone, the shortcuts on your device that link the programs/applications are now rendered useless and fail to start until the SD card is reconnected.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
I install everything to my SD card. I don't feel the need to remove the card as I will usually send files via Bluetooth or if I plug it into the USB, I just go to Explore in my Desktop ActiveSynce or explore through My Computer.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Smile Applications installed on MicroSD

jason25, shellguy, and xweaponx: Thank you so much for shedding some light on this subject.

jason25: Since you install all apps to your MicroSD card, have you ever encountered issues with your device not being able to locate (and use) those apps?

Per xweaponx's post, I understand that, if you install apps on the card and then remove the card, the device could not possibly use them. I am very curious to know whether hard-resetting your device would pose an issue. My assumption is that reseting the device in this manner wipes the registry clean, thus destroying the paths to those apps no matter where they are installed.

I would imagine that, as long as one doesn't mind reinstalling those apps again on either a device or its card, hard-resets wouldn't pose much of an issue.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Quote:
Originally Posted by xweaponx View Post
I have ALL my .cabs, etc saved on my SD card. It is from the SD card that install them if I need to. When installing a program/application, I install it to my device. If your programs/applications are installed on the SD card and you remove the SD card from your phone, the shortcuts on your device that link the programs/applications are now rendered useless and fail to start until the SD card is reconnected.
yay! I thought I was the only person that has 470001354634546 cabs on my sd card... I always have them because I hard reset like a slut. (someone's used that phrase before...)

However, I try to install all my games and non-system utilities to my SD card. I install the important things like Spb, Resco, WBA etc to the main mem.

And it is really annoying to remove your sd card and have none of your apps work.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Question Applications installed on MicroSD

Great information, saumaun? I really appreciate your help!

Let me ask you this: If you install a number of apps such as Spb (Backup; Mobile Shell; Pocket Plus; others?), Resco File Explorer, and WBA (WisBar Advance?) on the main memory—all apps in which I am definitely interested in using—how does your devices memory and performance fare?

I haven't installed many apps on my Titan, but thus far I, too, have been "hard[-]reset[ing] like a slut." My primary concern is being able to reinstall my apps directly from my MicroSD card and having them function properly between hard-resets.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

Artanis is keeping up the good workArtanis is keeping up the good work
Question Re: Applications installed on MicroSD

bump I have always wondered about the performance issue. Does phone perform better with progs installed on sd card, is there even a difference if prog is installed on main mem.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Tour

nebula is keeping up the good worknebula is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to nebula Send a message via MSN to nebula Send a message via Yahoo to nebula
Re: Applications installed on MicroSD

Mogul has plenty of memory, Why would you need to install your apps on SD card?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: The Pro 2.0

Ovendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuff
Re: Applications installed on MicroSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
bump I have always wondered about the performance issue. Does phone perform better with progs installed on sd card, is there even a difference if prog is installed on main mem.
I have found that if you use any type of program launcher from the Today screen, (ie, SPB Pocket Plus, iLauncher, HTC Home Plug, Ultimate Launcher, etc.) that the device will drastically slow down if the programs being launched are installed to the storage card.

My advice would be any items that can you will be using that are linked to the today screen need to be installed to the main memory. Some people might say that the "speed" or class of the storage card (how quickly it transfers data) does affect the amount of delay you see.

Regardless, thats how I roll.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan