PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Mogul Update - CES News (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=15593)

ReD-DaWg-OnE 01-08-2008 06:32 AM

Mogul Update - CES News

I was talking to some of the HTC people at the Microsoft booth and they told me Jan. 28th for the release of the update that enables Rev. A and GPS, just thought i would pass along the news.

itsall_cooool 01-08-2008 06:46 AM

I wont hold my breath ....... LoL

Vertigo 01-08-2008 10:12 AM

Sprint, HTC and Microsoft worse combination ever!

migz1134 01-08-2008 10:14 AM

BLAH!!! I hope they truly give us the Rev A and GPS and not just another BT fix...

schettj 01-08-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReD-DaWg-OnE (Post 157047)
I was talking to some of the HTC people at the Microsoft booth and they told me Jan. 28th for the release of the update that enables Rev. A and GPS.

What year? Lol. Boothspeak for "please go away, thank you!"

aughsum 01-08-2008 05:21 PM

not holding my breath. whatever we get next will probably be just another kick in the shin.

Vacs 01-08-2008 05:34 PM

What about Verizon?

Has anyone heard about GPS being enabled on the Verizon 6800?

SpecialAgentSicari 01-08-2008 05:45 PM

If/when they do come out with the update it will probably be filled with a ton of bugs and be unusable.

Joeriginal 01-08-2008 06:17 PM

Well let me be the first to say something positive about this news...atleast they didn't laugh this time.....

Yay 4 Juggs 01-08-2008 06:21 PM

they probably waited till he walked away before laughing so as not to drawn attention to themselves.

iagodfather 01-08-2008 10:01 PM

Since this news would be coming from a Microsoft booth, would anyone know if this update is supposed to include windows mobile 6.1 update? Things i've read about it mention it won't be out until february

jayweezie21 01-08-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yay 4 Juggs (Post 157365)
they probably waited till he walked away before laughing so as not to drawn attention to themselves.

HA now that was classic

imagine all the people that are counting down the minute till the 28th. HAHAHA

sprints / htc's "promises" are SHIT bottomline and all the vet mogul users know it...

19 days 2 hours and 36 minutes WHOOHOOOOOOOO hahaha

freeza 01-08-2008 11:07 PM

Is this normal?

i hope the mogul gets fixed a lot.

Joeriginal 01-09-2008 12:49 AM

Basically Sprint is laughing at us shmucks, who are eagerly awaiting, and super excited about recieving a glorious update to our phone, with features IT SHOULD OF HAD IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

sup191 01-09-2008 12:51 AM

I'd be more interested to know if they ever plan on releasing Sprint TV for the Mogul, unless the update to Rev A includes it.

kevinjames06 01-09-2008 12:58 AM

i would love for sprint tv to finally work on my mogul

viper15c 01-09-2008 01:04 AM

i have to say it would be nice if it was that soon. personally im happy with the rom i am using. i have no issues with it what so ever.

itsall_cooool 01-09-2008 03:01 AM

I had a dream that the new update had GPS enabled, Rev A, the bluetooth was fixed, and most important, the WM 6.1 with a new interface that looks just like an i-f%$#%Phone so all the iEnvious will stop begging for "an app that makes my Mogul look like an iPhone"

btw ... the REAL Santa Clause announced the update and the EASTER BUNNY gave a 'how-to" demo on how to update

anyway, back to reality... wasn't Bill Gates spotted using an iPhone? LMBO

ImBatman 01-09-2008 03:52 AM

Anyone see the WM 7 at palminfocenter.com looks ideal for HTC Touch with its new features. I wonder how long it will take to get the upgrade.
Here are some images.
http://www.palminfocenter.com/images...s-mobile-7.jpg
Check out more pics engadget.com

nuguy 01-09-2008 03:52 AM

JesusChristquityerdamnbitchin' most of the updates (minus one) have been significant improvements that we blend together to make something superior to them. Even though I'm w/ vzw I still am looking forward to the update 'cause then it will be blended up in the kitchen and served up on a silver plater for all the chefs to cook up nice n hot!

Should we have to 'put up w/ all this bs' -no. there are 'alternatives' I suppose... In the end, to me this is the best we're going to find out there today, 1-2 years from now these may seem like a 486dx2, yet today we're still at the edge of the curl... Ride the wave that's here, don't worry about the one that hasn't got here yet.

Ah hell men (and women) life ain't fair, but when htc, sprint, vzw, ms and the rest hand you lemons....

find someone with vodka!

ReD-DaWg-OnE 01-09-2008 05:17 AM

I did ask them about WM 6.1 they said they have it in the labs and were planing on getting it out to their for the current devices, but it is up to the carrier.

No1ustad 01-09-2008 05:43 AM

vodka and lemons? i guess vodka lemons and frangelico with sugar rims make nice chocolate cake shots...

aaanyways. griping here when we're all anxious in the first place isn't gonna help. either gripe to them.... or mebbe have some chocolate cake shots...

schettj 01-09-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReD-DaWg-OnE (Post 157643)
I did ask them about WM 6.1 they said they have it in the labs and were planing on getting it out to their for the current devices, but it is up to the carrier.

Where have I heard that one before? Hmmmm WM6 for the Apache? Naw...

Our best hope is they get the rev-a (and yeah, gps) out for the mogul. The rest can be done ourselves, but that one they have to do.

blasphemous_prime 01-09-2008 10:57 AM

i dunno about this release date, but i'm gonna check the site for it starting the 28th.

Success100 01-09-2008 11:07 AM

im not holding my breath messing around waiting on sprint. Well be able through time travel thru mobile data connections before we see a rom update that actually GIVES us Gps and EVDO rev.a.

itsall_cooool 01-09-2008 11:43 AM

Now I want rev.A, GPS ~AND~ Nextel Push-To-Talk since Sprint is now selling hybrid phones. I'm sure we can re-map one of our numerous buttons .....

eehrhard 01-09-2008 02:20 PM

I dont get the whole push to talk thing. I find it annoying when I am somewhere and can hear someones PTT conversation. I guess its good for people that would normally carry a 2 way or but I dont see how I would use it at all.

billy54554 01-09-2008 02:30 PM

OH Ye of little faith. Why dont we just wait and see what shakes out. I have delayed trading my Mogul for a Touch or a Treo to see what the revision will bring. I still have my Blackberry that is GPS enabled and hoping that HTC will enable GPS on the Mogul. If not, and the current bugs arent fixed, then I'm gone. Wait and see is attitude that I have adapted. BW

specv 01-09-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 157734)
Where have I heard that one before? Hmmmm WM6 for the Apache? Naw...

Our best hope is they get the rev-a (and yeah, gps) out for the mogul. The rest can be done ourselves, but that one they have to do.

well the apache was about 2 years old when wm6 hit, the mogul is still a bit young in its life cycle. They didnt offer wm6 for the apache because then no one would buy the mogul. So they will either release it for the mogul or release a new phone. Not that I want to pay $400 for a new phone but I would rather a new 6900 or mogul2 this fall than an update for the mogul. Its a nice phone but hindered too much by hardware faults to be as good as it could be

schettj 01-09-2008 03:01 PM

So... you're agreeing with me that WM6.1 won't ever be offered for the mogul in a Sprint ROM?

I thought you were ;)

Raheinm 01-09-2008 03:16 PM

i really dont think it would be a good idea to release wm6.1 for the mogul but, it would be a good fit for the touch. mainly bc wm6 is is killing the mogul's ram. it's like windows xp for your home pc, 1gb is fine. but when you have vista home prem/ult. you need at least 2gb. so in other words a new operating system requires more ram. so thats why i say wm6.1 is better for the touch

aughsum 01-09-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsall_cooool (Post 157767)
Now I want rev.A, GPS ~AND~ Nextel Push-To-Talk since Sprint is now selling hybrid phones. I'm sure we can re-map one of our numerous buttons .....

*facepalm*

hybrid phones used iden for ptt, mogul has no iden hardware.

besides its annoying. "yo g chirp me back." "damn neyuh I be chillin wit deez hoes".. don't wanna hear it.

throughts.. the update will come out on the 28th. sprint will make good on its gps promise but it won't be standalone, the phone will be updated with the api layer for agps but it will be modified so current location hacks won't work. people will try and work around it until the next model comes out to no avail. wm 6.1 further cripples the phone in regard to ram useage. sprint cuts its losses with the mogul and releases a mogul2 in the fall that will be the exact same thing just with more ram. barely. an amount that's only 2-3 years outdated instead of 4.

does not offer free upgrades for mogul users and no tradeup options.

Vacs 01-09-2008 03:54 PM

I just don't get no respect

I keep asking if anyone heard if Verizon was going to have an update that would enable GPS on their version of the Mogul. Anyone on Verizon heard anything? How about nuguy?

dishe 01-09-2008 04:43 PM

NO. We have heard nothing from Verizon.
And given their track record with "enabling features", I'd give it a great big don't-hold-your-breath.

Sheesh.

monkey 01-09-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReD-DaWg-OnE (Post 157047)
I was talking to some of the HTC people at the Microsoft booth and they told me Jan. 28th for the release of the update that enables Rev. A and GPS, just thought i would pass along the news.

why not have it for display with the update?

funpunx 01-09-2008 04:53 PM

verizon 6800 user here. true VZW's track record for enabling features is piss poor. however, they've said from the beginning that they will be releasing firmware for Rev. A so we're getting that at the very least. GPS? i'm not holding my breathe on that one.

ReD-DaWg-OnE 01-09-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey (Post 158023)
why not have it for display with the update?

Don't ask me, I was just relaying what i heard. They will be their tomorrow until the show closes at 3PM, feel free to ask them all th questions you want.

Joeriginal 01-09-2008 06:24 PM

You could ask them for a demo of the new Rom upgrade, but all they will do is take a dump in a brown paper bag and hand it to you.

Vacs 01-09-2008 06:49 PM

Verizon GPS (More on I don't get no respect)

Yeah, before I got the Motorola razr for me & my wife I researched the phones features. Based on what I found I signed up for 2 years & bought 2 of them. By the time I discovered that Verizon purposely disabled many features on the phone the trial period was over. And to my shame I spent $30.00 for their software which was nothing but a usb driver! Its almost like buying a car only to find out that the "left turn" feature is disabled (but of course you can buy that feature for $10 bucks a month).

Because of this it wouldn't surprise me at all if Verizon disabled the GPS so they could sell the VZ Navigator service. I guess I'll wait to see what happens. If I can get GPS on a Sprint 6800 then goodbye Verizon.

PS: I wonder about the legality of all this disabling of functions on these phones. Once purchased these things are totally the customers property. If a phone company takes any measures to interfere with the owners operation of their property, where this operation has no effect on the phone companies network, then this cannot be legal. (See some of the postings concerning GPS on the 6700.)

pflatlyne 01-09-2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aughsum (Post 157956)
*facepalm*

hybrid phones used iden for ptt, mogul has no iden hardware.

besides its annoying. "yo g chirp me back." "damn neyuh I be chillin wit deez hoes".. don't wanna hear it.

throughts.. the update will come out on the 28th. sprint will make good on its gps promise but it won't be standalone, the phone will be updated with the api layer for agps but it will be modified so current location hacks won't work. people will try and work around it until the next model comes out to no avail. wm 6.1 further cripples the phone in regard to ram useage. sprint cuts its losses with the mogul and releases a mogul2 in the fall that will be the exact same thing just with more ram. barely. an amount that's only 2-3 years outdated instead of 4.

does not offer free upgrades for mogul users and no tradeup options.

From what I was told,sprint is betting on evdo rev a to run a ptt service over IP. I understand evdo rev a has quality of service features that will make it work as well as iden,which sprint-nextel considers the gold standard of ptt. I dont know if the mogul will support this,but I heard that sprint wants to transition off iden,and the only reason they even still have it is ptt.

As for gps,everything I have read describing what agps is,says its an improvement on gps,not a gimped substitute like people seem to say. Its supposed to have the ability to run off the tower,or the sattelite or preferably both. If the gps is active,it should be usable to us even if someone has to write a peice of software to make it work. The reason we cant do it now,and cant on other similar phones is becuase its in the radio rom that we have the problem. In fact EPST can access the GPS data on the mogul. Presently it shows it as not present,but when they activate it,I bet it will show the data.